Observations after approximately 23.5% of the season

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Man I've already got tired head I'm not reading that and I'm not debating this anymore our defense is absolutely horrible they are creating a situation in an atmosphere in which our offense can get no rhythm and can't get the ball back enough especially in this last game the time of possession is ridiculous.

I'm telling you the defense is icing our offense they're playing keep away they're not giving us enough opportunities and that is a fact it does affect the team and then you add the penalties in and there's no way we're 21st and completion percentage and all that stuff when you add in last night's game I mean you can talk all you want my eyes tell me all I need to know I watch a lot of football possessions matter time of possession matters last night our defense I start off and we probably could've put up 30 Prescott had a 80% completion percentage last night and his guys weren't even getting open...

Right now our offense and special teams are clearly better than our defense so no I'm not envisioning anything I'm not reading all that I don't care our defense is creating the problems with our offense they're not getting sacks turnovers or stops they're not getting the ball back they're not even giving our offense time to get in the rhythm and get better so until that gets fixed our offense will not look dynamic but our offense is clearly better than our defense right now guaranteed I don't care how many posts you try to be about stats I don't need stats my eyes and my football knowledge tells me the time of possession not getting turnovers not getting the team to put and having them hold the ball that long you're not gonna be a very good offense.
You're entitled to your opinion, I'm just passing along the stats. The Cowboys offense is averaging 11 drives per game this year which is the league average, and by almost every metric they have been league average. its a complete team sport so I think its fair to say the defense could be a factor, but this game is all about facing adversity.

Cowboy_svt

Reaction score
Man I've already got tired head I'm not reading that and I'm not debating this anymore our defense is absolutely horrible they are creating a situation in an atmosphere in which our offense can get no rhythm and can't get the ball back enough especially in this last game the time of possession is ridiculous.

I'm telling you the defense is icing our offense they're playing keep away they're not giving us enough opportunities and that is a fact it does affect the team and then you add the penalties in and there's no way we're 21st and completion percentage and all that stuff when you add in last night's game I mean you can talk all you want my eyes tell me all I need to know I watch a lot of football possessions matter time of possession matters last night our defense I start off and we probably could've put up 30 Prescott had a 80% completion percentage last night and his guys weren't even getting open...

Right now our offense and special teams are clearly better than our defense so no I'm not envisioning anything I'm not reading all that I don't care our defense is creating the problems with our offense they're not getting sacks turnovers or stops they're not getting the ball back they're not even giving our offense time to get in the rhythm and get better so until that gets fixed our offense will not look dynamic but our offense is clearly better than our defense right now guaranteed I don't care how many posts you try to be about stats I don't need stats my eyes and my football knowledge tells me the time of possession not getting turnovers not getting the team to put and having them hold the ball that long you're not gonna be a very good offense.
peak fanzone right here

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Defense is done minus a trade. Jerry made sure of that in the Spring by stating pat. Offense can get a lot better if McCarthy had better schemes. Also he is so stubborn but in reality, I think Jones is making the call. On trying Cook and using the rookie receiver Flournoy. But old Grinch Jerry says " we like our guys" :facepalm: The Grinch that stole Dallas Cowboy seasons....

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
disagree but agree its not realistic and can't be envisioned. the bad D effect this offense ..playing keep away TOP so lopsided its on the d our O trying to protect them is causing this illusion IMO The d is so far away we have a very good O and special teams is top notch, oops the D is terrible,, the warts are just that too many to get rid of in the short term.. if they dont fix the D quickly we will be OUT OF IT before they become good enough!
It’s not the fault of the defense that the offense can’t sustain drives. Maybe the offense can help the defense too? It works both ways.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
We aren’t very good and we don’t have enough resources to be that great in future years.

You wanted the Dak show. Enjoy.. It’s here to stay.

Hello mediocrity.
Without Dak this team wouldn't win a game. Dak needs to get better but most of this crap comes from a McCarthy playbook that High schoolers could learn the first game... we been mediocrity for 30 years now. Why blame Dak???? Mahomes wouldn't win here either. Please tell us all how many SB's Mahomes would of had in Dallas at this point??? Same coaches-same scheme-same GM... etc....

blueblood70

Reaction score
You're entitled to your opinion, I'm just passing along the stats. The Cowboys offense is averaging 11 drives per game this year which is the league average, and by almost every metric they have been league average. its a complete team sport so I think its fair to say the defense could be a factor, but this game is all about facing adversity.
How many drives did we had last night and don't even try to count that one minute before the half?

rags747

Reaction score
This team needs a heavy duty influx of talent. Should have traded Dak for multiple 1’s 2’s 3’s. Lance would have had us at the same 2-2!

blueblood70

Reaction score
And I keep telling you stacks don't matter you can compile whatever you want and I'm going to tell you how bad defense effects the offense it's been like that for quite awhile they blame the offense even though the defense isn't gonna make a stop the entire game like in the Green Bay game last year just like the offense gave Dan Quinn a 14 and 17 point lead in the Green Bay and Jacksonville Jaguar games a couple years ago and they flat out blew the game the defensive and blowing games since daks rookie year they've been blowing games and creating a mess for the offense to try to clean up because these threads like you're trying to pass along to us to make us think it's the offense when we know it's the damn defense...

Here's a good example a couple years back we're playing the 49ers in a close game in the playoffs but in the first half depot Samuels had 10 yards of carry Trayvon diggs misses breaking up a very critical catch by kiddos in which he was bobbling all he had to do was probably bump the guy and he drops it he misses a sheer interception lot of long drives giving up the time of possession getting thrown off and if we go back and blame the offense because we said no way this was a low scoring game the offense should have won no that's an illusion time of possession matters and when they allow long drives and long runs and 10 yards per carry that by the end of the game it was around six yards per carry you can't go back and blame the offense even though yes they are part of the reason we lost but I'm telling you in Dallas Cowboys the last 20 years everyone's complaining about the playoffs most of it has been on the damn defense I don't care if that Rams game in 2018 was really close the time of possession it's all the 278 yards on the ground giving up this just keeps coming bro I mean this keeps happening and then we go back and knows an 8 point game at the office just going to play better..

This gets home this the blame just yes the offense is playing bad in some games, yes,

but you go back to the Seattle game last year Prescott put the team on his back the offense had to outscore the other team without punting I mean literally what kind of damn defense is that that don't punt or you lose the game defense that's the problem around here we're asking the offense to make miracles happen and say well look at the stats it must be part of the offense's fault no again how many actual legitimate drives did the Dallas Cowboys have yesterday?

Leave when you look at the game with open eyes we might have had 7 legitimate drives and the way the defense is playing we're asking the offense you better score on every drive or you're probably losing the game that's what it's going to happen against better teams we got lucky it was just the giants but when you give up 35 minutes of time possession you're taking away at least 2 if not three drives and you're leaving your offense getting cold on the bench I mean when you create momentum after that CD lamb touchdown and then the Rico touchdown it looks like this offense was about to blow the giants out and then they sit for 14 minutes if you can't see it can't help you..

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
How many drives did we had last night and don't even try to count that one minute before the half?
Last night I believe they had 7 or 8, but are we talking about one game or the season as a whole so far? If we are talking just about last night then the Cowboys have the best run defense in the league.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Last night I believe they had 7 or 8, but are we talking about one game or the season as a whole so far? If we are talking just about last night then the Cowboys have the best run defense in the league.
Like I said maybe 7 legitimate drives that doesn't count with one minute left in the half when you sat for 14 minutes and you add in all the penalties and stuff and the ridiculous that happened they literally seem to have sat almost the entire second quarter and a big part of the third quarter before they had another legitimate job I mean if you cannot see it I can't help you time of possession man quality drives by the office matters just as much as if our offense would have went three and out seven times then our defense is on the field all the time and yes that could happen in games but lately it's been the defense that's absolutely throwing bombs onto our offense I call it icing our offense we can't get the ball back enough to win it happened in that Rams playoff game not enough possessions to get things going or ever get any kind of rhythm in your office when your defense is basically giving most of the game to the opposing office they're playing keep away..

I'll tell you this. When the offense is the key reason we lose the game this year and the defense played great in this alleged eye opening moment that the defense is gonna be better than the offense by wind you mean when we start seeing bad teams?, then you let me know you can bookmark this and we come back and talk about it but right now most of Prescott and romo's career have been destroyed by either penalties or by the defense in big games the defense has been the biggest problem on our team you wanna go back last year to the five losses and the win against Seattle trying to tell me the defense played well in any of those games again they put it all on the offense hey you need to go win no matter what I'm sorry we can't help you there is no run game we can't stop the run we can't stop we're giving up long time of possessions sure it's on you to win these games because that's what people keep trying to tell us because they think Prescott and lamb and all the players that get paid on offense before that it was zeke that somehow they're responsible for winning no matter the environment that's what you're trying to tell me and I'm telling you when that happens you let me know when the defense plays such a great game that the offense actually is the sole reason we lost you let me know and I'll come in here and agree with you if it's a true fact.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
And I keep telling you stacks don't matter you can compile whatever you want and I'm going to tell you how bad defense effects the offense it's been like that for quite awhile they blame the offense even though the defense isn't gonna make a stop the entire game like in the Green Bay game last year just like the offense gave Dan Quinn a 14 and 17 point lead in the Green Bay and Jacksonville Jaguar games a couple years ago and they flat out blew the game the defensive and blowing games since daks rookie year they've been blowing games and creating a mess for the offense to try to clean up because these threads like you're trying to pass along to us to make us think it's the offense when we know it's the damn defense...

Here's a good example a couple years back we're playing the 49ers in a close game in the playoffs but in the first half depot Samuels had 10 yards of carry Trayvon diggs misses breaking up a very critical catch by kiddos in which he was bobbling all he had to do was probably bump the guy and he drops it he misses a sheer interception lot of long drives giving up the time of possession getting thrown off and if we go back and blame the offense because we said no way this was a low scoring game the offense should have won no that's an illusion time of possession matters and when they allow long drives and long runs and 10 yards per carry that by the end of the game it was around six yards per carry you can't go back and blame the offense even though yes they are part of the reason we lost but I'm telling you in Dallas Cowboys the last 20 years everyone's complaining about the playoffs most of it has been on the damn defense I don't care if that Rams game in 2018 was really close the time of possession it's all the 278 yards on the ground giving up this just keeps coming bro I mean this keeps happening and then we go back and knows an 8 point game at the office just going to play better..

This gets home this the blame just yes the offense is playing bad in some games, yes,

but you go back to the Seattle game last year Prescott put the team on his back the offense had to outscore the other team without punting I mean literally what kind of damn defense is that that don't punt or you lose the game defense that's the problem around here we're asking the offense to make miracles happen and say well look at the stats it must be part of the offense's fault no again how many actual legitimate drives did the Dallas Cowboys have yesterday?

Leave when you look at the game with open eyes we might have had 7 legitimate drives and the way the defense is playing we're asking the offense you better score on every drive or you're probably losing the game that's what it's going to happen against better teams we got lucky it was just the giants but when you give up 35 minutes of time possession you're taking away at least 2 if not three drives and you're leaving your offense getting cold on the bench I mean when you create momentum after that CD lamb touchdown and then the Rico touchdown it looks like this offense was about to blow the giants out and then they sit for 14 minutes if you can't see it can't help you..
I'm not saying the defense did a great job getting off the field last night, but the thread is about the entirety of the season and you're stuck on one game. Even still the offense needs to perform. Just this past Monday Washington only got 6 drives and put up 38 against Cincinnati. Defense needs to play better, the offense needs to play better, nothing wrong with both of those being true statements.

blueblood70

Reaction score
U have zero proof
I don't need any I look around the league and all the players like Trey Lance without a dynamic defense and a dynamic run game in a prolific offensive line they fail he couldn't even do it in San Francisco when they're one of the best teams and coaches in the league that's all the proof I need redhead now you're blocked I am not having a debate with someone is a delusional as you who thinks we can win these types of games with a guy like Trey Lance Cooper rush would not have won these games...

I don't think you understand without a run game in an offensive line and without separation from your wide receivers Prescott nearly had to be perfect to get these balls in the small separation windows Trey Lance would have had four interceptions last night and we would have lost the game Daniel Jones is better than Trey Lance and he couldn't even beat our bad defense that's all I need to know you need to watch more football Trey Lance tights need a perfect environment they strong run game strong offensive line and great defense that's what those types of quarterbacks need he is not on that team right now this team is in shambles and we're two and two because Prescott it's on this team and that is a fact I don't need proof I watch enough football to know you're 100% off base 'cause you believe what you think you're seeing on the field trailers can do no all he can do is run and throw bad passes he would need wide open receivers and he would need a run game to take the heat off him there's no way he's winning any of these games he would've been 0-4 and I'm telling you I don't need proof...

blueblood70

Reaction score
I'm not saying the defense did a great job getting off the field last night, but the thread is about the entirety of the season and you're stuck on one game. Even still the offense needs to perform. Just this past Monday Washington only got 6 drives and put up 38 against Cincinnati. Defense needs to play better, the offense needs to play better, nothing wrong with both of those being true statements.
Not just last night I don't wanna hear about it most and I said most 75% of our losses have been absolutely because of our defense in big games the last three or four years and even going back to the Romo days were asking too much of our quarterbacks in our offense something they never did with the 90s or the 70s championship teams those quarterbacks never had to carry the team they never had to worry about anything on offense because their defense the coaching and then they had a run game and an offense so they didn't have to be dynamic in every game to win they won games like last night...

I don't care about Washington that's a different game why are you trying to steer this to another area we did not get to play the Bengals defense we did not get to see that situational football you can't compare the two games 'cause you feel like it again that's what I'm saying you have to play perfect press cut did that in the Seattle game last year by the way you can occasionally have a game like that but you need guys getting open and you need a run game yes you can get lucky and only have those possessions..

Check out what you did you tried to go to a different game you tried to show me another NFL game and I'm talking about our defense I'm talking about our team over the last 10 to 15 years but if you wanna keep it since 2016 most of the big games we have lost was because of bad defense because of time of possession and lack of opportunities lack of rhythm our offense is not able to get in when our defense just plays like crap why do you think no one got fired and marinelli got fired and now Mike Zimmer comes in after Quinn and we thought Quinn was bad in big games and it's the same thing same old story blame the offense say the offense could play better sure they could you're asking them to win the game by themselves...

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I don't need any I look around the league and all the players like Trey Lance without a dynamic defense and a dynamic run game in a prolific offensive line they fail he couldn't even do it in San Francisco when they're one of the best teams and coaches in the league that's all the proof I need redhead now you're blocked I am not having a debate with someone is a delusional as you who thinks we can win these types of games with a guy like Trey Lance Cooper rush would not have won these games...

I don't think you understand without a run game in an offensive line and without separation from your wide receivers Prescott nearly had to be perfect to get these balls in the small separation windows Trey Lance would have had four interceptions last night and we would have lost the game Daniel Jones is better than Trey Lance and he couldn't even beat our bad defense that's all I need to know you need to watch more football Trey Lance tights need a perfect environment they strong run game strong offensive line and great defense that's what those types of quarterbacks need he is not on that team right now this team is in shambles and we're two and two because Prescott it's on this team and that is a fact I don't need proof I watch enough football to know you're 100% off base 'cause you believe what you think you're seeing on the field trailers can do no all he can do is run and throw bad passes he would need wide open receivers and he would need a run game to take the heat off him there's no way he's winning any of these games he would've been 0-4 and I'm telling you I don't need proof...
So what are you actually trying to argue here? You get on me for saying the offense needs to play better, and a couple post later you say the offense doesn't have a good run game, offensive line, and receivers that cant get separation. Do we have a great offense or not? Or do we strictly have a great offense because of the QB?

phildadon86

Reaction score
A win is win in the NFL, especially for a team absolutely desperate for any kind of W. I didn’t get to see the game live but watched it in its entirety early this morning. That was one of the ugliest football games I’ve ever seen. Nine penalties for the Cowboys in the first half alone. Man that was like watching a couple of bad boxers trying to win a fight.

Well…at least the Cowboys won. It’s better to WIN an ugly game than lose while looking good doing it.

At the end of September after four games, this team is 2-2, and has only played 23.5% of the season. We can look at it as having lots of time to improve or feel like this team is at best barely mediocre.

Here are some big picture observations about this team 4 games into the season:
  • The Cowboys have more snaps from rookies than any team in the NFL so far this year. That can be both good and bad. Rookies, regardless of talent level, have lots of learning curves. Guyton for example is struggling some in pass protection. Hopefully that gets better.
  • This team essentially has no running threat. It can occasionally get a short yardage pickup when needed but the RB room is the collective worst I’ve seen in the last 3 decades. If this organization is serious about winning this year, they need to get some talent in the backfield.
  • Because there is no threat for a RB to take it to the house at any time, opposing defenses are dropping their safeties VERY deep to take away the deep and intermediate routes. They are basically giving us the short pass. Defenses do not respect our running game for good reason. Without some improvement in the running game, this team will be struggling to score more than 20 points a game.
  • The offense has two weapons and that’s not enough. Cedee Lamb and Jake Ferguson…that’s it. The WR and RB positions are below average as a group. If Ferguson gets hurt, I shudder to think what the TE position looks like.
  • The defense may end up being better than the offense. That may sound hard to believe right now, but this offense is toothless. We did see some improvement in the defense’s run game stops vs the giants but it was against a below average running game. We have to hope the injuries with Parsons and DLaw are not serious.
Being 2-2 is better than 1-3. But this team right now is not very good. Having said that it’s only 23.5% into the season. Can they get better without some help on offense and some injury luck on defense? We will find out over time.
Jerry showed us this was a throwaway year.

Its sad that he does this because he doesnt want to pay the coaching staff to not coach.

BB should have been brought in the day after the GB loss.

blueblood70

Reaction score
So what are you actually trying to argue here? You get on me for saying the offense needs to play better, and a couple post later you say the offense doesn't have a good run game, offensive line, and receivers that cant get separation. Do we have a great offense or not? Or do we strictly have a great offense because of the QB?
no you're saying the whole thread started that the defense could end up being better than the offense,

and im saying that's not happening anytime soon, the O and STs are heads and tails better than the D as it sits NOW and cant see change for a while. Why because if the D improves The O will as well, that my point, i don't see any reality where this d becomes better than the offense...not chance but let me know when it happens,

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think a cheaper QB would change the outlook.

Dak’s fine. The problem is you can’t pay him and provide a team around him that’s championship caliber.

I actually think Dak is a very decent player.

You almost have to draft perfectly and as great as we are at drafting we will never be good enough to win with him on the books.

The teams with young QBs on rookie deals or Vets playing way under market value are the real contenders.

Dallas is screwed really until Dak retires.
I get your message. It's not if Dak sucks or not....just get different vibe going? It's not as terrible as some people would wish for. Teams do it all the time...and they don't know what's guaranteed either.

The notion that ONLY Dak can QB this team, and you better not even TRY to move on.... is so weird...psychotic even. It flies in the face of how sports and business in general works.

It's how Jerry thinks of himself....so chew on THAT.