Now it makes sense about hiring Kellen

75boyz

Reaction score
Maybe he learned what not to do?

Might be as simple as that possibly but would be more believable if Garrett's offensive influence weren't involved I think.
My opinion is more of the same with maybe a wrinkle here or there. Like something drastic as maybe a run play called inside the 5. Lol. I could be wrong, of course.

cern

Reaction score
If Moore does well, there's no reason for Jerry to get rid of Garrett.
what if moore does so well he becomes a hc candidate for other teams. will we just let him go for the sake of keeping garrett??? might be a good enough reason to 86 garrett and promote moore to hc.

links18

Reaction score
My limited understanding of big picture football is as follows:

Linehan got Moore to Detroit as an undtafted free agent QB where he was the back up QB. Was instrumental in Moore's coming to Dallas as first a back up QB and then QB coach.

So, with all that said and after his long time mentor has been fired, are we to believe that his student had been holding back this true creative genius in waiting that he has always been with regards to Offensive Coordinating? When all of his professional learning has been received under the guy who was just fired? And not having one year of actual NFL experience in performing the job?

Maybe, it's just me. Maybe the logic behind the choice seems a tad too convenient or impulsive in the grand scheme of things.

But if the majority of Cowboys fans are truly honest with themselves and genuinely able to ignore message board narrative agendas and relational vendettas, this coaching staff choice reeks of desperation and "in my opinion" is set up for ultimate failure.

Set-up for failure intentionally or unintentionally?

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
No reason to promote to OC. Not one reason. JG can do both. And, then leave after next season. Course, he should be gone now. But, that's only what smart GM's/owners would do. Still, players like playing for Garrett. So , what a mystery.

I'm reading some of these comments in here and I can't believe it. What the heck has Moore done to be considered for an OC job? Let alone a HC job in the future? HUH?

Really, ?

What am I missing here?

75boyz

Reaction score
what if moore does so well he becomes a hc candidate for other teams. will we just let him go for the sake of keeping garrett??? might be a good enough reason to 86 garrett and promote moore to hc.

Nothing personal whatsoever towards your post brother trust me in terms of my response.

But I will call on a couple of cliches such as "Seeing is Believing" and "Show Me Im from Missouri."

These are the same 2 statements I have been holding the Cowboys Front Office to regarding foundational change in their organization for the past quarter century and I don't see much, if any drastic change.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
They are not extending Garrett so why would you go out and convince some guy to come into this organization if you plan on hiring a new head coach in a year who will want his own staff anyways?

This way you can test out a new guy while lessoning the sting of being fired a year later.

Same with Kitna

giphy-downsized.gif

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It would, but since when does reason have any bearing on Jerry's decisions?

75boyz

Reaction score
Set-up for failure intentionally or unintentionally?

Yep, that's my deeper onion layered conundrum. Like a Master Plan where the Front office can play it off by the options of firing Garrett and Moore together, Firing just Garrett or firing just Moore. I believe these type options/conspiracy theories were touched on by previous posters and don't seem completely out of the realm of possibilities in my mind.

The more that things change, the more they stay the same.
Jones Family Cartel motto and that Dallas Cowboys Brand money maker just keeps on truck in along. Gravy Train style.

Ring6

StarSchema
Reaction score
Moore was getting asked for interviews, DC were denying those requests. Promotion to OC means they want to not lose him to some other team, as now they'd have to interview him for a HC position. I'm glad they are trying to keep a good young offensive mind, and next year is really kind of a perfect proving ground to see what he has. Even if the playbook is split, they'll know whose plays worked better at the end of the day.

Dre11

Reaction score
if it is a "make it or break it year" for Garrett, wouldn't he want to in as much control of his destiny as he could be. Therefore, Moore is just window dressing? Garrett will be de facto OC?

There's reports Jason wanted Linenhan gone.

Dre11

Reaction score
Ya know, we know nothing of the reason why Garrett is not being extended. It was just weeks ago that Booger made that comment about him landing 1 of 5 jobs and he's had his back when he's been under fire.

How do we know Garrett hasn't asked for an extension and in fact, doesn't even want to discuss one? He's on the last year of this contract and given an inexperienced OC and QBC to fix the main problem of the team.

While he is not liked by most here, I do not think that sentiment is shared by those that have been around him at NFL meetings and if there's a group that is aware of Booger's hands on approach with the team, it is that group of owners and GM's. And don't think one wouldn't want him to be their GM either.

Maybe it isn't Booger making the call on the extension? Maybe Garrett has had his fill of that family run circus with more clowns waiting in the wings to join the front office? None of those people, not one of them, would be in the NFL in those capacities if not for Booger buying the team. Maybe it's Garrett playing his contract out? How else do you explain Moore as the OC?

Of course, he could be planning on a move into the front office because he has been like family for quite some time. And the Joneses are quite adept at promoting for nothing accomplished.

Hmmmm, might be on to something.

75boyz

Reaction score
No reason to promote to OC. Not one reason. JG can do both. And, then leave after next season. Course, he should be gone now. But, that's only what smart GM's/owners would do. Still, players like playing for Garrett. So , what a mystery.

I'm reading some of these comments in here and I can't believe it. What the heck has Moore done to be considered for an OC job? Let alone a HC job in the future? HUH?

Really, ?

What am I missing here?

You and me both brother..And we're not alone in our thinking.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Might be as simple as that possibly but would be more believable if Garrett's offensive influence weren't involved I think.
My opinion is more of the same with maybe a wrinkle here or there. Like something drastic as maybe a run play called inside the 5. Lol. I could be wrong, of course.
A run play inside the 5 would confuse the whole NFL coming from us..

Asklesko

Reaction score
It has always made perfect sense, because Jerry Jones is a genius who is always 6 steps ahead

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
before worrying what might happen and canning garrett, lets wait and see how moore will do

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nothing personal whatsoever towards your post brother trust me in terms of my response.

But I will call on a couple of cliches such as "Seeing is Believing" and "Show Me Im from Missouri."

These are the same 2 statements I have been holding the Cowboys Front Office to regarding foundational change in their organization for the past quarter century and I don't see much, if any drastic change.
Jerry is definitely playing it very close to the vest. He is either clutching a pair of twos or a straight flush in a game of Texas hold 'em. He will pay with his pride or sweep the chips in.

cern

Reaction score
It would, but since when does reason have any bearing on Jerry's decisions?
I think more and more these are stephen's decisions. Not Jerry's. Jerry says tony will be qb after 2016 injury. But dak remains. Jerry says dez will be cowboy in 2018. Stephen showed him the door. New o-line coach alexander fired mid season. Garrett says linehan staying. Few days later he's fired. All these moves have stephen's stamp on them.

cern

Reaction score

before worrying what might happen and canning garrett, lets wait and see how moore will do
That's why my post was prefaced by words "what if".