Observations after approximately 23.5% of the season

gtb1943

Reaction score
According to David Moore, the Cowboys have had the most rookie snaps in the league so far.
well, I would argue that based on that game alone; and most of those rookies were playing in the previous games.

stiletto

Reaction score
The defense may get a little better, but only up to a certain point. It's still going to get stomped by any decent offense.
Most likely, yeah. I have zero faith in Mazi. They were banking quite a bit on him and it's probably not going to work out great. When Bland comes back that will help the secondary but that DL is a joke.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Most likely, yeah. I have zero faith in Mazi. They were banking quite a bit on him and it's probably not going to work out great. When Bland comes back that will help the secondary but that DL is a joke.
They could sell out against the Giants and force a bad QB to try and beat them with his arm. That won't work so well against any team with even a decent QB.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
A win is win in the NFL, especially for a team absolutely desperate for any kind of W. I didn’t get to see the game live but watched it in its entirety early this morning. That was one of the ugliest football games I’ve ever seen. Nine penalties for the Cowboys in the first half alone. Man that was like watching a couple of bad boxers trying to win a fight.

Well…at least the Cowboys won. It’s better to WIN an ugly game than lose while looking good doing it.

At the end of September after four games, this team is 2-2, and has only played 23.5% of the season. We can look at it as having lots of time to improve or feel like this team is at best barely mediocre.

Here are some big picture observations about this team 4 games into the season:
  • The Cowboys have more snaps from rookies than any team in the NFL so far this year. That can be both good and bad. Rookies, regardless of talent level, have lots of learning curves. Guyton for example is struggling some in pass protection. Hopefully that gets better.
  • This team essentially has no running threat. It can occasionally get a short yardage pickup when needed but the RB room is the collective worst I’ve seen in the last 3 decades. If this organization is serious about winning this year, they need to get some talent in the backfield.
  • Because there is no threat for a RB to take it to the house at any time, opposing defenses are dropping their safeties VERY deep to take away the deep and intermediate routes. They are basically giving us the short pass. Defenses do not respect our running game for good reason. Without some improvement in the running game, this team will be struggling to score more than 20 points a game.
  • The offense has two weapons and that’s not enough. Cedee Lamb and Jake Ferguson…that’s it. The WR and RB positions are below average as a group. If Ferguson gets hurt, I shudder to think what the TE position looks like.
  • The defense may end up being better than the offense. That may sound hard to believe right now, but this offense is toothless. We did see some improvement in the defense’s run game stops vs the giants but it was against a below average running game. We have to hope the injuries with Parsons and DLaw are not serious.
Being 2-2 is better than 1-3. But this team right now is not very good. Having said that it’s only 23.5% into the season. Can they get better without some help on offense and some injury luck on defense? We will find out over time.
Good breakdown and I agree with all these points. McCarthy is going to need to find ways to get more creative in getting his receivers open. The 15+ plays are pretty well covered and even the shorter throws have defenders righr on it. He really needs to use this mini bye to add some new looks.

For the run game he's used more WR carries to manufacture a run game, but sans a few plays they haven't been too successful. I'm surprised Elliott hasn't been the lead ball carrier, but probably speaks to where he's at in his career. Thought the RB room had a chance to surprise and be average, but it's really holding the offense back and is what we saw on paper. I really miss Murray and prime Zeke.

rambo2

Reaction score
A win is win in the NFL, especially for a team absolutely desperate for any kind of W. I didn’t get to see the game live but watched it in its entirety early this morning. That was one of the ugliest football games I’ve ever seen. Nine penalties for the Cowboys in the first half alone. Man that was like watching a couple of bad boxers trying to win a fight.

Well…at least the Cowboys won. It’s better to WIN an ugly game than lose while looking good doing it.

At the end of September after four games, this team is 2-2, and has only played 23.5% of the season. We can look at it as having lots of time to improve or feel like this team is at best barely mediocre.

• The Cowboys have more snaps from rookies than any team in the NFL so far this year. That can be both good and bad. Rookies, regardless of talent level, have lots of learning curves. Guyton for example is struggling some in pass protection. Hopefully that gets better.
  • This team essentially has no running threat. It can occasionally get a short yardage pickup when needed but the RB room is the collective worst I’ve seen in the last 3 decades. If this organization is serious about winning this year, they need to get some talent in the backfield.
  • Because there is no threat for a RB to take it to the house at any time, opposing defenses are dropping their safeties VERY deep to take away the deep and intermediate routes. They are basically giving us the short pass. Defenses do not respect our running game for good reason. Without some improvement in the running game, this team will be struggling to score more than 20 points a game.
  • The offense has two weapons and that’s not enough. Cedee Lamb and Jake Ferguson…that’s it. The WR and RB positions are below average as a group. If Ferguson gets hurt, I shudder to think what the TE position looks like.
  • The defense may end up being better than the offense. That may sound hard to believe right now, but this offense is toothless. We did see some improvement in the defense’s run game stops vs the giants but it was against a below average running game. We have to hope the injuries with Parsons and DLaw are not serious.
Being 2-2 is better than 1-3. But this team right now is not very good. Having said that it’s only 23.5% into the season. Can they get better without some help on offense and some injury luck on defense? We will find out over time.
3 and 2 on the horizon.

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Good summary. But don't forget we still are atrocious when it comes to penalties!!! Getting real tired of seeing a flag thrown after a good play!! That ref crew last night was brutal. And I know it's not anything new. We've been like this for several years with no answer to fix it!!

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Good summary. But don't forget we still are atrocious when it comes to penalties!!! Getting real tired of seeing a flag thrown after a good play!! That ref crew last night was brutal. And I know it's not anything new. We've been like this for several years with no answer to fix it!!
Change the name and logo on the helmet and I guarantee the penalty problem disappears.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score

I think your first bullet is the most critical point that is repeatedly glossed over with this team: New coordinator, new defensive scheme, new terminology, rookies starting, free agent late additions...this was not going to come together seamlessly after 3 weeks.

foofighters

Reaction score

Agreed as usual. Your first point should really show the "brilliance" of our GM. More than ever, I am seeing more noise from fans about "Fire Jerry the GM" than I've ever seen before. It will not go anywhere. Nothing will change but it highlights that more and more people are starting to see the lack of football knowledge and leadership from Jerry and Co.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
We aren’t very good and we don’t have enough resources to be that great in future years.

You wanted the Dak show. Enjoy.. It’s here to stay.

Hello mediocrity.
Do you really think a better QB would change the outlook of this team?

Our entire coaching staff are lame ducks

We have 1 above average 1 WR

We have 1 All Pro OL

We don't even have a 600 yard RB

We have 1 Pro Bowler on defense ( I think)

We have the longest tenured GM in football and he doubles as 1 of the 5 worse GMs in football and he has made it clear that no one else is more qualified to fix all of this other than him.......and you chalk all of the issues with this entire organization to the Dak show?

Tussinman

Reaction score
Next 6 games will be very telling, next six opponents are all playoff caliber (Steelers, Lions, 49ers, Falcons, Eagles, Texans) then the 7th opponent is at Washington which won't be a gimmie.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Bob...reminding us the season is already 24% over...is a serious breach of etiquette.

I suppose we better get used to reality checks. {sigh}

fivetwos

Reaction score
Unless they are willing to sign even ONE decent free agent, they are going to need to find a way to add more draft picks, because status quo doesn’t work.

Trade Diggs and roll with Bland and Carson. Maybe get lucky and get a high pick this year and trade down several times. Don’t know, but the plan that’s apparently in place (improve through draft only when so does everyone else) isn’t going to add up. I’m fairly confident in saying that’s been proven.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Do you really think a better QB would change the outlook of this team?

Our entire coaching staff are lame ducks

We have 1 above average 1 WR

We have 1 All Pro OL

We don't even have a 600 yard RB

We have 1 Pro Bowler on defense ( I think)

We have the longest tenured GM in football and he doubles as 1 of the 5 worse GMs in football and he has made it clear that no one else is more qualified to fix all of this other than him.......and you chalk all of the issues with this entire organization to the Dak show?
I think a cheaper QB would change the outlook.

Dak’s fine. The problem is you can’t pay him and provide a team around him that’s championship caliber.

I actually think Dak is a very decent player.

You almost have to draft perfectly and as great as we are at drafting we will never be good enough to win with him on the books.

The teams with young QBs on rookie deals or Vets playing way under market value are the real contenders.

Dallas is screwed really until Dak retires.