OC Schottenheimer update on Trey Lance

Jfconrow

Reaction score
I know it probably takes a few years to learn the system. Romo got to sit the bench and learn for a long time. It does seem like something is wrong if it takes a QB 3 years to learn the system. Dak had it down pretty well his first year, or maybe they simplified the playbook for him early and relied on the run game.

Is Trey really going to learn the system for 3 years then sign a backup contract? Also if Rush knows the system a lot better shouldn’t he be the #2? Trey must have some good skills for them to put him ahead of a guy who knows the system

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
I just don’t understand why they can’t use his athleticism. Defenses are geared to stop Dak. I remember when the Ravens finally benched Flacco for Lamar and went on a playoff run because teams were not ready for Lamar’s running. The one positive thing about Lance I hear from camp is he is a supreme athlete. By the way Lamar was more limited as a passer his first year then Lance is now.
Perhaps Lance’s “athleticism“ is not significant. The Ravens and Eagles both have quarterbacks known for their ability to run (athleticism). What two teams felt compelled to sign free agent running backs to large contracts?

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
I know it probably takes a few years to learn the system. Romo got to sit the bench and learn for a long time. It does seem like something is wrong if it takes a QB 3 years to learn the system. Dak had it down pretty well his first year, or maybe they simplified the playbook for him early and relied on the run game.

Is Trey really going to learn the system for 3 years then sign a backup contract? Also if Rush knows the system a lot better shouldn’t he be the #2? Trey must have some good skills for them to put him ahead of a guy who knows the system
What system? No one knows for sure who the Cowboys’ head coach will be in 2025. Whatever Lance learns now won’t matter 12 months from now. Probably why he has not been offered a contract beyond this season. Three words for Trey. Winnipeg - Blue - Bombers.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
HOF game is less than a pre-season game. Playing well there means absolutely notihing.

Remember Aikman was 4-0 in his first preseason, the promptly lost every game he played in the regular season that year.
Kellen Moore was 50-3 in college (which was repeated endlessly to me when I said he would never amount to anything in the NFL as a quarterback) and how'd that turn out?.

I could go on and on, but until the kid plays meaningful (regular season) games and does well I'll not expect much from him.
I am not talking about winning or stats, it was his passes, and a pass is a pass no matter where it happens.
Granted defenders would be better in a real game, more pressure, but I was impressed with his passes, and his vision.

As for Aikman, that first season jimmy wanted to lose most games so as to have the # 1 pick , he admitted that.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Tolbert has been outstanding. The team is going to be better without Gallup.
He makes a lot of catches.

Btw, Lance has an arm.

His deep passes are money.

Dallas needs to be comfortable with him running the offense.

I’d like to see him get more reps with the 1’s.

The foot work and passing mods make his passes quicker and more accurate.

Last edited:

DuncanIso

Reaction score
What system? No one knows for sure who the Cowboys’ head coach will be in 2025. Whatever Lance learns now won’t matter 12 months from now. Probably why he has not been offered a contract beyond this season. Three words for Trey. Winnipeg - Blue - Bombers.
It’s cheaper for Dallas not to use the 5th year option.

They can extend his gtd $$$ several seasons.

DuncanIso

Reaction score

Lance is the reason Dak hasn’t signed another cap-busting mega-millions contract.

They need to see what they have with the kid.

Qcard

Reaction score
I see you are finally onboard with Lance being a backup. The kid was never a threat for Dak. Don’t let the Dak haters fool you.
But that has always been the plan....Dak Haters Hate Prescott so much they would speed up and ruin Trey's development just to get a Weak leverage :lmao2:

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Perhaps Lance’s “athleticism“ is not significant. The Ravens and Eagles both have quarterbacks known for their ability to run (athleticism). What two teams felt compelled to sign free agent running backs to large contracts?
The Eagles and Ravens signed running backs because they know their quarterbacks are limited passers. The best way for both teams to win is a strong running game with a good defense.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
But that has always been the plan....Dak Haters Hate Prescott so much they would speed up and ruin Trey's development just to get a Weak leverage :lmao2:
Yeah Dak is a top quarterback in this league. Trey should stay and learn from Dak . The kid needs to develop. Learn the offense and then at 27 years of age he can show who he is.

Qcard

Reaction score
Yeah Dak is a top quarterback in this league. Trey should stay and learn from Dak . The kid needs to develop. Learn the offense and then at 27 years of age he can show who he is.
Trigger Trey should be on the Jordan Love development plan....

But Dak Haters Hate Prescott so much they don't care about normal football progression.

Why are we surprised? Dak Haters want to forego the Season....only the playoffs matter :laugh: :laugh:

baltcowboy

Reaction score

But Dak Haters Hate Prescott so much they don't care about normal football progression.

Why are we surprised? Dak Haters want to forego the Season....only the playoffs matter :laugh: :laugh:
I stopped following Dak haters when someone asked them what their plan to replace Dak was a few years ago and one them said let’s get the next Mahomes. :facepalm: :rolleyes:. They are absolutely clueless. The problem with the Cowboys is clearly not Dak.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I stopped following Dak haters when someone asked them what their plan to replace Dak was a few years ago and one them said let’s get the next Mahomes. :facepalm: :rolleyes:. They are absolutely clueless. The problem with the Cowboys is clearly not Dak.
see last play off loss.

DuncanIso

Reaction score

The team cant afford to pay Dak another $$$ Mega Millions contract.

The cap is jacked.

CD and Parsons have to get paid.

If Dak could win playoff games, then maybe.

Lance trade + Dak playoff losses + jacked up salary cap = new QB.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
I just don’t understand why they can’t use his athleticism. Defenses are geared to stop Dak. I remember when the Ravens finally benched Flacco for Lamar and went on a playoff run because teams were not ready for Lamar’s running. The one positive thing about Lance I hear from camp is he is a supreme athlete. By the way Lamar was more limited as a passer his first year then Lance is now.
He's not as good of an athlete as you're making him out to be. He can't beat LBs to the edge so he doesn't have value as a runner