Offensive Line will be a factor

DuncanIso

Reaction score
The effectiveness of the OL will be a huge factor in the success of Dallas’ season.
I’m not convinced that the FO shares the same concern and as usual, thinking the OL depth is much better than it really is, so no urgency to upgrade.
The OL is in shambles; Dallas lost a HOF LT, a serviceable C, RG is showing his age and missed games last year and RT had a sub-par year, hopefully due to continued recovery from his ACL injury; moreover, the FO is considering moving their All-Pro LG to LT, which I believe would weaken the OL even more.
The back-up o-linemen have very little to no playing time; although some have played during live games, the sample size is too small to determine how effective they would be playing on a full time basis.
I’m hoping the FO will draft some offensive linemen and bring some UDFAs for tryouts. If this need is not addressed, I look for the offense to be negatively impacted this season.
I think TJ Bass is the best of the 2s.

After that…. Not so good.

Maybe Richards.

Our T projects need to step up.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I realize the group as it is today will be upgraded in some way through the draft. This unit will potentially be the weakest Offensive Line Dak has ever had to play behind

Is anyone else factoring this in to the potential performance of Dak next year. Knowing the amount of time Dak requires and how he collapses under pressure this is looking like a long season

It could potentially cut His asking price in half. Not to mention a Young Line learning benefits a young QB who has a pair of wheels. . . Just saying

It is gonna be a long season for Dak
The Cowboys were 12-5 the past 3 seasons.

They lost Tyron and Biadasz.

Tyron only played 4 games in 2022 and only 11 in 2021.

Most fans wanted an upgrade at OC over Biadasz.

Draft JPJ to start at OC, move Tyler back to LT and play Bass at LG.
- That's better than what they had in 2022 and probablly better than what they had in 2023.

StarLord

Reaction score
Yes, yes, you’re right, we’re all going to be lamenting the loss of Tyler Biadasz’s diverse “skill set”.
Serious question, do you see us getting any of them?

I follow the draft, but am not a student of it.

quickccc

Reaction score
I realize the group as it is today will be upgraded in some way through the draft. This unit will potentially be the weakest Offensive Line Dak has ever had to play behind

Is anyone else factoring this in to the potential performance of Dak next year. Knowing the amount of time Dak requires and how he collapses under pressure this is looking like a long season

It could potentially cut His asking price in half. Not to mention a Young Line learning benefits a young QB who has a pair of wheels. . . Just saying

It is gonna be a long season for Dak
- I submit that the 2020 OL unit was the weakest OL Dak has ever played behind .. ala Brandon Knight, Conner Williams, Joe Looney, Zack Martin and Terrence Steele.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/dal/lineups.htm

- I also submit that we have questions regarding the current OL coach Mike Solari - and seemingly his " reach" scheme has seen Zack Martin
have his non-usual season, imo.

- I also submit that the emphasis on getting the ball out quicker in this Tex Coast offense short game may have added the OL protection scheme and unit
more so.

- But despite questions of Solari, and the lack of run game, this OL unit did help us sustain the No.1 offense in yardage and among top in points scored
despite some issues.

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
Serious question, do you see us getting any of them?

I follow the draft, but am not a student of it.
Is the question do I see us getting a center, and perhaps that center being on the level of Biadasz?

Ton of variables playing into this one. We find ourselves in the bittersweet position of being able to select BPA if we choose. Watch P-burgh, Miami, and Philly in front of us as they may dictate if JPJ or Barton reach #24. The quandary becomes what do we do when players we didn’t expect to be there ARE. Someone will fall (other than an O-lineman) and probably at a position we could plug and play. Would you not take Byron Murphy II if he's there @ 24?

There potentially could be options in round two and three for guys that may be able to bump Hoffman from the starting position. Frazier probably doesn’t last to #56 and then you’re looking at Van Pran. To me JPJ, Barton, Frazier, and possibly Van Pran win the job day one. Other options will be available a little later like Limmer and Nourzad. Those guys may take a little time, but I believe they would give Hoffman a run for the money.

The variables I previously mentioned start with how do the Cowboys really feel about Brock Hoffman? By the way, who’s his back-up (legit, I don’t know)? How hell-bent are these guys about playing Tyler Smith at guard? With the number of selections we have, do the Cowboys have an unspoken distribution of draft selections they’re considering per position group? And so on…and so on.

My personal thought is that the Braintrust hold Hoffman in higher esteem than most fans and despite the success they experienced with Travis Frederick, they select someone other than a center in the first but address the position late in the draft. However, it would be cool if we could drop back to 31, just like we did for Frederick, and swap with the 49er’s, just like we did for Frederick, and select either Barton or JPJ.

plasticman

Reaction score
A team cannot make such drastic changes in their starting lineup on the O-line. Continuity, cohesion and consistency are the requirements for success.

The vast majority of successful playoff teams have an offensive line with a core of 3-4 players that have worked and played together for several seasons. They know what each other will do under certain circumstances so their teamwork is more crisp and effective.

The Cowboys have lost four starting O-linemen in the past three seasons. It is imperative that they replace them with long term solutions so that they can develop together. This season becomes even more challenging for the O-line when you consider their lack of familiarity with whoever becomes the major ball carrier and probably his backup as well.

It really wasn't that long ago when the Cowboys O-line was so good that two different Cowboys RB's led the league in rushing for a season in a three year span.

NotForLong

Reaction score
Maybe Jerry’s playing the long game and is using the fact that Dak will most likely have a poor season to lower his salary. Nah, who am I kidding? JJ wouldn’t have the smarts for a plan like that.
Exactly. A young OLine severely hampers Dak. It will be really interesting to see how it all pans out

We will be able to judge it by how loud His Fan Boys whine about the O Line when the season begins

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Exactly. A young OLine severely hampers Dak. It will be really interesting to see how it all pans out

We will be able to judge it by how loud His Fan Boys whine about the O Line when the season begins
that's already a built-in excuse. Fat Mike will be the other, Jerry, the defense, the offensive line, and the mean fans booing the losing choker, but I'll support him.

NotForLong

Reaction score

- That's better than what they had in 2022 and probablly better than what they had in 2023.
I am all for it. But we all know how Dak struggles without a perfect Line . . . An Offensive Line has yo gel to be effective. There will be a learning curve and It will effect Dak especially early in the season

Poor poor Dak

NotForLong

Reaction score
that's already a built-in excuse. Fat Mike will be the other, Jerry, the defense, the offensive line, and the mean fans booing the losing choker, but I'll support him.
Built in excise for the Fan Boys but we have heard them all before. It will be sink or swim for Dak and we all know how he reacts when the pressure is on

I hope Dak has a snorkel or something

NotForLong

Reaction score
- I submit that the 2020 OL unit was the weakest OL Dak has ever played behind .. ala Brandon Knight, Conner Williams, Joe Looney, Zack Martin and Terrence Steele.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/dal/lineups.htm

- I also submit that we have questions regarding the current OL coach Mike Solari - and seemingly his " reach" scheme has seen Zack Martin
have his non-usual season, imo.

- I also submit that the emphasis on getting the ball out quicker in this Tex Coast offense short game may have added the OL protection scheme and unit
more so.

- But despite questions of Solari, and the lack of run game, this OL unit did help us sustain the No.1 offense in yardage and among top in points scored
despite some issues.
And we all know his record from that year

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
I think TJ Bass is the best of the 2s.

After that…. Not so good.

Maybe Richards.

Our T projects need to step up.
T projects are wasted. Ball is atrocious and wiftoski ( sorry messed up his name) is always injured. Only Richards played like a backup player when put in .

DuncanIso

Reaction score

JPJ would be awesome. same credentials as Biadasz.

But is he gonna be there at 24?

Likely no.