Offense sustainable?

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
I think our coaching staff tends to play scared. Its happened in the past and its happened in all 3 of our losses this year. When we are ultra conservative you see that dak isn't into the flow of the game as well.

When were aggressive dak is not only into the game but making plays. You can see it. Think about it from a logic standpoint, you make a couple plays early and then your not as afraid to take chances later.If your going to take more chances this is the year to do it, you have a solid defense that can back you up if you do make mistakes.

Is the offense sustainable? Possibly. Will the coaches allow it to continue on a consistent basis who knows?

pancakeman

Reaction score
A QB since the 60's needs to be able to pass the ball in this league. A prolific running QB has never won a super bowl.
Steve Young did in XXIX. Even led his team in rushing yards in the game. (Of course he was quite "able to pass the ball" too.)

RoboQB

Reaction score
He was not a prolific running QB.

With respect.

Young rushed for over 4200 yards and scored 43 rushing tds.
Also, his signature play was a 49 yard td run against the Vikings
in a playoff game.

He ran for nearly 900 yards and 9 tds in two years with the USFL
and also finished his senior year at BYU with 544 yards rushing.

He's at least on the fringe of prolific... lol

kskboys

Reaction score
With respect.

Young rushed for over 4200 yards and scored 43 rushing tds.
Also, his signature play was a 49 yard td run against the Vikings
in a playoff game.

He ran for nearly 900 yards and 9 tds in two years with the USFL
and also finished his senior year at BYU with 544 yards rushing.

He's at least on the fringe of prolific... lol
Fringe? Maybe.

By the time Young finally curbed his running the football, it was 1994. He rushed for 291 yds that year. If he was a running QB earlier in his career, by 94 he wasn't. 58 carries that year equates to 3.1 carries per game. Hardly prolific.

Young's highest rushing total was 1992 when he was 76/537. That is 4.75 carries/game.

Is fewer than 5 carries per game considered prolific? Doesn't sound all that prolific to me.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Fringe? Maybe.

By the time Young finally curbed his running the football, it was 1994. He rushed for 291 yds that year. If he was a running QB earlier in his career, by 94 he wasn't. 58 carries that year equates to 3.1 carries per game. Hardly prolific.

Young's highest rushing total was 1992 when he was 76/537. That is 4.75 carries/game.

Is fewer than 5 carries per game considered prolific? Doesn't sound all that prolific to me.

Fair enough, ksk. I'll take the fringe as a win... lol.

Definitely a different era. I must admit I'm not aware of the current average carries per game
for QBs in the last 2-3 years. I'm guessing Cam Newton would be far ahead in that category.

Az Lurker

The Lurker
Reaction score
If the defense takes away Dak on zone reads he won't have as many runs or yards. Most fans here will blame that on our coaching. Gotta love stat watching fans.

If the DE keys on Dak on zone reads it means Zeke will be eating them alive play after play.

catiii

Reaction score
A QB since the 60's needs to be able to pass the ball in this league. A prolific running QB has never won a super bowl.
I beg to differ. Roger Staubach. Overall, Staubach finished his 11 NFL seasons with 1,685 completions for 22,700 yards and 153 touchdowns, with 109 interceptions. He also gained 2,264 rushing yards and scored 21 touchdowns on 410 carries

losersgetcute

Reaction score
It's good to have Dak running more as that is his strength, but what people need to realize is that teams will adjust to that as well.

Best case scenario teams start to spy Dak and maybe that helps the running and passing game a bit, worst case scenario this play style gets Dak hurt.

In reality, a QB, especially in 2018, needs to be able to pass the ball in this league.
I think teams will try to take the run away from Dak and find out he actually throws quite well when on the move. I'm glad the game plan changed last weekend where he's not a sitting duck like Romo was for years.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Prolly not... They will have Dak trying to be a pocket passer again next week...
This team seriously needs some new coaches...

He can't avoid being a pocket passer much of the time. It goes with the territory. Nobody is rolling out their QB the majority of passing plays, or consistently using a floating pocket.

catiii

Reaction score
THE MANAGEMENT is not sustainable - the players definitely are! It's really never been about the players. They can do fine as shown last week. It's the bipolar inconsistent coaching and game plans that always will doom this team. "Oh let's go back to vanilla and force Dak NOT to run or roll out this week and try to FOOL THEM!! Aren't we clever. How we doin guys!" _ clapping clown quotes

morasp

Reaction score
Of course teams will adjust but it still adds another dimension to our offense other than Zeke that they have to defend. At the very least, when we run read option defenses can't just crash down on Zeke like they have been doing. The Eagles won a Super Bowl last year with the RPO. I'm sure teams adjusted on defense but Nick Foles was very good at it. And as far as the playoffs are concerned it's the teams that live and die by the pass that have trouble when December rolls around I'd rather be more balanced. Troy Aikman's career average passing yards per game was 199.6.

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score
I beg to differ. Roger Staubach. Overall, Staubach finished his 11 NFL seasons with 1,685 completions for 22,700 yards and 153 touchdowns, with 109 interceptions. He also gained 2,264 rushing yards and scored 21 touchdowns on 410 carries
Staubach's top year running the ball was 1975 when he had 55 carries. 3.1 carries per game. I don't call running the ball 3 times/game prolific.

T-RO

Reaction score
Talent-wise, this offense is sustainable.

Coaching-wise, it remains to be seen.

Not sure about that.

How do you take a mediocre QB, weak receiving group and nobody tight ends...and score 40 points against the best defense in the league? For the Jags game at least...that was brilliant coaching.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
If we play to our strengths and continue to hit on draft picks, we might sniff a championship in a year or two...
I mean, yea. But look at the NFC right now, is there a team that the Cowboys can't beat? The Saints are a good matchup for the Cowboys because the things they like to do well on offense, we matchup well against. The Rams are a lot more difficult, but when you can line up and play man-to-man and rush 4 like we can, some of the creativity is minimized.

Offensively, the Rams are bad against the run (28th in ypa) and the Saints are bad against the past (31st in ypa), Saints run D right now is first in YPA, but they haven't played anybody who can run the ball at all, and are often playing with a lead.

The NFC just doesn't scare me one bit, if Dallas can get in the playoffs.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
It has been sustainable.

10-2 when rushing over 5 times.
5-0 when rushing over 7.

That isn't a fluke. That is sustainable.

10-3.
All 3 of the losses have come since the Atlanta game last year.
Four of those games were some of the worst games of his career (Atlanta, Carolina, Oakland, Houston).
You are also not accounting for the fact that when the team wins, they are more likely to kneel at the end of the game (happens sometimes at the half), which inflates rush attempts. For instance, the Cincinnati game in 2016, which would count as one of the wins in the 10-3. Dak ran the ball 3 times, but he also had 4 kneel downs (1 at half, 3 at the end of the game). Those 4 kneels, which resulted from the team winning, pushed the stat over the 5 time standard you are using. So, in that case you have a reverse correlation from what you are inferring.

Last edited:

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
I mean, yea. But look at the NFC right now, is there a team that the Cowboys can't beat? The Saints are a good matchup for the Cowboys because the things they like to do well on offense, we matchup well against. The Rams are a lot more difficult, but when you can line up and play man-to-man and rush 4 like we can, some of the creativity is minimized.

Offensively, the Rams are bad against the run (28th in ypa) and the Saints are bad against the past (31st in ypa), Saints run D right now is first in YPA, but they haven't played anybody who can run the ball at all, and are often playing with a lead.

The NFC just doesn't scare me one bit, if Dallas can get in the playoffs.

I suppose if we don’t lose to many more games before this team gets itself together then yeah it’s possible, I just don’t see it though. We got a lot of wrinkles left to work through..

The Rams would likely put up 30 plus on us...