Official San Antonio Spurs Thread

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Biggems;2098991 said:
Well we lost...we choked away another big lead and the series.

You know, I was thinking about all of our offensive woes this year and in this series.....it reminded me of when the Lakers were 3peating....our offense was crappy. Well when we won 3 out of 5 Championships, we had a certain offensive coach as one of our assistants.....he left this past year to coach Seattle. I just as heck miss PJ. We hardly ever had these kinds of scoring droughts over the last several years......

Our defense kept us in all but one game.....our offense and rebounding was putrid.

One thing did bug me though.....Manu was injured, cant really shoot with any consistency.....so why did Pop have him at the top of the circle instead of on the wing.....cause when Duncan would pass out it would go to the wing, then to Manu at the top who would be wide open, but his shots wouldn't fall. Barry was on fire. Why not put Barry at the top and when the ball cycles to him, he has a wide open 3 all night long....Just little things like that that were irking me.

BTW, Splitter is going to stay in Europe...that blows. What a wasted draft pick. I dont blame him for taking the money, but I sure wish he would have came over.

It was a good season, It was a good run this year.....We will be back with avengance next year....and we will have a more youthful group.....and we will win it in 2009...

GO SPURS GO

I observed it all season long - Spurs offense was prone to going MIA - usually late in games.

Lakers major favorites to win it all now -

MC KAos

Reaction score
it was a seventeen point game tonight, and i had absolutely no doubt the spurs would lose, i just went to play mario kart wii instead so i could save myself the pain of another scoring colapse. at least after it was clear the spurs would lose i got to see the last 5 minutes of the year.

btw the spurs have a two to three year window left i think with this team. If we can get a constant scorer, like a gilbert arenas or someone like that we could be back to contending. I honestly cant tell you i wouldnt be mad with us trading manu for someone of that quality, he has really dissapointed me as my hero. the lakers are gonna be dominant next year and maybe even the year after that

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
trickblue;2098990 said:
Kobe is a great player... but this season has proven that he DOES need the dominant big man to achieve playoff success...

Shaq was right...

Go Celts...

I would say that is most of it but he didn't ever have a guy that could take the scoring off his shoulders once Shaq left.

He now has a guy that put up 25 a game in Gasol and Odom is really the perfect guy to back those 2 up.

One guy can't win a championship.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Biggems;2098991 said:
Well we lost...we choked away another big lead and the series.

Be realistic... you didn't choke it away... you got beat after maintaining a huge lead... twice... to the better team...

It happens...

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
gazmc_06;2098119 said:
I didn't mean the effort was great for the entire game, I meant the push they made at the end. Down by 8 with just over a minute to go and having a shot to win the game, it was a very good last ditch effort, but over the course of the entire game LA played better and wanted it more.

I said before this series that I just felt the Lakers were the best team left. San Antonio are a great team, but the Lakers are faster, more athletic, have the best player and closer in the league, have a great coach and have a great bench...that is hard to overcome.

As for the foul, the Lakers should have been given the full 24 seconds on the shot clock after Fishers miss anyway, but I don't think it was a foul because he didn't interfere with Barry's shot. Barry pump-faked to get Fisher out of the way for his shot, he still got his shot the way he wanted, he should have jumped into Fisher and got the call but he didn't.

If the Spurs hit half the open shots they missed in this series, and I am talking about some wide open clankers they missed.....and if they box out to get defensive rebounds.....They win this series in 5....

The Lakers played good defense.....make no mistake about it, but their defense was not as good as the Spurs made it look. I will say this though, their effort on the glass was superb. They looked like the Portland Trailblazers of the 90s, the way they were attacking the glass for rebounds. If you dont remember those Portland teams, go back and look at their rebounding, they were consistently getting 50, 55, 60 rebounds a game....it was insane.

MC KAos

Reaction score
Nors;2098996 said:
I observed it all season long - Spurs offense was prone to going MIA - usually late in games.

Lakers major favorites to win it all now -

ya but so are the celtics and pistons, but all three teams won because of defense. thats why i ultimately think the lakers will beat the east in no more than five games, they play underrated defense and dont have the scoring droughts that the spurs, pistons, and even the celtics sometimes get.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
trickblue;2098999 said:
Be realistic... you didn't choke it away... you got beat after maintaining a huge lead... twice... to the better team...

It happens...

When you are the defending Champs and you have 2 large leads and lose, you choked....

MC KAos

Reaction score
i just hope the front office does something to improve the offense in the offseason, sign a free agent, trade for one, i dont care, we have to do something

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
MC KAos;2099001 said:
ya but so are the celtics and pistons, but all three teams won because of defense. thats why i ultimately think the lakers will beat the east in no more than five games, they play underrated defense and dont have the scoring droughts that the spurs, pistons, and even the celtics sometimes get.

MCkaos -

You have been selling Celtics short for running 9 months. There are 3 teams left and Celtics in the game tonight....Starting to rethink all that?

I'll have to revisit but Celtics tagged Lakers regular season....

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
I don't know what the stats were but it looked like the defense choked more than the offense. Parker was doing a good job in the 4th on scoring and although there were a few misses the spurs did a pretty good job. Where they screwed up was on their defense. They could not get a stop and couldn't rebound the very few shots the lakers missed at the end of the game (when it was still a 3/4 point game). It reminded me of game 4 of the 1st half :banghead:.

Now that hockey and basketball is done, now its time for the cowboys. Dam thats a longgggggg time from now.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
MC KAos;2099001 said:

You also said Celtics would get run out of Gym by Detroit -
at some point you need to reconcile this

cowheel

Reaction score
trickblue;2098990 said:
Kobe is a great player... but this season has proven that he DOES need the dominant big man to achieve playoff success...

Shaq was right...

Go Celts...

lol... dominant big man.
Gasol has definitely been dominant! lol

Gotta luv haters.

Guess Shaq needs a dominant 2 guard to win...

MC KAos

Reaction score
Nors;2099010 said:
MCkaos -

You have been selling Celtics short for running 9 months. There are 3 teams left and Celtics in the game tonight....Starting to rethink all that?

I'll have to revisit but Celtics tagged Lakers regular season....

whatever nors, the celtics never even played the lakers with gasol, and the spurs got swept by the cavs last year and look what happened. the celtics have their struggles on offense, their defense is great though. i think they might put up a better fight than we did, specially with home court advantage, but they wont lose, i guarantee it. BTW i wont be watching the finals so ill just take your word for whatever happens

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Duncan was 1 assist shy of a triple double. Barry showed he can handle the backup PG roll for next year. Bowen played his butt off as usual.

Isiah on a bad ankle, abuses the Lakers in the Finals...remember that game Laker fans?

Manu on a bad ankle....is useless, except for 1 game all series.

Well thanks for the trophies and memories Horry, Finley, and Vaughn. So long Stoudamire and Thomas.

Next year I see these players returning

C - Oberto, Bonner
PF - Duncan
SF - Bowen, Udoka
SG - Manu
PG - Parker, Barry

We will bring in Mahimni....but Splitter is staying in Europe.

We have 3 draft choices in the June draft. Since Splitter wont be coming over, I can see us getting a big man in the draft....maybe a Jason Thompson, the non lottery Lopez brother, Hardin, or even Dorsey. We need rebounding in a big way. We also need some solid shooting.

I would love to get Brandon Rush, DeVon Hardin, and Keith Brumbaugh.....then sign that Carter kid from A&M as a UDFA.

FAs I would like to see us go after are Diop, James Jones, and Roger Mason.

thekavorka

Reaction score
that last 3 by Sasha was incredible. the line was Spurs +8. there are going to be a lot of angry people

Goldenrichards83

Reaction score
My Lakers are finially back where we belong, in Championships. The black mamba strikes again. Great series Spurs but I wanted to beat the Champs and we did just that.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Goldenrichards83;2099025 said:
My Lakers are finially back where we belong, in Championships. The black mamba strikes again. Great series Spurs but I wanted to beat the Champs and we did just that.

even though the series went 4-1....for the most part the games were much closer than the series outcome...

im very upset and bitter that the Spurs lost...but at least they didnt quit......they fought till the end.

MC KAos

Reaction score
Nors;2099015 said:
You also said Celtics would get run out of Gym by Detroit -
at some point you need to reconcile this

i was mainly saying that to make your panties all in a wad. i actually think the celtics woul be a really good team if they had a decent coach. flip isnt much of a coach, phil will destroy him mentally. and the pistons series isnt over yet so i dotn know what your gloating about. oh, and its still the Leastern conference.

cowheel;2099017 said:
lol... dominant big man.
Gasol has definitely been dominant! lol

Gotta luv haters.

Guess Shaq needs a dominant 2 guard to win...

i dont think any player can win by himself, kobe cant do it without a good player around him, shaq is the same, duncan, wilt, MJ, bird, Magic, you name them, they all had great players around them. If you win, you win, it doesnt matter who your teammates are

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Oberto, Barry, Bowen

Major liabilities that need be flushed if they want to be in mix to win it all next year.