*** Official non-Cowboys player cuts thread *** merged ***

BAZ

Drunken Mick
Reaction score
Jackson won't be playing special teams. Dunbar will. This, amongst other things, would make him less desirable.

Has Jackson been healthier than Dunbar? Yes. Has Jackson been healthy? No. He's also older and costs more.

Less desirable to you. Dunbar has been in the league three years and not scored one TD. You don't know he costs more if hes not signed yet. And I'll take Jackson on third down over Dunbar on special teams. People see Lance as a poor mans Sproles, but in reality he's a poor man's Dexter McCluster.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
But that's short sighted IMO because you are talking about having a guy on a one year deal.

So the fact Jackson is 34 shouldn't scare the team if they think he could help. It's not like he'd be commanding a 3-4 year deal here.

I hear you... but that is what the team is doing. Like Alexander said, special teams comes into play, along with other considerations.

Are they right? I think so, but we don't know for sure.

A 34 year old RB is ancient by NFL standards. I'm sure that if the team thought he was still a very good player, then they would give him consideration.

However, at 34, he isn't what he used to be. He was a hero in Buffalo and if he had much of anything left, they would have kept him. It is their respect for him that got him released early enough to catch on somewhere.

Remember when we finally let go of Emmitt? He was done. He didn't help the Cards very much frankly, he just gave them what any number of backs could have at a lower price. Emmitt did put butts in the seats because fans love names... but he didn't help.

Jackson can't provide anything that younger, cheaper guys can't.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
:laugh:

Thanks for the video.

I loved that split set where the DB runs into him and he just puts his right hand on top of the DBs helmet and throws him aside.

Epically epic.

He definitely has the athleticism and physicality needed to play special teams.

He is a runaway freight train in goal line & short yardage and is a very good receiver out of the backfield, a real load in space. Very good in pass pro as well. And Iosefa was also a former QB so he is actually a threat to throw a pass on a fullback option, unlike Clutts.

Iosefa over Gus Johnson is a no brainer.

Plankton

Reaction score
Less desirable to you. Dunbar has been in the league three years and not scored one TD. You don't know he costs more if hes not signed yet. And I'll take Jackson on third down over Dunbar on special teams. People see Lance as a poor mans Sproles, but in reality he's a poor man's Dexter McCluster.

By the nature of a nine year veteran minimum costing more than a third year minimum, I do know that he will cost more.

Jackson is a better running back than Dunbar. He's a stronger runner, a much better pass protector, and is a good receiver. Dunbar is a much more potentially explosive player in terms of speed and quickness. Dunbar also will contribute on special teams, especially on kickoff returns. Jackson, at 34 years of age, will not.

And, as a third RB, if you don't contribute on special teams, you aren't as desirable player as one who does. Especially if you have a track record of being injured.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
if you thought Murray was slow... Wait til you see Forte and Jackson..

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Thank you.

Missed the past two games.

You did not miss much, from Dunbar anyway. He sucks in coverage and has always been average or less as a returner. There is a reason why Harris kept beating him out as a returner.

BAZ

Drunken Mick
Reaction score
By the nature of a nine year veteran minimum costing more than a third year minimum, I do know that he will cost more.

Jackson is a better running back than Dunbar. He's a stronger runner, a much better pass protector, and is a good receiver. Dunbar is a much more potentially explosive player in terms of speed and quickness. Dunbar also will contribute on special teams, especially on kickoff returns. Jackson, at 34 years of age, will not.

And, as a third RB, if you don't contribute on special teams, you aren't as desirable player as one who does. Especially if you have a track record of being injured.

Dunbars getting 1.5 mil and they can get Jackson for less if he was willing. So yeah, best of luck with the Dunbar love. I'm sure that will work out for you.

Hailmary

Reaction score
What's the point of carrying Dunbar who can't pass block and isn't a great running threat at this point?

Sure, I'd love to pick up a bigger, younger back. Now name me that player that's going to be available.

Fred Jackson is likely going to be the best TB option out there. He's better than Dunbar. This isnt rocket science IMO.

Maybe the thinking with the coaching staff is that Dunbar could be used as a "Sproles" type? Do I think this also? Not really....but I do think he could be a versatile back that can go in motion and play the slot, be used in the screen and contribute on special teams. He may not be the traditional back you may be looking for, but I don't think anyone has that expectation of him. As far as his lack of production is concerned, the staff hasn't really utilized him much (which is frustrating).

Is Jackson going to contribute much in ST? I doubt it and the third running back needs to contribute there often and do it well.

As far as younger/ bigger backs, I'm keeping an eye on Terrell Watson from Cincy. Also from Cincy, James Wilder is another big back that intrigues me and although not younger/ bigger, Cedric Peerman who could also get cut is considered to be an excellent special teamer. He's their ST captain actually and was like 2nd in the league in ST tackles last year.

Juwan Thompson from Denver looks like a player to me. If by some miracle Montee beats him out, I'd gladly take a look at Thompson.

Not sure how things are going to play out in San Fran, but I'm keeping an eye on Mike Davis. Not a "big" back, but he's stocky and I think he can play.

And I'm not a big fan of Bryce Brown, but some on this board seems to like him.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I don't know about Thomas. He worked out for the Texans and they didn't sign him. They may have a worst situation at RB than we do and they passed on him. I will admit I don't know why they passed, maybe it was money. But if I remember right, he is not a 3 down back, he is most effective on 3rd down as a pass catcher. Don't see an up grade over McFadden in that case.

Texans got good news on Foster.

Llooking like he'll be back before September is over.

Hailmary

Reaction score
He's gotten almost no chance. I was really frustrated last year the way they gave Randle and Dunbar nothing, and Murray was pretty beat up at the end. That was my lone complaint against the Cowboys coaching staff last year.

The key is to not just use Dunbar on 3rd down. Give him the opening couple of plays on a series here and there. In space, he can fly, and he can take a draw or a handoff from the spread and be effective. He just needs a chance.

He looked fantastic against the Raiders a couple of years ago, and he's had some nice plays along the way. But it's just been so limited.

Garrett and Romo love the guy.

Agree with a lot of this especially the reluctance to use him.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I hear you... but that is what the team is doing. Like Alexander said, special teams comes into play, along with other considerations.

Are they right? I think so, but we don't know for sure.

A 34 year old RB is ancient by NFL standards. I'm sure that if the team thought he was still a very good player, then they would give him consideration.

However, at 34, he isn't what he used to be. He was a hero in Buffalo and if he had much of anything left, they would have kept him. It is their respect for him that got him released early enough to catch on somewhere.

Remember when we finally let go of Emmitt? He was done. He didn't help the Cards very much frankly, he just gave them what any number of backs could have at a lower price. Emmitt did put butts in the seats because fans love names... but he didn't help.

Jackson can't provide anything that younger, cheaper guys can't.

But if Emmitt did not get injured (Roy Williams!), he out performs the younger bigger stronger Troy Hambrick. On one hand you have the aging player who can still produce and on the other hand you have the younger player who you HOPE will produce. The ST argument is a non starter IMO, because Dunbar is no great shakes there anyway, in coverage (sucks) or as a returner (mediocre).

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
But if Emmitt did not get injured (Roy Williams!), he out performs the younger bigger stronger Troy Hambrick. On one hand you have the aging player who can still produce and on the other hand you have the younger player who you HOPE will produce. The ST argument is a non starter IMO, because Dunbar is no great shakes there anyway, in coverage (sucks) or as a returner (mediocre).

So you want the team to sign Fred Jackson?

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
I think when a long time player for a team is in the 1st round of cuts it's because they want to give him a better chance to find another team. If they are going to be cut anyway, the players prefer sooner rather than later.

FYI - You're leery (Leary is the the Cowboys LG).

Yeah, you're right. I always do that.

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
Jackson should be our 3rd down back. Period.

He could be a change or pace/rotational back, but I'd still like to have DMC in there on 3rd downs. Good pass receiver and great blocker. Now, I'll be honest, I don't know how Jackson stacks up in those areas. I know he's been a great back, but I don't follow the Bills enough to really know what his strengths and weaknesses are.

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
I can understand that and majority of the time I feel that way as well but there are times that a team knowing they will release a player like Jackson does so sooner rather than later out of respect so that he is able to catch on with another team and get some time with the new team.

I understand that, but if the guy can still play, why is Buffalo getting rid of him? Are they up against the cap? Are they just trying to go younger? I know Spiller left, so just how deep are they at RB right now?

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
So you want the team to sign Fred Jackson?

Not at this time. But if Cowboys do not pick up another back or even 2, then I do not see how Running Back by Committee experiment is going to work. Neither McFadden or Dunbar have track record for durability. And both play similar roles, 3rd down back/receiver out of backfield. And Randle is just an off field brain fart away from not playing. Finally not one, I mean NONE, of the running backs currently on the team, is reliable enough to pick up the dirty yards with any kind of consistency.

Cowboys need a true play maker at the position (McFadden COULD be that player, if he can hold up) and/or a bruiser. There will be more talented options than Dunbar IMO, that includes Fred Jackson.

Hailmary

Reaction score
I understand that, but if the guy can still play, why is Buffalo getting rid of him? Are they up against the cap? Are they just trying to go younger? I know Spiller left, so just how deep are they at RB right now?

They drafted the kid Williams from FSU. They must've liked what they saw from him.

Plankton

Reaction score
Dunbars getting 1.5 mil and they can get Jackson for less if he was willing. So yeah, best of luck with the Dunbar love. I'm sure that will work out for you.

Who has Dunbar love? I think the guy is expendable. I also, though, realize that he can contribute in more areas than a 34 year old RB who has had injury issues the last four seasons.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

I guess they feel with McCoy as the featured RB then can go with younger plus the Bills will save about $2.5 million off their 2015 salary cap by releasing Jackson.