Official Rhein Fire Thread

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
superpunk said:
4 sacks....in 4 games.....I may not be a smart man, but isn't that something like 1 per game?!?!?!?!?!?!

I love that.

Could not agree more - I didn't see the game today, but I know that the previous two, those tackles were getting owned and Henson still moved.

I am not trying to compare them without justice - but something I notice. Carter might have been slightly more athletic when he was here - but he didn't use that athleticism all the time. He would run sometimes, but Carter wanted to be recognized as a pocket passer, not a scrambler.

Henson isn't a 700 yd rusher, but he has excellent feet and knows how to get out of a situation. Doesn't have the exact athleticism as Carter, but his feet are better and he knows when to use his feet a little bit better.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
superpunk said:
4 sacks....in 4 games.....I may not be a smart man, but isn't that something like 1 per game?!?!?!?!?!?!

I love that.

Hutch got sacked 4 times in 1 game, that's uh, well, let's see...4 per game!:lmao:

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
Henson isn't a 700 yd rusher, but he has excellent feet and knows how to get out of a situation. Doesn't have the exact athleticism as Carter, but his feet are better and he knows when to use his feet a little bit better.

this is also showing that Henson can feel a pass-rush, VERY important attribute for an QB with NFL franchise QB aspirations, and what his biggest problem on Turkey Day was, showing just how far he's come along, and hopefully, which I think he will, will continue to come along

superpunk

Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
Could not agree more - I didn't see the game today, but I know that the previous two, those tackles were getting owned and Henson still moved.

I am not trying to compare them without justice - but something I notice. Carter might have been slightly more athletic when he was here - but he didn't use that athleticism all the time. He would run sometimes, but Carter wanted to be recognized as a pocket passer, not a scrambler.

Yeah. It's not like he has the pocket presence of Brady or Green, but he's able to evade just enough to make a throw, or take off down field. Of course, he doesn't get nearly the pocket that an NFL QB would have to start with, but his progress is realy something. When you look at what he's doing - is there anything more we could realistically be expecting him to do?

1. Move the football consistently? Check
2. Get your team into scoring position consistently? Check
3. Don't take sacks? Check
4. Throw TDs? Check
5. Dont turn the ball over? Check
6. Win? Check
7. Show poise and confidence? Check
8. Show trademark accuracy? Check

It's all there. There is absolutely NOTHING bad coming out of this trip - and that is encouraging.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
this is also showing that Henson can feel a pass-rush, VERY important attribute for an QB with NFL franchise QB aspirations, and what his biggest problem on Turkey Day was, showing just how far he's come along, and hopefully, which I think he will, will continue to come along

Yep. More important than his scrambling is that he knows where to step. You don't have to be a fast QB - just know where things are and move to the clear part of the pocket. Possibly the best thing a QB can do.

Now, his athleticism is gravy - for this reason. He now needs to learn to read the blitz. When he comes back, I hope he runs blitz drills 100 times a day. Because if he learns to use hot reads and get the ball out, something I feel he can do, teams will NEVER blitz him, because he will burn them.

When Parcells says 'good qbs like the blitz' he is talking about that concept. Henson strikes me as the kind of guy who is going to be able to burn you for blitzing.

And if 7 guys are in coverage with 4 rushers, he is fast enough to get 5-7 yards on his feet. That's something we haven't seen since Carter, and before that, since Staubach.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
Yep. More important than his scrambling is that he knows where to step. You don't have to be a fast QB - just know where things are and move to the clear part of the pocket. Possibly the best thing a QB can do.

Now, his athleticism is gravy - for this reason. He now needs to learn to read the blitz. When he comes back, I hope he runs blitz drills 100 times a day. Because if he learns to use hot reads and get the ball out, something I feel he can do, teams will NEVER blitz him, because he will burn them.

When Parcells says 'good qbs like the blitz' he is talking about that concept. Henson strikes me as the kind of guy who is going to be able to burn you for blitzing.

And if 7 guys are in coverage with 4 rushers, he is fast enough to get 5-7 yards on his feet. That's something we haven't seen since Carter, and before that, since Staubach.

:hammer:

sorry, had to quote the entire post, simply brilliant

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
superpunk said:
Yeah. It's not like he has the pocket presence of Brady or Green, but he's able to evade just enough to make a throw, or take off down field. Of course, he doesn't get nearly the pocket that an NFL QB would have to start with, but his progress is realy something. When you look at what he's doing - is there anything more we could realistically be expecting him to do?

Brady has possibly the best feet/pocket presence I've ever seen. But what Henson doesn't have there, he gains in escapability and athleticism.

As far as getting the pockets, dunno that I agree with you there. Bledsoe doesn't always get a good pocket, and I'm not certain things are going to change this year.

Now that being said, the biggest knock on Bledsoe is his feet - he doesn't have great pocket presence - he just drops back and waits to get hit. So I don't know if we can judge the pocket off his play necessarily.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
Juke99 said:
Thanks.

The numbers look good to me...particularly the ints and fumbles...

Drew is improving weekly and the main stat is that his team is 4-0. The guy is a winner and he will continue to improve with more experience. If he learns to recognize defenses and blitz packages more acutely then we just may have our future QB. :)

TRUTH87

Cowboy for Life
Reaction score
wow, i just read threw most of the thread and i'm really happy for our possibly future QB. I really got a good ''vision'' of Hensons' actions with yalls' comments. Thx.

I trully hope this trip just gets even better. :cool:

ghst187

Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
Brady has possibly the best feet/pocket presence I've ever seen. But what Henson doesn't have there, he gains in escapability and athleticism.
QUOTE]

Have you seen Brady Quinn sidestep blitzers? The way he hangs in there, moves only one or two steps under heavy rush and keeps his eyes downfield is amazing....kid has the best footwork I've seen and serious moxie...
didn't mean to change the subject off of Henson though...

Scotman

Reaction score
I just want to thank all of you who post the only "game tape" I'll see. I don't have access to the games played overseas.

It's such a slow time of year and I've got no way to get my Cowboys fix other than to read made up stories and "what-ifs" by reporters with nothing to report.

Nice to hear about Henson. I'm pulling for him and Romo. How great would it be to have a real battle in camp for the second QB position? And not a battle for least sucky, but a battle because both seem to have something. I'd really like to see that.

At any rate, thanks again!
Scot

lspain1

Reaction score
Scotman said:
I just want to thank all of you who post the only "game tape" I'll see. I don't have access to the games played overseas.

It's such a slow time of year and I've got no way to get my Cowboys fix other than to read made up stories and "what-ifs" by reporters with nothing to report.

Nice to hear about Henson. I'm pulling for him and Romo. How great would it be to have a real battle in camp for the second QB position? And not a battle for least sucky, but a battle because both seem to have something. I'd really like to see that.

At any rate, thanks again!
Scot

Scot, unfortunately most of the time all you get to see are the pass plays and they don't tell the whole story. The key play of the latest Fire game had nothing to do with Henson. A Fire RB (Lewis, I think) had a ball stripped out late in the game but was ruled down by contact. Down by contact strikes in Europe as well! At that time the score was tied, and had that play gone the other way the game might have turned out differently. The Sea Devils were winless going in and played with real intensity.

That being said, Drew Henson continued to play well making excellent decisions. He showed pocket presence, maneuverability, and throwing ability (particularly on the move) and his play has definitely improved since the season began. I know this is NFLE (and I'm a homer) but he shows real promise IMO.

This process hearkens back to QB development before the salary cap era. Bringing a young QB along slowly and letting him develop is a better way than throwing a youngster to the lions. Bradshaw wrote in his book that it took him 5 years in the NFL before he was really comfortable with what he was doing in Pittsburgh. He turned out OK, but I wonder if he would have made it in today's NFL. Most don't get that much time. And we fans have no patience at all.

Scotman

Reaction score
lspain1 said:
Scot, unfortunately most of the time all you get to see are the pass plays and they don't tell the whole story. The key play of the latest Fire game had nothing to do with Henson. A Fire RB (Lewis, I think) had a ball stripped out late in the game but was ruled down by contact. Down by contact strikes in Europe as well! At that time the score was tied, and had that play gone the other way the game might have turned out differently. The Sea Devils were winless going in and played with real intensity.

That being said, Drew Henson continued to play well making excellent decisions. He showed pocket presence, maneuverability, and throwing ability (particularly on the move) and his play has definitely improved since the season began. I know this is NFLE (and I'm a homer) but he shows real promise IMO.

This process hearkens back to QB development before the salary cap era. Bringing a young QB along slowly and letting him develop is a better way than throwing a youngster to the lions. Bradshaw wrote in his book that it took him 5 years in the NFL before he was really comfortable with what he was doing in Pittsburgh. He turned out OK, but I wonder if he would have made it in today's NFL. Most don't get that much time. And we fans have no patience at all.

Thanks for the review; I mean it.

I'm patient with Henson. Didn't he sign a 7 year contract? I'm old enough to remember how long it took for Danny White to take the field. He turned out all right too. As durable as Bledsoe has been, now's the time to develop these two kids we've got.

Again, THANKS.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Although the refs acted really confused on that play where they thought the rb fumbled they ultimately made the right call. Replay showed that the left knee was down way before the ball was stripped. Reminded me of Tyson Thompson in the eagle game.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Scotman said:
Thanks for the review; I mean it.

I'm patient with Henson. Didn't he sign a 7 year contract? I'm old enough to remember how long it took for Danny White to take the field. He turned out all right too. As durable as Bledsoe has been, now's the time to develop these two kids we've got.

Again, THANKS.
I thought it was an 8 year deal not 7 but could be wrong. As for Danny White, he couldn't get on the field becasue we had somebody starting in front him named Roger something. :D

Scotman

Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
I thought it was an 8 year deal not 7 but could be wrong. As for Danny White, he couldn't get on the field becasue we had somebody starting in front him named Roger something. :D
Don't think for a second that I don't remember Roger. :D All time one of my all time favorite players of all time. ALL TIME.

Even so, these same folks wanting to trade Romo and cut Henson would have been screaming that Danny should have been able to unseat a QB drafted late who then sat out for several years.

You could be completely right on the contract. I only remember that it was a long term deal.

CowboyManDan

Reaction score
Well I TiVoed the game yesterday and just finished watching it this morning.

Another good performance by Henson. Possibly his best so far. Every week he's showing his mobility/atheleticism and his strong arm. He was on target all day, and his completetion % would have been even better had there not been 3 drops in the beginning of the game. On top of him making some plays by himself, he's also becoming a good game manager which is important.

Would like to see him get more shots at long balls down the field in future games, and I imagine he will get to at least a little.

Anyhow, was fun to watch!

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CowboyManDan said:
Another good performance by Henson. Possibly his best so far. Every week he's showing his mobility/atheleticism and his strong arm. He was on target all day, and his completetion % would have been even better had there not been 3 drops in the beginning of the game. On top of him making some plays by himself, he's also becoming a good game manager which is important.
Another dagger to the Hanson haters hearts. I can hear it now......it's Europe, it's minor league, a good college team could beat these guys, he is playing against scrubs.........

tyke1doe

Reaction score
lspain1 said:

Bingo.

We fans have no patience. But I heard Aikman say it is extremely more difficult for today's quarterbacks than even when he came into the league and was thrusted into a starting role.

And we're talking about Henson who basically sat out of football for four years and we expect him to take over the Cowboys starting position.

I've never been down on Henson. But that's because I recognize that Parcells is old school in terms of his quarterbacks.

I think through it all Henson will be the starter for the Cowboys if not next year the year after that and he will be a good one because he has gone through the natural development that a quarterback needs to be successful in this league, particularly one who was green as algae when he came into the NFL.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
tyke1doe said:
Bingo.

We fans have no patience. But I heard Aikman say it is extremely more difficult for today's quarterbacks than even when he came into the league and was thrusted into a starting role.

And we're talking about Henson who basically sat out of football for four years and we expect him to take over the Cowboys starting position.

I've never been down on Henson. But that's because I recognize that Parcells is old school in terms of his quarterbacks.

I think through it all Henson will be the starter for the Cowboys if not next year the year after that and he will be a good one because he has gone through the natural development that a quarterback needs to be successful in this league, particularly one who was green as algae when he came into the NFL.

I can tell you friend that Zaxor has little to no patience in anything not just football:(

It is so wierd to talk in 3rd person but it cracks me up every time:laugh2: