Offense sustainable?

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I suppose if we don’t lose to many more games before this team gets itself together then yeah it’s possible, I just don’t see it though. We got a lot of wrinkles left to work through..

The Rams would likely put up 30 plus on us...
Every team has wrinkles, that's kind of my point.

The Rams have played 1 team who can pressure the passer with 4, and they scored only 23. Their entire offense is built around creating matchups, but that's a lot harder to do when you face 7-man coverages and can't get to your 3rd and 4th read on every play.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Every team has wrinkles, that's kind of my point.

The Rams have played 1 team who can pressure the passer with 4, and they scored only 23. Their entire offense is built around creating matchups, but that's a lot harder to do when you face 7-man coverages and can't get to your 3rd and 4th read on every play.

I appreciate your optimism although we haven’t played any offensive powerhouses yet, it remains to be seen.. We have pass rushers no doubt, safety is suspect..

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
It's good to have Dak running more as that is his strength, but what people need to realize is that teams will adjust to that as well.

Best case scenario teams start to spy Dak and maybe that helps the running and passing game a bit, worst case scenario this play style gets Dak hurt.

In reality, a QB, especially in 2018, needs to be able to pass the ball in this league.
:hammer:

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
John Gruden won a Super Bowl
With Tony Dungy team and he played against the team he built.

If you are trying to say Gruden is a terrible coach cause of the first 6 games this season then that is silly.

rags747

Reaction score
I think it is sustainable but a few things need to happen imo.

(1) Dak needs to improve.

Dak needs to become a better pocket passer and i'm fully convinced now that he will and can. The disappointing thing to me is his foot mechanics still seem horrible when even slightly pressured which makes his accuracy suffer. Hard to understand how this is not fixed after two and a half seasons. That alone will help alot.

His reads need to improve but that will happen with time and exposure. As much as Dak gets blasted here, folks seem to not realize Romo had the same problems the first half of his career. He missed reads, took too long in the pocket. Same stuff. Romo was more accurate and had better footwork but tried to look for the big play too much (nearly never taking the check-down underneath stuff), which forced alot of unneeded mistakes (often too much to overcome)

Dak on the other hand has taken the underneath stuff alot, but until recently has failed to push the ball down the field with certain looks (outside his first year). The good thing is,a he has been as of late, and largely accurately. If that continues, it's a good thing because that will help him continue not giving the ball up (which alone puts us in good position to win ganes), while at the same time not allowing the defense to cheat up..

(2) The O-line needs to have consistency.

(3) Someone is going to have to step up on the outside at wide receiver if they start taking away Beasely again. My money is on Gallup from what I have observed. Not sure if he is "ready", but he appears to me to be the only guy that can win contested balls, or Butler if he gets in the field.

(4) Yes I think they need to keep utilizing Dak's legs, but regardless.. that (1) thing still needs to happen. Defenses are at times going to take that away as well.
Romo NEVER EVER had the issues that Dak has.

rags747

Reaction score
Quality Coaching is HUGE in the NFL. Coaching is important in every sport, but in the NFL, look at the consistently good teams who win in the playoffs. Coaching matters.

Look at the rams. They drafted Goff in 2016 and as a rookie under the mediocre Jeff Fisher was a bust. Last year, under Sean McVey, suddenly Goff and the rams are arguably the best team in the NFC. Contrast that with Garrett, who in 206 had a 13-3 team full of upward young talent, and a season and a quarter later are struggling to stay relevant.

Great coaches lead their teams to overcome injuries, adjustments that opponents make to stop them, and through all adversities that afflict ALL NFL teams.

Too early to tell what this year is going to be for the Cowboys, but after nearly 8 seasons of Garrett, and only one playoff win, it’s hard to look at the past and have much hope for the future. Our only hope is that Garrett is better and continues to learn.

The only way to know whether he has or not is to see some better coaching- that translates into a winning streak and eventually some success in the playoffs.
Most rookie qb's are busts, Goff was the 1st player taken, you would think that he had plenty of talent.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With respect.

Young rushed for over 4200 yards and scored 43 rushing tds.
Also, his signature play was a 49 yard td run against the Vikings
in a playoff game.

He ran for nearly 900 yards and 9 tds in two years with the USFL
and also finished his senior year at BYU with 544 yards rushing.

He's at least on the fringe of prolific... lol

He was a great runner, no doubt, but in fairness, he wasn't running that much by the time he won the Super Bowl in 1994. He only averaged 18.1 rushing yards per game that season.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
Zeke and Dak won't be able to duplicate 1 td each and 185 yards running Every Week.

Come elimination time when the teams that average 35 points a game come to town with their rb tandems and slot wrs and deep threat tes and we have to drive 80 yards on each drive with only Zeke and Dak producing by running out of the backfield.

First What is swaim gonna score? Maybe 2 TDS a year. He can't even move the chains mediocre. Beasely can score but hes just a possession receiver. So how are those 2 guys gonna score 35 points. Zeke is gonna get 3 and Dak is gonna get 2 TDS?

I wish we'd pass out of a 2 rb formation w multiple backs using rpos. The only way this team is going anywhere if someone else emerges as a consistent scorer. Swaim Our starting te can't score a TD to save his life. Why is he such an integral part of our offense if he's probably the least most likely to score.
Why do all the other skilled players have to rotate around him when they all have way more scoring abilities then what he does.

Do you think if Gronk was putting up these losing passing stats and avg Blocking Belichek would let him play every snap?

Or any coach in the NFL besides Garrett!!! Offensively We're the laughing stock of the League. Anybody that wants to see somebody besides Zeke, Dak, or Beasely score or touch the ball might have to watch several games.

We had Dez in his prime, a better special teams, and a rushing champ and couldn't win beans with a te lead scheme. Lol.

It's because our tes couldnt make any passing plays when it mattered. We'd send them out there like they were gonna Morph into Gronk and make a big play but they never did. They'd catch their 5 yard passes on 3rd and 12 and that's the story of our Great Success of the everydown te in the modern NFL. Dinking and dunking to every down tes instead of slot wrs and rbs who can score

Last edited:

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
We don't have enough consistent scoring weapons at te, wr, or rb. It's pretty much Zeke Dak and Beasely and we need more like 5 skilled players that can contribute. Not just 3. We do this every year with the same results.

We have a te led offense but none of them has emerged as a go to receiver when we need a big play or points. Our starting te is just a checkdown receiver with no real receiving skills to lead an offense and score.

Washington isn't a great team but can Dak Zeke and Beasely reproduce their production from last week after coming off an exceptional stats week. It's highly improbable

We definitely need a new scoring threat to emerge this week

IceBowler

Reaction score
Dan Mullen "sustained" it at Mississippi for 3 seasons.
Of course there were a few truck drivers and accountants on the field then and not everyone ran 4.5s ...

Run him - he's a big guy and knows how to protect himself.

IceBowler

Reaction score
He can't avoid being a pocket passer much of the time. It goes with the territory. Nobody is rolling out their QB the majority of passing plays, or consistently using a floating pocket.

Point well taken - however, just because "nobody does it" doesn't mean we shouldn't. In fact, one could surmise that's an excellent reason to do just that ...

RoboQB

Reaction score
He was a great runner, no doubt, but in fairness, he wasn't running that much by the time he won the Super Bowl in 1994. He only averaged 18.1 rushing yards per game that season.

Yeah, by 1994, he had been a pro quarterback for 10 years. He's on every list of top rushing QBs, always
in the top 5. Agree to disagree, I guess.

There aren't many guys that did it for a long time. Randall Cunningham and Michael Vick are always
on top of such lists. Young is actually ahead of Fran Tarkenton. The young bucks might need to Google him... lol

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
(1)Dak needs to become a better pocket passer and i'm fully convinced now that he will and can. The disappointing thing to me is his foot mechanics still seem horrible when even slightly pressured which makes his accuracy suffer. Hard to understand how this is not fixed after two and a half seasons. That alone will help alot.

(2) The O-line needs to have consistency.

(3) Someone is going to have to step up on the outside at wide receiver if they start taking away Beasely again. My money is on Gallup from what I have observed. Not sure if he is "ready", but he appears to me to be the only guy that can win contested balls, or Butler if he gets in the field.
Thorough and well-thought out post.

I would add that it isn't just his footwork and accuracy, but that he doesn't see the field nearly as well in games when he's under consistent pressure. I think the reason his mechanics haven't been fixed after two and a half seasons is that it's not really a physical issue, but a psychological one. He becomes overly concerned (obsessed?) with the pass rush in games when he's under consistent pressure, to the point that it affects even the plays when he has a clean pocket.

ATTEMPTS FROM CLEAN POCKET (2017)
≥ 40% pressure games only
Winston 120.4
Brady 117.7
Ryan 117.5
Carr 117.5
Wentz 113.5
Cousins 113.4
Wilson 107.8
Stafford 106.1
Rivers 106.1
Rthlsbrgr 104.6
Keenum 102.3
Smith 94.5
Goff 90.2

Prescott 74.0

ATTEMPTS WHEN PRESSURED (2017)
< 40% pressure games only
Brady 119.3
Cousins 98.4
Prescott 94.6
Keenum 89.8
Winston 81.4

He's actually been very good on plays when pressured, as long as the play didn't happen in a game in which he was pressured consistently. The above numbers are for 2017 only, but over his career he is not as good from a clean pocket in 40% + pressure games as he is when pressured in < 40% pressure games. And that's very, very unusual. The average QB is about 30 rating points better.

That tells you (1) how good he is when pressured on a particular play, unless (2) he's being pressured consistently in the game. Then he tends to respond to every play as if there's pressure even when there isn't.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Here's the two-year sample. I'll try to add 2018 when we get 8 games in.

The first list is the Top 10 QB at not letting what happened on the other plays get to them. On the second list are the ones who were the best on plays when pressured -- in games in which they weren't pressured an inordinate amount of times (about 33% is normal). Note how much lower everybody's rating is in the second list. All except Dak's.

ATTEMPTS FROM CLEAN POCKET (2016-17)

≥ 40% pressure games only
Rthlisbrgr 128.4
Brady 116.2
Cousins 114.6
Wentz 105.4
Ryan 104.1
Rodgers 104.0
Winston 103.9
Rivers 101.0
Stafford 100.4
Keenum 95.4

Prescott 74.5

ATTEMPTS WHEN PRESSURED (2016-17)
< 40% pressure games only
Brady 95.0
Prescott 90.6
Cousins 83.4
Rodgers 81.4
Stafford 80.3
Ryan 77.5
Keenum 74.2
Winston 72.7
Goff 69.6
Manning 66.0

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, by 1994, he had been a pro quarterback for 10 years. He's on every list of top rushing QBs, always
in the top 5. Agree to disagree, I guess.

There aren't many guys that did it for a long time. Randall Cunningham and Michael Vick are always
on top of such lists. Young is actually ahead of Fran Tarkenton. The young bucks might need to Google him... lol

All true, but I think the intent of the question was to ask about QBs who were prolific runners at the time they won the Super Bowl.