Ohio State puts Urban Meyer on administrative leave

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
An acquaintance of mine and Michigan fan is literally celebrating over this latest news of Urban Meyer. The jubilee is rippling through the Michigan campus as we type.

How pathetic. :facepalm: Anyone who celebrates the personal destruction of another person, particularly in the sports arena, should be embarrassed by their own shallowness..... and this is coming from a guy who grew up in Michigan, was accepted at UM and has many friends who attended the institution.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I agree overall but from what I understand, it is your Title IX that might get him. As an employee of OSU, both he and his wife supposedly had a duty to report the allegations of abuse to the authorities. I understand he asked the coach if he were beating his wife, Smith denied it and that apparently is not enough. I agree it is way too easy to sit back and say "he should have done more". Unless his wife throws him under the bus, not sure how they can say he actually knew of the allegations. Anyway, if the guy denies them, what is Meyer supposed to do,say "oh well you deny it but tough, I am reporting you anyway"?

I would be very interested in seeing the language you refer to in Title IX. So far as I know, Shelly Meyers is not employed by the University. Why on Earth would there be language in a contract that pertained to her?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I felt Paterno was just as responsible at PSU as Sandusky because he knew of the charges for decades and the children were supposed to count on men like JoePa and McQueery to protect them

Stuff between a man and wife is much more complicated..... it is hard to ever know the truth and even harder to take action when they often get back together and forgive each other..... these coaches all stick together, families too..... they are tight knit.... they live together travel together and go from school to school together.... they are like cops... they have their own rules

Holding Meyer responsible for not speaking out seems a bit too much unless the wife specifically asked for help

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
I think it is silly to pin it on Urb even though I think he is douchey. I wonder if his wife will walk the plank for him.

Stryker44

Reaction score
You do NOT let Urban Meyer go down for this. He was protecting his friend, what his friend does off the field is his friend's business. THE PROGRAM comes first!

Kevin T

Reaction score
Ohio State football is what the Dallas Cowboys are to football...via ESPN. Both organizations are heavily hated by ESPN. Media is going to press this issue until he gets fired. OSU is widely hated.

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
From an article in the Detroit News:

".... the kicker revealed by multiple outlets Wednesday night is language added to Meyer’s contract in April. His $8.49 million contract runs through Jan. 31, 2023. The updated contract stipulates Meyer must “promptly report to Ohio State’s Title IX Coordinator for Athletics any known violations of Ohio State’s Sexual Misconduct Policy (including but not limited to sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual exploitation, intimate violence and stalking) that involve any student, faculty or staff … For purposes of this Section 4.1 (e), a 'known violation' shall mean a violation or allegation of a violation of Title IX that Coach is aware of or has reasonable cause is taking place or may have taken place.”

"Meyer kept an alleged domestic abuser on his staff for five years at Florida, then brought him to Ohio State in 2012. Meyer acknowledged an incident in 2009, when Smith was arrested for aggravated battery after allegedly throwing his then-pregnant wife, Courtney, against a wall. Courtney Smith eventually dropped charges, and said she felt pressured to do so by Meyer’s closest friends. "

"... Meyer claimed he knew nothing about multiple incidents involving Zach Smith in 2015, including assault and stalking allegations that caused Courtney Smith to obtain a restraining order."

In light of this information (if its true) and the wording in his contract, I'd say he's in serious jeopardy. I don't know how the university can keep him on as coach. It looks like his only chance is if his wife claims she never told him about the 2015 information claiming she was observing Courtney Smith's "right to privacy"..... and that's going to be a tough sell given her relationship to Urban and the prior incidents between the Smiths.

I think the public pressure and the implications (both legal and damage to the school's reputation) of not firing him are going to be too great. If I were a betting man, I'd say he's done .... and OSU is well within its rights to let him go.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
How pathetic. :facepalm: Anyone who celebrates the personal destruction of another person, particularly in the sports arena, should be embarrassed by their own shallowness..... and this is coming from a guy who grew up in Michigan, was accepted at UM and has many friends who attended the institution.

Some people want their college to win at any cost, if a rival school loses a good/great coach, they're happy, no matter who it hurts...

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score

".... the kicker revealed by multiple outlets Wednesday night is language added to Meyer’s contract in April. His $8.49 million contract runs through Jan. 31, 2023. The updated contract stipulates Meyer must “promptly report to Ohio State’s Title IX Coordinator for Athletics any known violations of Ohio State’s Sexual Misconduct Policy (including but not limited to sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual exploitation, intimate violence and stalking) that involve any student, faculty or staff … For purposes of this Section 4.1 (e), a 'known violation' shall mean a violation or allegation of a violation of Title IX that Coach is aware of or has reasonable cause is taking place or may have taken place.”

"Meyer kept an alleged domestic abuser on his staff for five years at Florida, then brought him to Ohio State in 2012. Meyer acknowledged an incident in 2009, when Smith was arrested for aggravated battery after allegedly throwing his then-pregnant wife, Courtney, against a wall. Courtney Smith eventually dropped charges, and said she felt pressured to do so by Meyer’s closest friends. "

"... Meyer claimed he knew nothing about multiple incidents involving Zach Smith in 2015, including assault and stalking allegations that caused Courtney Smith to obtain a restraining order."

In light of this information (if its true) and the wording in his contract, I'd say he's in serious jeopardy. I don't know how the university can keep him on as coach. It looks like his only chance is if his wife claims she never told him about the 2015 information claiming she was observing Courtney Smith's "right to privacy"..... and that's going to be a tough sell given her relationship to Urban and the prior incidents between the Smiths.

I think the public pressure and the implications (both legal and damage to the school's reputation) of not firing him are going to be too great. If I were a betting man, I'd say he's done .... and OSU is well within its rights to let him go.

that does not mean he "knew". She alleged, husband denied.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Paterno
Briles
Meyer

Who's next?

In this day and age, you could put any name up there and I wouldn't be shocked. The climate is vindictive and they really don't care about the circumstances IMO. This is not Meyer's fault, IMO. I have people in my own family who I know get beaten up and have no desire to get out. I've gone to bat for them and received vindictive behavior from the person I was trying to "save" for my troubles. We have laws and those laws are supposed to protect you. What if he goes to the police, the University takes action, the charges are dropped and the Coach sues Meyers and the University? I mean, that's very possible as well.

I seriously doubt this will go anywhere but I also think that this is too far. JMO

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

I think it depends on being able to prove that she told anybody anything, prove that Shelly Meyer told her husband and finally, if you can apply the changes made last april in his contract, specific to these clauses, since it all happened in 2015. I mean, I don't know what the legal precedents is for such things but it would be interesting to understand how that applies, if at all.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...keyes-places-urban-meyer-administrative-leave
Ohio State coach Urban Meyer was placed on paid administrative leave Wednesday as the school announced it is investigating Courtney Smith's claims that several people close to the head coach knew of a 2015 allegation of domestic violence against her ex-husband, former Ohio State assistant football coach Zach Smith, who was fired in July.

Offensive coordinator Ryan Day will be the team's acting head coach during the investigation.

"We are focused on supporting our players and on getting to the truth as expeditiously as possible," the school said in a statement.
WOW. Urban must really be losing sleep over that punishment. If they're investigating the matter, why are they wasting the school's money by putting him on paid leave?!

Instead, they should use that money for the investigation. :rolleyes:

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
I think it depends on being able to prove that she told anybody anything, prove that Shelly Meyer told her husband and finally, if you can apply the changes made last april in his contract, specific to these clauses, since it all happened in 2015. I mean, I don't know what the legal precedents is for such things but it would be interesting to understand how that applies, if at all.

There's the legal consideration... and then there's the political. Given the times we're living in (#metoo ring a bell?), does the board of trustees want to open the school up to the circus atmosphere that will occur if it doesn't "do the right thing" right now? All the press, all the protests etc? When everything starts to stink, who wants to be associated with the program? What happens to alumni support, sponsor support etc? Its not outside the realm of possibility that people could protest the program's sponsors and accuse them of being complicit by refusing to withdraw support.

What happens when somebody trailing in an Ohio state political race decides that "they're going to do something about the culture at OSU that condones the abuse of women". At that point, it will become a litmus test for all political candidates in the state. Governor Kasich appoints the trustees to the board. If they don't fire Meyer, its not a reach to think his opponents in the next race, Democrat or Republican, will try to hang their lack of action around his neck.

This is bigger than just the strict legal aspects.... way bigger.

Last edited:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
There's the legal consideration... and then there's the political. Given the times we're living in (#metoo ring a bell?), does the board of trustees want to open the school up to the circus atmosphere that will occur if it doesn't "do the right thing" right now? All the press, all the protests etc? When everything starts to stink, who wants to be associated with the program? What happens to alumni support, sponsor support etc? Its not outside the realm of possibility that people could protest the program's sponsors and accuse them of being complicit by refusing to withdraw support.

What happens when somebody trailing in an Ohio state political race decides that "they're going to do something about the culture at OSU that condones the abuse of women". At that point, it will become a litmus test for all political candidates in the state. Governor Kasich appoints the trustees to the board. If they don't fire Meyer, its not a reach to think his opponents in the next race, Democrat or Republican, will try to hang their lack of action around his neck.

This is bigger than just the strict legal aspects.... way bigger.

I think that's a valid point but if it's a PC thing, then Meyers will get paid for what he's owned on the contract and there will be plenty of Universities who are interested in his services. At least, that's my opinion. PC is one thing but the desire for a winning program is always going to insure that he has a job, so long as he is interested in working.

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
I think that's a valid point but if it's a PC thing, then Meyers will get paid for what he's owned on the contract and there will be plenty of Universities who are interested in his services. At least, that's my opinion. PC is one thing but the desire for a winning program is always going to insure that he has a job, so long as he is interested in working.

I don't see that anytime soon. All that PC stink will follow him around wherever he goes. I can't see an AD/Board/University wanting to bring that on themselves at any point in the near term. Briles got run from Baylor for looking the other way and he just now got a job..... in Italy. You never know; maybe there's an opening in the new Siberian League!

If he really left Florida because he was killing himself over his job, Meyer should be smart and ride off into the sunset.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I don't see that anytime soon. All that PC stink will follow him around wherever he goes. I can't see an AD/Board/University wanting to bring that on themselves at any point in the near term. Briles got run from Baylor for looking the other way and he just now got a job..... in Italy. You never know; maybe there's an opening in the new Siberian League!

If he really left Florida because he was killing himself over his job, Meyer should be smart and ride off into the sunset.

I don't want to get political here because that's kinda what this is but I'll just say this and leave it at that. PC is PC but it varies according to where you are in the Country. There plenty of places in America where PC is not as it is at OSU. I think he works if he wants to. If he doesn't, he wont. There are only so many guys anywhere, at anytime, in the History of the Sport who can put up numbers that are on the level of Meyers. I think he has a job if he wants it.

joseephuss

Reaction score

You could be right; however, Briles hardly has a resume as good as Meyer. That matters as well.