Number 1 Defense in NFL!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
According to Football Outsiders- https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/nfl/team-defense/2021/regular (might need to subscribe- it's free to view this page)
Pass Defense: 1st
Rush Defense: 19th
Overall Defense: 1st

Also, number 1 team overall- https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/nfl/team-efficiency/2021/regular
Offense: 8th
Defense: 1st
Special Teams: 4th

and this despite the fact they have had to dig their way out of the hole as those numbers were not very good to start the season. Looking at how they are playing now, in my view is night and day and would put them up against any defense in the league.

reddyuta

Reaction score
run defense is the only weakness, we should pnot fear any qb.

Last edited:
Reactions: BAT

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I’m glad the stats finally back up what I told one of you earlier in the season.

Now the box score finally matches with what was on your TV the whole time.

Also, don’t get too comfortable. No defense in this era of football is that good and can be lit up at by moment.

I know some of you can’t wait to call the defense overrated at the first sign of adversity but that is just what today’s game is.

Offense wins championships and a good defense is just a accessory to that offense. Whatever it gives you is great but don’t expect to win a lot of games because of your defense.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
I was told here before the season that Bones was a relic who would cost us with his special teams. The Punter was crapola, our punt and kick return squads shouldn't even take the field our special teams were so bad. Yet.. we are 4th? How interesting is that....

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I was told here before the season that Bones was a relic who would cost us with his special teams. The Punter was crapola, our punt and kick return squads shouldn't even take the field our special teams were so bad. Yet.. we are 4th? How interesting is that....

I love having him here, I recall people upset early in the year about a roughing the punter call and yet Dallas has not been shy about going after the block punts. This is just one more phase that opponents have to be concerned about.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
I told all of you here numerous times after the draft, before camp, and during camp that the Cowboys would have a top 5 defense. Why didn’t you people believe me?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
and this despite the fact they have had to dig their way out of the hole as those numbers were not very good to start the season. Looking at how they are playing now, in my view is night and day and would put them up against any defense in the league.

Absolutely. They had a lot going against them to start the season. They were not only learning a new defense, but they were dealing with injuries to most of their projected defensive line (Lawrence, Gallimore, Gregory and a quality backup in Armstrong), and cutting starters (Jaylon). There were a lot of changes happening and they were just trying to hold on for several weeks with their pass rush missing. They have been on a different level since their defensive line came back, and now we've got promising young guys like Joseph entering the mix as well. This defense is playing as well as anybody right now. Scary good.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
run defense is the only weakness, we should pnot fear any qb.

Yes still an area of concern but even that is improving. Washington got a few runs in passing situations but their run game was not doing much vs the defensive front. I do think the return of DLaw and Gallimore makes it tougher for teams to be able to run consistently

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Absolutely. They had a lot going against them to start the season. They were not only learning a new defense, but they were dealing with injuries to most of their projected defensive line (Lawrence, Gallimore, Gregory and a quality backup in Armstrong), and cutting starters (Jaylon). There were a lot of changes happening and they were just trying to hold on for several weeks with their pass rush missing. They have been on a different level since their defensive line came back, and now we've got promising young guys like Joseph entering the mix as well. This defense is playing as well as anybody right now. Scary good.

True and those snaps backup were getting having to start is paying off, so now when we rotate guys in and out you have players who have had extensive playing time like Osa who has benefited from these snaps same with several other guys who were asked to step up while starters were out.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Regardless of how good the QB is, opposing defenses will have to have great offensive line play to have a chance going forward...imo.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
But, but….. Cowturd said the Cowboys can overpower bad teams but once they face the Packers, Tampa, the Rams, the defense will get exposed….. I said it the Cowboys get no credit for wins but if they lose they suck…….