Not so fast on the Mccarthy love

lukin2006

Reaction score
If you can not see the big difference between McCarthy and what was here before well the Giants need fans…

My only issue with MM is game management…but get what, the Buffalo coach cost his team a victory last night…

Andy Reid is not a great game manager…

it is something I’ll gripe about but I am thrilled with the winning.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I gave Garrett 6 years before I wanted him gone. Not going to rail on MM but also won’t give him that long to produce results either, especially if he continues making blatant time management mistakes.

That said, if we flame out in playoffs, I wonder if Jerry moves on so he doesn’t lose Moore thinking he is missing the next Sean Payton.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Look… there are a ton of aspects to being a head coach. In-game time management is just one of them. Some of the things that I look for in a well coached team are playing fast, physical football, having a positive turnover ratio and team chemistry. Those things are almost always present on a well coached team.

Another big thing is team chemistry. When a team is well coached, you can sense it in how the team plays together and in the locker room.

Finally, every good coach, when they take over a team, you can see the team getting better over time. They improve week-to-week as they weed out mistakes and figure out what they do best.

All of those things are present in this Dallas team. They’re physical as hell, don’t turn the ball over much and the entire team seems to love each other. Plus, they have been improving since Mike took over. You could see it last year when they were miles better in the second half of the season… even with Dak and half the OL out with injuries, and Nolan as the defensive coordinator.

This year has continued that growth and maturation as a team. Yes, Mike has made some mistakes in time management and has maybe gone for it on 4th down a couple of times when he shouldn’t have… but there are tons of signs that the team is well run and that the locker room is in lock-step with the coaching.

Finally, Dallas is clearly a well coached team.

Honestly, if you know football well, there shouldn’t be a whole lot of questions about McCarthy right now. It is just that casual fans hear the announcers questioning a time out or 4th down call, and they jump right on that bandwagon and start complaining about McCarthy.

It would be easier to listen to if the team wasn’t kicking *** and sitting at 5-1 at their bye. Oh well, there are always a ton more casual fans than the fans that really know what they’re seeing. That’s life on a football message board, I suppose.

Big_D

Reaction score
You actually have to get to the playoffs first. Garrett was with the team 10 years when they went 5-1. lol This is not that.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I'm not confident that Mccarthy is that guy yet. If I remember right, JG once went 5-1 with a rookie dak.

What will change my mind? A nfccg birth. I don't want to settle for playoffs or 8-8 anymore. I want to taste success once again.

Who here is with me?

I'm not sure about an nfccg birth, that would be kind of weird, but my expectation for him always has been getting this team back to the playoffs his first year and a berth in the NFC Championship Game his second year. He failed on the first one, but I accept that there were major reasons for that. We'll see this year. At the very least, his team needs to win one playoff game and perform well in the second one.

RonWashington

Reaction score
I'm not confident that Mccarthy is that guy yet. If I remember right, JG once went 5-1 with a rookie dak.

What will change my mind? A nfccg birth. I don't want to settle for playoffs or 8-8 anymore. I want to taste success once again.

Who here is with me?

McCarthy is 11-11 after 22 games. Wasn’t the clapper on an 8-8 treadmill ?

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
I'm not confident that MM is the guy yet. Everybody puts the yet on the end of that sentence. Why because MM hasn't had years on top of years lot to prove himself. This is his first real season with Dallas, IMO. Because of all the adversities of last year I'm not including last year as part of my assessment of MM. So the yet on the end of everyone's assessment of MM means he has time to change their minds. And if he has time to change your mind, then we gripe about him?

His in game management is not great, and it may never be great. But he has this team ready to play and compete in every game. And that's something we didn't see from Garrett.

elcowboi

Reaction score

Who here is with me?

Let me know when you're confident so I know when I can be confident...

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
Nobody is confident in McCarthy besides a few homers but I’ll say this about the guy. He’s miles better than Garrett.

Well, from what I've seen, he's not "miles better than Garrett". The Cowboys are 5-1 in spite of McCarthy, to some degree. Sure, the culture is different, but that's partly because there's new key players and a new DC. So sure, the culture is different.

The Cowboys barely beating the sucky Pats (in OT) still doesn't give me confidence that this team can make a deep playoff run. They have a lot improving to do, especially on defense. Offensive teams still seem to have their way with this Cowboys defense. And the offense is still too sloppy (bad turnovers and silly penalties).

I wanted Garrett gone, no matter what...though I wasn't thrilled with the McCarthy hire. And still, to date, I'm still not thrilled. He's average at best, from what I can tell. And I feel like in the playoffs, this team will get outcoached...and that still pisses me off.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Well, from what I've seen, he's not "miles better than Garrett". The Cowboys are 5-1 in spite of McCarthy, to some degree. Sure, the culture is different, but that's partly because there's new key players and a new DC. So sure, the culture is different.

The Cowboys barely beating the sucky Pats (in OT) still doesn't give me confidence that this team can make a deep playoff run. They have a lot improving to do, especially on defense. Offensive teams still seem to have their way with this Cowboys defense. And the offense is still too sloppy (bad turnovers and silly penalties).

I wanted Garrett gone, no matter what...though I wasn't thrilled with the McCarthy hire. And still, to date, I'm still not thrilled. He's average at best, from what I can tell. And I feel like in the playoffs, this team will get outcoached...and that still pisses me off.

Allowing coaches to run modern day scheme makes him miles better than Garrett.

plasticman

Reaction score
Garrett was one Aaron Rodgers miracle throw away from taking the Cowboys to the NFC championship game. I was deeply disappointed that he couldn't take the Cowboys farther and I have always pointed out his flaws. However, using ther word "hate" is extreme for a guy that wears two Cowboy Super Bowl rings and was trying his best to win.

Perhaps there are some among you that did not succeed at a certain goal. How badly were you hated for it?

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I will take him over Garrett any day of the week. He's not perfect but way better than any of the coaches in the NFC least.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score

Who here is with me?
we all want 8-8, thats why we post every day

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Look… there are a ton of aspects to being a head coach. In-game time management is just one of them. Some of the things that I look for in a well coached team are playing fast, physical football, having a positive turnover ratio and team chemistry. Those things are almost always present on a well coached team.

Another big thing is team chemistry. When a team is well coached, you can sense it in how the team plays together and in the locker room.

Finally, every good coach, when they take over a team, you can see the team getting better over time. They improve week-to-week as they weed out mistakes and figure out what they do best.

All of those things are present in this Dallas team. They’re physical as hell, don’t turn the ball over much and the entire team seems to love each other. Plus, they have been improving since Mike took over. You could see it last year when they were miles better in the second half of the season… even with Dak and half the OL out with injuries, and Nolan as the defensive coordinator.

This year has continued that growth and maturation as a team. Yes, Mike has made some mistakes in time management and has maybe gone for it on 4th down a couple of times when he shouldn’t have… but there are tons of signs that the team is well run and that the locker room is in lock-step with the coaching.

Finally, Dallas is clearly a well coached team.

Honestly, if you know football well, there shouldn’t be a whole lot of questions about McCarthy right now. It is just that casual fans hear the announcers questioning a time out or 4th down call, and they jump right on that bandwagon and start complaining about McCarthy.

It would be easier to listen to if the team wasn’t kicking *** and sitting at 5-1 at their bye. Oh well, there are always a ton more casual fans than the fans that really know what they’re seeing. That’s life on a football message board, I suppose.
Some hear or read things and parrot it. This is a very good team. We're a couple of plays from 6-0. A week off to rest and prepare and there isn't a team on our schedule we can't beat.