Old Article Confirms My Suspicion that McCarthy is a Clueless OC

HungryLion

Reaction score
Game management? There was just a stat yesterday showing he's decision making in when and when not to go for it wasn't great. Since he's gotten here, the team has been Top 10 in penalties every single year (Or they may have been 11th in one season). He's not even doing a great job as HC. The fact he's OC just makes it worse.

This team needs a complete purge barring some big run here. Jerry needs to **** can the retread model he has and go out and find a young, bright HC who can work with the QBs that have to come after Dak is done. McCarthy isn't the guy.
That’s all great and your opinion. I just don’t agree. The team has been considerably better since he has become HC. Could they do better? Maybe. But again, they are definitely better than they were prior to his arrival.

What about the turnovers? This team was allergic to generating turnovers before his arrival. They didn’t do it for like 2 decades.

McCarthy stated turnovers would be one of his primary focuses. He hired a DC who could get it done and puts a huge focus on it.

You’re just looking at the negatives and not the positives.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Early returns on his resuming playcalling are certainly not encouraging.

The struggles with the offense are well chronicled at this point. Coaching, execution, predictability, management etc… are all issues IMO.

They are “working on it” but the issues seem to run so deep in this organization. I’m sure they will have games where they perform well, but as soon as they face a decent coach and a decent D, I expect the struggles to rear their heads again
well as much as kellen moore's offense was wide open and we've been #1 A few times , it's well chronicled he had problems against better ds and strong front 7s struggled against the SF team twice and both Washington games against tampa bay game one... so at least right now we just need to ge....ed out maybe they can get it remedied..

but i'm going to have to repeat this for the third time in this thread

they assumed how great our defense was going to be GREAT ie elite just dont make mistakes and tailored the offense to be but more defensive friendly and hasn't worked out in two games we lost, has it? the defense was outright horrible so our offense struggled because it might have been unexpected.

they need to find something in between... you know doesn't have to be high risk but it can't be this conservative, i'm sure the playbook is still around and just haven't been to those pages yet. they literally just need to have better gameplans and use the playbook to tailor to our players strengths especially a lot more motion with CD and some of these other guys from the backfield... i'd also like to see a few more sluggo type things , you know get some routes to where they don't all end right in front of the DB's...

Sydla

Reaction score
That’s all great and your opinion. I just don’t agree. The team has been considerably better since he has become HC. Could they do better? Maybe. But again, they are definitely better than they were prior to his arrival.
What constitutes considerably better? He's gotten no further than Garrett in the playoffs. His teams are undisciplined on the field as evident by the consistently high penalties each year.

I said I was surprised that McCarthy had so many supporters but honestly, that was a foolish statement considering how many people routinely defended Garrett year after year after year after year. I guess some seem intent on repeating the same exercise.

Tommy

Reaction score
Problem is Mike doesn't know the recipe to begin with.

But sure, let's keep giving McCarthy a pass. LOL. Maybe another Garrett-esque run of ineptitude will finally help our fans be able to realize when a coach has it and when he doesn't after only a few years.
Bill Belichick has suddenly become inept also. Have you noticed?

Or do you think if he suddenly got a prime Tom Brady at QB he would get it all back again.

If Andy Reid become our OC tomorrow CowboysZone would be complaining about the playcalling by the end of the season because he would need to make the offense "Dak friendly." Which is code for simplifying it.

HungryLion

Reaction score
What constitutes considerably better? He's gotten no further than Garrett in the playoffs. His teams are undisciplined on the field as evident by the consistently high penalties each year.

I said I was surprised that McCarthy had so many supporters but honestly, that was a foolish statement considering how many people routinely defended Garrett year after year after year after year. I guess some seem intent on repeating the same exercise.
Whatever you say buddy. And yeah he is way better than Garrett. Come on.

Sydla

Reaction score
let's blow it up Mike can't fix the dak......
Fire Dak to the Sun
Send McCarthy to the Moon
Hire a young, bright offensive guy (OC from Seattle looks good)
Draft a QB in the 2024 draft
New OC works with rookie QB and Lance
Hope and Pray one QB works out

Sydla

Reaction score
Bill Belichick has suddenly become inept also. Have you noticed?

Or do you think if he suddenly got a prime Tom Brady at QB he would get it all back again.

If Andy Reid become our OC tomorrow CowboysZone would be complaining about the playcalling by the end of the season because he would need to make the offense "Dak friendly." Which is code for simplifying it.
There is zero doubt that if Andy Reid came here, he'd have Dak and this offense looking more competent than what McCarthy is spitting out there. And note to Captain, that's not an endorsement of Dak who is mediocre and should be sent packing if this season finishes like previous ones. But there's no doubt a Hall of Fame coach could squeeze more out of this offense than McCarthy and it's kind of crazy to suggest he couldn't.

MoistMayonnaise

Devil's Advocate
Reaction score
MM is gonna OC himself out of a job. The head coaches' job is to get the most out of the team, and he's not doing it by calling plays.

Plankton

Reaction score
So he had issues with the GM after MM left. LaFluer not a very good middle man then.
Rodgers' issues with the GM were direct, and was not the responsibility of the coach to mediate or fix. Rodgers was pissed that the GM didn't provide him with weapons via the draft or free agency, and had to work with mid to lower round draft picks as receiving targets. He also felt that Gutekunst was arrogant (ironic, I know) and not willing to listen.

None of that is the domain of the head coach to manage. Rodgers' issues with McCarthy were part having the same voice in his ear for 12 years, and part a stagnation of the offensive design. In the second part of that, Rodgers was not wrong.

Sydla

Reaction score
MM is gonna OC himself out of a job. The head coaches' job is to get the most out of the team, and he's not doing it by calling plays.
And the problem is that he has said in the past that one of his biggest mistakes was giving up playcalling in GB.

So he is stubbornly going to keep continue calling plays OR Jerry will make him give them up only to have the OC be a McCarthy puppet. He only kept Moore when he took the job because Jerry basically made it a condition of his hire.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Rodgers' issues with the GM were direct, and was not the responsibility of the coach to mediate or fix. Rodgers was pissed that the GM didn't provide him with weapons via the draft or free agency, and had to work with mid to lower round draft picks as receiving targets. He also felt that Gutekunst was arrogant (ironic, I know) and not willing to listen.

None of that is the domain of the head coach to manage. Rodgers' issues with McCarthy were part having the same voice in his ear for 12 years, and part a stagnation of the offensive design. In the second part of that, Rodgers was not wrong.
pretty much how it works once your quarterback starts getting paid so much.... i mean they literally got rid of hill and other talent and Mahomes is doing it with lesser-known talent.. i mean last year they literally did with WRBC and running back by committee.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
the defense coordinator is fine, the offensive coordinator sucks because he couldn't fix dak, Kellen moore sucked because he couldn't fix dak but some new guy is going to come in and fix the dak. Now we need Andy Reid or somebody else to fix the dak. Lol, like the previous poster said, andy would dumb the offense down for dak like the last two guys. Then we would see the lets fire Reid and get some high school coach because he couldn't fix the dak.

lol..okay sounds like the plan

Tommy

Reaction score
There is zero doubt that if Andy Reid came here, he'd have Dak and this offense looking more competent than what McCarthy is spitting out there. And note to Captain, that's not an endorsement of Dak who is mediocre and should be sent packing if this season finishes like previous ones. But there's no doubt a Hall of Fame coach could squeeze more out of this offense than McCarthy and it's kind of crazy to suggest he couldn't.
Our offense would not look like the Chiefs. It would look "dumbed down."

Then CowboysZone would start complaining about our boring offense and what happened to Andy Reid and why he doesnt have Dak roll out and make plays like Patrick Mahome's does.

Andy Reid's resume looks like a lot of other coaches who dont have a great QB. No championships.

Sydla

Reaction score
the defense coordinator is fine, the offensive coordinator sucks because he couldn't fix dak, Kellen moore sucked because he couldn't fix dak but some new guy is going to come in and fix the dak. Now we need Andy Reid or somebody else to fix the dak. Lol, like the previous poster said, andy would dumb the offense down for dak like the last two guys. Then we would see the lets fire Reid and get some high school coach because he couldn't fix the dak.

lol..okay sounds like the plan
No, the plan should be shitcan McCarthy and get a bright guy to work with QBs not named Dak because you gave him his pink slip as well.

If you want to try to get this franchise back to the NFCCG and SB, it's the only answer. Trying to fix Dak with a new OC/HC is foolish. Trying to salvage McCarthy with new QBs is foolish.

But this fanbase is often pretty foolish. And the two guys running the whole thing are definitely foolish. So we will likely get some half assed plan from them and the Cowboys will muddle along like they have been for 25+ years.

khiladi

Reaction score
Man how times were different regarding how great this offense looked to the Dak fanboys in Training Camp...

Sydla

Reaction score
Our offense would not look like the Chiefs. It would look "dumbed down."

Then CowboysZone would start complaining about our boring offense and what happened to Andy Reid and why he doesnt have Dak roll out and make plays like Patrick Mahome's does.

Andy Reid's resume looks like a lot of other coaches who dont have a great QB. No championships.
Of course it wouldn't look like the Chiefs offense. No one suggesting it would. But to suggest that Reid couldn't get more out of this offense and QB than McCarthy is hilarious.

I mean LOL. This reminds me of the guys who argued that if Garrett had Brady, he'd have won 6 SBs too. LOL, no he wouldn't have.

Sydla

Reaction score
Man how times were different regarding how great this offense looked to the Dak fanboys in Training Camp...
LOL, Training Camp hype posts are the best.

Oh man, I really think that dude we took in the 7th round is gonna kill it this year for us. He's tearing it up in shells! And what he did in that preseason game against the next electrical supplies assistant manager at Home Depot in Miami, FL was crazy.

LysleE

Reaction score
MM had Aaron Rodgers in GB where he enjoyed the majority of his success…and won a Super Bowl; arrogant *** or not, nobody can deny Rodgers’ talent.
MM had been out of football for several years and did a deep dive to re-examine his coaching philosophies and embraced analytics…no other teams scrambled to attain MM’s services; except JJ, who hosted MM for a slumber party and subsequently hired him.
Last year MM showed he had poor game awareness and clock management skills with many calling him to be fired. This year MM took control of the offense and was lauded as a genius during the first few games where the offense gained yards, but their inefficiencies were masked by strong defensive efforts
This year the offense under MM is conservative and doesn’t stress the defense; subsequently Dallas ranks 17th in YPG and 28th in red zone offense. Maybe the real narrative is that MM had a great QB to fun his offense in GB, and now he has Dak and as a result, MM is not as good as advertised.
I think the Cowboys’ offensive woes are a result of both poor play calling and poor execution by Dak…plenty of blame to go around and both have to work together quickly to fix these issues before getting into the meaty part of their schedule.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
No, the plan should be shitcan McCarthy and get a bright guy to work with QBs not named Dak because you gave him his pink slip as well.

If you want to try to get this franchise back to the NFCCG and SB, it's the only answer. Trying to fix Dak with a new OC/HC is foolish. Trying to salvage McCarthy with new QBs is foolish.

But this fanbase is often pretty foolish. And the two guys running the whole thing are definitely foolish. So we will likely get some half assed plan from them and the Cowboys will muddle along like they have been for 25+ years.
. Nothing changes, the crap stays the same and will continue to be the same from now and forever. Some people don't see it. Once the old fart is gone the next idiot in line and so on and so on.