RELEASED Official: Witten notifies team he is retiring

DFWJC

Reaction score
This guy is a Douchebag if he thinks JW isn't 1st ballot

He was a great player but didn't revolutionize the tight end position
Jason Witten is definitely a Hall of Famer, but I don't think he's first-ballot. First-ballot status should be reserved for the game-changers and revolutionaries at a certain position, and I don't see him as that. He is an excellent player with longevity and consistent production throughout his career. Yet, I'm not convinced that he revolutionized the position like some of the guys who have gone in before him. I give him credit as being a "gold jacket guy," just not the denotation of being first-ballot.
Brooks might be off here, but he's a really good dude.
Defibitely not a dbag

DFWJC

Reaction score
Funny how easily we want breathlessly to blame Garrett for not getting Witten a ring. Think about the facts. In 2014, Dez CAUGHT WHAT maybe the winning TD...or at least positioned the ball on the 1 inch line for the go ahead score and the win!!!!! That would have meant we go on to the Championship game against a team we already beat once in Seattle!!!! That's not on Garrett! HE HAS HIS FAULTS. But in 2014,he coached his arse off and if not for heist pulled off by a hometown referee, we likely are playin for a TITLE!! Garrett would be considered an elite HC if 2014 had turned out differently. I guess sometimes ignorance is bliss. God love Witten..but him not having a title isn't the HC' fault. Most of it falls on the players,and then that idiotic call by a ref in 2014. Those are the facts.
The infamous Patrick Crayton broken route for the game-winning TD in 2007 playoffs vs eventual Super Bowl Champ Giants. That was brutal too. The team probably would've eventually lost to the Pats that year, but the play call and pass were both perfect.

Of well.

HOF for Witten regardless

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
Great speech, great career and an even better man. God bless you Witten. You were a shining star in a tarnished franchise.

lukin2006

Reaction score
Man ... What an amazing 15 year career, an amazing person and so proud that he played his entire career for the cowboys ... well deserved retirement.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
This guy is a Douchebag if he thinks JW isn't 1st ballot

He was a great player but didn't revolutionize the tight end position
Jason Witten is definitely a Hall of Famer, but I don't think he's first-ballot. First-ballot status should be reserved for the game-changers and revolutionaries at a certain position, and I don't see him as that. He is an excellent player with longevity and consistent production throughout his career. Yet, I'm not convinced that he revolutionized the position like some of the guys who have gone in before him. I give him credit as being a "gold jacket guy," just not the denotation of being first-ballot.
We’ve talked about it before but Witten is almost certainly NOT going to be a first ballot HOFer. No TE has ever done so, and Witten doesn’t even have the best résumé of the people who had to wait. We should probably wait to see what happens with Tony G., but I suspect regardless of what happens Witten will follow historical precedent and go in on the 3rd or 4th try.

LowTech

the most important member
Reaction score
I’ve seen many great Cowboys retire. It doesn’t get any easier.

lwehlers

Reaction score
end of era that is for sure. Jason witten will be one of my favorite cowboys of all time. I hope that the hall of fame does not make him wait to long to induct him where he belongs. also jerry jones needs to put him the ring of honor as soon as possible. right now I do not have a favorite cowboys on this current team. I just hope that this team can move on and win and hopefully some one steps up and takes wittens place as the leader of this current team.

lwehlers

Reaction score
Another great Cowboy career wasted. To have Romo, T.O., Witten, Ware in their primes at the same time and not win a Super Bowl is criminal.:mad:

there will be other players who play for this team that will have there career wasted because of the leadership this team.

DFWJC

Reaction score
NFL network keeps showing highlight, but they're all from the last two years with older Witt and Dak.
No offense, but the great highlights are before then.
Show at least a few.
:flagwave:

Cowboy-33

Reaction score
Does anybody have a link of entire press conference? I can only find small snips ofhim walking in.