Signed by Cowboys Nussmeier to be named QB Coach

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
This was talked about as being a possibility leading up to Kitna being released from his contract. There was some tweets suggesting Moore and Kitna weren’t always on the same page, plus Nussmeier has been a QB coach for 16 years and an offensive coordinator.

Probably the right move.
Ok I didn’t hear that. Wonder what problems did he have.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think 105.3 alluded to there might have been problems between Kellen and Kitna. So maybe with Kellen coming back they had to move on from Kitna. Only logical explanation to me.
Ok I didn’t hear that. Wonder what problems did he have.

Kitna is very intense.

There is also the question of why he didn't get an NFL or College coaching job earlier...he was out of the NFL after 2013...coaching high school football.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Nussmeier was a QB coach in a offense similar to McCarthy's...so that probably gave him the nudge over Kitna.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Dozens of possible reasons for this. I'm sure the question will get asked eventually. Until then, I'm content to assume the best.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Kitna never played in the west coast system to my knowledge.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Atleast MM isn't a lame duck Jason with no authority over his staff. He has no excuses if he fails.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ok now see this doesn't make sense unless to me. I was fine with moving on from Kitna but this guy isn't even a outside hire he was already here.
Nussmeier was reportedly involved in the 2018 mid-season changes that resulted in a dramatic turn-around of the struggling offense. Obviously they added Cooper but there were obvious scheme changes as well. The reports were that both Nussmeier and Moore became more involved.

It seems that Nussmeier was in the 'click' with Moore and Linehan that were all empowered by the front office to push Garrett out of the offensive.

Side Note: Linehan wanted to leave if Garrett was staying but he didn't want to quit with a year remaining under contract (i.e. The team and Linehan were in agreement on him leaving).

Similar to Bill Callahan previously, Garrett was threatened by other coaches that were seen as better offensive minds than himself. Callahan departed for the same job with the Skins (OL coach) because he and Garrett hated working with each other.

In previous years Stephen Jones was not ready to push Jerry for Garrett to be replaced; therefore he pushed Garrett to be out of the offensive game plan and play calling. Jerry liked Callahan and they tried having Callahan call plays in 2013.

The problem (explained by Stephen Jones in an interview a year or so ago) was that Callahan was only given play calling but Garrett insisted on using his plays and Garrett made the decisions on which players played.

After that 2013 season Garrett insisted on Callahan NOT calling plays. The Joneses said OK but it can't be you either. They told him to hire an OC and that's how they got Linehan.

It didn't take long before Linehan and Garrett were at odds similar to Garrett and Callahan previously.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
I think 105.3 alluded to there might have been problems between Kellen and Kitna. So maybe with Kellen coming back they had to move on from Kitna. Only logical explanation to me.

What coaches didn’t fight this season? Richard and Bloom, Richard and Rod, Sanjay Lal and Amari, Kellen and Kitna, Garrett and Kellen. This locker room was one big boxing ring.