Official Game Thread -Week 8- Lions

Rocky

Reaction score
DC radio just named Roy Williams player of the game and it's well deserved because he set the tone for the team by making huge hits and well-timed stops.
Congrats RW.

Sidenote: EG just got 100 yds. Who'd thunk it?

So what do we know about Crayton now? Ra Williams/Copper with no catches? I'm encouraged by Crayton just as I was in the preseason. Randal must not ever get open or run good routes, otherwise, he'd see some balls.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
speedkilz88 said:
The Cowboys took him off the Baltimore practice squad and has been inactive for the Cowboys until today.
Laugh!

Instead of congratulating Tuna for plucking this unknown off the Ravens PS, let's harpoon him for not playing the kid sooner.

Gotta love it.

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
Rocky said:
DC radio just named Roy Williams player of the game and it's well deserved because he set the tone for the team by making huge hits and well-timed stops.
Congrats RW.

So what do we know about Crayton now? Ra Williams/Copper with no catches? I'm encouraged by Crayton just as I was in the preseason. Randal must not ever get open or run good routes, otherwise, he'd see some balls.

The stat that I see is 31 carries for 99 yards.

If that holds true.......how many carries does it take to get EG 100 yards? More than 31.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Rocky said:
Congrats RW.

I love Crayton's option as a passer............of Randal, Copper, and PC, Crayton's the one who could wreak the most damage.

won't get too over psyched off one completion, but there's one to build on..

It s a win!!!!!

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
I love Crayton's option as a passer............of Randal, Copper, and PC, Crayton's the one who could wreak the most damage.

won't get too over psyched off one completion, but there's one to build on..

It s a win!!!!!

OK...I'll take that as an acknowledgement that a player doesn't have to be 36 for the team to be competitive...

:)

Nice balance today...as it should be...vets and youngin's....Key was a knucklehead today...but pulled his butt out of the fire in the end...

speedkilz88

Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
Laugh!

Instead of congratulating Tuna for plucking this unknown off the Ravens PS, let's harpoon him for not playing the kid sooner.

Gotta love it.
I did no such thing.:mad: I just answered where he came from.

No, YOU didn't. :D

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Jimz31 said:
The stat that I see is 31 carries for 99 yards.

If that holds true.......how many carries does it take to get EG 100 yards? More than 31.

Everytime you see EG and over 30 carries equals Dallas win. You pay attention this week?

What was TOP Today for offense!? :D

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Juke99 said:
OK...I'll take that as an acknowledgement that a player doesn't have to be 36 for the team to be competitive...

:)

Nice balance today...as it should be...vets and youngin's....Key was a knucklehead today...but pulled his butt out of the fire in the end...

Juke, as someone who was FOR Carter, against ANY vet QB getting signed, very PRO Henson, and steadfastly behind Julius as the starter, I don't think any of my posts, or their general intent can be misconstrued as believing a player has to be old to be good. I was also mucho vocal about Hunter getting developed, as well as the other young dbs when calls to sign high priced corners were at their peak.

I like the Tuna way of developing young players. When I see Jason, and Al, and even poor Tnew..see Gurode and Tucker not exactly challenging for the Pro Bowl, but knowing vet linemen are the rule, not the exception in this league.

I have strong faith the Craytons and the Jones will be integrated when they prove in practice they are better options. Patrick, or pethaps Randal or Copper, will have to step up now there is a major injury. Should they have been starting over Terry? Over Key? Should one even start over Morgan when he's healthy?

No.

Lee is evidently NOT what people want to think he is as a runner. Doesn't mean he won't have a role as a returner and a change up back. But wishing him to be Sweetness because I don't like Eddie George is not going to make him so.

I know one thing.

Bill puts his best players out there. This BS about favoritism is just that - BS. Tuna would never sacrifice winning for anything - and he never would have become Bill Parcells if he did.

I think by not featuring Ward, our favorite whipping boy, today he was telling us Dedric can't do Terry's job, and in that case, the upside apparent in the kids is preferable, as is their evaluation. But by the same, token, if next week Morgan is on that field, and Patrick only sees a handful of three set plays, I will understand that too.

One thing I never do is let dislike of any player(s) rob me of my enjoyment of the team, or a win. I feel bad for those who can't get the joy I got out of this win today, because "their" players were not out there enough.

"My" players won't be out there again this year. TG definitely, Darren most likely, I know in my heart.

But I love the team no less, and wish them no less success w/o them.

Have a great trick or treat nite!

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
Juke, as someone who was FOR Carter, against ANY vet QB getting signed, very PRO Henson, and steadfastly behind Julius as the starter, I don't think any of my posts, or their general intent can be misconstrued as believing a player has to be old to be good. I was also mucho vocal about Hunter getting developed, as well as the other young dbs when calls to sign high priced corners were at their peak.

I like the Tuna way of developing young players. When I see Jason, and Al, and even poor Tnew..see Gurode and Tucker not exactly challenging for the Pro Bowl, but knowing vet linemen are the rule, not the exception in this league.

I have strong faith the Craytons and the Jones will be integrated when they prove in practice they are better options. Patrick, or pethaps Randal or Copper, will have to step up now there is a major injury. Should they have been starting over Terry? Over Key? Should one even start over Morgan when he's healthy?

No.

Lee is evidently NOT what people want to think he is as a runner. Doesn't mean he won't have a role as a returner and a change up back. But wishing him to be Sweetness because I don't like Eddie George is not going to make him so.

I know one thing.

Bill puts his best players out there. This BS about favoritism is just that - BS. Tuna would never sacrifice winning for anything - and he never would have become Bill Parcells if he did.

I think by not featuring Ward, our favorite whipping boy, today he was telling us Dedric can't do Terry's job, and in that case, the upside apparent in the kids is preferable, as is their evaluation. But by the same, token, if next week Morgan is on that field, and Patrick only sees a handful of three set plays, I will understand that too.

One thing I never do is let dislike of any player(s) rob me of my enjoyment of the team, or a win. I feel bad for those who can't get the joy I got out of this win today, because "their" players were not out there enough.

"My" players won't be out there again this year. TG definitely, Darren most likely, I know in my heart.

But I love the team no less, and wish them no less success w/o them.

Have a great trick or treat nite!

I have a VERY hard time believing that you believe that EG is the best runner on our team.

Do you REALLY believe that?

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Jimz31 said:
How long has Frazier been on the practice squad?
I think he's been on the 53 man roster...didn't we sign him off someone else's ps?

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Jimz31 said:
I have a VERY hard time believing that you believe that EG is the best runner on our team.

Do you REALLY believe that?

Best RB on our roster.

JJ/Lee are unproven, drop the ball and are frail. Richie is what he is.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Nors said:
Everytime you see EG and over 30 carries equals Dallas win. You pay attention this week?

What was TOP Today for offense!? :D
You could also say the total TOP was a result of our D holding them to shorter
possessions, and that it's a good sign that we were ABLE to run George 30 times.

We beat Cleveland in TOP too, 36-24, and that was with throwing it 35 times. But
that was Cleveland.

Kind of like, this was Detroit (offense ranked 32nd).

Weak offenses don't possess the ball for very long. Coming into the game the Lions were ranked 31st in TOP.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
percyhoward said:
You could also say the total TOP was a result of our D holding them to shorter
possessions, and that it's a good sign that we were ABLE to run George 30 times.

We beat Cleveland in TOP too, 36-24, and that was with throwing it 35 times. But
that was Cleveland.

Kind of like, this was Detroit (offense ranked 32nd).

Weak offenses don't possess the ball for very long. Coming into the game the Lions were ranked 31st in TOP.

We started the game 7 points in the hole.

We rode George and Witten on a 10 minute TD drive. George was there for another 6 Minute TD drive.

All that TOP kept our weak Defense at where its at its best - on the sideline. If IT WERE NOT OUR 3 to's. Its a blow out!

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Nors said:
We started the game 7 points in the hole.

We rode George and Witten on a 10 minute TD drive. George was there for another 6 Minute TD drive.

All that TOP kept our weak Defense at where its at its best - on the sideline. If IT WERE NOT OUR 3 to's. Its a blow out!
It was the Lions. Remember last year in Philly? We had 34 runs to 24 passes, won TOP 34-26, and lost the game 36-10.

I give Parcells credit for "taking the blame on himself" and "changing philosophies." If he's got any players believing the schedule doesn't matter, and we can win any game we play now, like he does you, then he accomplished something.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
percyhoward said:
It was the Lions. Remember last year in Philly? We had 34 runs to 24 passes, won TOP 34-26, and lost the game 36-10.

I give Parcells credit for "taking the blame on himself" and "changing philosophies." If he's got any players believing the schedule doesn't matter, and we can win any game we play now, like he does you, then he accomplished something.

Big conference game for us - We also beat that Philly team last year also.
WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? Where did I ever say we can win any game now. Thats you talking bro.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
We held Detroit to 14 points partly because we ran a lot (which we were able to do because we were winning), but mostly because they came into the game ranked DEAD LAST in offense and next to last in TOP.

Our D got off the field a lot quicker today than it did against the Packers, for example. The Lions' average possession lasted 2:08. Last week, the Packers' average possession lasted 3:20. That's got nothing to do with Eddie George.

Now, us holding the ball longer gives them fewer possessions, that's true. But when your average possession is 2:08 what difference does it make how many of them you have? It's basically the difference between punting 6 times and punting 7 times.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
percyhoward said:
We held Detroit to 14 points partly because we ran a lot (which we were able to do because we were winning), but mostly because they came into the game ranked DEAD LAST in offense and next to last in TOP.

Our D got off the field a lot quicker today than it did against the Packers, for example. The Lions' average possession lasted 2:08. Last week, the Packers' average possession lasted 3:20. That's got nothing to do with Eddie George.

Now, us holding the ball longer gives them fewer possessions, that's true. But when your average possession is 2:08 what difference does it make how many of them you have? It's basically the difference between punting 6 times and punting 7 times.

We were in the hole 7-0.

Ran a 15 play 83 yard drive = 9:55 of posession
Ran a 11 play 80 yard TD drive = 6:24 posession
Also had a 9 play = 4:42 FG drive

That kept our D rested and better prepared to not get demolished like previos months efforts.

Ball controll offense worked - our D was off the field. 39/21 TOP margin is as good as it gets.

Good team victory. BTW LIONS WERE #10 Run defense in NFL coming in. We pounded them and Vinny made plays.

If not for 3 picks its a blow out win.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
percyhoward said:

Where do you get the 2:08 average posession? Is that Adams? Source? We had significantly higher TOP and I did a EG TOP analysis that had his drives in mid 3's. Todays had to be significantly higher.