Old Article Confirms My Suspicion that McCarthy is a Clueless OC

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Back in Greenbay, McCarthy had difficulty adjusting to situations during games as well. Many also considered him to have the lowest football IQ of any coach in the league, which confirms my suspicion that replacing Kellen Moore's with McCarthy at OC was a massive mistake. If we brought in another play-caller, fine. But McCarthy doesn't have the acumen at OC to be an OC in the NFL. It's an interesting read.

From the article,

But even in the best of times—when confetti should've still been stuck to their clothing—one person who was then close to Rodgers remembers he would regularly call to vent that McCarthy didn't have a clue what he was doing. He'd tell him that McCarthy frequently called the wrong play. That he used the wrong personnel. That they were running plays that worked one out of 50 times in practice. That McCarthy was a buffoon he was constantly bailing out.

"Mike has a low football IQ, and that used to always bother Aaron," this source says. "He'd say Mike has one of the lowest IQs, if not the lowest IQ, of any coach he's ever had."​
LINK:

Sydla

Reaction score
Back in Greenbay, McCarthy had difficulty adjusting to situations during games as well. Many also considered him to have the lowest football IQ of any coach in the league, which confirms my suspicion that replacing Kellen Moore's with McCarthy at OC was a massive mistake. If we brought in another play-caller, fine. But McCarthy doesn't have the acumen at OC to be an OC in the NFL. It's an interesting read.

From the article,

LINK:

This is not surprising to anyone who paid attention. It wasn't just Rodgers. Media members up there also reported on complaints from other players, etc.

When he was hired here, the thought process and acceptance of him as the hire was that he was just going to be the HC. And maybe that's a role he can handle. I knew the moment they decided to make him the OC this thing was likely going to be an issue.

The only question, barring some miraculous run here, is what does Jerry do in the offseason? He's got quite a few problems on O starting with his QB and OC. Does he cut or try to trade Dak? Does he take OC duties away from McCarthy and try to bring in one last OC to work with Dak? Does he just shitcan McCarthy? Does he keep McCarthy, cut Dak and then bring in a new QB?OC coaches to work with Lance and a draft pick?

I'd just fire McCarthy and tear up the coaching staff and just move on from Dak and start over offensively, but Jerry and Stephen likely won't do that.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
This is not surprising to anyone who paid attention. It wasn't just Rodgers. Media members up there also reported on complaints from other players, etc.

When he was hired here, the thought process and acceptance of him as the hire was that he was just going to be the HC. And maybe that's a role he can handle. I knew the moment they decided to make him the OC this thing was likely going to be an issue.

The only question, barring some miraculous run here, is what does Jerry do in the offseason? He's got quite a few problems on O starting with his QB and OC. Does he cut or try to trade Dak? Does he take OC duties away from McCarthy and try to bring in one last OC to work with Dak? Does he just shitcan McCarthy? Does he keep McCarthy, cut Dak and then bring in a new QB?OC coaches to work with Lance and a draft pick?

I'd just fire McCarthy and tear up the coaching staff and just move on from Dak and start over offensively, but Jerry and Stephen likely won't do that.
What team in their right mind would take Dak's $59 million cap hit?

Also, if McCarthy is fired, isn't Dan Quinn the proverbial next man up? Isn't that why he stayed in Dallas?

Sydla

Reaction score
The only source for this is Aaron Rodgers. An arrogant jackass.
It wasn't just him. Go back and read some of the local SB media at the time. There were some real issues with McCarthy and his playcalling from other players too. At one point, the Packers basically made him give up playcalling but eventually he took it back and failed again.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All this ... AR said, local media said...but not one link or shred of proof.....
Apparently AR did not like the current coach either, as he wanted and got out.

Sydla

Reaction score
What team in their right mind would take Dak's $59 million cap hit?

Also, if McCarthy is fired, isn't Dan Quinn the proverbial next man up? Isn't that why he stayed in Dallas?
No team has to take his $59 million cap hit. Only we have to take a $59 million cap hit if we keep him.

8FOR!3

Reaction score

From the article,

LINK:

And yet Green Bay couldn’t get anything done with LaFleur or whoever their coach is

blueblood70

Reaction score
And yet Green Bay couldn’t get anything done with LaFleur or whoever their coach is
as much as I agree they never got back to a Super Bowl I think they went to three straight NFC championship games I would take that... i'm sure mccarthy realizes how things.... working and we can get back on track and devise different game plans and in game play calling.. i'm sure that playbook still got a w.hole lot of those plays that were there last year.. he just went to a more run heavy conservative defense-Friendly plan and its not working.. why for one the defense isn't very good and these two losses , tonyP not a RB1 and it's not working well either.. so back to the drawing board let's set this up and reboot..

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Glad we set the bar high here.

How about we expect our HC/OC to be better than just OK? I mean Garrett was OK. So many fans in this fanbase are seemingly OK with mediocre, whether it be our coaches or our QB. It's weird.
yep, we're okay with dak might as well keep some more dead weight.

Mike is working with chicken crap and asked to make chicken salad. shrugs it is what it is.

Tommy

Reaction score
They went to back to back NFCCG and Rodgers won a MVP after hiring LaFleur.

I never realized we had so many McCarthy apologists around here. I am kind of stunned.
I don't think its McCarthy apologists. I think they just recognize he is not the source of the problem.

Many on CowboysZone want to believe we have just suffered from bad playcalling for the last 7 years.