Number 1 Defense in NFL!

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
According to Football Outsiders- https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/nfl/team-defense/2021/regular (might need to subscribe- it's free to view this page)
Pass Defense: 1st
Rush Defense: 19th
Overall Defense: 1st

Also, number 1 team overall- https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/nfl/team-efficiency/2021/regular
Offense: 8th
Defense: 1st
Special Teams: 4th
That stuff is about as meaningful as "power rankings". That said, I'd rather they be ranked as such, than not. It indicates that they are playing well. Just continue to play well in the playoffs...that's all I ask. :)

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
True and those snaps backup were getting having to start is paying off, so now when we rotate guys in and out you have players who have had extensive playing time like Osa who has benefited from these snaps same with several other guys who were asked to step up while starters were out.

Very true. The depth and Quinn's liberal use of rotating guys in and out to keep them fresh stood out to me Sunday Night in particular. It looked like Gregory was pissed not being on the field rushing the passer and much as he wanted. But player after player is stepping up on this defense and making plays. Kelvin Joseph being but the latest.

Proof

Reaction score
I’m glad the stats finally back up what I told one of you earlier in the season.

Now the box score finally matches with what was on your TV the whole time.

Also, don’t get too comfortable. No defense in this era of football is that good and can be lit up at by moment.

I know some of you can’t wait to call the defense overrated at the first sign of adversity but that is just what today’s game is.

Offense wins championships and a good defense is just a accessory to that offense. Whatever it gives you is great but don’t expect to win a lot of games because of your defense.

why are you always lecturing someone lol jesus

slick325

Reaction score
The run defense will improve when the offense is back on track. If the offense is scoring TDs and putting points on the board, other teams will abandon the run and Gregory, DLaw and Parsons pass rush skills will be on full display. Force teams to be one dimensional by forcing them to keep up with our offense.

Just my two cents.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Last edited:

Aven8

Reaction score
I was told here before the season that Bones was a relic who would cost us with his special teams. The Punter was crapola, our punt and kick return squads shouldn't even take the field our special teams were so bad. Yet.. we are 4th? How interesting is that....

I think we have blocked like 5 punts this year with two TD’s. Every time the opposition punts they get close. I love it!

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Wow, how good is the pass defense, to add in a 19th ranked run defense and still be first overall defense???

I expect that run defense ranking to get better now that DLaw and Gallimore are back.
Same thing that crossed my mind but I'm thinking since teams don't really run all over us that it doesn't hurt as much. We haven't had a Aaron Jones score 4 TD's on us this year.

Hardline

Reaction score
I’m glad the stats finally back up what I told one of you earlier in the season.

Now the box score finally matches with what was on your TV the whole time.

Also, don’t get too comfortable. No defense in this era of football is that good and can be lit up at by moment.

I know some of you can’t wait to call the defense overrated at the first sign of adversity but that is just what today’s game is.

Offense wins championships and a good defense is just a accessory to that offense. Whatever it gives you is great but don’t expect to win a lot of games because of your defense.
Defense still wins championships even in this era of football.