Offensive Line Ratings from the Giants game...

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
If you can't figure out a -4.5 is much worse than a +2.3 then I'd have a gripe against the folks that taught you in school.

If you want more detail... then don't be a cheapskate and subscribe to their stats package.

O.K.. What were the Giants numbers on their O line for the game?

As a way to look across.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Without knowing assignments and what blocking protection/scheme has been called you can only make an educated guess. But for us fans PFF does give a little purchase. It's better than nothing. There are other sites that give a more detailed analysis of the OL play but not all teams.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Without knowing assignments and what blocking protection/scheme has been called you can only make an educated guess. But for us fans PFF does give a little purchase. It's better than nothing. There are other sites that give a more detailed analysis of the OL play but not all teams.

Football outsiders is far superior imo. They use actual statistical analysis where they correlate and normalize to present a better understanding. They also employ actual scouts and the like. If pff wants $25 then FO is a much much better value imo. I find about half of what pff does to be absolutely worthless like their coverage 'metrics.'

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Bern was a disaster. I can't believe Broaddus is still spinning for this guy. Leary will improve that was his first start. Can't wait for Waters!

Broaddus loves him some Bernadeau, so does Mickey. It's hilarious. To hear them tell it, he's never actually had a bad performance. At worst he's been "okay".

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Broaddus loves him some Bernadeau, so does Mickey. It's hilarious. To hear them tell it, he's never actually had a bad performance. At worst he's been "okay".

No they don't. Sorry but they always say that they can get by with him or that he is better than Livings. To construe that as 'loving' is disingenuous.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Football outsiders is far superior imo. They use actual statistical analysis where they correlate and normalize to present a better understanding. They also employ actual scouts and the like. If pff wants $25 then FO is a much much better value imo. I find about half of what pff does to be absolutely worthless like their coverage 'metrics.'

Their site is up and running on my computer, too. PFF has its usefulness. The analysis at Outsiders is obviously far superior even though its a bit technical at times. I find the intricacies of OL play interesting.

conner01

Reaction score
teams grade and their grade is probably better because they know exactly what was suppose to happen. no way pff can know what plays are called for every team. but since the scoring system is really the only one out there it is a good basis to form an opinion. it is somewhat subjective, but if you actually read the method they use it kinda makes sence. they don't adjust for playing against a great player or a bad player, but if you are looking at an entire season that would'nt matter so much. and like with most numbers, the bigger the set, the more acuarate averges become. any stat is somewhat objective. if a qb is behind by 30 points in the 4th qtr teams are not trying to stop every play like they would if the game was tied. there are no perfect systems to judge an oline guy by but this one is as good as any since it is ,for the most part, the same scoring system for each player

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
No they don't. Sorry but they always say that they can get by with him or that he is better than Livings. To construe that as 'loving' is disingenuous.

I know you love to argue but if you can't get the tone of my post was mostly in jest, there's nothing I can do for you.

The fact remains that they said he played okay on Sunday night and they could live with him at the position.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I know you love to argue but if you can't get the tone of my post was mostly in jest, there's nothing I can do for you.

The fact remains that they said he played okay on Sunday night and they could live with him at the position.

There is no font for tone and you are not the only one that says that exact line. It's not so much that I love to argue but rather that I do not like misleading comments.

They don't say that yet people keep saying your line. Jest or not it is not accurate.

maxdallasfan

Reaction score
I remember our OL played great against the Giants last year in game one.

The rest is history.

DC Cowboy

Reaction score
Thrilled to see Free performing well. There were one or two plays where he got knocked on his rear, but that happens to the best of them. Looking forward to seeing this line with Waters in place of Bern.

LOL there was that one play where he was set up. The DE engaged him then the LB took a running start and knocked him on his butt. Interesting defensive call.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
This is copyrighted stuff from PFF, we can't post everything. If you want deeper info, I would greatly suggest spending the $26.99 and subscribing to their site.

Are u competing with Romo for the biggest tease award or secretly working in marketing for Pfffff???

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know about you guys but I, myself, am grateful for any info posted, regardless of if I understand it, like it, hate it or what.

I completely agree. I can disagree with Winicki - and we often do - but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate his efforts and his sharing of information.

Very much appreciated, even if I may see things a bit differently.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Yeah, I don't get that at all either.

Maybe he and Broaddus are good buddies as I can find no other reason.

DallasInDC

Reaction score
From Profootballfocus.com (you can subscribe yourself for $26.99)

Smith +0.3
Leary -2.0
Frederick -0.5
Bernadau -4.5
Free +2.3

No surprises to me... I thought Free played a heck of a game.

3) How Do We Grade? Each grade given is between +2 and -2, with 0.5 increments and an average of 0. A positive intervention in the game rates a positive grading and vice-versa. Very (very) few performances draw a +/-2 rating. In fact, the distribution of non-zero grades is like this:

If the grading is in 0.5 increments, how did Smith get 0.3 and Free get 2.3? No matter how many plays or categories they graded, the average would always end in either .0 or .5.

pancakeman

Reaction score
If the grading is in 0.5 increments, how did Smith get 0.3 and Free get 2.3? No matter how many categories they graded, the average would always end in either .0 or .5.

Huh? That would be true of a sum, but not an average.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If the grading is in 0.5 increments, how did Smith get 0.3 and Free get 2.3? No matter how many categories they graded, the average would always end in either .0 or .5.

I would think when the "normalize" the grades that causes grades to end with something other than a 0 or 5.

Explanation of "Normalization"...

5) Normalization and What the Grades Mean
Once we’ve got the raw grades we could leave it there, but this would lead to a number of problems.
For example, because an offensive lineman can only be negatively graded in pass protection, the perfect score in the raw data is 0. However, what if a lineman plays half the number of passing plays of another guy and they both score 0? What allows you to understand the second has done the better job? This is where Player Participation comes in: To fully understand how a player has performed, we need to know how many plays he’s participated in and what role he performed.
So when we look at, say, a TE, we need to know how many plays he spent out in pass routes, how many times he blocked for the run and how many times he stayed in to block for the pass. To this number we then apply a normalization factor to set the AVERAGE player in that facet of the game to 0.
If, however, you look at the “By Position” tab, you will notice that not all of the averages are 0 for every season. This is because we applied the average of 0 to our first season and have retained those “normalization factors” throughout the subsequent seasons to allow a comparison of how the average performance has shifted over seasons. This demonstrates how the standard of play in the league changes through time.
Normalization gives the grades their full setting as a performance indicator for an individual over his full body of work on a per-game, per-season and per-play basis.

They also accept questions on their "Contact Us" page...
https://www.profootballfocus.com/about/contact-us/

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I remember our OL played great against the Giants last year in game one.

The rest is history.

I don't remember that at all. I remember that Murray had to create a lot of what he found out there and that we generally got by throwing quick slants all day. I don't remember a particularly dominant performance.