Not talking me into this being a good pick, sorry

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Excellent response. Who else got the recheck because more info is better?

I'll wait.

What is your argument?

lol the guy doesn't have a neck issue.

5 teams flagging it is about the best anyone can come up with.

If you want to trust Walter football then by all means go ahead.

There are much better sources saying this is nothing.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
Enough of the Aaron R. R-E-L-A-X quote. It is now so 90s.

Everyone else did NOT think the same thing. Open mouth & insert your foot.

My question was rhetorical. But for the record, you were WRONG!!! Not the first time nor will it be your last.
Lol thanks for your input. Fantastic post. Welcome to the board.

crazyeddie

Reaction score
Why trash the pick before he even plays a snap.I'm always in the wait and see camp when it comes to players,especially young ones.

He could be a great addition,lets wait and see.

CavalierOsprey

Reaction score
What is your argument?

lol the guy doesn't have a neck issue.

5 teams flagging it is about the best anyone can come up with.

If you want to trust Walter football then by all means go ahead.

There are much better sources saying this is nothing.

More so a once bitten twice shy reaction. And I openly admit it. The "football gods" don't do us many favors. The oh s&!$ here we go again in me hears of an injury concern followed by Jerry addressing the non-injury as a non-issue after recheck.

I admit that I fast forwarded in time and could already hear the Cowboy haters beating the proverbial drum of our storied history of drafting injured players expecting injury free careers when they typically are anything but.....

Fingers crossed is all I can say.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Hmmm... that might make sense @xwalker if you could actually point out some instance of me predicting good things or bad things for a specific drafted player... because I don't actually do that normally. Maybe I'm forgetting something, but I don't think I am... perhaps you're shooting from the azz and confusing me with someone else (?). All I ever do is discuss what we can actually know... in this case, I know I like the player (for the 27th time) and/but know I don't like where we picked him (for the 27th time). My thoughts are actually pretty much parallel to what Brugler has been saying ever since, fwiw.

JJGR8

Reaction score
IMO I believe some teams may have said LVE had a neck issue with the intent to move him down the draft board in hopes of grabbing him in the 2nd or 3rd round. The guy is a stud with a lot of upside! The FO did not draft him without doing their homework on potential injuries.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
IMO I believe some teams may have said LVE had a neck issue with the intent to move him down the draft board in hopes of grabbing him in the 2nd or 3rd round. The guy is a stud with a lot of upside! The FO did not draft him without doing their homework on potential injuries.
We know the Titans (22) cancelled a visit with him because they knew he wasn't getting past 19.
We also know the Steelers (28) were wishing they had a chance to draft him and came out that they found nothing wrong with his neck.

There just isn't any way he was going to fall into a lower round. Now maybe someone hoped they fell in the later first. Eagles were reportedly liked him as well. Also think the Chargers might have taken him had James not been there.

DanA

Reaction score
He’s missing a very specific skill I was hoping our MIKE had which is the ability blow up a downfield block and create a clean path for Lee.

He can cover side line to side line, he reads the play well, sticks his tackles and can cover. He just needs to learn to use his 33 7/8 arms which are longer than most linemens! It should be in his locker, so far it hasn’t been.

Oreycsg

Reaction score

Lemme try:

First lets agree. At 19 LVE is a reach strictly in terms of BPA unweighted toward need. Leighton Vander-Esch is older than Evans, has less experience than Evans, amd played against weaker competition. However, strictly in terms pf over all draft value, and strategy to get as many big contributors as possible days 1 and 2. And with the gap between rd 3 WRs and rd1 in this draft instantly the value is heavily weighted towards LB. So lets talk strictly player. At 19 Leighton was the most versatile LB on the board by far. You can line him up at any spot in any scheme and he has the athletic ability to not only contribute, but flourish. He is really very good at sifting through garbage on the line and stopping the run. He also has great diagnosis skills in short zone coverage. He will be a starter day 1, and will be an immediate impact because Vander Esch is big. LVE is athletic. LVE is a hard worker. These three things are what got him drafted here. His presence in the run game made DT of lesser value to the team (not that they needed much help there) which opened us up to being able to take Williams, and Gallup, and even Shultz instead of a DT. Take all this and now remind yourself that he is a one year starter and improved on each of those attributes week to week and you are looking at a high ceiling comperable to Kuechly. The Bobby Carpenter numbers scare me too, and Im not as big of a fan of boise as Dallas is, but this pick was actually a really good well thought out move that really maxed the value of the draft as a whole, and has really given options as to the lineup. Whereas an Evans pick gives you 3 starting LBs that are all arguably best at Will, and provides a slightly better floor for a much worse ceiling.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Waving monkey, talk about a guy with an agenda! Listen I know u are a troll& u would like me to come on here & use words that will get me banished from here so im not going to do that. What I will do is debate u on ur argument@ it's core. U said; Barbie Carpenter is nowhere near LVE, I think ur just saying that now because u don't know nothing else to say. Let's compare if I may.
Barbie had a 40 time of 4.66. LVE time is 4.65 Barbie had a 3cone drill of 6.88. LVE time is 6.88 Barbie had a broad jump of 10 feet 4 inches (3.15 meters) LVE broad jump is 124 inches which is roughly 10 feet 4 inches
Barbie did 20 reps in Bench press. LVE did 20 reps in Bench press.
You see waving monkey these erie similar numbers, now my major was Communications not Math but my older brother is an engineer so I think I can see how similar these measures are. So then how can one say one is superiorly rated over the other. Then take into consideration that Barbie started on a Championship game in 2002 as a freshman& played 4 years in college. LVE has one year of starting experience& 1year of production. Barbie played in the Big Ten, LVE @ mountain West. Big difference in competition. Barbie comes from a blood line of football players in his family with his dad playing for Parcels. LVE just started football & his sisters played Volleyball. Now u may tend to think the Cowboys select the best players & they are a competent organization. I think very differently;'-) u see cuz I've seen them make moves similar to the moves their making now& not a shred of success has followed those moves. So u can dispute it& argue it& say it to the cow jumps over the moon. Your afraid to critique this organization, I'm just dumfounded on the amount of fans like yourself that don't criticize them as to say the last 23 years don't warrant criticism. Im not part of that crowd, I'm part of the crowd that has seen all this before so in all actuality u should thank me because 2-3 years from now when we're looking for a LB in the draft & we look back & see why LVE wasn't successful, maybe u can recall this post& say ; someone did prophesize this.....u can thank me now, u can thank me later but nevertheless you will thank me:;'-)) waving to you wavy;'-)
first off the only reason Bobbie got taken was because of his bloodline on tis team and stayed past his welcome.. the part you forget is the Motor, the drive and mental aspect of plying MLB, LVE is showing he has this, has to prove he can continue it at this level is TBD.. saying hes failure before he starts is ridiculous.. The bloodline made BC feel like they owed him something, sense of entitlement comes with that and his big school background where he was coddled.. a guy that fought his way from playing two way 8 man football in HS and come onto the scene in college late and was playing catchup..the light came on and hes just now starting to show his potential..

His background wheres he fought to get where hes at gives him a much better chance to make it than BC did..BC turned out to be a bit lazy and just didnt play hard every snap..I don't think LVE will have this issue and Drive and effort can take you over the top with all things physically equal..

lest take breath and give LVE a chance

John813

Reaction score
Lemme try:

First lets agree. At 19 LVE is a reach strictly in terms of BPA unweighted toward need. Leighton Vander-Esch is older than Evans, has less experience than Evans, amd played against weaker competition.

FWIW

Top linebackers in draft class and age:
Evans: November 1996
Vander Esch: February 2017
Smith: April 2017
Edmunds: May 2018.

I agree with your writeup though.

Ccijcladac

Reaction score
first off the only reason Bobbie got taken was because of his bloodline on tis team and stayed past his welcome.. the part you forget is the Motor, the drive and mental aspect of plying MLB, LVE is showing he has this, has to prove he can continue it at this level is TBD.. saying hes failure before he starts is ridiculous.. The bloodline made BC feel like they owed him something, sense of entitlement comes with that and his big school background where he was coddled.. a guy that fought his way from playing two way 8 man football in HS and come onto the scene in college late and was playing catchup..the light came on and hes just now starting to show his potential..

His background wheres he fought to get where hes at gives him a much better chance to make it than BC did..BC turned out to be a bit lazy and just didnt play hard every snap..I don't think LVE will have this issue and Drive and effort can take you over the top with all things physically equal..

lest take breath and give LVE a chance
Are you sure blue blood? Cuz I've been watching film on him since we drafted him & I see him getting blown up against BYU of all teams..that doesn't bode well for making a successful transition to higher & better competition. I sure hope so trust me but @ times my organization may take a reach for a player. I think this maybe one of them.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lemme try:

First lets agree. At 19 LVE is a reach strictly in terms of BPA unweighted toward need. Leighton Vander-Esch is older than Evans, has less experience than Evans, amd played against weaker competition. However, strictly in terms pf over all draft value, and strategy to get as many big contributors as possible days 1 and 2. And with the gap between rd 3 WRs and rd1 in this draft instantly the value is heavily weighted towards LB. So lets talk strictly player. At 19 Leighton was the most versatile LB on the board by far. You can line him up at any spot in any scheme and he has the athletic ability to not only contribute, but flourish. He is really very good at sifting through garbage on the line and stopping the run. He also has great diagnosis skills in short zone coverage. He will be a starter day 1, and will be an immediate impact because Vander Esch is big. LVE is athletic. LVE is a hard worker. These three things are what got him drafted here. His presence in the run game made DT of lesser value to the team (not that they needed much help there) which opened us up to being able to take Williams, and Gallup, and even Shultz instead of a DT. Take all this and now remind yourself that he is a one year starter and improved on each of those attributes week to week and you are looking at a high ceiling comperable to Kuechly. The Bobby Carpenter numbers scare me too, and Im not as big of a fan of boise as Dallas is, but this pick was actually a really good well thought out move that really maxed the value of the draft as a whole, and has really given options as to the lineup. Whereas an Evans pick gives you 3 starting LBs that are all arguably best at Will, and provides a slightly better floor for a much worse ceiling.

Evans is 3 months older than Vander Esch.

Edmunds is about 15 months younger than Vander Esch.

I don't get the love some people had for Evans. At 232 pounds is he WLB only? He is probably a Safe-ish pick but I'm not sure about the upside. Sometimes his coverage ability looked good but other times it was ugly. He made a lot of plays in the offensive backfield but his DL made a lot of that possible. He is unlikely to get nearly as many blitz opportunities in the NFL. He had experience, top competition and top coaching but does that translate into understanding NFL schemes better in the long run than other players once they are all past their rookie seasons?