Objectively, how does Jerry compare with the average NFL owner?

Big_D

Reaction score
That team was built w/ good drafting, astute coaching, excellent acquisitions, and good trading.

Plus preparation and a swagger. He knew how to press the buttons. Just listen to Jimmy talk football and then listen to Jerry. It’s actually sad that we went from one to the other.

Big_D

Reaction score
Never knew those numbers if true cool

it seems to get insinuated by many that the cowboys spent top dollar pre salary cap etc. and it’s just not true. Niners #1 and the reason for the cap.

conner01

Reaction score
There's a world of difference between the likes of Bill Belichick and Jerry Jones. Belichick could do well with another less effective than Brady, although, it would likely be on a lesser level of success. Without Will McClay, the Dallas Cowboys would suffer catastrophically for NFL talent. Jerry hasn't even been able to employ head coaches that fit the bill because of his reputation of being a toxic manager. His list of HCs bear that out, by and large. Other owners know better than to falsely pretend to be worthwhile GMs and avoid hiring family members, despite their sad lack of qualifications.
But the point is the owner hired bill so the owner gets credit for that decision. I think Jerry could hire any coach he wants but no one can hire a coach who works for another team and bill will likely never work for another team. Bill wasn’t a success as a coach his first job either. Owners jobs are vast and include hiring as well as the business side. Jerry is really good at the business side but one of his biggest mistakes was staying with garret so long. But Jerry hired parcels when people said parcels wouldn’t work for Jerry

Diehardblues

Reaction score
But the point is the owner hired bill so the owner gets credit for that decision. I think Jerry could hire any coach he wants but no one can hire a coach who works for another team and bill will likely never work for another team. Bill wasn’t a success as a coach his first job either. Owners jobs are vast and include hiring as well as the business side. Jerry is really good at the business side but one of his biggest mistakes was staying with garret so long. But Jerry hired parcels when people said parcels wouldn’t work for Jerry
Yes, he does get credit for hiring Bill much like his due for Jimmy.

But he also receives the blame for running them off before their work was done.

And Garrett’s run from 2014-2018 is still the best run in post 90’s dynasty era. Did it end disappointing and frustrating , of course , but being on the brink of breaking thru to a championship game Jethro’s way was why he stuck with it so long.

Big_D

Reaction score
Yes, he does get credit for hiring Bill much like his due for Jimmy.

But he also receives the blame for running them off before their work was done.

And Garrett’s run from 2014-2018 is still the best run in post 90’s dynasty era. Did it end disappointing and frustrating , of course , but being on the brink of breaking thru to a championship game Jethro’s way was why he stuck with it so long.

more of this? 2014 they weren’t on the brink of anything even if Dez catches the ball there was more than enough time for the Packers to win the game. 2015.. nothing. 2016 beat a Seattle team that was clearly on the decline. Garrett would’ve gotten undressed if the great Seattle defense was still in place. Then another down year. Then got completely ran over in 2018.

Hilarious that you keep defending this garbage. He was a crap coach with the same disappointing soft football team year after year after year. Even in his 3 so called “ good years”. You knew in August exactly how the season would end. There was no hope at all with him here.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The only other owner you can compare him to is Mike Brown, CIN, because he acts as his own GM. And up until this past season, he was not good but he did share one trait with Booger, he was willing to ignore the players' personal issues as he proved by drafting Mixon. The history of these two men with "bad boys" is far beyond other teams because they're willing to take the shot while an employed GM with a job on the line might be more apprehensive.

However, this latest news on Snyder, withholding money from the ticket pool that is shared by all teams, makes Booger look like a choirboy.

The difference between Brown and Booger, which makes Brown the better owner, is that once he does his job as GM, getting the HC and talent together, he lets the HC do his job. He doesn't seek the spotlight and try and promote himself. He does not use his team to satisfy his constantly hungry, never satisfied ego. The difference is Mike Brown was mentored and raised in the business by one of the better HC's in the game so his respect for that position is among the highest.

The good owners hire a GM and let him do his job. Booger acts as GM and tries to tell his employees how to do their jobs. No HC will even approach the limited autonomy Parcells had as long as Booger is doing the hiring. He has actually gotten worse over time as he gets more seduced by his celebrity image. He is not GM; he is acting GM.

offlimits

Reaction score
He maximizes any and all sponsorship deals. I still find it quite humorous that there is an official "ambulance chasing" attorney of the Dallas Cowboys Inc. I might have considered hiring him if I was the poor shlub that was mauled by Zeke's pit last year in Frisco. I would waltz into the courtroom doing the stupid "feed me" bit.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score

Good points you've made here, although many have contended that Jerry ordinarily doesn't want coaches who would deflect attention away from himself. He did also comment that he mainly wanted Parcells to cement his building of the new stadium. Unfortunately, Jerry just couldn't resist the temptation to bring in TO against Bill's wishes. Bill also confessed that he mainly wanted the job to pay for the divorce settlement of his wife at the time. You just can't make this stuff up!

Additionally, as I recall, Bill Cowher claimed he wouldn't want to work for Jerry due to his meddling ways. So, there are evidently those who would be quite reluctant to take on that somewhat risky plunge, although, MM did just that.

In any event, it's very possible that Dan Quinn would be on tap to replace Mike McCarthy if he fails to impress in 2022. I'm sure we'll see how that goodie develops by the end of the upcoming season. There's always some upcoming drama on tap for the Cowboys -- that's for doggone sure. ;)

Last edited:

GINeric

Reaction score
Above average? Are you nuts? Jerry the owner insists on a terrible GM who doesn't comprehend football at the NFL level, is a very lazy GM who refuses to watch player tapes and doesn't comprhend NFL skillsets, and insists on being in on the the decisions even though he lacks to knowledge to do so.

That is the worst owner in the NFL.

So you claim He's the worst owner in the NFL, correct? Well he has 3 Superbowl trophies on his watch, while there are many owners who have ZERO and a few who has one or two. So if gaining 3 Superbowl victories under your ownership mean you're the worst owner then maybe more owners need to get "worse" like Jerry. He's not the best owner/gm in the league, but he's damn sure not the worst.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The problem with Booger as GM is that he has to like the HC and he doesn't look at them as just an employee.

The Niners GM and Harbaugh intensely disliked one another but they made it work until it could work no longer. I do not think Kraft went after Belichick because he likes him.

Booger demands that his HC subrogates his ego to his own and in doing so hamstrings one of the very things that makes HC's successful. Think Johnson and Parcells was as successful without those egos? And the ego isn't a bad thing, it is necessary for success, until it expands and then it becomes self-defeating.

I really don't think any team can be successful with its owner as the face of the franchise and there are two right now, DAL and WAS.

DonaldM

Reaction score
I wouldn't know who Snyder was had it not been for the logo change and Gruden emails. Maybe because I'm not a deadskins fan. Doesn't he own a katsup company or is that Steve Perry?

DonaldM

Reaction score
it seems to get insinuated by many that the cowboys spent top dollar pre salary cap etc. and it’s just not true. Niners #1 and the reason for the cap.
Until Dieing came around. He wanted a billion plus hush money. Wonder what the numbers were that year. And Haley. Dieing is the real pizza face. That's why I almost like Jerry. That was a good commercial.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wouldn't know who Snyder was had it not been for the logo change and Gruden emails. Maybe because I'm not a deadskins fan. Doesn't he own a katsup company or is that Steve Perry?
I believe he made his money in the telecommunications field and he was a long time fan doing the dream thing of buying his team...to fix it. If I were guessing food, I wouldn't have gone with ketchup, pretzels. Don't know about Steve Perry but if he owns a ketchup company, why aren't we seeing TV ads with "Lovin', Touchin' Squeezin" playing?

Snyder seems to be in real hot water now because he's been messin' with the mob's money. And the question is if this smoke has fire, where does Goodell fit into all of this because he seems to be the guy that was trying to make this all go away. He ran some interference on those emails so exactly what is his involvement?

Big_D

Reaction score
So you claim He's the worst owner in the NFL, correct? Well he has 3 Superbowl trophies on his watch, while there are many owners who have ZERO and a few who has one or two. So if gaining 3 Superbowl victories under your ownership mean you're the worst owner then maybe more owners need to get "worse" like Jerry. He's not the best owner/gm in the league, but he's damn sure not the worst.

This would mean more if things didn’t dramatically do a 180 the second he started calling all the shots and winning became a thing of the past. postseason success is no longer the priority. we just pine for yesteryear and anyone else besides him who actually knows what they’re doing.

You can no longer justify decades of inept decisions with those championships. When does the statute run out? Those days are nothing but a distant memory! Certainly never to be seen again by this clown show!

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
IF its about football (and it is) he can not be a good owner and bad GM...One is soley responsible for the other...either you need help and think he is good at both..or it is what it is and he is bad at both.

conner01

Reaction score
Good points you've made here, although many have contended that Jerry ordinarily doesn't want coaches who would deflect attention away from himself. He did also comment that he mainly wanted Parcells to cement his building of the new stadium. Unfortunately, Jerry just couldn't resist the temptation to bring in TO against Bill's wishes. Bill also confessed that he mainly wanted the job to pay for the divorce settlement of his wife at the time. You just can't make this stuff up!

Additionally, as I recall, Bill Cowher claimed he wouldn't want to work for Jerry due to his meddling ways. So, there are evidently those who would be quite reluctant to take on that somewhat risky plunge, although, MM did just that.

In any event, it's very possible that Dan Quinn would be on tap to replace Mike McCarthy if he fails to impress in 2022. I'm sure we'll see how that goodie develops by the end of the upcoming season. There's always some upcoming drama on tap for the Cowboys -- that's for doggone sure. ;)
Drama is inevitable in Dallas lol
Cowher still isn’t coaching so it’s easy to say you wouldn’t take a job when you don’t want a job
I do think Quinn stayed in Dallas for a reason. I think either he wasn’t getting offers he liked or Jerry made him a promise. Not sure which it is but if MM fails he’s certainly gonna be in the running. If it’s next year I think he’s a lock because all those wanting Payton I think are premature for him wanting another HC job this soon. I think he sits out a couple years before he gets back in, if ever. HC is a tough job with lots of stress and time commitment. Working in TV is mighty easy job with very little stress and time commitment

DonaldM

Reaction score
I believe he made his money in the telecommunications field and he was a long time fan doing the dream thing of buying his team...to fix it. If I were guessing food, I wouldn't have gone with ketchup, pretzels. Don't know about Steve Perry but if he owns a ketchup company, why aren't we seeing TV ads with "Lovin', Touchin' Squeezin" playing?
Lmao
Snyder seems to be in real hot water now because he's been messin' with the mob's money. And the question is if this smoke has fire, where does Goodell fit into all of this because he seems to be the guy that was trying to make this all go away. He ran some interference on those emails so exactly what is his involvement?

SinceDayOne

Reaction score
Any NFL owner can build a stadium. Any NFL owner can build a training complex and team office complex comparable to the Star. Any businessman can make tons of money if he owns an NFL franchise...they are truly "cash cows." And most NFL owners can field a team that makes a serious deep playoff run at least once a decade. The latter is THE most important to the fans. And the latter defines Jerry Jones as a flop as an owner.