Objectively, how does Jerry compare with the average NFL owner?

kskboys

Reaction score
Nobody said he gets a pass did they??? Nope!! The question was is JJ an average owner. I stated why he is above average.
Above average? Are you nuts? Jerry the owner insists on a terrible GM who doesn't comprehend football at the NFL level, is a very lazy GM who refuses to watch player tapes and doesn't comprhend NFL skillsets, and insists on being in on the the decisions even though he lacks to knowledge to do so.

That is the worst owner in the NFL.

kskboys

Reaction score
I didn't read all the threads on this post. Sorry if this has already been said. But you have rank Jerry before and after the cap. Before the cap Jerry dominated the NFL. After the cap Jerry started to slide. He did build a primo stadium, so you can't rank him at the bottom. But I think he is rather close to bottom today!
Had nothing to do w/ the cap. The Cowboys dominated due to the expertise of Jimmy, finding great players in FA such as Casillas and Haley, having a quality QB there for the taking in Aikman, and having Jimmy to get lazy or malcontents to play.

I can and do rank him at the bottom as his selection of the GM assures that the Cowboys will not play in a super bowl. Don't forget, this GM that the owner insists on continuously derails the team by not allowing coaches to do their job, rescinding necessary fines and continuously making public statements that hurt the team, often badly.

kskboys

Reaction score
He's an excellent owner, arguably the best in the sport.

He's an extremely poor GM, arguably the worst in the sport. One can only hope that as his personnel influence continues to wane Stephan will eventually shift such decisions entirely over to a qualified "football guy".
Psssstttt, the owner is responsible for the GM. So, in saying he's a poor GM, he can actually be nothing but a poor owner.

DonaldM

Reaction score
92 probably the best cowboys team ever had the 19th league ranked team salary. Not even in the top half. He didn’t buy Jimmy anything!
Ouch that stung a Lil bit. Good research.

RS12

Reaction score
Most of the other owners know what they dont know. Going on 30 years Jerry still doesnt.

kskboys

Reaction score
I feel for this discussion we have to acknowledge that different fans have a different expectation for what qualifies as a good owner. I'm seeing 2 different opinions being expressed based on 2 different premises.
Premise 1- the Dallas Cowboys are a business to make money.
Premise 2- the Dallas Cowboys are a competitive sports team that is there to win Super Bowls.
Fans operating under premise 1 are 100% right in their views of Jerry as the owner being successful. It's proven fact he's the best owner in the NFL under premise 1.
Fans operating under premise 2 are 100% correct in their opinion that Jerry is a failure at being an owner and is in the bottom 5% of NFL owners.

So my take away is fans operating under either premise is completely right in their belief and has data to prove it.
Ah, but therein lies the rub. Since we are fans and are only interested in the success of the team on the field, his money making skills are absolutely irrelevant to this discussion. Premise 1 is only relevant if one is a fan of businessmen and are evaluating him only in that vein. Since we are not, no, both cannot be right.

kskboys

Reaction score
I can’t take credit, it was posted in another thread. Then they were the 26th ranked team in 93 his final year.
That team was built w/ good drafting, astute coaching, excellent acquisitions, and good trading.

plymkr

Reaction score
Ah, but therein lies the rub. Since we are fans and are only interested in the success of the team on the field, his money making skills are absolutely irrelevant to this discussion. Premise 1 is only relevant if one is a fan of businessmen and are evaluating him only in that vein. Since we are not, no, both cannot be right.
Well there is a group of Cowboys fans that use the value of the Cowboys as a measuring stick for Jerry being a good owner. I personally do not agree with Premise #1 but if you read though other poster's comments you'll see that this is important to some fans. Again, I personally don't care what the Cowboys value is or how much Jerry has profited. But there are some that hold deeply to premise #1. And if that's their measuring stick then I'm not saying they're wrong, it's just not my measuring stick.

kskboys

Reaction score
Well there is a group of Cowboys fans that use the value of the Cowboys as a measuring stick for Jerry being a good owner. I personally do not agree with Premise #1 but if you read though other poster's comments you'll see that this is important to some fans. Again, I personally don't care what the Cowboys value is or how much Jerry has profited. But there are some that hold deeply to premise #1. And if that's their measuring stick then I'm not saying they're wrong, it's just not my measuring stick.
Weird way of thinking, hey? I mean, maybe if you're a stockholder in the Cowboys org, or employed by them.

NumOneQB

Reaction score
How about Jerry the GM/Owner offering up entertainment for Cowboys fans for the last 25 years? #1 in my book!

plymkr

Reaction score
Weird way of thinking, hey? I mean, maybe if you're a stockholder in the Cowboys org, or employed by them.
Right. I've personally never cared about how much money Jerry makes. Unless he going to give me some, lol

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Bragging about Jethro making money is just a defense mechanism for homers.

Originally the Cowboys popularity and brand were bragging rights because we had a winning culture and championship pedigree.

Now it’s just bragging rights for a few homers. It’s meaningless to most fans without success on the field. And honestly it’s embarrassing if not downright disgraceful now.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
As we all know, Dallas, Washington and Detroit are the only NFC teams to have never made it to the conference title game since 1996. So we don't need to rehash that thing for the 1000th time.

That being said, it's worth it to discuss Jerry overall compared to the 31 other owners. Sure, we want wins rather than money, but there's no denying Jerry has done a fantastic business job growing the Cowboys to the world's most valuable sports team, having the highest ratings and having America's biggest NFL fan base despite Dallas' terrible playoff record since 26 years ago. If he could do all that despite sucking in wins, imagine how utterly dominant the Cowboys would be if they actually were making deep playoff runs regularly?

And also, under Jerry, we've had some fine drafts, even post-Jimmy. We got Diggs, Lamb, Parsons, Ware, Dez, Frederick, Witten, Romo, Dak, etc. It's not A+ drafting, but it's certainly not a C-.

So, objectively, grading Jerry in comparison to the other 31, is Jerry in the 50th percentile of owners? 80th? 20th?

actually i know NFL is a dirty business and most everyone corrupt....but Jerry is one of the best.....we might get angry at Jerry but which one of us would deny an offer for a day trip on his super yacht?

Hmmm let me count......ZERO......one thing for sure Jerry always said he owns the team so he gets to play with it.....and it went good and it went bad....but Jerry dont care and none of Jones Kids cares

they are all billionaires now.......Jerry may have to pass on for Stephen to step out from under his shadow and maybe he does....but doubit it....Stepehen worse than dad......its called perma-cowboy-Hell

and we are the ******'s cause we keep coming back and i am one of the worst...this is season 52.....i gripe and complain off season but once games start i get too nervous to even watch...and if we lose

i dont recover until saturday or saturday night before sunday....and i dont drink anymore....so i have to live with my feelings.....i hate feelings.....they can be so painful....but no booze or drugs and i am on

day 3 no tobacco and i got to make it this time.....maybe i can add a few more years ??......so i can suffer at the hands of Stephen Jones??.....well yes i do allow my valium on game day.....NERVES.....but

Dak has prepared new snake oil this year to rub all over the body before a game.....its Guaranteed to bring a super bowl.....maybe a Quad Plat Guarantee?.....

plymkr

Reaction score
Bragging about Jethro making money is just a defense mechanism for homers.

Originally the Cowboys popularity and brand were bragging rights because we had a winning culture and championship pedigree.

Now it’s just bragging rights for a few homers. It’s meaningless to most fans without success on the field. And honestly it’s embarrassing if not downright disgraceful now.
I agree 100%