News: Now this is how you handle malcontents who don’t honor the contract they signed

birdwells1

Reaction score
We’ll find out if a deadline makes this deal. The deadline is fast approaching if he’s going to play in the opener. Emmitt wasn’t under contract when he missed the first two games of the regular season and 93. Missing those two games didn’t cost him game checks. Zeke is taking a big gamble if he plans on missing games. He may end up having to play out his current contract if we play well without him. If he’s been offered more than Bell got he better take it.
Can the cowboys win the Superbowl without him is the question. I would think that they could win against the giants and dolphins of the world but can you beat the Saints, Rams and Eagles because that's who you have to beat to get to the sb. There you'll have kc or the pats.

If the Jones's thought they could then they would take a stance like the Chargers did.

birdwells1

Reaction score
no i would not be making offers.
i have all the leverage so why bend and be weak.
i definitely would not have said the negotiation starts with gurley's salary
i would have drafted another rb higher than the 7th round and not left myself under prepared at rb.
and if i could have have drafted another rb, i would have traded for a 2nd tier one.
much better to take money away from zeke and give that money to another rb than to lose a negotiation that could hurt future negotiations.
and the concept of setting a negotiation reputation is something i have learned in school and at work. even if it is a loss leader.

When was the last time the cowboys had a team this good?
Jerry is closing in on 80 and he doesn't have many more chances to win this thing.

Whatever you learned at school is probably great for the real world but this is pro sports and it's a different animal.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Can the cowboys win the Superbowl without him is the question. I would think that they could win against the giants and dolphins of the world but can you beat the Saints, Rams and Eagles because that's who you have to beat to get to the sb. There you'll have kc or the pats.

If the Jones's thought they could then they would take a stance like the Chargers did.

Zeke is the best player on the team and our offense revolves around him. With the schedule we have we would have a tough time even making the playoffs without him. Without Zeke there would be too many games where Dak would have to carry the offense. We saw what the offense was like without Zeke in 2017. Not saying it would be that bad again but we have yet to prove we can win consistently without him. We have to be able to run the ball consistently to be successful and regardless of the OL the back matters.

waldoputty

Reaction score
When was the last time the cowboys had a team this good?
Jerry is closing in on 80 and he doesn't have many more chances to win this thing.

Whatever you learned at school is probably great for the real world but this is pro sports and it's a different animal.

if it is really this good, then it will be fine until week 11.
if it is not doing well until zeke return, then it was never good enough to win it all even with zeke.
either the passing game has been fixed or it has not.
either the defense is dominant or not.

if i were the jones, i would really really want to see dak and cooper play without zeke before i give them huge contracts.
much rather risk one year than jeopardize the next 5 years.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The entire problem is the salary cap. Has nothing to do with greedy owners for the most part.

Nope. You can't have free agency and no cap. That would create a competitive inbalance between rich and poor teams. GB and and KC would never be able to compete against big market clubs. It would look a lot of MLB with many teams becoming glorified farm teams for the richer clubs.

The salary cap isn't just a maximum. It also sets a floor. Teams must spend their cap allowance. Thats a great thing for players. The only way to spread the cap dollars more evenly among players is to have positional max contracts and raise minimum salaries.

kskboys

Reaction score
Zeke out played his rookie contract so it’s understandable he wants to get paid knowing that an RBs career is very short. With the workload he’s received the past three seasons he may be done by the time he’s 28 or 29. Can’t really blame him for wanting a new contract, I just don’t like the way he went about it by attending all the offseason work but not showing up for training camp.
Once again, he's been offered a new contract, a very large one and very fair and won't take it.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Once again, he's been offered a new contract, a very large one and very fair and won't take it.

A lot has been “reported” and nothing that’s been reported has been confirmed by the team.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I think the Cowboys are going to let this play out without Zeke for the 1st 3-4 games of the season. If we go 2-1 or 3-1 then Dak gets paid and Zeke doesn't if we got 1-2 or 1-3 then Zeke will get his money and Dak won't. The biggest winner/loser in this scenario will be Dak, if Zeke is not there then it falls on Dak to carry the team and if he does he gets his money (all of it) if he doesn't he won't get even get close to 30m IMO.

I don't believe one is dependent on the other. If the team can get a deal done with both, both will get paid. The problem is that it will create issues down the line.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Two days after hundreds of players were cut by NFL teams you start a post about honoring contracts? Some of yall are just...not smart. Also, where are the inmates?

Include your self in that number. Getting cut means you didn't make the team. It has nothing to do with honoring contracts. In fact, add yourself twice.