Observations after approximately 23.5% of the season

Havic

Reaction score
Why isn't the mighty Schoon a weapon? We spent a second round pick on him for goodness sake.

The follies of this organization.
By not playing him, the coaching staff is admitting to the mistake without publicly stating it.

Smith22

Reaction score
I think a cheaper QB would change the outlook.

Dak’s fine. The problem is you can’t pay him and provide a team around him that’s championship caliber.

I actually think Dak is a very decent player.

You almost have to draft perfectly and as great as we are at drafting we will never be good enough to win with him on the books.

The teams with young QBs on rookie deals or Vets playing way under market value are the real contenders.

Dallas is screwed really until Dak retires.
They had an undrafted Romo on the cheap and didn't exactly break the bank to surround him with high priced free agents.

They had Dak on a cheap rookie deal and didn't splurge on high priced free agents.

Jerry has a proven track record. He likes banking money, not paying for top dollar players in free agency.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
They had an undrafted Romo on the cheap and didn't exactly break the bank to surround him with high priced free agents.

They had Dak on a cheap rookie deal and didn't splurge on high priced free agents.

Jerry has a proven track record. He likes banking money, not paying for top dollar players in free agency.
Don’t focus on the Cowboys. Its a league trend.

This mindset is the equivalent of thinking Pollard won’t be good because of Troy Hambrick. It’s broken Cowboy fan logic.

Smith22

Reaction score
A win is win in the NFL, especially for a team absolutely desperate for any kind of W. I didn’t get to see the game live but watched it in its entirety early this morning. That was one of the ugliest football games I’ve ever seen. Nine penalties for the Cowboys in the first half alone. Man that was like watching a couple of bad boxers trying to win a fight.

Well…at least the Cowboys won. It’s better to WIN an ugly game than lose while looking good doing it.

At the end of September after four games, this team is 2-2, and has only played 23.5% of the season. We can look at it as having lots of time to improve or feel like this team is at best barely mediocre.

Here are some big picture observations about this team 4 games into the season:
  • The Cowboys have more snaps from rookies than any team in the NFL so far this year. That can be both good and bad. Rookies, regardless of talent level, have lots of learning curves. Guyton for example is struggling some in pass protection. Hopefully that gets better.
  • This team essentially has no running threat. It can occasionally get a short yardage pickup when needed but the RB room is the collective worst I’ve seen in the last 3 decades. If this organization is serious about winning this year, they need to get some talent in the backfield.
  • Because there is no threat for a RB to take it to the house at any time, opposing defenses are dropping their safeties VERY deep to take away the deep and intermediate routes. They are basically giving us the short pass. Defenses do not respect our running game for good reason. Without some improvement in the running game, this team will be struggling to score more than 20 points a game.
  • The offense has two weapons and that’s not enough. Cedee Lamb and Jake Ferguson…that’s it. The WR and RB positions are below average as a group. If Ferguson gets hurt, I shudder to think what the TE position looks like.
  • The defense may end up being better than the offense. That may sound hard to believe right now, but this offense is toothless. We did see some improvement in the defense’s run game stops vs the giants but it was against a below average running game. We have to hope the injuries with Parsons and DLaw are not serious.
Being 2-2 is better than 1-3. But this team right now is not very good. Having said that it’s only 23.5% into the season. Can they get better without some help on offense and some injury luck on defense? We will find out over time.
Agree with the bulk of your post.

Bottom line, the offense lacks big play ability minus 2 players. To boot, we have the worst RB group in the NFL.

Hard to overcome those issues alone, but throw in a terrible run defense (excluding last night) and you are asking for major problems.

CCBoy

Reaction score
A win is win in the NFL, especially for a team absolutely desperate for any kind of W. I didn’t get to see the game live but watched it in its entirety early this morning. That was one of the ugliest football games I’ve ever seen. Nine penalties for the Cowboys in the first half alone. Man that was like watching a couple of bad boxers trying to win a fight.

Well…at least the Cowboys won. It’s better to WIN an ugly game than lose while looking good doing it.

At the end of September after four games, this team is 2-2, and has only played 23.5% of the season. We can look at it as having lots of time to improve or feel like this team is at best barely mediocre.

• The Cowboys have more snaps from rookies than any team in the NFL so far this year. That can be both good and bad. Rookies, regardless of talent level, have lots of learning curves. Guyton for example is struggling some in pass protection. Hopefully that gets better.
  • This team essentially has no running threat. It can occasionally get a short yardage pickup when needed but the RB room is the collective worst I’ve seen in the last 3 decades. If this organization is serious about winning this year, they need to get some talent in the backfield.
  • Because there is no threat for a RB to take it to the house at any time, opposing defenses are dropping their safeties VERY deep to take away the deep and intermediate routes. They are basically giving us the short pass. Defenses do not respect our running game for good reason. Without some improvement in the running game, this team will be struggling to score more than 20 points a game.
  • The offense has two weapons and that’s not enough. Cedee Lamb and Jake Ferguson…that’s it. The WR and RB positions are below average as a group. If Ferguson gets hurt, I shudder to think what the TE position looks like.
  • The defense may end up being better than the offense. That may sound hard to believe right now, but this offense is toothless. We did see some improvement in the defense’s run game stops vs the giants but it was against a below average running game. We have to hope the injuries with Parsons and DLaw are not serious.
Being 2-2 is better than 1-3. But this team right now is not very good. Having said that it’s only 23.5% into the season. Can they get better without some help on offense and some injury luck on defense? We will find out over time.
When it was asked of the team, why did you do it. The response was immediately: 'No excuse, Sir.'

Sustain drives and both offense and defense will improve steadily...

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's one things for FANS to be shocked when that happens...but I am literally FLOORED that the front office is shocked when this happens. A front office should have the pulse of the coaching staff AND players. I really think they could not believe we lost to Jimmy G at home a few years ago in the playoffs. SMART football people said before the game we would lose and describe how we would lose...and it went according to plan.

But this front office kept letting the talent on this team get worse...and somehow because we continued to win 12 games, they got a false sense of who we are. This is a .500 team at best. I am not shocked. I knew all it would take is a 17-game schedule where would not get "teams like the Giants" 8 times out the year.

My disappointment is rooted in the fact that we have a front office that has lost total sense of self-awareness and there appears to be no end in sight.
You should not feel 'floored'. I post this image...

RI8HAVz.jpg

...sarcastically but it is accurate. Some people's disconnect is that they believe Jerry Jones does not think he sees himself as a great football mind. He is not but he thinks he is.

Football management is no different from any other form of organizational management. An organization can hire the best talented staff but it is the staff decision-makers who can subtract from the overall effectiveness of the staff's output.

Jerry Jones (and his first born) oversees the Dallas Cowboys' front office. They are not qualified in doing so.

You say they (a.k.a. Jones) seemed shocked about not getting the results they expected. Well. The reason why is obvious.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Fair to say we’ve seen enough - not just this season - but over the last 4+ years of this staff and team that this team is not good enough. Something most of us knew going into the season but has now been confirmed. The next staff that comes in here will ultimately be the difference in whether this team can get over the hump or not. Unfortunately Jerry hires puppets and not difference makers
Next staff won’t matter if you have no weapons on offense. Look at SF. Down Kittle, McCaffrey and Deebo and they’re 1-2.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

They will not get better unless they trade for some talent.
At this point we are what we are which is a not a very talented football team.

blueblood70

Reaction score

Look Bob, there's some good things that happened that you talked about the bad things that happened you talked about but as usual I think you're exaggerating to a point of circling back and blaming the offense when the defense is creating most of our problems...

You're right nobody can envision this defense being better, they are terrible bottom 5 in the league in all category's worst TOP is not talked about enough, and here's why the defense time of possession matters!!

they are keeping the ball away from our offense our own defense is icing our offense, we don't even have a chance to light up the giants because we're not getting the ball back I'm betting we did easily score 33 points this game had the defense made a couple more stops or shorter drives it almost would have been better to have them through chunk plays on this and then stall out or instead of having 11 to 15 play drives playing keep away from our offense..they killed all our momentum last night.. And by the way going back to the Green Bay playoff game on city lamb looked irritated he looked down now I know why he had the same look last night and he was actually playing well he had nothing to do with the offense he seen the defense play so bad he's almost thinking there's no way they're gonna win a game with a defense like that that's what he was thinking in Green Bay the way knocked us down the field and scored seven and kept on scoring 7 and that's why he got frustrated in the Saints game and then again you start the Baltimore game the same way this defense is killing our offense literally taking all the effort and getting on it in a group away from us... I believe in the second quarter right before the half and then again with halftime in between and then them getting the first drive I believe our offense sat for like 18 minutes other than the little 1 minutes they gave us at the end of the second quarter which meant nothing because that's not going to help when they've been sitting so long... And you know what that also means that the New York Giants pass rushers, and other teams pass rushers are just healthy and fresh all game..

And while we may not have a dangerous run game, I think if they learned how to use our running back rotation properly using Turpin and deuce more on motions get more involved with CD lamb coming across the field and opening this up a little bit so they will back off... Yes we could use a dynamic runner but we've had those in the past it has not got us to the Super bowl and now I can see where all of a sudden it does matter how good your running backs are and it's not just about getting the blocking done which is also inconsistent. There's something very wrong with Mike McCarthy's play calling, I don't think it has anything to do with not having a dynamic back he is not committing to the run game he is not putting our players in the right positions at situational football during the game it it's that old saying he's playing checkers the defense is playing chess. He's not challenging them in any way he's playing vanilla football some of this stuff looks like crap I would take Kellen Moore back in a heartbeat right now...​

When I watch the giants have no run game, I watched Tony Pollard only average 4 yards per carry he has 156 yards in three games that's it look at how much they paid for him it's not like he's lighting up the scoreboard and the stat sheets over there I thought he's supposed to be better? no way I would trade Rico for what he makes money wise for Tony what he makes money wise, I think they're the same player outside of a little bit more speed from Tony they made the right choice allowing him to walk,

yeah it would have been nice to have a young back in the fourth round or something and we didn't have a fourth rounder and I get it but we've had Murray have one of his best years we've had Ezekiel Elliott in his prime one of the best backs in the league and it has not helped this team right now Mike McCarthy is holding back the run game Mike McCarthy is holding back the pass game because he's trying to protect the defense that's how bad this defense is he's worried about like getting down the field too quickly because then if they stole out and kick a field goal then the defense has to come back out on the field and right now the defense is so much worse than the offense there's no reason to talk about it answer climate experts can I help you climate experts may I help you are you gonna call my ******* phone and then waste my time.

In the end I see other teams struggle in the run game and what do they do they just use what they have to get more creative Mike McCarthy doesn't have a creative bone in his body he is just like Jason Garrett depending on his superstars to create the big plays and if it's not working it just doesn't work he has no adjustments in the game to create something and I mean a lot of motion stretch plays get these small fast guys out in space this is just bad play calling and yet if the defense played better and gave us a few more possessions we would be scoring more we ran out of time in the Ravens game because of the defense we were making a comeback that was not garbage time and it did carry over into this game and our offense can be a lot more dangerous if our defense would stop playing so horrendously and Mike McCarthy trying to protect that bad defense...

blueblood70

Reaction score
This may get laughed at but its a very real scenario. People shouldnt confuse the lack of success on defense so far with a lack of talent on that side of the football. We need to get a little lucky with health, but this team has enough high end players defensively to cover up some of the warts. On the flip side I struggle to see how the offense really improves without acquiring more talent on that side of the football. I think the OL has some room to improve, but I'm not overly optimistic it will improve to the point we see a noticeable change, and even so we still need another skill player to emerge.
disagree but agree its not realistic and can't be envisioned. the bad D effect this offense ..playing keep away TOP so lopsided its on the d our O trying to protect them is causing this illusion IMO The d is so far away we have a very good O and special teams is top notch, oops the D is terrible,, the warts are just that too many to get rid of in the short term.. if they dont fix the D quickly we will be OUT OF IT before they become good enough!

blueblood70

Reaction score
Still looks like 9-8 for me. I hope I’m wrong.
Yeah but what if we get there and are playing our best getting into the playoffs much like the Green Bay Packers did last year with the last wild card spot... If you get it fixed and 98 get you in the wild card and you're playing your best ball with a healthy team anything's possible that's the whole point of a 17 game season with extra wild cards.. Look around the league this happens yearly I've seen it happen with the Rams the Bengals I even seen San Francisco have to come on late and last year it was the Packers they didn't start playing well till the back half and they were playing their best ball going into the playoffs don't say it can't happen so you're nine and eight maybe a reality but that might get you a wild card spot we don't know how the seasons unfolding right now too much ball to be played to be worried about this being a lost season.

JBS

Reaction score
Next staff won’t matter if you have no weapons on offense. Look at SF. Down Kittle, McCaffrey and Deebo and they’re 1-2.
They blew the game last week. Had nothing to do with no weapons. But yes. We do need better weapons as well. But the bigger issue is coaching.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

great observations. I would add that
  • Steele is cooked. he sucks. he has no lateral movement, specially to his right. I watched him for quite a few plays and he gets beat easily to the outside by any DE that has just a little quickness. he falls for the same thing over and over, they got his number by now. they fake inside, and then quick jump back to the outside and he looks like he has cement shoes, they are past him in an instance....we have to get him replaced next year.
  • Guyton is struggling, lets not mince words. LT, for a rookie, who played RT in college and started only 8 games. lack of experience shows. he has ability, but it will take a while
  • Bebee is growing into being a great center right in front of our eyes. he is smart and learns so quickly. he has eyes everywhere, sheds his Defensive player when not needed and gives help to others around him. smart smart player.
  • Running game sucks. and because of that we are going to struggle all year inside the redzone. you mentioned the safties dropping deep, inside the redzone, its all compacted, so passing lanes are tough to come by when you can't run and defenses drop 6 or 7 into coverage. LBs play off the ball, dropping in the middle that makes it tough for any passes in the intermediate area of redzone, they wait for the play given the DLmen are able to hold up or penetrate and our RBs are slow..... inside the 10 is even worse. Aubrey is going to be very very busy this year.
  • 3rd WR sucks. its below average. no threat.
  • Where is cooks? he has fallen so far from last year.
  • The defense really sucks. against a pathetic giants team, they didn't force a punt until end of 3rd quarter. we are happy with a win, but a good team will convert half of those drives to TDs, which would make our offense even more one dimentional than it is.

This is a 5-6 win team at best. probably split with Washington, beat giants again and beat panthers...they may pull a close win against another team. last year's 6-11 team had a top 10 pick. so that's the positive.

DallasInDC

Reaction score

The highlighted above is the real issue (ignoring the defense for now). It is evident had we gone after Henry or another adequate type back, we would be much better off. As it stands now, this offense is 11th in yds/game and 8th in pts/game yet we are in the 10 in ryds/game. Just think If we had scored 1 more TD in the Ravens game (i.e. TD instead of CeeDee fumble), we would be 5th in scoring and 3-1 talking about winning scrappy games. Add a RB like Henry and maybe a more legit WR than the Jalens' We would probably be able to keep pace with what the D is giving up.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
By not playing him, the coaching staff is admitting to the mistake without publicly stating it.
It's decisions like this that make me glad I have finally detached myself enough so that I can laugh at this organization the way it deserves to be. So glad they passed on O'C T so he could be a part of a real franchise.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
great observations. I would add that
  • Steele is cooked. he sucks. he has no lateral movement, specially to his right. I watched him for quite a few plays and he gets beat easily to the outside by any DE that has just a little quickness. he falls for the same thing over and over, they got his number by now. they fake inside, and then quick jump back to the outside and he looks like he has cement shoes, they are past him in an instance....we have to get him replaced next year.
  • Guyton is struggling, lets not mince words. LT, for a rookie, who played RT in college and started only 8 games. lack of experience shows. he has ability, but it will take a while
  • Bebee is growing into being a great center right in front of our eyes. he is smart and learns so quickly. he has eyes everywhere, sheds his Defensive player when not needed and gives help to others around him. smart smart player.
  • Running game sucks. and because of that we are going to struggle all year inside the redzone. you mentioned the safties dropping deep, inside the redzone, its all compacted, so passing lanes are tough to come by when you can't run and defenses drop 6 or 7 into coverage. LBs play off the ball, dropping in the middle that makes it tough for any passes in the intermediate area of redzone, they wait for the play given the DLmen are able to hold up or penetrate and our RBs are slow..... inside the 10 is even worse. Aubrey is going to be very very busy this year.
  • 3rd WR sucks. its below average. no threat.
  • Where is cooks? he has fallen so far from last year.
  • The defense really sucks. against a pathetic giants team, they didn't force a punt until end of 3rd quarter. we are happy with a win, but a good team will convert half of those drives to TDs, which would make our offense even more one dimentional than it is.

This is a 5-6 win team at best. probably split with Washington, beat giants again and beat panthers...they may pull a close win against another team. last year's 6-11 team had a top 10 pick. so that's the positive.
And lots of things you mentioned are mostly talent related. Coaching is the low hanging fruit. A lot of times the lesser the talent the more simple the plays because it’s all that can get executed.

McCarthy, Schottenheimer and Zimmer have as complicated and fancy plays in their book as anyone else but they can’t be executed. Look at the creative orbit motion they were doing with Turpin and Vaughn. Looks pretty but didn’t yield much.

Doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be fired if the team goes 5-12 but coaching isn’t a magic wand like most on here think it is. McDaniel in Miami was everyone offensive guru last year. Through 3 games they’re averaging 11 points.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
disagree but agree its not realistic and can't be envisioned. the bad D effect this offense ..playing keep away TOP so lopsided its on the d our O trying to protect them is causing this illusion IMO The d is so far away we have a very good O and special teams is top notch, oops the D is terrible,, the warts are just that too many to get rid of in the short term.. if they dont fix the D quickly we will be OUT OF IT before they become good enough!
There is some merit to what you're saying, but I simply think this defense when healthy has legitimate game changing caliber players at all three levels. Offensively I think this team is pretty average and hopefully I'm wrong, but I just dont see much room for improvement from this side. RBBC hasnt produced much, WRBC after Lamb hasnt really produced much other than some flashes here and there. OL is the group that could help if they can get better, but I'm just not seeing it. I think Martin/Steele are what they are at this point. Guyton has the physical ability to be a great LT, but makes the same mistakes over and over, I'm thinking 2025 might be a more realistic scenario where he takes a jump with a full offseason. Right now this offense is:

21st in completion percentage
17th in passing yards per attempt
28th in rushing yards per attempt

They've really just not been good enough. Now I get some of that does come from the defense putting them behind early in a couple of these games, but to start games this year this offense has also gone 3 and out, punt, fg, 3 and out so they really aren't starting fast either. The thing the offense really has going for them is they are scoring at an efficient rate scoring on 45% of their drives which is 9th in the league, and 7th in yards per point at 13.6. It may be tough to keep that up though if they cant better sustain drives as they average just 5.9 plays per drive, 29 yards per drive, and they only take off an average of 2:28 per drive which is 27th in the league. A lot of the data suggests the Cowboys scoring has been due to a very middle of the road offense with help from field position and special teams.

Defensively I'm not trying to say its been pretty by any means, but by most metrics its not quite as bad as we make it out to be.

19th in rushing yards per attempt allowed
22nd in yards per play
20th in scoring percentage per drive

These are not great numbers, but honestly I expected them to be last or close to last. To try and be a little bit positive though they pass rush metrics are still there, as their pressure rates, sack rates, and QB hit rates are all top 10 in the league. The defense is likely going to have to grind through the next couple of weeks, but if they can stay mostly healthy as Parsons/Diggs get back I think there is a path for this unit to get a lot better. Gotta shore up the run defense and need Zimmer to let these DBs play aggressive and do what they're good at.

blueblood70

Reaction score
There is some merit to what you're saying, but I simply think this defense when healthy has legitimate game changing caliber players at all three levels. Offensively I think this team is pretty average and hopefully I'm wrong, but I just dont see much room for improvement from this side. RBBC hasnt produced much, WRBC after Lamb hasnt really produced much other than some flashes here and there. OL is the group that could help if they can get better, but I'm just not seeing it. I think Martin/Steele are what they are at this point. Guyton has the physical ability to be a great LT, but makes the same mistakes over and over, I'm thinking 2025 might be a more realistic scenario where he takes a jump with a full offseason. Right now this offense is:

21st in completion percentage
17th in passing yards per attempt
28th in rushing yards per attempt

They've really just not been good enough. Now I get some of that does come from the defense putting them behind early in a couple of these games, but to start games this year this offense has also gone 3 and out, punt, fg, 3 and out so they really aren't starting fast either. The thing the offense really has going for them is they are scoring at an efficient rate scoring on 45% of their drives which is 9th in the league, and 7th in yards per point at 13.6. It may be tough to keep that up though if they cant better sustain drives as they average just 5.9 plays per drive, 29 yards per drive, and they only take off an average of 2:28 per drive which is 27th in the league. A lot of the data suggests the Cowboys scoring has been due to a very middle of the road offense with help from field position and special teams.

Defensively I'm not trying to say its been pretty by any means, but by most metrics its not quite as bad as we make it out to be.

19th in rushing yards per attempt allowed
22nd in yards per play
20th in scoring percentage per drive

These are not great numbers, but honestly I expected them to be last or close to last. To try and be a little bit positive though they pass rush metrics are still there, as their pressure rates, sack rates, and QB hit rates are all top 10 in the league. The defense is likely going to have to grind through the next couple of weeks, but if they can stay mostly healthy as Parsons/Diggs get back I think there is a path for this unit to get a lot better. Gotta shore up the run defense and need Zimmer to let these DBs play aggressive and do what they're good at.
Man I've already got tired head I'm not reading that and I'm not debating this anymore our defense is absolutely horrible they are creating a situation in an atmosphere in which our offense can get no rhythm and can't get the ball back enough especially in this last game the time of possession is ridiculous.

I'm telling you the defense is icing our offense they're playing keep away they're not giving us enough opportunities and that is a fact it does affect the team and then you add the penalties in and there's no way we're 21st and completion percentage and all that stuff when you add in last night's game I mean you can talk all you want my eyes tell me all I need to know I watch a lot of football possessions matter time of possession matters last night our defense I start off and we probably could've put up 30 Prescott had a 80% completion percentage last night and his guys weren't even getting open...

Right now our offense and special teams are clearly better than our defense so no I'm not envisioning anything I'm not reading all that I don't care our defense is creating the problems with our offense they're not getting sacks turnovers or stops they're not getting the ball back they're not even giving our offense time to get in the rhythm and get better so until that gets fixed our offense will not look dynamic but our offense is clearly better than our defense right now guaranteed I don't care how many posts you try to be about stats I don't need stats my eyes and my football knowledge tells me the time of possession not getting turnovers not getting the team to put and having them hold the ball that long you're not gonna be a very good offense.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Man I've already got tired head I'm not reading that and I'm not debating this anymore our defense is absolutely horrible they are creating a situation in an atmosphere in which our offense can get no rhythm and can't get the ball back enough especially in this last game the time of possession is ridiculous.

I'm telling you the defense is icing our offense they're playing keep away they're not giving us enough opportunities and that is a fact it does affect the team and then you add the penalties in and there's no way we're 21st and completion percentage and all that stuff when you add in last night's game I mean you can talk all you want my eyes tell me all I need to know I watch a lot of football possessions matter time of possession matters last night our defense I start off and we probably could've put up 30 Prescott had a 80% completion percentage last night and his guys weren't even getting open...

Right now our offense and special teams are clearly better than our defense so no I'm not envisioning anything I'm not reading all that I don't care our defense is creating the problems with our offense they're not getting sacks turnovers or stops they're not getting the ball back they're not even giving our offense time to get in the rhythm and get better so until that gets fixed our offense will not look dynamic but our offense is clearly better than our defense right now guaranteed I don't care how many posts you try to be about stats I don't need stats my eyes and my football knowledge tells me the time of possession not getting turnovers not getting the team to put and having them hold the ball that long you're not gonna be a very good offense.
not surprising you expect everyone else to read your novels but then when someone writes a long post in response you brush it off

all you care about is defending Dak that is clear; the offense has failed almost as much as the D has if not as spectacularly