Now it makes sense about hiring Kellen

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You and most others in this thread were whining about Linehan. Now that he’s gone you’re whining about the new OC. Just as I predicted. It wouldn’t have mattered who Jerry hired you subspecies were going to whine.
What is it with you and your affinity for the word "whine". Is that your response to anything you don't agree with because you decided to be a Pollyanna? Anyone makes an observation about problems on the team and that's always your response.

glimmerman

Reaction score
And we still don't know if Garrett wants to continue and the HC of the DC.

glimm, what happened a couple of weeks back when not only did Garrett have to crawfish on Linehan staying but he was fired on that following Friday might have been a little too much taking one for the team.

Do we think that Garrett, through his agent, doesn't know what type of commodity he would be on the open market? One man's trash is another's treasure. And wouldn't it be fun if Gruden gets the 3:10 to Yuma out of D.C after this season and Garrett steps off in D.C.? That's my dream scenario because I love messes.
JG been collecting 30 million over the last 5 years. No telling how much before that. He could take his toys and go home with his pretty wife.

You would have a hard time convincing me he would have teams chomping to snag him up as HC.

kskboys

Reaction score
The comment I responded to wasn't about when Jerry made comments, it was about the idea that Romo only got injured because the team didn't put a good O-Line in front of him.
That was one of the primary reasons. Back in 2012 when we went w/ Costa as the starter at OC, the rush was plowing him over and was in his face at the snap on many downs. That didn't get any better until Romo held Jerry hostage and only agreed to a contract restructure if Jerry took OL in the first. I always thought that was the reason we traded back in the 1st, so Jerry would still have plenty of draft picks to play w/.

Romo often did hold onto the ball too long, and at the time the prevailing thought was that it was due to the long developing routes that JG loves, a scheme that was carried on w/ Linehan. We only finally got a bit away from that when we started 3-5 and JG's and Linehan's bums were on the line.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That was one of the primary reasons. Back in 2012 when we went w/ Costa as the starter at OC, the rush was plowing him over and was in his face at the snap on many downs. That didn't get any better until Romo held Jerry hostage and only agreed to a contract restructure if Jerry took OL in the first. I always thought that was the reason we traded back in the 1st, so Jerry would still have plenty of draft picks to play w/.

Romo often did hold onto the ball too long, and at the time the prevailing thought was that it was due to the long developing routes that JG loves, a scheme that was carried on w/ Linehan. We only finally got a bit away from that when we started 3-5 and JG's and Linehan's bums were on the line.

I don't disagree that Romo played with some sub-par O-Lines, but it is fair to note that most of the injuries that coast him significant playing time were not the result of sub par O-Lines.

kskboys

Reaction score
I don't disagree that Romo played with some sub-par O-Lines, but it is fair to note that most of the injuries that coast him significant playing time were not the result of sub par O-Lines.
Yes and no. A bad OL affects all facets of your O. So even though a bad OL may not be responsible for that specific play in which he got injured, it could easily be the underlying cause. Were there fewer options due to needing more help for the OL in blocking? Was the QB's play subpar to begin w/ due to the OL? Were we behind due to poor OL play, meaning the QB has to make more plays to win, which means he has to stand in there and can't throw the ball away?

A horrific D was also a cause of Romo getting hurt. Maybe Romo was already hurt from previous hits.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
They are not extending Garrett so why would you go out and convince some guy to come into this organization if you plan on hiring a new head coach in a year who will want his own staff anyways?

This way you can test out a new guy while lessoning the sting of being fired a year later.

Same with Kitna
Cowboy fans will get what they want the way Jerry Jones wants to give it to them. Super Bowl/NFC Championship game or Jason Garrett fired. He has done this before and Garrett went 12-4 after 3 years in a row of 8-8 seasons. Since he fired a coach that won back to back Super Bowls,, you are getting it the way Jerry Jones wants to give it to you for the last 24 going on 25 years.

You are finally at the beginning of wisdom Grasshopper.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
They are not extending Garrett so why would you go out and convince some guy to come into this organization if you plan on hiring a new head coach in a year who will want his own staff anyways?

This way you can test out a new guy while lessoning the sting of being fired a year later.

Same with Kitna

Word.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
What is it with you and your affinity for the word "whine". Is that your response to anything you don't agree with because you decided to be a Pollyanna? Anyone makes an observation about problems on the team and that's always your response.
I switch between whine, hate, ***** and moan. But it’s only towards posters like yourself who always do it. Pay attention.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
Not just that. There’s a chance that Garrett stays on. Failing to extend him now isn’t committing to letting him go.

Garrett is now effectively on a one-year ‘prove it’ deal. It remains possible for him to prove it. I think it takes nothing less than the NFCCG and reason to believe we can still go further.
I don't disagree with you but I don't see anything at all to believe JG gives us any better chance to win.
Really? Forcing your head coach to take a completely green assistant as the coordinator of his offense in his make or break year is smart?

Or is it simply more of Jerry's micromanaging and a sign of the very cancer that's destroyed this team?

I'll let you decide. Go Cowboys either way.
Well I actually clarified this in a reply to someone else. Definitely not smart to begin with and this statement is my bad in not being clear as it is too late to edit it

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Last time he bounced back with a 12-4 season and won coach of the year. I think this year it is NFC championship game or you are gone regardless of the season record. I believe I heard Jerry say somewhere that just making the playoffs is not enough anymore.
He something about the perception of him was that he was content with Superbowls he already had or something along those lines; as if he was not trying to win and was happy with just being relevant.

Jason also had a coach of the year after Tony went down after he signed his last extension.

75boyz

Reaction score
Question #1
So, Jerry & Co. are planning on hiring a new coach in a year? So, in your book, 2019 season is already written off anyhow, and HQ is working toward 2020?

Question #2
Didn't they convince "some guy" (Kitna) to come into the organization under the circumstances? (It's a minor point, but it at least establishes that it's not a foregone conclusion that no one would be interested in even considering being on this staff.)

Question #3
Does it all make sense?

If it does, boneheaded fan that I am, I need a little more explanation as to why there were several days after Linehan's separation before Moore's name was mentioned... and then, after it was mentioned, there was about two weeks before Moore was offered the position... and so, Moore was, at best, Plan B, probably Plan C, and maybe even Plan D.

Help me understand... while it's only predictable that HQ is going to try to generate all the positive pub on their new OC that they can... how is it that the fan base isn't more lit-up over the bumbling process that ended up having to settle for a back-up plan?

Question #4
There's nothing to say Moore can't or won't be successful. Common sense says that less experience inherently translates to a long... painful... learning curve. But there are rare exceptions to that rule. Given those points...

In hindsight, did Jerry & Co jump too soon to let go of Linehan... how confident can we be that we're in a better position right now than we were before?

Question #5
Jason's been noticeably quiet. In fact, did we not hear Jerry just say that the announcement would come from Jason? But it didn't.

Begs the question... does it all make sense to him? Or is he perhaps feeling some new and unwelcome encroachment from above in determining the composition of his staff, and so not really anxious to put himself out in public yet?

Nice post.

75boyz

Reaction score
Jason Garrett is an offensive coach. If you don't want him involved in his own offense then it's pretty pointless to have him as your head coach. This is micromanaging at it's finest. It's what we've seen from Jerry for over two decades. He thinks he knows better and we've got 23 years of proof that he doesn't.

Double Like.

75boyz

Reaction score
Could be that Richard is holding auditions for his OC if he becomes HC next year. Richard's comments about Dallas being a, "Class organization," has not received much airplay or forum discussion. I find that to be oddly different than the usual over reactive opinions about every little utterance by anyone associated with the Cowboys.

Nice observation.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
That’s what I was saying. This is the best situation for the circumstances. I put myself in their shoes,and it’s really the obvious solution for now when weighing it all out. And I feel good,because either way things are going to happen. If Garrett and Moore can get them over a wild card win,then wonderful. If not? Hey,we’re moving on and looking for someone who can. Win win.

75boyz

Reaction score
This is BS. But not shocking coming from the board's biggest BSer.

My limited understanding of big picture football is as follows:

Linehan got Moore to Detroit as an undtafted free agent QB where he was the back up QB. Was instrumental in Moore's coming to Dallas as first a back up QB and then QB coach.

So, with all that said and after his long time mentor has been fired, are we to believe that his student had been holding back this true creative genius in waiting that he has always been with regards to Offensive Coordinating? When all of his professional learning has been received under the guy who was just fired? And not having one year of actual NFL experience in performing the job?

Maybe, it's just me. Maybe the logic behind the choice seems a tad too convenient or impulsive in the grand scheme of things.

But if the majority of Cowboys fans are truly honest with themselves and genuinely able to ignore message board narrative agendas and relational vendettas, this coaching staff choice reeks of desperation and "in my opinion" is set up for ultimate failure.

kskboys

Reaction score
My limited understanding of big picture football is as follows:

Linehan got Moore to Detroit as an undtafted free agent QB where he was the back up QB. Was instrumental in Moore's coming to Dallas as first a back up QB and then QB coach.

So, with all that said and after his long time mentor has been fired, are we to believe that his student had been holding back this true creative genius in waiting that he has always been with regards to Offensive Coordinating? When all of his professional learning has been received under the guy who was just fired? And not having one year of actual NFL experience in performing the job?

Maybe, it's just me. Maybe the logic behind the choice seems a tad too convenient or impulsive in the grand scheme of things.

But if the majority of Cowboys fans are truly honest with themselves and genuinely able to ignore message board narrative agendas and relational vendettas, this coaching staff choice reeks of desperation and "in my opinion" is set up for ultimate failure.

Maybe he learned what not to do?