Officially the worst offseason ever?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
7 Pages in and the obvious hasn't kicked in yet?
Dallas has been the best drafting team in football the last decade. The Best.
Arguing they shouldn't count on rookies means that person has no idea what they are talking about.

All off-seasons are a mix of drafting/FA then holding on to see what players mess up. It's the nature of the business.

Dallas uses every other FA cycle to collect supp picks by letting higher priced dudes walk.
It keeps the cap manageable by offering more lower priced draftees and avoiding overpaying for good but not stellar talent.
We did that this year so FA looks like a net loss but in reality you gain 4 picks next year.

As to windows and aspirations... this is a very young team who will not surprise anyone. They aren't in a 1 year window and aren't a Super Bowl 'favorite'.
But you would love to go win a playoff game or 2 and continue to develop the roster towards being a legit dynasty by hitting on young defensive talent to match the offense.
There's probably not a GM in football that would trade their roster for the Dallas Cowboys. This team is built to win for 5-7 years minimum.

DAL tried the 100m contract to an aging Romo, the massive deal for Dez and the addition of top FA like Greg Hardy as a pass rusher.
That doesn't built a team, it builds Pro Bowlers.
Dallas has done a great job of building through the draft and taking advantage of supplemental picks.
This boring off-season is what you see for winning teams.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
DAL tried the 100m contract to an aging Romo, the massive deal for Dez and the addition of top FA like Greg Hardy as a pass rusher.
None of those deals were bad for DAL and they all would repeated today.......even GHardy was only a 1yr/8.8m deal....... we need to sign a couple stars next year when we have 30m in cap space and a super young roster......we are in great shape but you can always add a Pro Bowler or two

and they will give happily Dak 100m+ in a couple years and EE 50m.....there is cap floor and you pay to keep stars in DAL

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Dallas uses every other FA cycle to collect supp picks by letting higher priced dudes walk.
It keeps the cap manageable by offering more lower priced draftees and avoiding overpaying for good but not stellar talent.
We did that this year so FA looks like a net loss but in reality you gain 4 picks next year.
This is all true but Comp picks is a year to year program...... next year we don't have a lot of good FAs leaving...... the most we would get is a bunch of 6s and 7s.....it is not worth forgoing FA for that

Plus we will have a ton of cap space...........next year is the year to bunch a few big FAs....... it doesn't have to be a philosophy change, just a timely shopping spree

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
This is all true but Comp picks is a year to year program...... next year we don't have a lot of good FAs leaving...... the most we would get is a bunch of 6s and 7s.....it is not worth forgoing FA for that

Plus we will have a ton of cap space...........next year is the year to bunch a few big FAs....... it doesn't have to be a philosophy change, just a timely shopping spree
Note my first line: "Dallas uses every other FA cycle".
If they have gaps they want to fill they will do so next year.
But I still don't see them going in for big ticket guys.
Stephen Jones has stated those guys have been bad investments by and large across the league.
They'd rather invest in young talent that is still developing.

This isn't Jerry's team anymore.

robbieruff

Reaction score
While New England reloaded for another Super Bowl, I can't help but feel like this offseason has gone off the rails for us. I am trying to be optimistic, and I love our core, but I fear that the tumult of this offseason will result in a pretty big step back on the field this year. And it will take another year for us to reach our Super Bowl potential. In a nutshell:

1. Jerry misplays the Romo situation and we get nothing for a franchise QB who still can play.
2. We make no free agent signings of note and lose 3/4 of our starting DBs (which I was OK with) and 2/5 of our starting OL.
3. We miss out on all of the speed pass rushers in the first round of the draft (and allow Atlanta to leapfrog us for the last one) and draft yet another LDE.
4. Our most promising pass rusher and disruptor, David Irving, gets suspended 4 games, continuing a pattern set by D Law and Gregory.
5. Our starting SLB, and best coverage LB, Damien Wilson, assaults a woman with his car and pulls a rifle on her friends. No doubt, he'll be suspended for a long time.
6. Our franchise RB may be suspended, according to John Clayton.
7. Even our choir boy QB and leader is accused of fraud, for selling memorabilia he did not sign by hand.

On top of this, we have a very difficult first place schedule. I am excited for our future. But, in all honesty, I expect to be diaappointed this season.

As bad as your list is (some things are still TBD), I would have to say FOR ME the worst offseasons were after 93 SB (Jimmy's resignation/firing) and after the 95 SB (Michael Irvin's debacle was emblematic of a culture that led to the string of suspensions that included Leon Lett and Shante Carver, among other issues)...not as many shoes dropped as this offseason but certainly none equal to those past incidences in terms of magnitude.

TrailBlazer

Reaction score
Par for the course. We always have suspensions. Letting Carr, Mo, Church, and Leary walk were all the right moves.

JBond

Reaction score
While New England reloaded for another Super Bowl, I can't help but feel like this offseason has gone off the rails for us. I am trying to be optimistic, and I love our core, but I fear that the tumult of this offseason will result in a pretty big step back on the field this year. And it will take another year for us to reach our Super Bowl potential. In a nutshell:

1. Jerry misplays the Romo situation and we get nothing for a franchise QB who still can play.
2. We make no free agent signings of note and lose 3/4 of our starting DBs (which I was OK with) and 2/5 of our starting OL.
3. We miss out on all of the speed pass rushers in the first round of the draft (and allow Atlanta to leapfrog us for the last one) and draft yet another LDE.
4. Our most promising pass rusher and disruptor, David Irving, gets suspended 4 games, continuing a pattern set by D Law and Gregory.
5. Our starting SLB, and best coverage LB, Damien Wilson, assaults a woman with his car and pulls a rifle on her friends. No doubt, he'll be suspended for a long time.
7. Even our choir boy QB and leader is accused of fraud, for selling memorabilia he did not sign by hand.

On top of this, we have a very difficult first place schedule. I am excited for our future. But, in all honesty, I expect to be diaappointed this season.
Not even close to the worst. No one has been stabbed in the neck in the locker room. No one ran into a tree.

JBond

Reaction score
Dallas is all about the draft.

We do the same thing every offseason and if we improve or not depends on how our draft was.

So we won't know what kind of offseason we had until we see the rookies and how they contribute.

It's hard to be patient and give a guy 3 years to develop with our team because we get talent from nowhere else besides the draft.
I'm fine being reliant on the draft. Besides Dion and Haley, we have not done very well with bringing in outside guys.

Reaction score
I'm just sick that EE is going to get suspended for the Giants game (at least). Really takes the joy out of opening night. I hate Goodell and this NFL

Reaction score
7 Pages in and the obvious hasn't kicked in yet?
Dallas has been the best drafting team in football the last decade. The Best.
Arguing they shouldn't count on rookies means that person has no idea what they are talking about.

All off-seasons are a mix of drafting/FA then holding on to see what players mess up. It's the nature of the business.

As to windows and aspirations... this is a very young team who will not surprise anyone. They aren't in a 1 year window and aren't a Super Bowl 'favorite'.
But you would love to go win a playoff game or 2 and continue to develop the roster towards being a legit dynasty by hitting on young defensive talent to match the offense.
There's probably not a GM in football that would trade their roster for the Dallas Cowboys. This team is built to win for 5-7 years minimum.

That doesn't built a team, it builds Pro Bowlers.
Dallas has done a great job of building through the draft and taking advantage of supplemental picks.
This boring off-season is what you see for winning teams.

If it wasn't for the suspensions, I could stomach the free agent dormancy. But looks like we will lose 3 starters for some amount of games. Even great drafting cannot compensate when your best players aren't on the field for a full season.

Gameover

Reaction score

13-3