Observations after approximately 23.5% of the season

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Not just last night I don't wanna hear about it most and I said most 75% of our losses have been absolutely because of our defense in big games the last three or four years and even going back to the Romo days were asking too much of our quarterbacks in our offense something they never did with the 90s or the 70s championship teams those quarterbacks never had to carry the team they never had to worry about anything on offense because their defense the coaching and then they had a run game and an offense so they didn't have to be dynamic in every game to win they won games like last night...

I don't care about Washington that's a different game why are you trying to steer this to another area we did not get to play the Bengals defense we did not get to see that situational football you can't compare the two games 'cause you feel like it again that's what I'm saying you have to play perfect press cut did that in the Seattle game last year by the way you can occasionally have a game like that but you need guys getting open and you need a run game yes you can get lucky and only have those possessions..

Check out what you did you tried to go to a different game you tried to show me another NFL game and I'm talking about our defense I'm talking about our team over the last 10 to 15 years but if you wanna keep it since 2016 most of the big games we have lost was because of bad defense because of time of possession and lack of opportunities lack of rhythm our offense is not able to get in when our defense just plays like crap why do you think no one got fired and marinelli got fired and now Mike Zimmer comes in after Quinn and we thought Quinn was bad in big games and it's the same thing same old story blame the offense say the offense could play better sure they could you're asking them to win the game by themselves...
I bring up Washington for the same reason I brought up the Cowboys rankings vs the rest of the league in my previous post....performance vs the mean matters. If we are going to judge player/unit/teams performance it has to be in relation to other teams. Yes ultimately the final score of that specific game is what matters, but how can we say this offense is good or bad if we are not comparing to the rest of the league. The Cowboys offense is far from the only unit that has had to deal with a low number of drives in a game. KC, WASH, Cin, ATL, SF, LAR, NYJ, PHI, RB, BUF, ARI are all averaging 10 drives or less per game this year. The Cowboy offense overall this season is in the top 10 in average number of drives per game. KC only had 10 drives last week against ATL, and 3 of those came with under a minute left in each half so by your definition they only had 7 drives that matter. This is far from just a Cowboy issue, offenses will be faced with adverse conditions at times.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
I think a cheaper QB would change the outlook.

Dak’s fine. The problem is you can’t pay him and provide a team around him that’s championship caliber.

I actually think Dak is a very decent player.

You almost have to draft perfectly and as great as we are at drafting we will never be good enough to win with him on the books.

The teams with young QBs on rookie deals or Vets playing way under market value are the real contenders.

Dallas is screwed really until Dak retires.
Dak made ~500k per season for 4 years. We still never advanced past the divisional round. Dak is not the best or the worst,
but there isn't a QB in the NFL right now that could get this front office, coaching staff and roster past the divisional round.

This front office gambled on a bunch of minimum wage players, and they've tried to shift the reasoning to the fact they had to pay Dak and CD. Had Dak taken 5M less per year and CD taken 2M less per year, we STILL would have the same issues.

This is a front office that had an entire draft centered around improving the special teams 1 year.

This is a front office that went into a season vowing to have "WR by committee". They had to ditch it a little over a quarter into the season because they realized what many fans ALREADY knew.....if not for the trade we don't even make the playoffs that year

Fast forward to today....and the running back by committee strategy. Which would not be all bad if you had ONE proven back that you could count on to get average 80 yards a game....then a couple of other backs that could get you between 35 - 50. But we don't. And much like many of us knew BEFORE the season that the RB room is a disaster, we are seeing this nightmare unfold before our eyes.

The lack of a run game is preventing this marginal WR corps (even with a great player like Lamb) to look anemic

Don't get me started on the defense

In summary, we got a lot of problems, so I was just wondering why you singled out Dak....and sounds like its because of how much money he makes. And even with a 10% haircut on his salary....I still think this team would be 2-2 with not much hope this year.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Dak made ~500k per season for 4 years. We still never advanced past the divisional round. Dak is not the best or the worst,
but there isn't a QB in the NFL right now that could get this front office, coaching staff and roster past the divisional round.

This front office gambled on a bunch of minimum wage players, and they've tried to shift the reasoning to the fact they had to pay Dak and CD. Had Dak taken 5M less per year and CD taken 2M less per year, we STILL would have the same issues.

This is a front office that had an entire draft centered around improving the special teams 1 year.

This is a front office that went into a season vowing to have "WR by committee". They had to ditch it a little over a quarter into the season because they realized what many fans ALREADY knew.....if not for the trade we don't even make the playoffs that year

Fast forward to today....and the running back by committee strategy. Which would not be all bad if you had ONE proven back that you could count on to get average 80 yards a game....then a couple of other backs that could get you between 35 - 50. But we don't. And much like many of us knew BEFORE the season that the RB room is a disaster, we are seeing this nightmare unfold before our eyes.

The lack of a run game is preventing this marginal WR corps (even with a great player like Lamb) to look anemic

Don't get me started on the defense

In summary, we got a lot of problems, so I was just wondering why you singled out Dak....and sounds like its because of how much money he makes. And even with a 10% haircut on his salary....I still think this team would be 2-2 with not much hope this year.

I’m talking about league trends and not necessarily focused on the Cowboys.

Saying Dak had 4 years to win on his rookie deal is just focusing on nothing but the Cowboys.

Their is a recipe to win Superbowls and the Cowboys are doing what all the other losers are doing.

Rookie deals and underpaid vets are the key. Or HOF QBs which we don’t have.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I bring up Washington for the same reason I brought up the Cowboys rankings vs the rest of the league in my previous post....performance vs the mean matters. If we are going to judge player/unit/teams performance it has to be in relation to other teams. Yes ultimately the final score of that specific game is what matters, but how can we say this offense is good or bad if we are not comparing to the rest of the league. The Cowboys offense is far from the only unit that has had to deal with a low number of drives in a game. KC, WASH, Cin, ATL, SF, LAR, NYJ, PHI, RB, BUF, ARI are all averaging 10 drives or less per game this year. The Cowboy offense overall this season is in the top 10 in average number of drives per game. KC only had 10 drives last week against ATL, and 3 of those came with under a minute left in each half so by your definition they only had 7 drives that matter. This is far from just a Cowboy issue, offenses will be faced with adverse conditions at times.
not 4 games in it doesn't. If the D gets better gives us 3-4 more possession we score more. Got it?? it's hard to play offense when your defense starts saints and ravens game in a blowouts , hard to play catchup same with the GB game, its not the same as those closer games lmao.. good you think so.. I do not..D plays better the O will improve as well..this D will NOT be better than the offense anytime soon..that was Bobs quote and that what im, arguing. Its the Ds fault our O is off right now..PERIOD ..talk to me when the D is the strength of this team and the O is faltering. Until than BYE!!!

rambo2

Reaction score
I’m talking about league trends and not necessarily focused on the Cowboys.

Saying Dak had 4 years to win on his rookie deal is just focusing on nothing but the Cowboys.

Their is a recipe to win Superbowls and the Cowboys are doing what all the other losers are doing.

Rookie deals and underpaid vets are the key. Or HOF QBs which we don’t have.
The NFC and the Super Bowl is wide open.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I always wait for 24% of the season in the books before evaluating.

I don't want to jump to conclusions.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The NFC and the Super Bowl is wide open.
Maybe but not for the Cowboys.

I don’t see upside with this team.

There is nothing I can point to and say by the end of the year this unit is going to separate us from the pack.

Maaaaaybe the Oline could be that unit but this Cowboys group looks mediocre as can be to me.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
It’s not the fault of the defense that the offense can’t sustain drives. Maybe the offense can help the defense too? It works both ways.
its job of the defense to stop the other team and get off the field. Giants. the putrid giants didn't punt until end of 3rd quarter.....

maybe the defense can help the offense too. make sure they don't force the offense to be one dimentional having to play catch up.

how many punts have the opponents had in the past three games?

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We are what most predicted we are. Rinse repeat hot garbage.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
not 4 games in it doesn't. If the D gets better gives us 3-4 more possession we score more. Got it?? it's hard to play offense when your defense starts saints and ravens game in a blowouts , hard to play catchup same with the GB game, its not the same as those closer games lmao.. good you think so.. I do not..D plays better the O will improve as well..this D will NOT be better than the offense anytime soon..that was Bobs quote and that what im, arguing. Its the Ds fault our O is off right now..PERIOD ..talk to me when the D is the strength of this team and the O is faltering. Until than BYE!!!
OHHHHH I think I get it now....

Cleveland game - Offense struggled because the defense/special teams played too good so we had a comfortable lead
New Orleans game - Offense struggled because the defense let NO score too quick
Baltimore - Offense only put up 6 points on 6 possessions in the first half because....well I forget the excuse for this one so we will just pay attention to the 2nd half
New York - Defense didn't let the offense get enough possessions

I'm sure it has nothing to do with having one of the worst run games in football and a lack of playmakers at receiver past Lamb.

rambo2

Reaction score
its job of the defense to stop the other team and get off the field. Giants. the putrid giants didn't punt until end of 3rd quarter.....

maybe the defense can help the offense too. make sure they don't force the offense to be one dimentional having to play catch up.

The Giants scored 0 tds. Thanks to Overshown.

nhcowboysfan

Reaction score
Because most teams don't play their starters in preseason, I always believe the first four games is a feeling out process. Some teams get out of the gate faster than others. Going into the season I believed that we would have growing pains learning a new defensive scheme and with two OL rookies staring. After four games - which is still only one quarter of the season - here are my concerns. Our two wins have come against two teams with underperforming QBs and anemic rushing attacks. Our two losses have come against opponents with solid runningbacks but also playmakers at the QB and WR positions. We have now lost both DLaw and Parsons at least thru the bye week. I can't foresee us winning either game against the Steelers or Lions as both are capable of gutting our defense with the running game. The Steelers have a running QB in Fields and Najee Harris at RB; the Lions have a solid 1-2 punch at RB with Gibbs and Montgomery and two playmakers in the passing game with St. Brown and LaPorta. Then we still have to play the 49ers after the bye. Unless McCarthy and his assistants can pull some magic out of their backsides, I see us sitting at 2-5 after the next three games.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score

Of course it is, but again, putting the blame on the defense and making excuses for the offense is wrong. Both contribute to the suckage.