Old Article Confirms My Suspicion that McCarthy is a Clueless OC

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
well as much as kellen moore's offense was wide open and we've been #1 A few times , it's well chronicled he had problems against better ds and strong front 7s struggled against the SF team twice and both Washington games against tampa bay game one... so at least right now we just need to ge....ed out maybe they can get it remedied..

but i'm going to have to repeat this for the third time in this thread

they assumed how great our defense was going to be GREAT ie elite just dont make mistakes and tailored the offense to be but more defensive friendly and hasn't worked out in two games we lost, has it? the defense was outright horrible so our offense struggled because it might have been unexpected.

they need to find something in between... you know doesn't have to be high risk but it can't be this conservative, i'm sure the playbook is still around and just haven't been to those pages yet. they literally just need to have better gameplans and use the playbook to tailor to our players strengths especially a lot more motion with CD and some of these other guys from the backfield... i'd also like to see a few more sluggo type things , you know get some routes to where they don't all end right in front of the DB's...
The D is far from elite. And the offense is far from consistent. So many issues right now between the two it feels like we will be chasing our tails all year long.

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
This team is full of nepotism and it starts with the owner and his mouth breather son. They didn't even interview any coaches before they settled for McCarthy and his lies about studying in the barn. From my understanding Jay Glazer had a lot to do with him begin hired here.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
MM is a dinosaur, and a not very smart one.

At least with a competent OC (Moore) and a competent DC (Quinn), the team stood a chance.

Now Dallas is stuck playing a low quality version of an obsolete scheme.

basel90

Reaction score
Back in Greenbay, McCarthy had difficulty adjusting to situations during games as well. Many also considered him to have the lowest football IQ of any coach in the league, which confirms my suspicion that replacing Kellen Moore's with McCarthy at OC was a massive mistake. If we brought in another play-caller, fine. But McCarthy doesn't have the acumen at OC to be an OC in the NFL. It's an interesting read.

From the article,

LINK:

not surprised. his body language and decisons indicate MM is a coach that was given a great chance with the cowboys, but the game has passed him . Green Bay management recognized this and let him go .

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rodgers' issues with the GM were direct, and was not the responsibility of the coach to mediate or fix. Rodgers was pissed that the GM didn't provide him with weapons via the draft or free agency, and had to work with mid to lower round draft picks as receiving targets. He also felt that Gutekunst was arrogant (ironic, I know) and not willing to listen.

None of that is the domain of the head coach to manage. Rodgers' issues with McCarthy were part having the same voice in his ear for 12 years, and part a stagnation of the offensive design. In the second part of that, Rodgers was not wrong.
Wonder how AR would have got along with Jerry over those same issues. :muttley:

Creeper

Reaction score
If you watched the game Sunday you can see some of what this article talks about. If McCarthy had a game plan for SF it wasn't apparent, and clearly, it did not work. Rodgers is a jerk most of the time but that does not make him wrong about McCarthy. Look at the results on the field. Is the offense underperforming? The answer is obvious.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Rumor was ole Mike was getting massages while Rodgers ran the offense. After these many games of ineptitude on offense? Starting to believe it....

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Here's the thing, though. I think McCarthy is a decent head coach. Just not really a strategy, Xs and Os guy. Think about it, Jimmy Johnson had the winning mindset, but he also prepared himself for it.

At times, he knew how to handle Jerry the same way Mike does. It's relatively genuine, at least for a little while. But Mike just tolerates the waves and rides them out the best way he can with the crazy fans and obviously ownership here. I personally think that McCarthy had a good feeling that he was going get beaten...

There's Still Hope

By week 5, you're coming into San Fran's home field, and everyone says they have so many Athletes. One thing is for sure, Fred Warner is a really good player too. All of their players looked athletic. But we have at least 13 weeks to prepare. And three months down the line, we could be a totally different team by then, at least as far as our guys look. They should be working on their physical conditioning as much as they possibly can, maybe hit a few peanut butter sandwiches....

But do you know how I know Mike is trying to work on it as much as he can? Because he and everyone else knows his job depends on the team performing. I still think, over the season, the Cowboys get better. He's done a good job in Dallas, in some areas. I'd like to see the scouts work with the coaches a little more. You know, like give them an overall profile that they want to hit on, and the scouts working on how to maximize player's abilities weekly.

Priorities Set the Standard

At the beginning of the season, Mike McCarthy talked about, something about some kind of "standard — on and off the Field."

I think we have that in Dallas. But right now, it's been a battle of egos.

I would like this team to remember that we still have other stars on this team like Lamb, Tyler Smith, and D Law. But seriously, this is a team sport. Let's stop talking about Parsons, and let's see how far he can push those around them and how far they can push him not to make it about his own ego. Because the standard is high. It truly could come down to the team who pushes themselves the most as far as speed, strength, conditioning the next time we meet. So, that means overtime after coming back from a whooping like that.

It's up to McCarthy to define the standard and implement it. It literally is usually the guy who puts in the most work during process of a season, and that usually comes from how high you set the standard to win. In other words, there's nothing standard about the standard. It means one thing at the NFL level: extreme standards. That's what NFL champions are about: the best teams are under extreme circumstances of competing against 31 other "best teams" with the same goal in mind.

My message. Don't get pumped up on yourself. Until you prove it. Otherwise, you're just talking about stats, and this team shouldn't be worried about stats. They should worry about wins.

Lastly, they should hang Kittle's t-shirt in the locker room for the remainder of the season as a reminder of what they're playing for, and work for it. That would be an extreme standard.

Last edited:

StarMan2112

Reaction score
When Big Mike gets fired at the end of the year, we need to take a hard look at Frank Smith Dolphins OC.

75boyz

Reaction score
It makes perfect Dallas Cowboys sense.
Hire an offensive 25 year playcalling head coach with the caveat that he will not call plays.
Then after 3 years, fire the playcaller to whom the head coach was supposedly being held back by and forced upon.

Then we begin to realize the head coach was fired at his last job for stale predictable offense that was the same reason that our other playcaller was just fired.
And now in the full 180 twist of irony, to wish that we still had the guy we fired.

Dallas Cowboy style.
Lol

Last edited:

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Glad we set the bar high here.

How about we expect our HC/OC to be better than just OK? I mean Garrett was OK. So many fans in this fanbase are seemingly OK with mediocre, whether it be our coaches or our QB. It's weird.
LOL , the cowboys get a participation trophy almost every year, so maybe that is "ok" with them, who needs a SB trophy when you get
a whole bunch of those participation trophys!

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
This is going to suck if the whole thing falls apart the same way it did in Green Bay.

Not going to jump the gun yet. The 49ers are going to make a lot of teams look silly this year.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Anybody who watched this guy on the sideline his last 2 years in Green Bay knows hes a clueless moron.
Apparently the whole league knew it except for Jerry.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
I mean, we are literally witnessing this in real life this year. We can discredit any ex player of McCarthy all we want, and that’s fine, however we are literally living in McCarthys offensive nightmare.

Offensively speaking, we are in a decline and with the personnel we have, that is embarrassing.

8FOR!3

Reaction score
They went to back to back NFCCG and Rodgers won a MVP after hiring LaFleur.

I never realized we had so many McCarthy apologists around here. I am kind of stunned.
I'm just calling it like I see it. This team has developed well under McCarthy and we've also seen some low points like Arizona and especially San Fran. I just feel like LaFleur gets all the hype bc he's younger and runs an "innovative" offense (28th in the NFL right now) but doesn't have any better results to speak for. In 10 years Mike McCarthy took Green Bay to the NFC Championship 4 times and got a Super Bowl out of it. LaFleur will have most likely been to the NFC Championship twice in 5 years. That's on the same track as Mike McCarthy so we'll see what his career trajectory looks like in a few more years.

NumOneQB

Reaction score
If there’s any truth to this, are we surprised at all that Jerruh hired him? One buffoon certainly loves another….