Offseason predictions

reddyuta

Reaction score
this team is destined for much tougher times in the coming seasons,there is no way we can make this defense even a middle of the pack defense as every aspect of it broken or it terminal decline. the one thing jerry can do is take out the incompitent garrett and let a new coach use all of talent to become a more realiable offense.

Dodger12

Reaction score
I have lived through the drought from 1977 through 1992 and the current one as well.

What are you talking about? What drought did we have from 77 to 92 that in any way compares to the current drought? We made to 3 straight NFC Championship games in the early 80's and were perennial playoff contenders. Honestly, you're defining that as a "drought" and comparing it to the current state of this franchise and then wonder why posters question this lunacy?
Good posters, very knowledgeable posters have left and it is because of all the negative crap.

No, they haven't. They left because they hitched their horses to the Jason Garrett bandwagon and now they can't face the music; they lost a lot of cred calling others out for questioning a HC with no legitimate coaching experience at any level except as a QB coach. These were legitimate questions at the time and I was initially pro-Garrett but I never took offense to the opposing view view because this is a message board used for dialogue and debate. Notice how some of these folks came back after a win a couple of weeks ago and the other NFC teams had lost and things are looking good for the playoffs. We controlled our own destiny after a two game winning streak and laid an egg the following week against Chicago and then the improbable loss against GB. Guess what, they disappeared again because they couldn't defend their sacred cow after the GB fiasco. Believe me, if the Cowboys should win this Sunday and miraculously win a playoff game, these same posters you're referring to will be back in force towing the company line and saying "I told you so" and hop back on the JG bandwagon.

Dodger12

Reaction score
The rodents left this site when they couldn't defend their positions and longer. They have there Own place now where they can play in fantasy land.

Beat me to the punch jnday......100% correct.

Dodger12

Reaction score
And this is a good example: You started a good thread.
Well thought, well written and simply speculating about the offseason.
Something that COULD generate some good speculative conversation.

But we have to have guys like Visionary who have to defecate on everything. Including innocent speculative threads.

Let me ask you a serious question. The Op started a thread and made the following statement:

Some won't like it I am sure, but I really feel that this team is just some good health and some fresh blood on the DL away from being a Super Bowl contender.

Visionary highlighted this part of his post and asked the Op for some clarification:

what does "SB contender" mean?
give me some hard facts like 2 play off wins next year?

Was the response/question too hard for the Op to answer? Did the Op start a thread not expecting any dialogue or debate or follow-up commentary/questions? Was it too tough for the Op to clarify his position?

And you call this question "defecating" on a thread?

For a guy who opened his post with "Well- I ask no quarter and I expect none, the same. Don't expect me to go gently into that good night," you sure are sensitive to a poster who asked for further explanation and and clarification.

visionary

Reaction score
Let me ask you a serious question. The Op started a thread and made the following statement:

Visionary highlighted this part of his post and asked the Op for some clarification:

Was the response/question too hard for the Op to answer? Did the Op start a thread not expecting any dialogue or debate or follow-up commentary/questions? Was it too tough for the Op to clarify his position?

For a guy who opened his post with "Well- I ask no quarter and I expect none, the same. Don't expect me to go gently into that good night," you sure are sensitive to a poster who asked for further explanation and and clarification.

it is all because these guys make threads about how good things are suddenly going to be but when they are asked to clarify why, they get all defensive and upset

our GM/director of player personnel/HC and co-ordinators would not be hired in their current capacity by any NFL team including the jags or the raiders (these are the key positions for the long-term success of any franchise so let that sink in for a second)

our best players, romo, witten, ware are declining
lee is constantly hurt
the youth you could point to, that helps long term, would be Dez, tyron, and fred

we havent made the playoffs in several years

if you think that drafting a couple of DL guys will make us SB contenders, please tell me why?
wouldnt a more realistic goal be to try and make the playoffs and win a couple of games?

i have been on this board since its inception and have been on the old DMN board, so i have communicated with these posters for years and have seen these same posts year after year

i was a supporter of JG initially but shouldnt 'believe' and 'faith' eventually be trumped by actual results?

i can honestly say that unfortunately the jerry/garrett circus has brought the franchise to a level that rivals the days of dave campo

Fredd

Reaction score
Getting back to the point, I have 3 scenarios as to what I see...Scenario #1 is unlikely (putting it mildly), Scenario 2 has a possibility and is what I think NEEDS to happen, Scenario 3 is how I see it actually going:

In Each scenario, I see the following player movement:

Offense:
1) Bernadeau has earned his way on to the team on a semi-permanent basis. sign him to a reasonable 2 or 3 year deal to back up all interior line positions - make no mistakes here, he shouldn't be the starter unless injuries bring him into the game
2) For the love of God, commit one way or the other to the two TE set. IMO, I like the idea of doing this and Witten/Escobar should both be on the field together a lot; but, if the coaches can't do anything with it, then scrap the idea and potentially cut hanna in the process
3) Miles Austin - tough decisions need to be made and this isn't one of them; his brittle hammies seem to infect the entire team; cut bait with this guy unless he takes a DRASTIC pay cut to stay. At best, he should not be relied upon to be the #1 or #2 WR and thus, time for him to go
4) Try to bring Waters back for one more season; the guy is up there in age but proved that he belonged in the league; I want him more for his tutelage of the rest of the line; they seemed to learn a lot from him and the unit improved while he was in there and continued to improve after he was gone
5) DRAFT - select an interior OL in the first 3 picks; if a QB is there after the first round that is a potential starter in the league (i.e.: Bortles, McCarron, Mettenberg, Murray), then pull the trigger if they are there in the 3rd or later...I think our pick in the 2nd will be too high for a QB

Defense:
1) Time to part ways with Mr Ware - this is the definition of tough decision; a HOF/ROH player and if he is willing to take a Free-esque pay cut, then I would welcome him back - not at his current projections; I see him being cut after June 1st
2) DL - Hatcher, loved what he did for the team this year but I think he has priced himself out of the DC roster; Spencer, wouldn't mind seeing him back but not in a bidding war; if he doesn't get what he likes in FA, then sign him to a 1 year deal to "earn" his next payday; he owes us one...fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, then our FO sucks; Selvie and Hayden stay and we welcome back Crawford and Bass; the rest of the guys on the line should be fighting in TC just to make the team or they go back to bagging groceries...next year's DL needs to have a rotation that applies pressure without using blitzes as much as possible
3) Upgrade the DL with smart FA picks of YOUNG players - not sure who is available right now, but we don't need superstars, we need guys that when it is their turn, they produce
4) Continue to develop LBs and DB's; I think if healthy, we may have the right group there now; the problem is they can't stay healthy; guys like Sims would be gone in favor of keeping the younger guys like Holloman on the roster
5) Draft - first pick NEEDS to be DL, preferably a pass rusher if Ware is gone. I would like to see another DL in the first 3 picks depending on who is there (see offense draft as well - if we get a QB for example, then 4th rounder should be DL);

Scenario #1: JJ steps back, hires someone to be a legit football GM; I would love someone like Roger Staubach with his football background, familiarity to the team and business sense. Allow Roger to make the decision to keep or jettison any of the coaches, including Garrett. If he dumps Garrett and hires a new guy, give that coach some say in the players that he wants.

Scenario #2: JJ gets a new Head Coach, this time, he gets someone with experience as a head coach at some level; NFL experience as a HC trumps good college coaches (like Shaw, O'Brien, etc.); Let the HC decide whether to keep the OC and DC and if changes to either or both, then get on the stick immediately to put the plan together; this needs to happen, minimally, a month prior to the draft

Scenario #3: Garrett stays as head coach; someone is the fall guy for a 3rd straight average season (average only in record, not expectations - we are way below average there); Callahan is removed from play-caller and either Garrett takes that back over or they actually hire someone with an offensive mind-set to run the offense. Callahan stays on as OL coach, where he should be. I believe that Kiffin stays as well. He could not adjust on the fly and that alone should get him canned, but the enormous number of injuries to the DL is what caused this historic failure of the defense. No pressure on any NFL QB means that they can just sit there and survey the field. Must get healthy and instill pressure much like they instilled turnovers.

the bottom line for me is that changes MUST occur for this team to move to something better than fence-riders once again. Regardless of FO/coaching changes, the player moves must happen if they want to think of the future. The draft should be focused early on the lines with heavier focus on DL. As mentioned, if the right QB fell into our pick in the middle of the 3rd round, then pony up and take him, otherwise, stay the course of building the defense, with a hint of interior OL.

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
In other words, if the stars align, and eveything goes right with my team we will wit the SB... What if we draft a new DL and healthy and our DL ends up sucking still?

Well, you kinda just described the last 3 or 4 SB winners. Any more, just gettingbtonthevpkayoffs makes you a SB contender.

cml750

Reaction score
My predictions???

Garrett stays as well as the rest of the staff! I don't think Jerry axes Kiffen seeing we still had the same issues after firing Ryan.

We go heavy on d-linemen in the draft and possibly sign a free agent or two.

Next year we go 8-8 for the fourth season in a row with Garrett blowing anywhere from 2 to 4 games with idiotic game management.

2015??? Rinse and repeat!!!!

blindzebra

Reaction score

I did answer it...but I am used to you guys not actually understanding anything that is not negative.

blindzebra

Reaction score
What are you talking about? What drought did we have from 77 to 92 that in any way compares to the current drought? We made to 3 straight NFC Championship games in the early 80's and were perennial playoff contenders. Honestly, you're defining that as a "drought" and comparing it to the current state of this franchise and then wonder why posters question this lunacy?

No, they haven't. They left because they hitched their horses to the Jason Garrett bandwagon and now they can't face the music; they lost a lot of cred calling others out for questioning a HC with no legitimate coaching experience at any level except as a QB coach. These were legitimate questions at the time and I was initially pro-Garrett but I never took offense to the opposing view view because this is a message board used for dialogue and debate. Notice how some of these folks came back after a win a couple of weeks ago and the other NFC teams had lost and things are looking good for the playoffs. We controlled our own destiny after a two game winning streak and laid an egg the following week against Chicago and then the improbable loss against GB. Guess what, they disappeared again because they couldn't defend their sacred cow after the GB fiasco. Believe me, if the Cowboys should win this Sunday and miraculously win a playoff game, these same posters you're referring to will be back in force towing the company line and saying "I told you so" and hop back on the JG bandwagon.

So all you guys do is complain about being competitive but not winning Super Bowls and when I highlight 2 periods between Super Bowls and call them droughts it is lunacy...lol

If stupidity could replace oil this forum could put the Middle East out of business.

cml750

Reaction score
I did answer it...but I am used to you guys not actually understanding anything that is not negative.

Why does it bother you so much when people are unhappy with mediocrity? This is a message board for all fans whether we are happy with the status quo or not.

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
As well as a whole bunch of playoff losers...

What's your point? 11 teams are losing in the playoffs every year, whether they just sneak in, or come in 13-3. But they're all contenders, which was a point of the OP.

Dodger12

Reaction score

OK. If you say so, although the irony is that your response was not a response at all. Just more negative gibberish that you claim to despise and brings the board down.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Why does it bother you so much when people are unhappy with mediocrity? This is a message board for all fans whether we are happy with the status quo or not.

The opinion does not bother me, the spamming of every thread with the same crap by multiple posters does.

Dodger12

Reaction score
So all you guys do is complain about being competitive but not winning Super Bowls and when I highlight 2 periods between Super Bowls and call them droughts it is lunacy...lol

If stupidity could replace oil this forum could put the Middle East out of business.

I guess you would consider this an answer to the question, just like you thought you answered a question earlier with a negative response. I won't go calling you stupid or any other names, but I think you're showing your true colors.

I don't think anyone, other than you, would consider 77 to 92 a drought similar to what we're seeing here. You talk about SB contender in your thread yet we contended with 3 straight NFC Championship game appearances and multiple playoff appearances during the period you consider a drought. So if we make to the playoffs and make some noise next year, then by your logic you probably wouldn't consider us SB contenders since you feel that we were in a "drought" when we knocked on the doorstep 3 straight years?

Save yourself the embarrassment and just quit while your behind and not completely buried.

cml750

Reaction score
The opinion does not bother me, the spamming of every thread with the same crap by multiple posters does.

Just overlook it or use the ignore feature if you have to(although I think using the ignore feature is silly). You don't have to reply to all the post you don't like. Nobody is going to change their mind from arguments on a message board. You know what they say about opinions, they are like butt holes, we all have one and they ALL stink. My opinion holds no more weight than yours. It is not healthy to let yourself get that worked up. Relax a little and have a Merry Christmas BZ!!!!!!!

khiladi

Reaction score
What's your point? 11 teams are losing in the playoffs every year, whether they just sneak in, or come in 13-3. But they're all contenders, which was a point of the OP.

My point is that teams that sneak in and play average usually don't win the SB. Further, Records don't necessarily reflect good or bad teams, by the end of the year. The Ravens sucked in the beginning of the year and had a bad streak where they couldn't contain the run. They fired their OC, got Suggs back and were playing well. The Giants weren't healthy through the year, but they were when the playoffs came around. These teams also showed throughout the year they could beat winning teams, despite their record. Our record on the other hand versus winning teams has consistently been horrendous. Our play normally gets bad December time, which is why we lose when the playoffs are on the line, I.e.. To us they are playoff games.

blindzebra

Reaction score
I guess you would consider this an answer to the question, just like you thought you answered a question earlier with a negative response. I won't go calling you stupid or any other names, but I think you're showing your true colors.

I don't think anyone, other than you, would consider 77 to 92 a drought similar to what we're seeing here. You talk about SB contender in your thread yet we contended with 3 straight NFC Championship game appearances and multiple playoff appearances during the period you consider a drought. So if we make to the playoffs and make some noise next year, then by your logic you probably wouldn't consider us SB contenders since you feel that we were in a "drought" when we knocked on the doorstep 3 straight years?

Save yourself the embarrassment and just quit while your behind and not completely buried.

So the final Landry years were better than the current years?

Buried? Not.