Not one Jaylon Smith thread on the main page

visionary

Reaction score
What plan other than having the backup start when a starter goes down can any FO have?

Maybe he should not have been the back up ?

Maybe they should have traded for a capable MLB?

Maybe they should not have spent a rd 2 pick on a player who could not start for over a year?

A FO has options but they chose to roll the dice and came up empty

It is pretty clear that he still has difficulty planting and cutting and his speed is limited

MLB is an extremely important position and when your MLB isn't healthy enough to play effectively it impacts the whole defense

Proof

Reaction score
Maybe he should not have been the back up ?

Maybe they should have traded for a capable MLB?

Maybe they should not have spent a rd 2 pick on a player who could not start for over a year?

A FO has options but they chose to roll the dice and came up empty

It is pretty clear that he still has difficulty planting and cutting and his speed is limited

MLB is an extremely important position and when your MLB isn't healthy enough to play effectively it impacts the whole defense

ehh. hitchens is the starter. that was the plan. he got hurt. end of story.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
As expected, this guy is quietly going about incorporating his skill into the defense (as planned...... ) when he was drafted last offseason. It seems like just yesterday that so many of us indicated he would never see the field and found every expletive to call our scouting team for taking him as a red shirt.

WELP.......

The guy is quietly getting up to speed on the field and in game action. It's such a beautiful thing to behold. He may not be making a huge difference yet but, in essence, this is his second game of his rookie campaign. Just you wait.. I give it until mid season and some special things are going to start happening.

Can you hear it? That's the sound of the J Train chugging along quietly through your yard.

Wooooooooo woooooooooooooo!
Blimey! It could be the fanbase coming back to earth after Jaylon spent the offseason teasing us about his majesty and his rehab. After all that hype by Jaylon and the fans, I thought he'd be a combination of Chuck Howley and Leroy Jordan.
But the season is young and hope sprigs eternal and all tha.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Blimey! It could be the fanbase coming back to earth after Jaylon spent the offseason teasing us about his majesty and his rehab. After all that hype by Jaylon and the fans, I thought he'd be a combination of Chuck Howley and Leroy Jordan.
'Ear wot now?
I need me a *** and a spot...

Not that ***, you goobers.

plasticman

Reaction score
Sean Lee and Jaylon Smith are both tied for 10 place for combined tackles and assists in a league of 32 teams and approximately 110-115 starting linebackers, 60 DE's and 60-70 safeties.

Both have 17 combined tackles and assists which is probably the greatest indicator for an active 4-3 LB.

Top Ten in the league (Rams and 49ers excluded due to 3 games played):

Name Comb
Jatavis Brown 26
Zach Brown 22
Vincent Rey 22
Ramon Humber 21
Myles Jack 20
Demario Davis 20
B.J. Goodson 18
C.J. Mosley 18
P.J. Williams 18

9 Players tied for 10th

Sean Lee 17
Matthias Farley 17
K.J. Wright 17
Darron Lee 17
Wesley Woodyard 17
Anthony Barr 17
Karlos Dansby 17
Benardrick McKinney 17
Jaylon Smith 17

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The entire point of the grading system is that it's subjective. It's essentially the eye test on each and every play. A QB throws a perfect pass that the WR bats in the air--it's picked off an the defense scores. Bad play by the QB right? According to objective stats--yes. According to PFF's subjective grade--no.

I'm not really interested in what you're fairly certain of. The grades are consistent and easy to measure against the eye test. It's not perfect--and that's kind of the point--but it's the best service of it's kind. I'm not saying take it as gospel, but I'll gladly take their word over any and everyone here.

As for the results being proven to be garbage--that's your call. Just as it's mine to laugh that claim off.

No: I don't work for them.

Just tell me who grades the film. It it full time employees grading all film?

They rated Doug Free over Tyron Smith at one point...

People have repeatedly taken their games of a player and then stepped through the game play by play to compare. It turned out garbage every time.

It would be great to have a legit grade on players but PFF's grades are nonsense.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don't know if this was already mentioned, but Taylor Stern says Jaylon got injured while trying to tackle Zeke. I never knew that.

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
Honestly he looks like a guy who hasn't played a lot of football the last year and some change. It will take more time for Smith to get fully acclimated to the NFL game.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
I don't know many rookies that have stepped foot on an NFL field and looked like Chuck or LeeRoy just two games into their NFL careers. Our fans continue to amazing me.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Jaylon Smith is not only coming back from a substantial injury, he's also a rookie since this is his first real NFL action.

The fact he's not Luke Kuechly or Ray Lewis eight quarters into his career should neither surprise nor concern anybody.
Thank you. These ppl I swear.. Lol

He is right on schedule... #ClearEyeView

Pants

Reaction score
JSmith is a student of the game...once he gets accustomed to NFL speed and schemes, he is going to be a good one...he is already good, he is on his way this year to REALLY good, and then on to great next season....give the kid some time to get acclimated to the NFL....

diefree666

Reaction score

People have repeatedly taken their games of a player and then stepped through the game play by play to compare. It turned out garbage every time.

It would be great to have a legit grade on players but PFF's grades are nonsense.

actually I do think he works for them. I tried to point out that they did not have the people available to actually do the work they claim to do but he just brushed that off as unimportant.

One of the dumbest things they do is basically make all penalties equal- no matter what situation it was or what time of the game it was.

My last straw came several years ago when we beat the Giants and Tony had a very good game; better than Eli's stats in EVERY category. Yet PFF said Eli played significantly better.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
JSmith is a student of the game...once he gets accustomed to NFL speed and schemes, he is going to be a good one...he is already good, he is on his way this year to REALLY good, and then on to great next season....give the kid some time to get acclimated to the NFL....
Salute!

ConceptCoop

Reaction score

They never graded Free over Smith over any significant stretch of time. They love Smith and have since we drafted him. Free, not so much. Maybe some of you should spend a few minutes with Google to answer your own questions. Or don't--who cares. Ignorance can be fun.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They never graded Free over Smith over any significant stretch of time. They love Smith and have since we drafted him. Free, not so much. Maybe some of you should spend a few minutes with Google to answer your own questions. Or don't--who cares. Ignorance can be fun.

If you had some awareness, you would know the people you're arguing with here, do actually dig into the details and do study "film" (i.e. Me, @FuzzyLumpkins , etc..). You're not talking to the "Dak is RG3 after 2 games crowd".

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Jaylon Smith is not only coming back from a substantial injury, he's also a rookie since this is his first real NFL action.

The fact he's not Luke Kuechly or Ray Lewis eight quarters into his career should neither surprise nor concern anybody.

:clap:

bodi

Reaction score
he will never be a dominate MLBER "

was he on the field at the end - the most important time of the game

its time to draft one again

there are a number LBERS to draft this year

Last edited:

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
#ClearEyeView

The haters and doubters will eventually come around as he continues to enjoy settling into his rookie campaign.