Offense better than you think

black label

Reaction score
Lol. Such pathetic comments on several threads. For the past 2 weeks, y'all were saying Garrett, Dak and this team could not beat such high powered teams like the iggles and falcons. Now that the Cowboys destroyed them, here comes more "let's see what they do in 10 days against the Saints?"

Always excuses, instead of accepting, crediting, jumping on board and supporting. :facepalm:
because we are 5-5 and most of us know the hell that is coming

CCBoy

Reaction score
In case you missed it, there are two key components to "offense", not one.

"Your main goal" is scoring.

So yeah, because the defense is great, that doesn't make "the offense better". Work on figuring that out.

Woa Nellie, the defense is maintaining a per game average of 19 points.

1 Baltimore 3000 300.0 2054 205.4 946 94.6 181 18.1
2 Buffalo 3022 302.2 2024 202.4 998 99.8 251 25.1
3 Chicago 3144 314.4 2366 236.6 778 77.8 195 19.5
4 Jacksonville 3195 319.5 2102 210.2 1093 109.3 219 21.9
5 Minnesota 3208 320.8 2260 226.0 948 94.8 229 22.9
6 Pittsburgh 3268 326.8 2272 227.2 996 99.6 225 22.5
7 Houston 3305 330.5 2345 234.5 960 96.0 205 20.5
8 Dallas 3311 331.1 2361 236.1 950 95.0 190 19.0

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/position/defense

By the way, my stats concerning the totals in the nfl only for weeks 10 and 11 were provided by Brad Sham on radio during the Cowboys Game telecast...

For the season, Dallas is averaging 20.3 points per game

BulletBob

The Godfather
Reaction score
Regardless of stats, my personal impression is that the offense has gone from God-awful to trending toward average (the addition of Cooper and the shoulders of Zeke being the primary catalysts).

The defense has gone from very good to borderline dominant (thanks to Vander Esch, Lawrence, and B Jones).

If we continue to trend this way, some might say we are getting hot at the right time. And you can win a lot with a dominant defense and average offense.

Unfortunately, the team's wild inconsistency earlier in the season give me no confidence that the trend will continue.

I guess we'll find out in 2 days.

Happy Thanksgiving!

robjay04

Reaction score
I liked your post until you insulted HS coordinators. I don't know where you are from, but in Texas HS coaches are pretty dang good.

Point is a pro offense should be more creative and less predictable than a HS offense. The inconsistency of our playcalling is a bigger issue than any of the players.

CCBoy

Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst..._NET_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-n=1

13uchl.jpg

Quicksdraw...that's a yearly total again, stud.:popcorn:

CCBoy

Reaction score
Point is a pro offense should be more creative and less predictable than a HS offense. The inconsistency of our playcalling is a bigger issue than any of the players.

Wait a second...:muttley:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don't get defensive! There are a few in here that would rather be losing or continue to criticize and Dak and Garrett. I'm guilty of criticizing Garrett.

I'm happy with these wins, but that doesn't require me to mistakenly think that everything is fixed now. And I'm also not sure that if these few wins results in nothing but an extension for Dak and more years of Jason Garrett that they're not in the best interests of this team long term.

We can go back to last year, when I was saying the same thing. All "9-7" did was buy us another year of this. Disappointing results, frustration, and trying to scratch and claw just to make the playoffs. While contract sales get a year closer to expiring and everyone gets a year older.

I'll reiterate for those that refuse to understand it (not you) I'm happy with these two wins, but it doesn't mean anything is "better" than it really is.

All I'm saying is there are a lot of fans that watch the games and don't get wrapped up in it day to day. Those people aren't on the Zone, but they'll be watching on Thursday.

So if they're not here, why do they matter to this discussion? Not getting defensive, just not following the logic here?

:huh:

CCBoy

Reaction score
Don't get defensive! There are a few in here that would rather be losing or continue to criticize Dak and Garrett. I'm guilty of criticizing Garrett. All I'm saying is there are a lot of fans that watch the games and don't get wrapped up in it day to day. Those people aren't on the Zone, but they'll be watching on Thursday.

I was waiting at the dealership having my oil changed...service policy, and struck up a conversation with a gentleman, my senior, yea...those do exist. He was a Washington fan...and we talked football, and even went into a discussion of big band jazz. Just think of that?:)

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lol....I get it, but NFL teams like the Rams are using offenses that we have been using Texas HS football for years. I actually think the NFL will eventually go back to more ball control. Protects the defense and extends the life of their QB.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Woa Nellie, the defense is maintaining a per game average of 19 points.

1 Baltimore 3000 300.0 2054 205.4 946 94.6 181 18.1
2 Buffalo 3022 302.2 2024 202.4 998 99.8 251 25.1
3 Chicago 3144 314.4 2366 236.6 778 77.8 195 19.5
4 Jacksonville 3195 319.5 2102 210.2 1093 109.3 219 21.9
5 Minnesota 3208 320.8 2260 226.0 948 94.8 229 22.9
6 Pittsburgh 3268 326.8 2272 227.2 996 99.6 225 22.5
7 Houston 3305 330.5 2345 234.5 960 96.0 205 20.5
8 Dallas 3311 331.1 2361 236.1 950 95.0 190 19.0

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/position/defense

So we reach for defensive stats in an offensive discussion? Is this obvious to everyone else or just me?

By the way, my stats concerning the totals in the nfl only for weeks 10 and 11 were provided by Brad Sham on radio during the Cowboys Game telecast...

So none then? OK.

For the season, Dallas is averaging 20.3 points per game

Good for 25th in the league.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...nference=ALL&d-447263-s=TOTAL_POINTS_GAME_AVG

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was waiting at the dealership having my oil changed...service policy, and struck up a conversation with a gentleman, my senior, yea...those do exist. He was a Washington fan...and we talked football, and even went into a discussion of big band jazz. Just think of that?:)

You're a good guy CC, and certainly a good Dad. Much respect to you. You just sometimes get irrational when your fandom kicks into overdrive.

;)

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
It had NOTHING to do with the defense and let's just be blunt here...if not for the defense this team would be nowhere near .500 at this point.

Exactly right. You run this offense when you have a stout defense.

It may seem contradictory, but I was just making the point that we can’t judge an offense based on how many passing yards they have or even points scored. This style of offense is designed to hold time of possession. It’s not about maximizing points but maximizing efficiency and keeping the opposing offense off the field.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Regardless of stats, my personal impression is that the offense has gone from God-awful to trending toward average (the addition of Cooper and the shoulders of Zeke being the primary catalysts).

The defense has gone from very good to borderline dominant (thanks to Vander Esch, Lawrence, and B Jones).

If we continue to trend this way, some might say we are getting hot at the right time. And you can win a lot with a dominant defense and average offense.

Unfortunately, the team's wild inconsistency earlier in the season give me no confidence that the trend will continue.

I guess we'll find out in 2 days.

Happy Thanksgiving!

This is very well said, and very much in line with the way that I feel as well. The Cooper addition has helped, as have the changes on the offensive line. But there's is much work still to be done before this team can compete with the best.

And the red zone issues continue to be a concern.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Exactly right. You run this offense when you have a stout defense.

It may seem contradictory, but I was just making the point that we can’t judge an offense based on how many passing yards they have or even points scored. This style of offense is designed to hold time of possession. It’s not about maximizing points but maximizing efficiency and keeping the opposing offense off the field.

This offense isn't by design. Nobody is designing a passing offense to be this inept.

CCBoy

Reaction score
You're a good guy CC, and certainly a good Dad. Much respect to you. You just sometimes get irrational when your fandom kicks into overdrive.

;)

:)Thanks for the compliments...there are socially redeemable features to yourself. :)

As to discussions, I include a positive view point, and don't apologize for that tendency. I work very hard and improving and expanding on that element. Positive and belief...rule. If not, adversity has to be overcome with even more difficulty. It's tough enough already.

As to handling the pressure, don't worry, the underwear beneath the pants is solidly in tact. Even if they might appear to be crusty old boxers.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm happy with these wins, but that doesn't require me to mistakenly think that everything is fixed now. And I'm also not sure that if these few wins results in nothing but an extension for Dak and more years of Jason Garrett that they're not in the best interests of this team long term.

We can go back to last year, when I was saying the same thing. All "9-7" did was buy us another year of this. Disappointing results, frustration, and trying to scratch and claw just to make the playoffs. While contract sales get a year closer to expiring and everyone gets a year older.

I'll reiterate for those that refuse to understand it (not you) I'm happy with these two wins, but it doesn't mean anything is "better" than it really is.

So if they're not here, why do they matter to this discussion? Not getting defensive, just not following the logic here?

:huh:
No logic, just conversation. I was just saying, it would be nice the just enjoy the game. My wife has watched every game with me since 1991 and she watched me coach about 250 games. She would be happy or mad for a bit after the game and then, poof! Just like that she would move on. Come game time she was into it again. We went to all the longhorn home games this year, she's cheering and booing and having a ball, and I'm just sitting there criticizing as if I were breaking down film. I bet she enjoyed the games more than I did. But, at the end of the day, to each their own.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
This offense isn't by design. Nobody is designing a passing offense to be this inept.

I disagree. It’s totally by design. Except that those field goals are supposed to be touchdowns.

By design this offense is supposed to have multiple 12 play, 8 to 10 minute drives that eat the clock and result in touchdowns. They’d ideally score 24 to 27 points a game and dominate time of possession 2:1.