OC with 1st, 4th & 8th Ranked Offense

Cowboys0988

Reaction score
in his first and only 3 seasons.........and fans couldn't wait to run him out of town. I know 34 year old successful OC's grow on trees, but this is nutty.. Before this season, PFF ranked Moore the 2nd best play caller in the NFL behind Reid in Kansas City, maybe thats a bit high, but is it? Hes 34 and has a lot of growing and learning to do, while already having a top 10 offense in every one his first 3 years on the job.. And fans literally couldn't get rid of him fast enough.

Reading the Chargers forums, they are all stoked about Moore coming over, and they should be. How many years will it take for Moore working with Herbert, a Legit Franchise QB, to get the Chargers offense playing like a top 5 unit in the NFL? 1 or 2 seasons?

I guess its easier to blame a coach than it is to blame a QB that you're stuck with. Running Moore out of town was not a logical move. Only a team like the Cowboys would fire a young talented OC with the offensive rankings he designed and called. Coaching for 3 years..3 straight top 10 rankings.. "Yeah, He Sucks!, Fire Him!!... We need a Real OC for Dak."

Lets see what Big Mike can do, which is a pretty nice consolation prize imo. If Dak leads the NFL in picks again, I'm sure it will be Mikes fault too.

BoysfanfromCanada

Reaction score
Because he's a play caller, but has no base system to fall back on when things go bad. He just relies on a better play to get them out of a funk. I feel like someone from the Reid or Shanahan trees will offer a good base they can fall back on when things aren't going well. SF is able to adapt to losing QBs because their base is so good. We surprisingly did well when Dak went out, so I do give Moore and McCarthy credit there, but they also simplified the offense for Rush. A similar gameplan for Dak would have helped him I believe but Moore decided to go a different route.

And lets not act like this team doesn't have talent. There are lots of good recievers, lineman and Dak is a top 15 QB. Plus, until this year 6 games vs the NFC east allowed us to pour on the points

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
We are past evaluating this group in the regular season. Why is it so hard for some members of this board to understand this. If we had lost to the 49ers but looked significantly better than last year....maybe a change could have been avoided. But what was in it for us to run this back?

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of losing Moore either, but something had to change. Two of the last three offensive performances were embarrassingly bad, and the rest of the year while good overall was hot and cold. It's clear the Cowboys didn't want to move on from the Head coach and it's extremely difficult to move on from the QB. Only time will tell if this helps the offense and helps this team advance in the playoffs, but Jerry has basically positioned himself to know he needs to blow the whole thing up if this team starts going backwards in 2023.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
12, 31, 17. In 3 playoff games, Moore's offense scored 17 or less 2 times.

Regardless, I think this is win-win. Either the reason for the simplistic offense was Moore, in which case the team is going to look even better or the reason has always been Dak, in which case Dak is going to be exposed and the team starts seriously considering moving on.

Edit add: This is what SF gave up in the playoffs the last two years - 31, 23, 20, 17, 12, 10
Its not like no one has been scoring on SF.

shabazz

Reaction score

Kellen Moore would be solid as Chargers offensive coordinator​

Kellen Moore served as the Cowboys offensive coordinator from 2019 to 2022 and in that time, Dallas had a top offense several times. Whenever Dallas was not dealing with injuries at the quarterback position they were one of the most dangerous offensive teams in the league. In 2021, Dallas ranked first in total points scored and total yards.

Moore accomplished this with Dak Prescott at quarterback. Prescott is a solid quarterback but he is not even on the same level as Justin Herbert. Prescott is a slightly better Kirk Cousins. Herbert is one of the few elite quarterbacks in the league.

That is not to say that Moore was perfect as a play-caller and the offense would have to be tweaked for what the Chargers have on the offensive side of the ball. But he would certainly be better than Lombardi and has the play-calling experience that most other candidates do not have.

Dallas moving on from Moore is an interesting decision as it seems to be a "sink or swim" move towards McCarthy by Jerry Jones. It is no secret that Sean Payton may want that Cowboys job and perhaps this is a way for Jones to see if McCarthy really has it or if he can fire him to bring in Payton

https://boltbeat.com/posts/chargers-offensive-coordinator-kellen-more-cowboys-mistake

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I give complete credit to @Reality for this:

I have had some issues with Moore's playcalling for a while such as ..
  • the constant comeback routes, especially when playing against zone defenses.
  • the short of the line-to-go throws on third downs.
  • the slow developing out routes.
  • the quick wide out throws without any misdirection or attempt to hide the play.
  • the lack of attacking downfield, especially early in the game to keep the safeties honest.
  • the lack of attacking the middle of the field.
  • the badly designed trick plays.
  • the trick plays called when there is no reason to call them.
  • the lack of misdirection plays to keep the defense honest and guessing.
  • giving the quarterback too much control over audibles when it's clear he's not great at it.
JMO but there are more @Reality could have come up with. That's the tip of the iceberg. All the regular season scoring and rankings are nice, but to score 12 points and lose in a game you thought you were going to win....NOT GOOD.

Jayinem

Reaction score
The only bright spot for me is hopefully there will be no one to blame but Dak if he fails next season. But this board and Jerry will find a way.

Ken

Reaction score
in his first and only 3 seasons.........and fans couldn't wait to run him out of town. I know 34 year old successful OC's grow on trees, but this is nutty.. Before this season, PFF ranked Moore the 2nd best play caller in the NFL behind Reid in Kansas City, maybe thats a bit high, but is it? Hes 34 and has a lot of growing and learning to do, while already having a top 10 offense in every one his first 3 years on the job.. And fans literally couldn't get rid of him fast enough.

Reading the Chargers forums, they are all stoked about Moore coming over, and they should be. How many years will it take for Moore working with Herbert, a Legit Franchise QB, to get the Chargers offense playing like a top 5 unit in the NFL? 1 or 2 seasons?

I guess its easier to blame a coach than it is to blame a QB that you're stuck with. Running Moore out of town was not a logical move. Only a team like the Cowboys would fire a young talented OC with the offensive rankings he designed and called. Coaching for 3 years..3 straight top 10 rankings.. "Yeah, He Sucks!, Fire Him!!... We need a Real OC for Dak."

Lets see what Big Mike can do, which is a pretty nice consolation prize imo. If Dak leads the NFL in picks again, I'm sure it will be Mikes fault too.
I mean...an awful lot to write to blame it all on the qb bud.

There is more to an offense than the qb, especially when the guy you are trying to blame was the trigger man of that offense.

You do you though.

Ken

Reaction score

Kellen Moore served as the Cowboys offensive coordinator from 2019 to 2022 and in that time, Dallas had a top offense several times. Whenever Dallas was not dealing with injuries at the quarterback position they were one of the most dangerous offensive teams in the league. In 2021, Dallas ranked first in total points scored and total yards.

Moore accomplished this with Dak Prescott at quarterback. Prescott is a solid quarterback but he is not even on the same level as Justin Herbert. Prescott is a slightly better Kirk Cousins. Herbert is one of the few elite quarterbacks in the league.

That is not to say that Moore was perfect as a play-caller and the offense would have to be tweaked for what the Chargers have on the offensive side of the ball. But he would certainly be better than Lombardi and has the play-calling experience that most other candidates do not have.

Dallas moving on from Moore is an interesting decision as it seems to be a "sink or swim" move towards McCarthy by Jerry Jones. It is no secret that Sean Payton may want that Cowboys job and perhaps this is a way for Jones to see if McCarthy really has it or if he can fire him to bring in Payton

https://boltbeat.com/posts/chargers-offensive-coordinator-kellen-more-cowboys-mistake
"Not even on the same level"

Lol.

This viewpoint is so prevalent and a joke. Sorry...still waiting for "Mr. Next Level" to not blow a playoff game with a 27 point lead.

cowboys5xsbs

Reaction score
And Jason Garret has a ton of high powered offenses and it was all smoke and mirrors. That's the Garret offense it looks amazing but when push comes to shove its fools gold.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Moore tried to turn Dak into something that he isn't....he's better off in SD and we're better off without him...win, win.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score

What has Herbert accomplished that Dak hasn't?

Staubacher

Reaction score
"Not even on the same level"

Lol.

This viewpoint is so prevalent and a joke. Sorry...still waiting for "Mr. Next Level" to not blow a playoff game with a 27 point lead.
There isn't a GM in the NFL who would take Dak over Herbert. Not one. Even our drunk billionaire would switch them up if he could.