Officially the worst offseason ever?

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
we replaced romo with a 4th round rookie last year.
nothing we've done this off-season would be considered as risky or terrible.
the unproven rookies will determine the success of this off-season... like it does 99% of the time.

And Anthony Brown played last year as a rookie cb, starting after Mo's injury. Pretty sure the rookie cbs this year can play no worse.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
They aren't all rookies

We added NCarroll to replace Carr and promoted Heath to replace Church/Wilcox.....ball skills greatly improved...... and the rookies we added are pretty good prospects

We obviously disagree about of DL..... I like this year's version 10x better than last year
Carroll is a cast off that got a dui and will be suspended. Heath is a career backup that couldnt even beat out Wilcox. If you are counting on guys like that to get us over the top, then you are really reaching. A couple rookies seem like great prospects. But again, if you are counting on rookies to get us over the top then you are stretching it. Dak and Zeke aside. Even a guy like Collins, he was good, but he wasnt a world beater as a rookie.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Hard to say. Yes, rookies have a learning curve, but we saw last year how two rookies can transform an offense. While that's not the norm, it's definitely the case that rookies come in and improve teams all over the NFL in any given season.

Along the defensive front 7, we've added Taco, Tapper, and Jaylon, and Paea. And lost J. Crawford and McClain. That probably works out to be a moderate upgrade.

Elliott's contract wasn't all that cheap, since he was the #4 pick overall. And we're still carrying Tony's big deal, so that window you (and I) are both looking forward to isn't really open just yet.

Finally, we do have a young team at most positions. It's reasonable to believe players are going to improve with reps and time working together. That includes guys like Dak and Elliott, but also the backup guys who only get snaps in limited position groups and on STs. That stuff matters, though. And the rookies who are playing key roles will start out rookies, but will be getting better and more comfortable as the year wears one. What we'll probably see if those picks pan out is more uneven play early, offset by improvement over last year's status quo as the season wears on.

I expect this year's team to be better than last years by the time the end of the season rolls around. Barring significant injuries, of course. I'm not expecting to go 13-3 again, though.

Yet you mention nothing of the current suspensions on the D or the ones coming. And then of course we know nothing of preseason injuries as you mention.

Are you really suggesting that pea is better than Crawford and McClain? Please.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yet you mention nothing of the current suspensions on the D or the ones coming. And then of course we know nothing of preseason injuries as you mention.

Are you really suggesting that pea is better than Crawford and McClain? Please.

I didn't mention suspensions because it didn't occur to me. But the 'nice' thing about having guys suspended every year is that it evens things out for threads like this. Last year we had Gregory go down for 16 games, Rolando McClain took his victory lap, and we lost Lawrence for 4 weeks for PEDs. So, pretty much the same thing we have this year until anything changes.

For the DL, I clearly said Tapper + Taco + Paea works out to be a moderate upgrade to what we lost with J Crawford and McClain. What I actually expect to happen is we'll play Paea in rotation on running downs and rotate T Crawford and Collins and Thornton the rest of the time. That rotation makes us a bit more predictable, but it won't be appreciably worse than what we had last year. It'll be offset by a better DE rotation than we had last season, because I expect Tapper and Taco to both be a minor improvement over Jack Crawford and Richard Ash.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If a couple of these 2017 draft picks show they can play we will be saying back to back great offseasons in November

We've also got Jaylon Smith, Rico, and Tapper coming back from last year's class. Each of those guys has a shot. On top of what Collins and Brown already have given us. That draft was potentially a huge boost for this franchise.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I didn't mention suspensions because it didn't occur to me. But the 'nice' thing about having guys suspended every year is that it evens things out for threads like this. Last year we had Gregory go down for 16 games, Rolando McClain took his victory lap, and we lost Lawrence for 4 weeks for PEDs. So, pretty much the same thing we have this year until anything changes.

For the DL, I clearly said Tapper + Taco + Paea works out to be a moderate upgrade to what we lost with J Crawford and McClain. What I actually expect to happen is we'll play Paea in rotation on running downs and rotate T Crawford and Collins and Thornton the rest of the time. That rotation makes us a bit more predictable, but it won't be appreciably worse than what we had last year. It'll be offset by a better DE rotation than we had last season, because I expect Tapper and Taco to both be a minor improvement over Jack Crawford and Richard Ash.

Im in on the slight improvement thing with the DE's. And lawrence is healthier thus far and in a contract year.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Im in on the slight improvement thing with the DE's. And lawrence is healthier thus far and in a contract year.

You and I actually have been pretty much in agreement when it comes to our defense the last few years. We ignore it or try to fix it with long shots and prayers, and it's gotten us beat in the playoffs.

I do think we upgraded the defensive talent overall this offseason. Just not enough. And I think we should expect uneven play to begin with and for things to get better as they play together. Losing Wilson, though, if he's suspended some or all of this year, it a big blow, because he's a guy they were quietly buzzing about.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Carroll is a cast off that got a dui and will be suspended. Heath is a career backup that couldnt even beat out Wilcox. If you are counting on guys like that to get us over the top, then you are really reaching. A couple rookies seem like great prospects. But again, if you are counting on rookies to get us over the top then you are stretching it. Dak and Zeke aside. Even a guy like Collins, he was good, but he wasnt a world beater as a rookie.
Nice strawman.....I never said we were solely relying on them........another reply said we only had rookies in the DBs.....I was pointing out we have vets as well

In fact no rookies will start IMO

CB- Anthony Brown and N Carroll
Slot CB- O Scandrick
FS- BJones
SS- Heath

now add the rookies......Cheeto, JLewis, XWoods and MWhite...... I'm in

same with the DL.........add Tapper, Taco and Paea to TCrawford, DLaw, Irving, MCollins, Mayowa and that is a very solid rotation.....better than last year

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
You and I actually have been pretty much in agreement when it comes to our defense the last few years. We ignore it or try to fix it with long shots and prayers, and it's gotten us beat in the playoffs.

I do think we upgraded the defensive talent overall this offseason. Just not enough. And I think we should expect uneven play to begin with and for things to get better as they play together. Losing Wilson, though, if he's suspended some or all of this year, it a big blow, because he's a guy they were quietly buzzing about.

I agree. A year or two down the road we should see big dividends on these young guys. But especially early in the first half of the year I see struggles in the secondary.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Nice strawman.....I never said we were solely relying on them........another reply said we only had rookies in the DBs.....I was pointing out we have vets as well

In fact no rookies will start IMO

CB- Anthony Brown and N Carroll
Slot CB- O Scandrick
FS- BJones
SS- Heath

now add the rookies......Cheeto, JLewis, XWoods and MWhite...... I'm in

same with the DL.........add Tapper, Taco and Paea to TCrawford, DLaw, Irving, MCollins, Mayowa and that is a very solid rotation.....better than last year

Carrol and Heath make us better than last year? The DUI Carroll cast off? Talk about hoping on a prayer. And how much better could they actually make us if it actually became a miracle and happened? So tell me how the 4th safety on the roster is going to be better then two guys ahead of him last year?

Flawed logic to say the least.

You have no idea about Tapper what so ever. No one does. PAEA? Who the heck is that?

80% of all the guys you listed on DL we had last year. How does that make us better? More flawed logic. Irving is suspended. Only really good hope for a pass rush. Taco is a rookie. AGain, not going to set the world on fire. You might have a point a year or so down the line.

DC Cowboy

Reaction score
I would not got that far as worse offseason ever. I understand all your points. However I totally disagree with alot of Cowboys fans when they say this team will be great. I totally disagree. I think they will.struggle to miss the playoffs. However I feel great about the future of this team for the first time in a long long time. I just don't think we are as good as some thinks we are. I don't trust this defense at all. Not at all. Dak as much as love him and he will be a star in this league , there is just no way he will have the magical sesisn he had last year. He will be great. I know he will be. But he prob has a worst year ( which if not.compared to last year would be a good year for a second year guy ) Im not completely sold on Garrett as a head coach either. I hope he proves me wrong , but this team has a hard time stringing winning seasons together. So we will see. Im excited as hell for the season to start and I hope im wrong ( im wrong alot ). Also we pretty much stayed healthy all year, something that never ever happened with this team for many years. So keep our fingers crossed

I still think we are missing a pass rusher as well. Which ultimately will hurt our young secondary.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree. A year or two down the road we should see big dividends on these young guys. But especially early in the first half of the year I see struggles in the secondary.

We won't struggle with the S position, probably, given Heath has logged some seasons in DAL and Frazier will be going into year 2.

If we have real issues at CB, at least with the guys we added we'll have the option of playing man. We've got four guys who can play man legitimately, and we know Marinelli doesn't mind doing it. Of course, it's better if they pick up the zones quickly and give us options, but I don't see how it ends up a train wreck. We will probably have to take a step back before we can take one forward, though.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not to call anyone out or anything like that...just want to make a point. I see Irving and Carroll (and whoever else) getting used as reasons to be concerned or whatever. Those aren't year long suspensions. They will be back. Games in December and January mean more than September. Carry on.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
We won't struggle with the S position, probably, given Heath has logged some seasons in DAL and Frazier will be going into year 2.

If we have real issues at CB, at least with the guys we added we'll have the option of playing man. We've got four guys who can play man legitimately, and we know Marinelli doesn't mind doing it. Of course, it's better if they pick up the zones quickly and give us options, but I don't see how it ends up a train wreck. We will probably have to take a step back before we can take one forward, though.

I agree on all of that. If Scandric can be healthy and man one side and thomas on the other improved from last year that will be fine. Maybe Awuzie slips in as slot guy could improve things.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Not to call anyone out or anything like that...just want to make a point. I see Irving and Carroll (and whoever else) getting used as reasons to be concerned or whatever. Those aren't year long suspensions. They will be back. Games in December and January mean more than September. Carry on.

Agreed, but when guys typically miss the first 4 games they either have down years or come back and get nagging injuries the whole year.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Carrol and Heath make us better than last year? The DUI Carroll cast off? Talk about hoping on a prayer. And how much better could they actually make us if it actually became a miracle and happened? So tell me how the 4th safety on the roster is going to be better then two guys ahead of him last year?

Flawed logic to say the least.

You have no idea about Tapper what so ever. No one does. PAEA? Who the heck is that?

80% of all the guys you listed on DL we had last year. How does that make us better? More flawed logic. Irving is suspended. Only really good hope for a pass rush. Taco is a rookie. AGain, not going to set the world on fire. You might have a point a year or so down the line.

Flawed logic is better than Haterade.......all those guys we had last year...Church, Carr, Mo, Wilcox.....pretty much sucked at playing the secondary........ you are obsessed with a DUI charge........get over it.........and Heath already showed more ball skills than all of those guys......they played because of seniority and bad coaching

You just want to be miserable as usual and you are doing a great job at it.......good luck with your predictions.......maybe then you can smile

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Flawed logic is better than Haterade.......all those guys we had last year...Church, Carr, Mo, Wilcox.....pretty much sucked at playing the secondary........ you are obsessed with a DUI charge........get over it.........and Heath already showed more ball skills than all of those guys......they played because of seniority and bad coaching

You just want to be miserable as usual and you are doing a great job at it.......good luck with your predictions.......maybe then you can smile

I was happy to see all of those jokers leave. But cant deny they had a solid year last year. MIraculously. So you are claiming that Heath is better than those guys and that Garrett simply was a moron for keeping him on the bench all this time?

Well...........I can go with that one. Garrett has done that time and time again. Miserable? Im quite excited about the season. But you want to talk details about the defense, then reality is going to be dealt. You can wave all the pom poms you want, it doesnt make something happen.

DUI charges. That is what gets guys suspended. Unless you are going to wave your pom poms at that also.

Yippeee another suspension!!!! LOL OR maybe you are just incapable of seeing the reality of that.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Like Tom Brady and Leveon Bell

Do you understand what the word "typically means"?

Would you consider Bell and Brady to be typical players?

How about Gregory, Lawrence, McClain? Some nice home town examples for you. A little more REALITY for you.