Ohio State puts Urban Meyer on administrative leave

joseephuss

Reaction score
just gonna put this here

He made some good points in this letter. I was surprised he took a stance about it either way at media day. Just say "no comment" or "it is being investigated". That denial may cost him.

Now Zach Smith is saying the AD of tOSU was made aware of the allegations. So everyone knew except for Meyer. Very strange.

I don't know if this should cost him his job, but it certainly sounds as if he was definitely aware of the abuse allegations. I think it is worthy of further investigation, but I have no idea what the end result will or should be.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
In this day and age, you could put any name up there and I wouldn't be shocked. The climate is vindictive and they really don't care about the circumstances IMO. This is not Meyer's fault, IMO. I have people in my own family who I know get beaten up and have no desire to get out. I've gone to bat for them and received vindictive behavior from the person I was trying to "save" for my troubles. We have laws and those laws are supposed to protect you. What if he goes to the police, the University takes action, the charges are dropped and the Coach sues Meyers and the University? I mean, that's very possible as well.

I seriously doubt this will go anywhere but I also think that this is too far. JMO

+1 ........My question is what did she expect Meyers to do? He was her husband supervisor, not the law. Did she want her husband fired, counseled, or both? Why not file a report with the police or get a restraining order. I wonder if Meyers and his wife tried working both to save their marriage.
One thing I remember about him as coach of Gators...... he had ( or least led fans to believe ) strong Christian belief and was not shy about sharing those beliefs with fans and public.

JBond

Reaction score
So what's the bigger outrage to the "Great Collective"?

A) The fact that he lied about not knowing about the incident in 2015 ..... or B) That he wasn't sufficiently outraged when he learned of his assistant coach's behavior that he fired him back then.

It appears that the new measure for compliance to the Great Collective is: "No matter how long ago some infraction may or may not have occurred, you were responsible to be as outraged about it as we are at this very moment, and you should have doled out the punishment we deem appropriate today when you learned of it back then. If you do otherwise, you are obviously not worthy of maintaining your current employment".

Please note, I am NOT defending spousal abuse. I'm defending the individual against the collective mentality that seeks to retroactively punish/ostracize a person for not behaving in a way they deem appropriate today.
Umm...this did not happen in 1950. It was 2015. I was not appropriate to beat the hell out of your wife in 2015.

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
Umm...this did not happen in 1950. It was 2015. I was not appropriate to beat the hell out of your wife in 2015.

I don't appreciate your inference.

Its never been appropriate to "beat the hell out of your wife." Its illegal. Men who do it should go to jail.

If my argument is too nuanced or oblique to you, perhaps you should re-read it. Apparently you stopped before the line where I stated, "Please note: I am NOT defending spousal abuse."

ghst187

Reaction score
I hate Ohio St and I don’t like Meyer but this reeks of the latest craze of guilt by accusation based on vendettas which is going around lately and dragging lots of folks down, some guilty, some innocent. If urban is didn’t do anything wrong then I hope he fights it and then sue’s the pants off everyone involved in trying to frame him.

Hardline

Reaction score
I think you underestimate the uber sensitive culture on most college campuses. Social outrage trumps truth. They'll be people from all over piling onto that university not the least of which is ESPN which has already taken a very negative position on him.

The problem the university is going to have is trying not to pay him the 30 million they still owe him.

The majority of college students think there are more than two genders.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The majority of college students think there are more than two genders.

Which is why a throw-back coach like Urban has no chance once the snowflakes get a whiff of anything they consider wrong or offensive. Being wrong and insensitive is now on par with rape and murder.

Stryker44

Reaction score
Meyer's responsibility is to protect THE TEAM and THE PROGRAM. Not be moral police over his assistant coaches relationships.

lukin2006

Reaction score

Birch_Wood

Reaction score
I have people in my own family who I know get beaten up and have no desire to get out. I've gone to bat for them and received vindictive behavior from the person I was trying to "save" for my troubles.

I seriously doubt this will go anywhere but I also think that this is too far. JMO[/QUOTE]
That seems to be a consistent problem, the abused flips on the folks trying to help them. Probably why some states domestic violence policy is for the police to "arrest" at any sign of physical abuse or marks. Where did I acquire this info you ask? watching COPS and Live PD of course.

Birch_Wood

Reaction score
I don't want to get political here because that's kinda what this is but I'll just say this and leave it at that. PC is PC but it varies according to where you are in the Country. There plenty of places in America where PC is not as it is at OSU. I think he works if he wants to. If he doesn't, he wont. There are only so many guys anywhere, at anytime, in the History of the Sport who can put up numbers that are on the level of Meyers. I think he has a job if he wants it.
I think after the dust settles, he will be scooped up faster than you can say Big Ten Conference.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I have people in my own family who I know get beaten up and have no desire to get out. I've gone to bat for them and received vindictive behavior from the person I was trying to "save" for my troubles.

I seriously doubt this will go anywhere but I also think that this is too far. JMO
That seems to be a consistent problem, the abused flips on the folks trying to help them. Probably why some states domestic violence policy is for the police to "arrest" at any sign of physical abuse or marks. Where did I acquire this info you ask? watching COPS and Live PD of course.[/QUOTE]

In ABQ's best Nacho Libre:

It's The Best!

Ghost12

Reaction score
I think after the dust settles, he will be scooped up faster than you can say Big Ten Conference.
OSU knows this and that's their problem right now. They want to fire him but they know they are going to look pretty silly when they go 8-4 while he is competing for national championships at some other institution.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Anybody who covered Myers at Gatorville knows he overlooked many player transgressions in his zeal to win championship. In '07 when Hernandez was originally a suspect in an attempted homicide, Meyer told a Gainesville Sun's Post reporter that he was informed of the incident but " didn't think about it again: until 6yrs later when Hernandez was convicted when playing for the Pats.

I didn't believe Meyer then and I certainly don't believe him now. I just don't believe one of the most powerful and successful coaches in college football history would be oblivious to the fact that one of his players was a suspect in attempted murder. And, I don't believe that same coach would be ignorant to the fact that one of his most trusted assistant coaches has been accused of being a serial domestic abuser.

Clearly Myer didn't fire Smith because he allegedly abused his wife numerous of times, he fired Smith because the allegations became public.

Resign immediately Myer. You are a disgrace to intercollegiate athletes.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
I think after the dust settles, he will be scooped up faster than you can say Big 10 Conference.
OSU knows this and that's their problem right now. They want to fire him but they know they are going to look pretty silly when they go 8-4 while he is competing for national championships at some other institution.
You're both kidding right? There isn't one school in the big 10 nor any other University that would want him. Besides, like the NFL, coaches have contracts.

No other school would want a HC that kept silent about his assistant coach being a serial wife abuser. Stop thinking about Myer going to a different school, but instead think that he'll be convicted for keeping his mouth shut. He doesn't even deserve Paid Administrator's Leave. OSU' is going to need that money for lawsuits, attorneys and court fees.

Last edited:

jsb357

Reaction score
didn't Zeke play there...

jeze I wonder how many games this will cost him