Oh those classy Eagles fans.....

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
http://www.startribune.com/stories/462/5189896.html

Vikings fans take a beating in Philly, too
Paul Levy, Star Tribune
January 17, 2005 PHILLY0117

PHILADELPHIA -- Rough game. But maybe a rougher crowd.

The Minnesota Vikings lost to the Philadelphia Eagles 27-14 Sunday -- ending the Vikings' playoff hopes and season. But all the mother of Vikings lineman Chris Liwienski could talk about was how she and her family were physically abused by fans in the upper deck of Lincoln Financial Field.

Wearing one of her son's purple Vikings jerseys, Marie Hoppe said she was pushed repeatedly by hostile Philadelphia fans. Her daughter-in-law, Christina Liwienski, said she was hit in the head by a plastic beer bottle.

"We were warned that Philadelphia fans would be rough, the worst in the league, and my son begged me not to wear this jersey," said Hoppe, of suburban Detroit. "Fans are supposed to come to games, not thugs. But these people had their hands on me constantly.

"What are these people doing at sporting events like this?"

The announced crowd of 67,722 seemed determined to enhance a well-earned reputation as the National Football League's crudest. But the Eagles -- the top seed and class of the National Football Conference -- didn't really need any extra help against a Vikings team that finished the season 9-9 and looked every bit like the conference's lowest playoff seed.

With Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb dissecting the Minnesota secondary early and passing for two touchdowns, and facing a tough Philadelphia defense, the Vikings looked very much like a team that lost four of its final five regular season games and not like a team that upset the Packers in Green Bay in the playoffs' first round.

"Giving up 21 points in the first half doesn't help," Vikings cornerback Antoine Winfield said.

Obnoxious and hostile

The Vikings offered their fans hope when quarterback Daunte Culpepper's 7-yard touchdown run in the second quarter cut the Eagles' lead to 14-7.

"We still have a chance," Marie Hoppe said during the third quarter.

But she and her family had long given up on the Eagles fans. Joe Liwienski, Chris' 22-year-old brother, said he attended the "basketbrawl" game in Auburn Hills, Mich., where members of the Indiana Pacers exchanged punches with Detroit Pistons fans.

"This was 10 times worse," he said.

"The fans were obnoxious," Chris Liwienski said from the Vikings locker room. "They were chanting stuff to Randy [Moss] throughout the game. You expect that, but you don't expect them to abuse people in the stands trying to enjoy the game."

The few fans who came to the game wearing Vikings purple were greeted by a boisterous and hostile crowd that began sharpening their fangs in parking lots near the stadium at 6 a.m., presumably stirring their alcoholic beverages with rusty nails.

Mike Hughes, 39, of Excelsior, wearing a purple Randy Moss jersey on his back and his heart on his sleeve, walked right through the Eagles crowd that hurled obscenities and promised to throw even more at him.

"Batteries," he said. "They're threatening to throw batteries.

"I went to all but three Vikings road games this year," Hughes said. "I can tell you that Green Bay is nothing like this."

Scott Bain, 33, also wearing a Moss jersey, said he "never felt so lonely" as he walked briskly through a parking lot crowded with Eagles fans chanting obscenities and holding "Jacksonville or Bust" signs.

"We had upper deck seats, but we got so many warnings about what might happen to us that we sold them and bought club level seats on the street," said Bain, formerly of Anoka and now a lawyer in Washington, D.C. "We were told it was safer there."

Said Steve Beckman, 47, of New Brighton, in a well-worn (but not yet battered) Moss jersey: "They warned us not to wear this attire, but we didn't listen. I even rode the subway here.

"They told us that if the Vikings win, we'd better take a cab home, for our own protection."

"We still better watch out for batteries," said Jimmy Bahnson, 22, of Fridley, wearing a Culpepper jersey.

Philadelphia, which has lost the three previous conference title games, will try again next Sunday against Atlanta.

"How many disappointments can Philadelphia fans take?" asked John Groses, 74, of Media, Pa.

"This city's been through hell with its sports teams," said Tom Jones, of Milton, Del., whose bus is painted Eagles green, has Eagles logos in every window and has become a pregame meeting place for Eagles cheerleaders, fans and anyone looking for a photo opportunity or to commiserate.

"We gear ourselves up for these games, but the worst has happened so many times."

The worst happened in the upper deck, in the corner of the end zone, Chris Liwienski said.

"I tried to warn them," he said of his family. "It's like these fans have hit a new low."

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
I live in the Philadelphia suburbs. I've been to Eagles-Cowboys games. Let me just say, read this article and then know that it's much worse than that. This is the primary reason why I could never support this team - the belligerent and overconfident fans.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
This among many other reasons are why the Eagles don't deserve to win a Super Bowl. I hope the Falcons win and it breaks their hearts so bad they want to riot and tear down Stinkin' Financial field. Maybe they will set the stadium on fire. THese fans are the absolute worst in the history of the NFL. To do that to women just proves that they are the low life scum of the league.

Roughneck

Reaction score
I might actually go back and read this again in case I start to feel bad for Philthy as Vick & the Falcons are bending them over on Sunday.

AJM1613

Reaction score
You can't complain if you were warned.

I'm not saying it was right, but they knew it was coming.

And to the people who said they hope we lose on Sunday:

Do you have a death wish for the Falcon fans at the game?

anava

Reaction score
AJM1613 said:

Didnt the peoples chump fumble on the goal line yesterday?

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
AJM1613 said:

Gimme a f'in break. All f'in talk. Philly fans are nothing but a bunch of pansies.

I'd put my money on the Falcons vs all your homo fans.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
AJM1613 said:

That is an absurd statement. They were warned so it was their fault that someone threw a bottle at the mother and wife of a player. That tells you right there the mentality of an Eagles fan.
And personally, I hope they lose so bad that every Eagle fan needs to go to therapy for a month to get over it.

jacs

I'd Hit It
Reaction score
well that sucks and it's not worth going to the game if you have to get protection

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
AJM1613 said:

The Eagles should be sued. I can't believe the ownership and the police allow this kind of action to take place. I should go there, just in my Cowboys colors and root for the Boys next year.

I'll have another friend come with a video camera (with a Eagles jersey). Anyone touch's me and I'll sue the team/police, and the city...even the NFL. Tags should take action, he knows this goes on. Lets take away their 1st round draft pick.

That is BS when a players family is harrassed (or any other fan).

And you wonder why the Philly Karma is soooooo bad.

I work for Fox news, maybe we should do a story on this.

mcnabbmcnow

Reaction score
AJM1613 said:

I agree that it is hard to complain if you were warned not to wear an opposing jersey. Her insistence that this was worse than what happened in Detroit kind of makes her whole story sound unbelievable. As an Eagles fan, I went to Pittsburgh, and believe me, the treatment there wasn't very nice either.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
There is a difference between being belligerant and being annoying. Duke fans are annoying but they aren't belligerant. If you play against Duke at Cameron Indoor stadium, you will be a disadvantage because the fans are so loud and they really give their own team a lot of energy. But Duke fans won't beat you up if you are cheering their opponent. I agree, Philly and Raider fans are thugs and it's karma.

Atlanta over Philly

JV Buffalo Bills = Philthy Eagles

silver

Reaction score
cajuncowboy said:
That is an absurd statement. They were warned so it was their fault that someone threw a bottle at the mother and wife of a player. That tells you right there the mentality of an Eagles fan.
And personally, I hope they lose so bad that every Eagle fan needs to go to therapy for a month to get over it.

i hope they make it all the way to the sb. that way when they lose to the patriots with TO they'll have no excuses. the let down will be so much greater. people will be jumping off buildings. but i got a feeling they won't have an answer to Vick and will lose the title game for the 4th straight time. they'll be called the philadelphia bills

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
mcnabbmcnow said:
I agree that it is hard to complain if you were warned not to wear an opposing jersey. Her insistence that this was worse than what happened in Detroit kind of makes her whole story sound unbelievable. As an Eagles fan, I went to Pittsburgh, and believe me, the treatment there wasn't very nice either.

That's kind of like blaming a woman for being raped because she walked into a dark alley. Yes, the woman could have applied more common sense and not worn the jersey but it doesn't change the fact that Eagles fans were wrong about abusing her.

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
AJM1613 said:

You know, Home games are for the home team. Was embarrassing to see all those Steeler fans at Texas Stadium. Wish Cowboy fans protected home turf the way Philly fans do.

I hate Philly and Philly fans, but damn...wearing a Randy Moss jersey to a Philly playoff game? Come on, common sense.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
Jarv said:
The Eagles should be sued. I can't believe the ownership and the police allow this kind of action to take place. I should go there, just in my Cowboys colors and root for the Boys next year.

I'll have another friend come with a video camera (with a Eagles jersey). Anyone touch's me and I'll sue the team/police and the city. That is BS when a players family is harrassed (or any other fan).

And you wonder why the Philly Karma is soooooo bad.

You laugh but you could seriously make a lot of money doing that.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
silver said:
i hope they make it all the way to the sb. that way when they lose to the patriots with TO they'll have no excuses. the let down will be so much greater. people will be jumping off buildings. but i got a feeling they won't have an answer to Vick and will lose the title game for the 4th straight time. they'll be called the philadelphia bills

They dont deserve that, at least the Bills MADE 4 straight SBs.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
mcnabbmcnow said:

That's BS. I went to Pittsburgh two years ago when Dallas played them in PS and I had no problems at all. No one said a single word to me. As a mateter of fact there were a bunch of them that I didn't know and we talked football and had a great time.

I went to the Meadowlands for the last game of this season and wore my Roy Jersey, my Cowboys jacket and my cowboys hat and no one said a thing to me. We tailgated and the fans around us envited us to eat with them and drink with them and inside the stadium no one said anything to me either. I really think that it is just the Philly area. I lived there for a while and i know they are a bunch of low lifes. Especially in the upper deck. at least when they were at the Vet it was a problem up there. Probably the same now at the Stink.

Roughneck

Reaction score
silver said:
No Way. Aside from the fact that they wouldn't be able to claim "Super Bowl worthiness" and that it would be their Fourth Straight Loss in the exact same game, I want it to happen in Philthy. I want it to happen in front of all their fans, just like in '03 vs. Tampa Bay and in '04 vs. Carolina. I want Donny & Company to once again hear their "home crowd" turning on them as chorus upon chorus of Boo's rain down upon them.

Rayman

Reaction score
mcnabbmcnow said:

They are suppose to be sports fans wearing their teams colors.
They're not gang colors you moron.

The team ownership and the league need to step in and step up security.