Official: Kellen Moore made OC, Kitna QB Coach

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Sometimes I think this team does stuff just to see the civil wars they create within the fandom.
That does create relevance.

It also helps when you have a fan base that is composed of 50% or more gullible imbeciles that gobble up all the false hope and nonsense the Joneses peddle year after year.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
it's possible Moore was simply the backup plan as no experienced OC wanted to sign on for potentially only one year.
I can't think of many up and coming OCs who would sign up for that.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak was still arrant and inaccurate on a lot of throws. I swear, our WR corps have extendable arms somerimes. Don't throw the "completion percentage" number at me, ejther. Yes, a lot more passes were complete than non, but a sizable chunk that was catching balls behind them or way in front. Also, Dak had a few pick dixes dropped this year.

Surely you understand that the QB himself actually has plays a part - that's he's not a robot a QB coach can program.

As for the idea that receivers catching balls behind them or in front of them accounts for the entire increase from 62.9% to 67.7% completion %, that's pretty far fetched. Yes, there were times Dak was inconsistent with his accuracy, but there were last year too. We can't just dismiss it based on somehow receivers made phenominal plays this year that they inexplicably couldn't make last year.

And, the thing is, completion % wasn't the only area of improvement. He threw fewer INTs in 2018 than n 2017, and he averaged an additional 35 yards per game more in 2018 than in 2017, and he improved both in yardage per attempt and yardage per catch in 2018 over 2017. In all, every measurable throwing stat improved in 2018 over 2017.

So, what else you got?

cern

Reaction score
among the NFL's cognoscenti, his suitors were many. now he is free to work his magic on dak and the cowboys offense. I only hope garrett doesn't become jealous of the offensive juggernaut we're about to become. fyi, crow meat is tasty if first put in a hard cider brine with orange peel, thyme, parsley, cinnamon, cloves, etc.

Last edited:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
among the NFL's cognoscenti, his suitors were many. now he is free to work his magic on dak and the cowboys offense. I only hope garrett doesn't become jealous of the offensive juggernaut we're about to become. fyi, crow meat is tasty is first put in a hard cider brine with orange peel, thyme, parsley, cinnamon, cloves, etc.

Thanks for the post. I learned a new word.

Gaede

Reaction score
This is hilarious and I can't wait for next year.

My guess is that Moore will flop. Big time.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
lining up scapegoats two abreast

I never understand this thinking. If a head coach wants to keep his job, trying to win is a much more likely way to do it than trying to lose while having someone else to blame. If you are talking about Jerry, then the same thing applies - trying to win is a better way to win favor with the fans than trying to lose while having someone else to blame.

_sturt_

Reaction score
I never understand this thinking. If a head coach wants to keep his job, trying to win is a much more likely way to do it than trying to lose while having someone else to blame. If you are talking about Jerry, then the same thing applies - trying to win is a better way to win favor with the fans than trying to lose while having someone else to blame.

Yeah, that's just over-the-top cynical to talk like Jerry & Co. are expecting to lose after a playoff season, and are making moves accordingly to CYA for Jason.

It's not that at all.

Garrett will call the plays whether he's physically calling the plays or not.

This will be his offense, with the child prodigy being given a chance to design a few plays, modify a few in the book, and mostly just influence Garrett's choices... if you ask me, which no one did, of course... that's the logical conclusion here.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, that's just over-the-top cynical to talk like Jerry & Co. are expecting to lose after a playoff season, and are making moves accordingly to CYA for Jason.

It's not that at all.

Garrett will call the plays whether he's physically calling the plays or not.

This will be his offense, with the child prodigy being given a chance to design a few plays, modify a few in the book, and mostly just influence Garrett's choices... if you ask me, which no one did, of course... that's the logical conclusion here.

I certainly think Garrett will set parameters for the offense, and I don't expect a complete overhaul of the offense, but hopefully (always allow room for hope) Moore will have enough influence to help. I just hope his inexperience doesn't hold him back too much.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Had it been the case that we'd ever heard before it became apparent that the front office was running out of back-up plans... say, like during the season, or at least before Linehan was let go... that Kellen Moore was this incredible offensive wizard brainiac... I might not be scared.

I'm scared.

Yes, this could go well. My fear could be proven unfounded.

But for now, I'm scared. And I am being pragmatic. History says I should be.

This is not what happens when the decision-makers for an organization are resolute and confident.

jsb357

Reaction score
trying to win is a much more likely way to do it than trying to lose while having someone else to blame.

Obviously the coaches are not trying to lose but history has shown coaches "under Garrett" are
sacrificed when the wheels of the process fail to go round and round

NumOneQB

Reaction score
Yep. Turns out Kellen Moore's dad was Bill Walsh, and his mom was Samantha Stevens (let's see if anyone below age 45 gets that reference). That makes him a wizard of offensive football.

I liked your comment for the Bill Walsh reference alone. I have no idea who Samantha Stevens is?

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Got here late, but I am willing to give Moore a fair chance.

Some say he is too young and inexperienced. Well, we just had an older, more experienced OC here in Scott Linehan, and we couldn't wait to run him out the door.

Moore knows the offenses of today- spreading the field, some up-tempo stuff, some college stuff mixed in. It's what Moore himself mastered at Boise State and it's what Dak Prescott did best at Mississippi State, too. Plus, Moore knows Dak's likes, dislikes, strengths, and weaknesses.

Best of all the two have an excellent working relationship. We can only hope this is the Cowboys' version of the Sean McVay-Jared Goff playcaller-QB combo.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I liked your comment for the Bill Walsh reference alone. I have no idea who Samantha Stevens is?

She played a witch on the 1960's era sitcom "Bewitched". Could make stuff happen by just twitching her nose.

I know my parents used to watch the re-runs when I was little, but I admit I just had to Google her.