Now that the big deal is done, the Cowboys are now setup for E.T. to phone home

Roland

Reaction score
I just don't think the fo will make this move, but what do I know...I was one of the people who didn't think they would let Dez walk either and we all saw how that played out. Do I think he could improve our D, certainly. I was initially for the move and part of me still hopes it may happen. And I believe they have thought about it and prob explored the idea. I just don't see it happening with the way they have been going about contracts with players and getting younger thru the draft. On another note, wans't ET one of those guys that participating in the National Anthem protest? If so, that could be a factor in all of decision making.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
I just don't think the fo will make this move, but what do I know...I was one of the people who didn't think they would let Dez walk either and we all saw how that played out. Do I think he could improve our D, certainly. I was initially for the move and part of me still hopes it may happen. And I believe they have thought about it and prob explored the idea. I just don't see it happening with the way they have been going about contracts with players and getting younger thru the draft. On another note, wans't ET one of those guys that participating in the National Anthem protest? If so, that could be a factor in all of decision making.
Well I was right about Dez you know...

Let's make it two big ones in the offseason.

tarotcardscreditshutterstockcom.jpg

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Absolutely. There's never been a guy who held out, forced a trade, got paid, then coasted the rest of his career without ever being anything close to the player he was in prior years. They wouldn't ever pull the same hold out thing on their new club a couple years into it, either. Bringing guys like that in is a guaranteed recipe for success.

Just plug him in and boom, you've got 2013 Earl Thomas. We should definitely give Seattle what they want, especially since no one else is banging on their door for him. :rolleyes:

Well, I'm not saying give them exactly what they want. I say toy with those chaps a bit, let the situation deteriorate a bit more, and maybe slide right in. Maybe we can work a player for player deal for someone like Rico Gathers.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
This has merritt and would be funny as hell if Seattle did it, considering that Rico was a six..lolol.

Haha, it would be absolutely brilliant if we managed to pull that off! That would be an absolute...well..brilliant bit of borrowing, shall we say? Though, now that I think about it, they don't really have much at TE, do they? Come on Jerry. Do give it a whirl, there's a good chap.

sjmike

Reaction score
If they were to sign Thomas, would that only make them one of the favorites to win it all?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Now that Martin's deal is done I would not be shocked of Thomas ends up in Dallas. Not claiming it is some sure thing but would not come as a shock either.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
This has merritt and would be funny as hell if Seattle did it, considering that Rico was a six..lolol.

Plus, that deal would serve Seattle right for spurning us in the draft. I do hope that Jerry gives it a whirl. It'd be absolutely brilliant of him. It'd be a flat out player for player trade, and I'd love to see how this board reacts if that happens.

kevm3

Reaction score
I don't think we will get Earl, but it would be a fantastic move. We need some veteran experience in that secondary to really tie things together.

CPanther95

Reaction score
I think the messier it gets in Seattle, the less likely Jerry is going to want ET.

As a businessman, he's definitely siding with the team over some tool crying about having to honor his contract.

millennial_legend

Reaction score
I like Xavier Woods. I just like Earl Thomas much more.
Who says they are mutually exclusive? They can play side by side, especially on passing downs. On running downs you can see more Frazier.. or maybe some Woods depending on how the offense lines up.

Anything which means no Heath (except on special teams) means sign me up.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Might be closer to 14 mil..Says that in the article i posted..However I dont think there is any question about Lawrence now...Further Dlaw faced this same question last season..I think he answered those questions in 2017 ..His back is not an issue, the peds suspension was for meds subscribed by his dr for the back..(still his fault).. What if Dlaw takes this above and says im not getting respect and tests his value on the market?

NO its time to get his negotiations handled..I see several other contracts on the horizen that need attention and solid numbers for them, are important...I also see Stephens involvement with contracts, his negotiation skill is....inconsistent.

Sorry but i dont see it that way.

Too me he has alot of questionmarks. His back problems are not solved just because he played thru one season. We all dont know what the real diagnosis is. They wrote alot about it but there were always some different infos.

Then his play dropped significantly after teams schemed for him in the second part of 2017.

If he would sign here with alot of incentives for lets say 4 to 5 mil per year then of course i am with you. But this guy is looking for top end money. So he has to show alot more then 8 good games. Maybe the drop off had also to do with his back problems ? Who knows.

Way too many questionmarks right now to justify a big contract.

And i dont understand the preassure some (and you) feel and build up to sign a player. We have him under contract for this season. There is no need to get anything done in the next months.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
I'm only responsible for one family, so that's different.

So then you would negotiate with terrorists if it were your or one family but you wouldnt if it were the family of somebody else or lets say 2 families ?

Is your approach also dependend on the number of family members ?

First you wrote "you dont negotiate with terrorists". Now you write you differ between cases ?! Seems you didnt made up your mind about this problem.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Watch it happen folks. The fingertips will touch soon.
Do you think in todays game players get disgruntled when an outside comes in an takes away money from the rest of the team. Especially when players have contract decisions coming up. I think this team is just starting to clean up getting rid of over paid players. I would like to see what they have this year and if they need a safety he will be a FA after the season and wont cost a player or a draft pick!

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Do you think in todays game players get disgruntled when an outside comes in an takes away money from the rest of the team. Especially when players have contract decisions coming up. I think this team is just starting to clean up getting rid of over paid players. I would like to see what they have this year and if they need a safety he will be a FA after the season and wont cost a player or a draft pick!

I think players are humans like everybody. They for sure have a sense for injustice. And they have goals like winning Championships. So they for sure will look at big contracts and may say hey this one is holding us back etc.

But then again i think most project those problems to the FO. They dont get into personal differences with the specific player. They know the business as they are part of it.

Last but not least those "problems" are not really ones. Even if you are a not so well payed player you are still a millionare after 2 seasons in the NFL. So i think most of them are happy and just trying to get their job done. Trying to solve problems they can and let others solve the problems they dont have any influence on.

But i am with you. I also think the team has found a much better approach to FA. They are getting rid of overpaid players at the right time. And they take a look and see approach. I like that alot. There is no need to rush any decission. They seem to understand that as of late.

Last edited:

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
So then you would negotiate with terrorists if it were your or one family but you wouldnt if it were the family of somebody else or lets say 2 families ?

Is your approach also dependend on the number of family members ?

First you wrote "you dont negotiate with terrorists". Now you write you differ between cases ?! Seems you didnt made up your mind about this problem.
Dude has no clue. That was a broken comparison from the onset.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
A player of ET's caliber is well respected around the league and would be welcomed with open arms.

Normally, players keep the money piece where it should be and that is privately between each player and the front office. They usually just care about the caliber of pieces around them from a personal on field and off field perspective. Money is private stuff and they tend to mutually resepct that aspect of other players.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Let me refreshing your memories. Was this all just a load of bull excrement?

Earl Thomas: “I don’t literally mean ‘come get me now.’ I’m still in the prime of my career. I still want to be here. But when Seattle kicks me to the curb, please, the Cowboys come get me. That’s the only place I’d rather be if I get kicked to the curb.”