Not one Jaylon Smith thread on the main page

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I was more concerned about his lack of strength at the point of attack.

have you watched Hitchens try to take on OL with free releases? He gets blown up. Maybe McClain spoiled you but there are barely any LB in the league that can really stack much less drive an OL with a free release.

Paea and Collins are supposed to force a double team. They have not done that.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
It's bad enough that you blindly take the word of someone else but they you double down by not even articulating what they claimed went wrong.

Yeah he took some bad angles but everyone on the second level was. They had 2 or more blockers they had to navigate and the HB was coming through the hole untouched and with a full head of steam. Yeah they should have been moving backwards instead of laterally to cut them off but that take just misses the point as to what was going wrong.
:lmao:

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
His pff run defense rating is the lowest in the NFL.

Give him time and then we can judge him. He was forced into starting when he shouldn't be.

His recovery has been a great story!

Yes, agreed. I will be more interested to see his PFF ratings at the end of the year. We've hardly scratched the surface on the 2017 season, let alone Jaylon Smith's career.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
I have seen people post that Paea and Mayowa played well. Completely opposite of what I saw. Mayowa was getting dominated and rarely if ever got close to the QB, playing against a rookie to start the game and then a backup for the rest. Collins and Paea were easily getting turned in the run game and neither were showing their explosive ability at collapsing the pocket that both are supposed to have.

Lee missed more tackles than I have ever seen him but at least he was in position. Smith was in on a lot of tackles but most were assists and most were well down the field. I thought he was ok considering his first year playing and still limited by injury. Byron Jones was really bad and Heath got beat by play action multiple times and also missed quite a few tackles.

Lawrence had a good game, Tapper was decent in limited time and Crawford made a little noise but that is about it. No one else on the D had anything close to a "good" game.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
His pff run defense rating is the lowest in the NFL.

Give him time and then we can judge him. He was forced into starting when he shouldn't be.

His recovery has been a great story!

This is important to remember. He's been awful, but he's not 100%. Hopefully he continues to improve as the season goes on.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I have seen people post that Paea and Mayowa played well. Completely opposite of what I saw. Mayowa was getting dominated and rarely if ever got close to the QB, playing against a rookie to start the game and then a backup for the rest. Collins and Paea were easily getting turned in the run game and neither were showing their explosive ability at collapsing the pocket that both are supposed to have.

Lee missed more tackles than I have ever seen him but at least he was in position.
Smith was in on a lot of tackles but most were assists and most were well down the field. I thought he was ok considering his first year playing and still limited by injury. Byron Jones was really bad and Heath got beat by play action multiple times and also missed quite a few tackles.

Lawrence had a good game, Tapper was decent in limited time and Crawford made a little noise but that is about it. No one else on the D had anything close to a "good" game.
Which is failure. Horsehoes and hand grenades baby.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Which is failure. Horsehoes and hand grenades baby.

I agree it still is a bad game but being able to be in position is primary to being able to make plays. For whatever reason he wasn't able to finish but it isn't like him to have that issue.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I agree it still is a bad game but being able to be in position is primary to being able to make plays. For whatever reason he wasn't able to finish but it isn't like him to have that issue.
Old boy will rebound "bigly".
I have zero doubt.

Pants

Reaction score
my, oh, my....Jaylon IS learning....he has played two games, two, not two seasons....

love this guy, had 7 tackles week 1 (4 solo), 10 week 2 (3 solo)......I am thinking 12 this week, with 6 solo tackles (to whomever is catching the RB balls out of the backfield)

Sydla

Reaction score
have you watched Hitchens try to take on OL with free releases? He gets blown up. Maybe McClain spoiled you but there are barely any LB in the league that can really stack much less drive an OL with a free release.

Paea and Collins are supposed to force a double team. They have not done that.

The sudden Hitchens love is peculiar to me. As you said, he doesn't hold up against OL either.

And there is no chance he has the speed to stop that reverse the Giants ran week one like Smith did. The OL would have demolished him.

Sydla

Reaction score
It was roundly agreed by all the analysts around town that Jaylon had a really rough game on Sunday. Sean Lee was basically playing his and Jaylon's position at the same time much of the day.

It'll get better. We'll see how much.

LOL stop with the Lee was bad because he had to make up for Smith BS you keep trying to sell.

Sydla

Reaction score
It's bad enough that you blindly take the word of someone else but they you double down by not even articulating what they claimed went wrong.

Yeah he took some bad angles but everyone on the second level was. They had 2 or more blockers they had to navigate and the HB was coming through the hole untouched and with a full head of steam. Yeah they should have been moving backwards instead of laterally to cut them off but that take just misses the point as to what was going wrong.

A better question to ask is who exactly in the media even said Lee performed poorly because he had to play two LB positions?