Old Article Confirms My Suspicion that McCarthy is a Clueless OC

Plankton

Reaction score
All this ... AR said, local media said...but not one link or shred of proof.....
Apparently AR did not like the current coach either, as he wanted and got out.
Rodgers' issues were with Brian Gutekunst, the GM, not Matt LaFleur.

Plankton

Reaction score
I don't think its McCarthy apologists. I think they just recognize he is not the source of the problem.

Many on CowboysZone want to believe we have just suffered from bad playcalling for the last 7 years.
The source of the problem is not going anywhere until he meets his maker, and the heir apparent is not any better.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Early returns on his resuming playcalling are certainly not encouraging.

The struggles with the offense are well chronicled at this point. Coaching, execution, predictability, management etc… are all issues IMO.

They are “working on it” but the issues seem to run so deep in this organization. I’m sure they will have games where they perform well, but as soon as they face a decent coach and a decent D, I expect the struggles to rear their heads again

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
This is not surprising to anyone who paid attention. It wasn't just Rodgers. Media members up there also reported on complaints from other players, etc.

When he was hired here, the thought process and acceptance of him as the hire was that he was just going to be the HC. And maybe that's a role he can handle. I knew the moment they decided to make him the OC this thing was likely going to be an issue.

The only question, barring some miraculous run here, is what does Jerry do in the offseason? He's got quite a few problems on O starting with his QB and OC. Does he cut or try to trade Dak? Does he take OC duties away from McCarthy and try to bring in one last OC to work with Dak? Does he just shitcan McCarthy? Does he keep McCarthy, cut Dak and then bring in a new QB?OC coaches to work with Lance and a draft pick?

I'd just fire McCarthy and tear up the coaching staff and just move on from Dak and start over offensively, but Jerry and Stephen likely won't do that.
Lol

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They went to back to back NFCCG and Rodgers won a MVP after hiring LaFleur.

I never realized we had so many McCarthy apologists around here. I am kind of stunned.
I don't think anyone is apologizing for MM. And not many are saying keep him either.
I think it is he is not as horrible as some say, including AR.

Sydla

Reaction score
yep, we're okay with dak might as well keep some more dead weight.

Mike is working with chicken crap and asked to make chicken salad. shrugs it is what it is.
More like Mike is working with chicken crap and is asked to make chicken salad but he doesn't know the recipe so he just takes a steaming dump himself on top of the chicken crap.

Sydla

Reaction score
I don't think its McCarthy apologists. I think they just recognize he is not the source of the problem.

Many on CowboysZone want to believe we have just suffered from bad playcalling for the last 7 years.
That's being a McCarthy apologist. Seems like hair splitting. He is part of the problem.

In other words, just subtracting Dak from the equation doesn't somehow change the calculus here. Like your car has two flat tires and you only decide to replace one and hope the air stays in the other one after you refill it.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
More like Mike is working with chicken crap and is asked to make chicken salad but he doesn't know the recipe so he just takes a steaming dump himself on top of the chicken crap.
when you dumb down the recipe because that is all you can do with the crap you got, then you get chicken crap. shrugs.

Sydla

Reaction score
when you dumb down the recipe because that is all you can do with the crap you got then you get chicken crap. shrugs.
Problem is Mike doesn't know the recipe to begin with.

But sure, let's keep giving McCarthy a pass. LOL. Maybe another Garrett-esque run of ineptitude will finally help our fans be able to realize when a coach has it and when he doesn't after only a few years.

Sydla

Reaction score
I am concerned with the offense so far this season also.

That being said. The team has been significantly better since Mike arrived. So anyone acting like it’s all bad isn’t being realistic either.
I mean does it matter how people are acting? All bad? Some bad? Kinda bad? Mediocre? Barely average? Above average?

He's been here now for almost 3.5 seasons. Team does what the team did before him - rack up some regular season wins, spit the bit (if they make it) in the postseason. How much longer do we need to be on this train before we realize it's not taking us to our required destination? Same with the QB for that matter.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Problem is Mike doesn't know the recipe to begin with.

But sure, let's keep giving McCarthy a pass. LOL. Maybe another Garrett-esque run of ineptitude will finally help our fans be able to realize when a coach has it and when he doesn't after only a few years.
who says he's getting a pass? Let's make another excuse for dak. what is this 10? OC, HC, offensive line, wide receivers, running back, defense, I probably missed some. I can't believe dak can do anything with the worst team in the NFL his whole career. smh

MetalMike

Reaction score
They went to back to back NFCCG and Rodgers won a MVP after hiring LaFleur.

I never realized we had so many McCarthy apologists around here. I am kind of stunned.
McCarthy slobberers? Whodathunkit!

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
I am concerned with the offense so far this season also.

That being said. The team has been significantly better since Mike arrived. So anyone acting like it’s all bad isn’t being realistic either.
I think Rodgers' comments speak to him as an offensive coordinator more than a head coach. I haven't liked this offensive scheme from week one. One thing is clear Cooks and Lamb have to be featured in the passing game and Gallup phased out.

Sydla

Reaction score
who says he's getting a pass? Let's make another excuse for dak. what is this 10? OC, HC, offensive line, wide receivers, running back, defense, I probably missed some. I can't believe dak can do anything with the worst team in the NFL his whole career. smh
Saying McCarthy isn't the guy isn't a pass for Dak. Dak is dusted. It's been 8 years. He's not changing. But this desire to make it either one or the other is bizarre. They both need to go if you want to get the Cowboys on a path back to the NFCCG.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I mean does it matter how people are acting? All bad? Some bad? Kinda bad? Mediocre? Barely average? Above average?

He's been here now for almost 3.5 seasons. Team does what the team did before him - rack up some regular season wins, spit the bit (if they make it) in the postseason. How much longer do we need to be on this train before we realize it's not taking us to our required destination? Same with the QB for that matter.
It doesn’t matter how people are acting. I just don’t agree with you right now Sydla. I’m a bit worried about McCarthy’s playcalling. And truth be told that was his biggest criticisms in Green Bay.

But I actually think he has done a very good job in other aspects. His game management (when to go for it, etc). The team building has been better considering he has a crap FO, etc.

Honestly his playcalling is the only real
Concern I’ve had.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I think Rodgers' comments speak to him as an offensive coordinator more than a head coach. I haven't liked this offensive scheme from week one. One thing is clear Cooks and Lamb have to be featured in the passing game and Gallup phased out.
That is very true. I mentioned this just now in a response to Sydla. The playcalling has been the biggest question. In other aspects of being a HC. I think McCarthy has done very well with the cowboys so far.

I do think questioning his playcalling is fair. But I think as an overall HC he has been good.

Sydla

Reaction score
It doesn’t matter how people are acting. I just don’t agree with you right now Sydla. I’m a bit worried about McCarthy’s playcalling. And truth be told that was his biggest criticisms in Green Bay.

But I actually think he has done a very good job in other aspects. His game management (when to go for it, etc). The team building has been better considering he has a crap FO, etc.

Honestly his playcalling is the only real
Concern I’ve had.
Game management? There was just a stat yesterday showing he's decision making in when and when not to go for it wasn't great. Since he's gotten here, the team has been Top 10 in penalties every single year (Or they may have been 11th in one season). He's not even doing a great job as HC. The fact he's OC just makes it worse. And if he won't give up playcalling, then he doesn't add enough as a HC to even keep him around.

This team needs a complete purge barring some big run here. Jerry needs to **** can the retread model he has and go out and find a young, bright HC who can work with the QBs that have to come after Dak is done. McCarthy isn't the guy.

Unfortunately, if he dumped McCarthy, which he should do if this season ends like previous ones, we'll just end up with Quinn as HC.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I think that Mike is a good HC, but a bad OC.

Schotty needs to get the play card. The offense is so vanilla.

He took the same group of players that has pretty much led the league in offense over the last 3 years, added Brandin Cooks, and made them look like a bottom 5 unit. I am sorry, but that is most likely largely on the coaching.