RELEASED Official: Witten notifies team he is retiring

GMO415

Reaction score
Don't panic Dallas, I know the Sarge aka Witten is gone, but ya'll be ok
tumblr_lu20p3PWkB1qaviyjo2_250.gif

GMO415

Reaction score
Witt beat out Payton who was expected to make $10 million annually.

rags747

Reaction score
A lot of tears in that room, as Jason said Jerry sure knows how to make an event memorable.

rags747

Reaction score
Hated the way it ended for Tony
I do too, but I think that is the way Tony wanted it...I believe it was his call. Would love to have seen Romo at a retirement press conference...it would have been phenomenal.

rags747

Reaction score
I remember when he was drafted. Thought he could be a good player, never expected a HOF player.
Great leader, great person, great player
Wish him the best with the rest of his career in the booth and maybe someday back on the sideline
I remember being so pissed that they did not grab him in the 2nd round as he was pretty much the highest rated TE that year, was ecstatic when they grabbed him in rnd 3. Was also ecstatic when they signed Romo as a FA, had read a few scouting rpts on how he was a small school qb who had the traits to hit it big. Good year that 03...

rags747

Reaction score
Funny how easily we want breathlessly to blame Garrett for not getting Witten a ring. Think about the facts. In 2014, Dez CAUGHT WHAT maybe the winning TD...or at least positioned the ball on the 1 inch line for the go ahead score and the win!!!!! That would have meant we go on to the Championship game against a team we already beat once in Seattle!!!! That's not on Garrett! HE HAS HIS FAULTS. But in 2014,he coached his arse off and if not for heist pulled off by a hometown referee, we likely are playin for a TITLE!! Garrett would be considered an elite HC if 2014 had turned out differently. I guess sometimes ignorance is bliss. God love Witten..but him not having a title isn't the HC' fault. Most of it falls on the players,and then that idiotic call by a ref in 2014. Those are the facts.
Agreed 100% and we would have beaten Seattle as we had the team to do it, Wilson is no Rogers.

ESisback

Reaction score
Yes, but now that we have the OL, running back, maybe a better defense, do we have the receivers? Without Witten or even with an aging Witten, would we have the tight ends? If not, then the passing game holds us back.

Garrett's process adds quality pieces slowly while filling in the blanks with stop-gaps. So far that's only resulted in quality pieces finishing their careers before the process is completed.

If I'm Witten, I don't see this team as being better than Philly right now or other championship contenders, so there's no reason to stick around for one more year.
Maybe, but making twice the money in a nice, climate controlled booth is pretty tempting. I think Jason knew he was slowing down, and couldn't beat himself up any more.

I submit that the overall receiving corps are actually BETTER now.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Not sure the kind of impact he's has.........notice the diverse of people lined up in appreciation as he walked in. I seriously doubt I'll see another Witten play for the Cowboys in my lifetime ( 15 years and only missed one game ).
Well done, thank you

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
His skills were eroding and he wasn't the player of 2007, but it's tough to see #82 retire. Durable, Tough, Leader.

Ccijcladac

Reaction score
Witten helluva career man helluva career. You solidified my credibility in evaluating & Scouting players.Yeah @ the time I was heavy into college football because We(Cowboys) were coming off three consecutive 5-11 losing seasons. I wanted to scout & see who were going to be bonified NFLERS.
I professed to even take u in the second. I knew we had a starter with our first pick although I was on the fence about Terrence Newman because I wanted Terrell Suggs@the time.I felt (@the time) we should address our Defensive line because we neglected it the previous year with the selection of Roy Williams but hey that's another story.

I just wanted a starter with that 3rd round pick. I wasn't impressed by all the Lucky's,Whalens, McGees&Campbells before you although I thought the latter two Tony Mcgee & Dan Campbell were serviceable. You are what I dreamed of in wanting u on the Dallas Cowboys. A reliable starter to supplant Dan Campbell. You've definitely been that Witt! Mr. Dependability & thoughout to, from Securing the catch from a badly thrown pass to lining up every Sunday giving your all. You personified being a pro being a professional.

Never did I have to worry about Witt missing a game. I can recall when there may have been a chance prior to the start of the 2012 season or it could have been 2013, I can't recall now I just remember being in Puerto Rico for my birthday (leo) & somehow I paid the dude from the resort a fee to get a Refrigerator & Tv/Cable box to get the pre season game vs the Raiders in our room. I'm in my Cowboys t-shirt with drink in hand getting ridiculed by my ole-lady how we play so well in the pre season but can't duplicate that in the regular season. Out of nowhere I hear a POP!!!!!! & a big POP to a playoff POP, a regular season POP definitely not a pre season POP. I'm livid...im mad ** @Rolondo McClain who ironically would go on to be Ur(Witten) teammate.My face know becomes concerned, my ole-lady senses the seriousness of it all & ceases teasing.I start to screaming out obscenities & proclaim this is the exact reason why I hate pre season games.
As big& ferocious as that hit was that eventually ruptured ur spleen. How u took it& ate it like a man& even wanted to continue in a meaningless pre season I came to revere u any more. I said u were going to be ok not knowing really were u& I was even on board with holding you out to u were completely healthy & completely cleared to play. I didn't even think about the streak I just knew how serious of injury that was@ that time. The will& determine or ur word grit u exemplified to get back healthy & play in the season opener is what Hall of famers are made of.

So long Witt, you have been the very best 3rd round pick in Cowboys history. A consummate professional and a reliable everyday every down player. Well done 82 see you in the Hall... where you belong.

LittleD

Reaction score
The production at tight end will drop significantly. Enjoy the "youth and athleticism", but Witten was still top half of the league in his current shape.

Meanwhile, we have a bunch of young nobodies.

Yes, right now we have 5 nobodies on the roster. Witten was a 3rd round draft pick that didn't have that much success in college. He came here
and learned the game from Parcels. These young pups will now have an opportunity to step up, play the game, and grab a starting role. One of
these guys will emerge, just like Witten, and fulfill his dream...just watch.

LittleD

Reaction score
Jason Witten's detail in with Y-Option is shocking to Jason Garrett.

I can't help but wonder why our coaches aren't the ones demanding that type of excellence from their players.

It's because none of our coaches know what excellence is! You can't demand what you yourself know nothing about.

TheBigEasy

Reaction score
I’m sorry your feelings are hurt and I don’t share your sentiments regarding Witten’s retirement.

Wish you luck

The guy gave FIFTEEN years of his life to play for the team that you supposedly cheer for. Something tells me that you have no clue as to the sacrifices he had to make and all the life changing moments he had to miss because he was playing for YOUR team. Fine, hate him as a player. As a man, he at least deserves some props.

Oh, no need to hide it anymore...we all know that you own a #82 jersey so feel free to represent. :clap:

uvaballa

Reaction score
Written is Mr. Cowboy for this generation.

He overcame a lot not having his dad around but always persevered.

I liked his dependability and durability comments. As Cowboy fans we’ve had many good/great players that weren’t very durable.

Can’t wait for his HOF induction.

foofighters

Reaction score
I’m sorry your feelings are hurt and I don’t share your sentiments regarding Witten’s retirement.

Wish you luck
and it's a shame you don't. Players like him only come around once in awhile. We have far too many Marty B types and far less Witten types.