Oh Silver Bear

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Biggems;2434812 said:
If Kindle comes out and he is there in the 2nd......i would be very pleased if we picked him

I am hijacking my thread back........

Lots of luck with that, ol' buddy... it's hard to break it up when two guys are determined to measure their johnsons...

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
ThatsmyQB;2434914 said:
Question, why isnt' he playing M.L.B.?

Is someone bigger then him on the team playing that position?
Cause I am assuming you want him to be our Inside L.B., and was just wonderign why the team wouldn't put him at M.L.B. in college with his size,

do you think he can he convert to I.L.B. in the 3-4?

Weakside ILB, yes; strongside ILB, no...

In a 3-4, the strongside ILB is more similar to a traditional 4-3 MLB, you want him stuffing the run... the weakside ILB has to cover TEs, backs out of the backfield, so he needs more speed and cover ability, which you usually associate with 4-3 OLBs...

Kindle is in fact very similar to Kevin Burnett in playing style...

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
silverbear;2435708 said:

In a 3-4, the strongside ILB is more similar to a traditional 4-3 MLB, you want him stuffing the run... the weakside ILB has to cover TEs, backs out of the backfield, so he needs more speed and cover ability, which you usually associate with 4-3 OLBs...

Very true, good to finally see someone who knows football.
Do you know why he's not playing M.L.B. right now?
the Weakside I.L.B. in our defense needs to cover a lot, you're right, that's the reason we went out and got Thomas for that exact reason, his pass coverage skills, but how is this kid at rushing the passer and stuffing the run?

JonCJG

Reaction score
I'd like the horns DE better. Just looked him up.....Orakpo, Brian.

Too bad he won't be around very long. :(

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
KD;2441999 said:
I'd like the horns DE better. Just looked him up.....Orakpo, Brian.

Too bad he won't be around very long. :(

you can say that again, he's a surefire top 10 prospect, but I wouldn't select him anyway, cause he's not a 3-4 D.E., he's WAY TOO SMALL to fit into the 3-4 scheme.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
ThatsmyQB;2442415 said:
you can say that again, he's a surefire top 10 prospect, but I wouldn't select him anyway, cause he's not a 3-4 D.E., he's WAY TOO SMALL to fit into the 3-4 scheme.

he would be an OLB in the 3-4.

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2442458 said:
he would be an OLB in the 3-4.

Then I definately don't want him.
You sure he is mobile enough and can run with R.B.'s in pass patterns to switch to L.B.?

You can't just say every light D.E. will make the switch and move to L.B. in the 3-4, some of them just dont' fit the scheme you know.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
ThatsmyQB;2443383 said:
You sure he is mobile enough and can run with R.B.'s in pass patterns to switch to L.B.?

You can't just say every light D.E. will make the switch and move to L.B. in the 3-4, some of them just dont' fit the scheme you know.

Yea he will be able to make the move the way Ware Spencer and Ellis were able to make the move.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
ThatsmyQB;2443383 said:

based on your comments here it is obvious you know absolutely nothing about Brian Orakpo. I havent felt this hardcore about a Longhorns DL since Tony Brackens in the mid 90s.....and that includes Brian Robison, who I have made it known, I wanted Dallas to draft.

Orakpo is a flat out beast. He is relentless. Imagine the QB is bloody carcass and Orakpo is a shark.....he will sniff out that bloody carcass and have himself a nice midday sack.

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
Biggems;2443522 said:
based on your comments here it is obvious you know absolutely nothing about Brian Orakpo. I havent felt this hardcore about a Longhorns DL since Tony Brackens in the mid 90s.....and that includes Brian Robison, who I have made it known, I wanted Dallas to draft.

Orakpo is a flat out beast. He is relentless. Imagine the QB is bloody carcass and Orakpo is a shark.....he will sniff out that bloody carcass and have himself a nice midday sack.

No I don't know much about him cause I'm concentratign on players dallas actually has a shot in hell at drafting.
I don't want him cause we have Spencer and Ware though anyway.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
ThatsmyQB;2443533 said:
No I don't know much about him cause I'm concentratign on players dallas actually has a shot in hell at drafting.

You can never have enough pass rushers. Spencer has yet to be healthy for a full season so I would definitely bring someone in as a back up. You can just say oh we have starters in place lets not address the position for the next 5 years.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
ThatsmyQB;2443533 said:

Well I am concentrating on him cause I am a Horns fan...I focus a lot on the Big 12 in general.

You do realize Dallas can trade up and draft some of these players right? I know it is highly unlikely, but it is possible.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2443618 said:
You can never have enough pass rushers. Spencer has yet to be healthy for a full season so I would definitely bring someone in as a back up. You can just say oh we have starters in place lets not address the position for the next 5 years.

he has issues with drafting OLBs, cause we have Ware and Spencer, but he wants to draft 6 DTs, when we only need 2.

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2443618 said:

But you CAN not use your TOP DRAFT PICK on a position that's SET IN STONE with it's starters! LOL
I'm all for bringin in a backup and more pass rushers, but NO WAY would I use our topp pick on a position that's SET IN STONE!

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
Biggems;2443653 said:
he has issues with drafting OLBs, cause we have Ware and Spencer, but he wants to draft 6 DTs, when we only need 2.

I dont have ANY issue drafting an O.L.B., just not with our TOP PICK!
so you are saying you wouldn't have a problem drafting an O.L.b. with our top pick?
REALLY? LOL
And I didn't have us drafting 6 D.T.'s when we only need 2, we need TWO N.T.'s, and the other D.t'.s I have us drafting project to D.E. in the 3-4, unless you think anyone on our D-line without the last name of Ratliff can't be improved.

We kept 7 D-lineman this year, and I only see ONE guy on the D-line who's really good, the others are all EXPENDABLE, so excuse me if I want to upgrade by getting 2 N.T.'s, and a few LATE ROUND PICKS at D.T. we will convert to D.E. in our 3-4, unless you think Spears and Hatcher and Bowen aand Tank are all future pro-bowlers that can't all be replaced.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
ThatsmyQB;2443665 said:
But you CAN not use your TOP DRAFT PICK on a position that's SET IN STONE with it's starters! LOL
I'm all for bringin in a backup and more pass rushers, but NO WAY would I use our topp pick on a position that's SET IN STONE!

yes u can....and many teams do it.

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
Biggems;2443716 said:
yes u can....and many teams do it.

NAME ONE, actually name several since you say MANY TEAMS DO IT, this should be fun!
Now you must name teams that have BOTH STARTERS set in stone and are great players at their positions like Ware and Spencer.
That's like having Troy Polomalu and Ed reed as your 2 starting safeties under contract for the next 5 years and using your TOP PICK on another safety, it's just ******** logic when you have so many other needs to fill in the draft, why use your top pick on a position that's already set for the next 5 years?

Why on EARTH would ANYONE use their top pick on a player they KNOW will only be a BACKUP the next 5 years unless there's an injury to the starter?

So you're basically using your TOP DRAFT PICK to be a special teams player unless there's an injury to the starter, that just doesn't make much sense.

I understand at certain positions like W.R./C.B./R.B. where they will be used so much during the game, sort of like Felix jones, or how we used a top pick (round 2, actually our 3rd pick but a 2nd rounder like our 2nd rounder we're discussing) on Bennett even though we had Witten, but that's cause we run a ton of 2 T.E. sets and he'd basically be a starter opposite Witten.

But since you can't play THREE O.L.B.'s at one time, drafting an O.L.B. with your top pick when you have Ware and Spencer just makes NO SENSE AT ALL!

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
ThatsmyQB;2443734 said:
NAME ONE, actually name several since you say MANY TEAMS DO IT, this should be fun!
Now you must name teams that have BOTH STARTERS set in stone and are great players at their positions like Ware and Spencer.
That's like having Troy Polomalu and Ed reed as your 2 starting safeties under contract for the next 5 years and using your TOP PICK on another safety, it's just ******** logic when you have so many other needs to fill in the draft, why use your top pick on a position that's already set for the next 5 years?

Why on EARTH would ANYONE use their top pick on a player they KNOW will only be a BACKUP the next 5 years unless there's an injury to the starter?

So you're basically using your TOP DRAFT PICK to be a special teams player unless there's an injury to the starter, that just doesn't make much sense.

I understand at certain positions like W.R./C.B./R.B. where they will be used so much during the game, sort of like Felix jones, or how we used a top pick (round 2, actually our 3rd pick but a 2nd rounder like our 2nd rounder we're discussing) on Bennett even though we had Witten, but that's cause we run a ton of 2 T.E. sets and he'd basically be a starter opposite Witten.

But since you can't play THREE O.L.B.'s at one time, drafting an O.L.B. with your top pick when you have Ware and Spencer just makes NO SENSE AT ALL!

there was a couple of times last season when Spencer Ware and Ellis was on the field at the same time....you just have to mix it up a little bit.

wick

Reaction score
silverbear;2435708 said:

I respectfully disagree with your comparison. Burnett is more of a 4-3 OLB, which is why he plays in nickel situations for us. Kindle is an attack player who plays an elephant-type position for Texas, which should be a seamless transition to 3-4 OLB in the NFL. Kindle is an explosive athlete who has size and the frame to get bigger. Most Longhorn insiders think he probably leaves this season if he's a first-day pick, but he would be helped tremendously by returning; he's a first-rounder in 2010 if he comes back.

Pretty accurate assessment of the Longhorn draftables here:

http://www.barkingcarnival.com/scipio-tex/musings-on-the-nfl-draft