Olympic Soccer Thread

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
daschoo;4661402 said:
Mexico will have to do a lot more than win the Olympics to be worthy of being in the conversation of potential World Cup winners. Hell I'd say the English have a better chance of winning it and we all know how likely they are to do it (yes more likely than us Scots before any of the English members point that out).

no offense but you are just wrong.

mexico has been quite good for everyone for over a year now. they are a far more solid side than england.

mexico is the us' biggest rivals; i wouldnt pump them up if they werent quality but they very much are. they have no real weakness and a few top shelf players.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
MC KAos;4661313 said:
yup, even just fixing their goaltending would make them immensely better! romero sucks! he was responsible for 3 of the 4 goals germany scored on them in the world cup.

they rely on messi to control the ball and score. they play no defense and settle for long attack runs. its a typical fast break offense issue like in basketball. you get spoiled to that style then can't do anything else.

fun to watch but generally easy to have a bad game and get knocked out of tourneys.

Ren

Reaction score
Mexico at their best is on the same level as a decent Euro team like Denmark, they're not winning the world cup there's at least 10 teams that's going to be in that tournament that is way more likely to do that then them.
U23 squads is an after thought for most countries, so is the Olympic tournament

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Ren;4661434 said:
Mexico at their best is on the same level as a decent Euro team like Denmark, they're not winning the world cup there's at least 10 teams that's going to be in that tournament that is way more likely to do that then them.
U23 squads is an after thought for most countries, so is the Olympic tournament

ROFL. This is European soccer arrogance which is largely why most European teams are terrible.

Look at any major Euro soccer clubs and they are loaded with talent from South America.

Mexico has been good for a long time and is getting better. They were good before they won Olympic gold. Euro 2012 fielded like 4 decent sides. After that they didn't have anyone close to Mexico's quality. Mexico would have had a very real shot at winning Euro 2012 had they been in it. They won all 5 matches int he first half of this year including versus 2 Euro sides and easily besting Brazil.

People that do not understand their talent level haven't watched them play.

The Olympics features under 23 but the sides are loaded with guys who will play in the next World Cup.

In the 2010WC Mexico qualified for the World Cup knockout stage as did the US. France and Denmark did not.

When the games are played in Brazil, Mexico will have a huge edge over European comp. And Mexico will have its best players in their prime. Saying they have no chance is basically stupid.

Phoenix

Reaction score
Oooh! Can we please please please be allowed to "bump" this thread back up when the World Cup rolls around? :popcorn: :D

Ren

Reaction score
jterrell;4661444 said:
ROFL. This is European soccer arrogance which is largely why most European teams are terrible.

Look at any major Euro soccer clubs and they are loaded with talent from South America.

Mexico has been good for a long time and is getting better. They were good before they won Olympic gold. Euro 2012 fielded like 4 decent sides. After that they didn't have anyone close to Mexico's quality. Mexico would have had a very real shot at winning Euro 2012 had they been in it. They won all 5 matches int he first half of this year including versus 2 Euro sides and easily besting Brazil.

People that do not understand their talent level haven't watched them play.

The Olympics features under 23 but the sides are loaded with guys who will play in the next World Cup.

In the 2010WC Mexico qualified for the World Cup knockout stage as did the US. France and Denmark did not.

When the games are played in Brazil, Mexico will have a huge edge over European comp. And Mexico will have its best players in their prime. Saying they have no chance is basically stupid.

Call it European arroance if you want, it doesn't change the fact that you have to go 10 years back in time to find a non Euro world champion, in the last world cup 3 of the final 4 teams where from Europe, it sure is a terrible continent for Soccer :rolleyes:

I actually i gave Mexico a compliment comparing them to someone like Denmark who's currently ranked #10 on the Fifa rankings that fact that you consdier it an insult and euro arrogance to be compared to them really shows the limits of your knowlage on the subject. They're in almost every world cup and Euro cup and unlike Mexico and the US they don't get a free pass qualifying, they have to qualify in Europe. I guarantee you if the US and Mexico had to qualify in Europe they would not be WC regulars

Mexico does not match up well against the top European countries. They're about what England is, a team that might pull off and upset or 2 but not strong enough to go all the way when playing with the big boys

Ren

Reaction score
Phoenix;4661450 said:
Oooh! Can we please please please be allowed to "bump" this thread back up when the World Cup rolls around? :popcorn: :D

Bookmark it and bump it in 2 years, i guarantee you it won't be because Mexico just became world champs

MC KAos

Reaction score
Ren;4661461 said:
Call it European arroance if you want, it doesn't change the fact that you have to go 10 years back in time to find a non Euro world champion, in the last world cup 3 of the final 4 teams where from Europe, it sure is a terrible continent for Soccer :rolleyes:

I actually i gave Mexico a compliment comparing them to someone like Denmark who's currently ranked #10 on the Fifa rankings that fact that you consdier it an insult and euro arrogance to be compared to them really shows the limits of your knowlage on the subject. They're in almost every world cup and Euro cup and unlike Mexico and the US they don't get a free pass qualifying, they have to qualify in Europe. I guarantee you if the US and Mexico had to qualify in Europe they would not be WC regulars

Mexico does not match up well against the top European countries. They're about what England is, a team that might pull off and upset or 2 but not strong enough to go all the way when playing with the big boys

you make it sound like 10 years back to find a world champion not from europe is a big deal, its not the champions league, there is only a tournament every 4 years. the world cup has been held in europe 10 times, and only 4 times in south america, yet south american teams are only 1 back of europe in total titles. its going to be rough for a euro team to even make it into the semifinals, much less win the tournament.

and you can doubt mexico all you want, but they have been consistently winning big tournaments and making it further than ever in others, this current generation is borderline great. mexico would easily beat denmark or england. they USED to be at those team's level, but they have surpassed them in the last 2 years and their best players are still pretty young.

MC KAos

Reaction score
as for argentina, they remind me a lot of the olympic version of brazil, a LOT of firepower, but very vulnerable on defense. but like i said earlier, if only they could find a decent goalie, they would be exponentially better, they get scored on a lot because of romero's errors.

Ren

Reaction score
MC KAos;4661614 said:
you make it sound like 10 years back to find a world champion not from europe is a big deal, its not the champions league, there is only a tournament every 4 years. the world cup has been held in europe 10 times, and only 4 times in south america, yet south american teams are only 1 back of europe in total titles. its going to be rough for a euro team to even make it into the semifinals, much less win the tournament.

and you can doubt mexico all you want, but they have been consistently winning big tournaments and making it further than ever in others, this current generation is borderline great. mexico would easily beat denmark or england. they USED to be at those team's level, but they have surpassed them in the last 2 years and their best players are still pretty young.

Olympics is the first major tournament Mexico has ever won and most don't even consider it a major tournament since it's U23 squads. The Gold cup is a joke don't bother mentioning that. So what big tournaments have mexico won other the age specific?

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
daschoo;4661402 said:
Mexico will have to do a lot more than win the Olympics to be worthy of being in the conversation of potential World Cup winners. Hell I'd say the English have a better chance of winning it and we all know how likely they are to do it (yes more likely than us Scots before any of the English members point that out).

the latest FIFA rankings show how stupid the ranking system is, England is 3rd in the world

Arch Stanton

it was the grave marked unknown right beside
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;4661652 said:
the latest FIFA rankings show how stupid the ranking system is, England is 3rd in the world

Very true. We're not close to being rated 3rd in Europe let alone the Workd. LOL

Our footballers are overpaid and under performing prima donna jerks.

Even the coaches are overrated. Stuart (fist pump) Pearce? Please! Couldn't coach himself out of a paper bag.

If the English footballers put as much effort to improving their skills and teamwork as their compatriots in Cycling and Rowing we may have half a chance until then they'll just continue to piss away their money down the pub.

MC KAos

Reaction score
Ren;4661637 said:
Olympics is the first major tournament Mexico has ever won and most don't even consider it a major tournament since it's U23 squads. The Gold cup is a joke don't bother mentioning that. So what big tournaments have mexico won other the age specific?

So you want to eliminate every other tournament but the world cup and euro cup? Sorry, but the world doesn't revolve around Europe, those tournaments might be a "joke" to you but they matter here. Gold cup participant costa rica almost beat Spain in a friendly this year, Honduras beat them in the Olympics, Mexico is starting to send tons of players to the top European leagues, concacaf and Asia aren't complete jokes in world soccer anymore

Phoenix

Reaction score
http://i46.***BLOCKED***/albums/f131/vsmith23/gif_catheadsjpg.gif

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
daschoo;4660668 said:
Mexico are not favourites to win the World Cup. Absolutely no chance.

They were a young team in the last World Cup and they are bringing back almost their entire squad.

I'm not picking them to win it but I think they will be a top headline at the next Cup.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Ren;4661461 said:

Why are bringing soccer stupid arguments?

FIFA rankings? ROFL. You know better than that. The ratings are meaningless and flawed.

Mexico is FAR better than the US. FAR better. I wish it weren't so but it is.
We have an aging Donovan and Dempsey but little star-caliber youth behind them. Mexico is loaded.

The only recent common opponent of Denmark and Mexico was Brazil. Denmark lost handily and Mexico won easily.

2 years from now is a long time but to assume Mexico has no chance shows a complete lack of Soccer knowledge. They have reached the Round of 16 in the last five World Cups. Chicarito plays for Man U and Dos Santos is even better.

As to 2010 World Cup the US was knocked out by a host African side and Mexico was booted by another South American club. France in a group with no other Euro clubs finished last. Greece as the only Euro club in their group did not qualify. England tied the US in grp 3 going in as the 2nd seed. Germany won their grp obviously but 2 other Euro sides fell behind Ghana and did not qualify. Italy did not win a game and did not qualify. The Swiss did not qualify. So yes Europe placed 3 teams in the Semi-Finals but also had the majority of the teams present and had the worst overall showings of anyone. Italy and France were embarrassingly bad.

Denmark made the 16 team Euro 2012 and did not advance to knock out play.

Any reasonable soccer fan knows Mexico is a top 10 club as they are playing right now. Denmark is not.

Ren

Reaction score
MC KAos;4662071 said:
So you want to eliminate every other tournament but the world cup and euro cup? Sorry, but the world doesn't revolve around Europe, those tournaments might be a "joke" to you but they matter here. Gold cup participant costa rica almost beat Spain in a friendly this year, Honduras beat them in the Olympics, Mexico is starting to send tons of players to the top European leagues, concacaf and Asia aren't complete jokes in world soccer anymore

World cup, Euro cup and Copa America are the big once

Africa is kinda inbetween

Age specific and other regional cups are not considered big, not because that's what i think but because they're actually not considered big. A team "almost beating Spain in a friendly" doesn't really change that neither does a U23 Honduras beating a Spanish U23 team.

I'm not trying to tell you not to be excited about it, it's your region so obviously it matters to you. What i am saying is it's a huge jump from winning a age specific trounament or the gold cup to being copetitive on the biggest stage.

Ren

Reaction score
jterrell;4662215 said:
Denmark made the 16 team Euro 2012 and did not advance to knock out play.

Any reasonable soccer fan knows Mexico is a top 10 club as they are playing right now. Denmark is not.

LOL you dismiss Fifa rankings then proceed to name friendly results to prove your point? that's like winning preseason dude.

Honestly Denmark was in a group with Portogual, Holland and Germany in the last Euro cup had Mexico taken their spot they would be lucky to come out of it with a single point.

Mexico was not a top 10 team prior to the olympics and their U23 team winning it doesn't change that at all. They are absolutely not favorites to win the 2014 world cup.

joseephuss

Reaction score
It is hard to take the results in friendlies too seriously. Portugal beat Spain in 2010 friendly 4-0 that was played shortly after the last World Cup. They could not beat Spain when it mattered.

I see Mexico is a dark horse favorite. Not because of this past Olympic game, but from what I have seen of them over the last few years. They have some good players. I don't think they are top tier favorite, but if things fall a certain way they have a chance.

Spain to me is still the top favorite. They are the champs. Brazil will be next because they are good and will be at home.

I think next years Confederations Cup will be an entertaining tournament. Brazil, Spain, Japan, Mexico, Uruguay, Tahiti, Italy and the eventual 2013 Africa Cup of Nations winner to be determined should make for some good games. Maybe it will provide a better idea of where Mexico stands. We will just have to see how well they perform. Not just results, but the overall level of play between them and whomever they play.

It should be noted that the U.S. beat Spain in the last Confederations Cup and that didn't mean too much other than on any given day an underdog can win. Spain dominated the game and just couldn't put the ball in the net while the U.S. was able to convert on their few opportunities. While an underdog can win a game, I don't know if they can play that poorly and win an entire tournament and the U.S. didn't in that instance. I eagerly await next June to watch the ConFeds Cup.

joseephuss

Reaction score
The current World Football Elo Ratings(FIFA rankings in parenthesis):

1. Spain(1)
2. Germany(2)
3. Brazil(13)
4. Uruguay(4)
5. England(3)
6. Netherlands(8)
7. Argentina(7)
8. Portugal(5)
9. Chile(15)