Offense sustainable?

Galian Beast

Reaction score
A QB since the 60's needs to be able to pass the ball in this league. A prolific running QB has never won a super bowl.

Steve Young and John Elway are the most successful running QBs, but clearly they were accomplished passers as well. Young coming in at 35th all time in yards and Elway coming in at 9th.

To put them into perspective, Romo ranked 32nd all time in passing yards.

Steve McNair - 44th
Randall Cunningham - 46th
Cam Newton - 68th
Michael Vick - 92nd

Dak isn't significantly better at passing than any of these guys except for Vick, but they're all better at running the ball than he was.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Quality Coaching is HUGE in the NFL. Coaching is important in every sport, but in the NFL, look at the consistently good teams who win in the playoffs. Coaching matters.

Look at the rams. They drafted Goff in 2016 and as a rookie under the mediocre Jeff Fisher was a bust. Last year, under Sean McVey, suddenly Goff and the rams are arguably the best team in the NFC. Contrast that with Garrett, who in 206 had a 13-3 team full of upward young talent, and a season and a quarter later are struggling to stay relevant.

Great coaches lead their teams to overcome injuries, adjustments that opponents make to stop them, and through all adversities that afflict ALL NFL teams.

Too early to tell what this year is going to be for the Cowboys, but after nearly 8 seasons of Garrett, and only one playoff win, it’s hard to look at the past and have much hope for the future. Our only hope is that Garrett is better and continues to learn.

The only way to know whether he has or not is to see some better coaching- that translates into a winning streak and eventually some success in the playoffs.

Zman5

Reaction score
it kills me that I think that we are a good QB from being legit superbowl contenders.

Really? We had Romo and we couldn't even get to the Championship game. We had better receivers and as good of defense in 2007 and 2008 and we didn't even win a playoff game. Until we get better HC and OC , we are not going anywhere.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
If the defense takes away Dak on zone reads he won't have as many runs or yards. Most fans here will blame that on our coaching. Gotta love stat watching fans.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I agree. The thing is, why hasn't it been fixed already? It's a glaring problem.
Surely, the coaches and the player have noticed it on film by now.

I'll bet if Dak's coordination matched his intensity, his feet wouldn't be a problem. His mechanics may not be the most graceful thing about him but he'll make up for it with his work ethic. I'm hoping time, effort, conditioning and development might ultimately produce improved performance. We'll see. ;)

Last edited:

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The only question is can Linehan check his ego at the door for the remainder of the season.

Brax

Reaction score
I agree. The thing is, why hasn't it been fixed already? It's a glaring problem.
Surely, the coaches and the player have noticed it on film by now.
It's not a simple as saying change, you do it wrong most of your life its very hard to change and then it's not natural. if you have to think about it you will not do it when pressure is on, you revert to your old ways. Dak isn't a naturally accurate passer,he is a play ground passer, it is what it is. Unfortunate Joe Capp and Bobby Douglas don't cut it in today's NFL, funny how finding a great QB has always been so hard.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If we can convince other teams to use the Jags defensive blueprint, we might be able to run the table. But, don't expect no blitzing and the middle of the field to be wide open every week.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
Our strength is running behind our run blocking. We Could have 3-4 players executing rpos and runs and passes from out of the backfield in tandems on occasion to break up the monotony and playcall to our strengths.

Unfortunately this coaching staff is only gonna target Zeke like he's gonna score 3 TDS a game and one player can't consistently produce enough yards or Points every week by themselves to carry the team.

As our offense stands now Zeke and Dak are both gonna have to run every week, not only to equate for yards but more importantly to Score Points .

Most of the teams running rpos run more 2 back formations in a triple threat backfield. If our strength is run blocking I don't understand why we don't utilize more rbs in tandems versus the same old vanilla 1 back set w an occasional fb.

Put two rbs in the backfield more often and run more rpos with Dak and spread the ball around running and passing to more players and we'll consistently score more points then what zeke can do alone

Batman1980

Reaction score
Just lost Tavon Austin for the season. Time to get on the phones and trade for at least 1 WR.