Olympic Soccer Thread

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;4652161 said:
that is the problem, there was no warning, she clearly was not up to the task of reffing that important a game.

The old bald guy who reffed soccer, Collina would NEVER have allowed himself to be the talk of a game of that magnitude. He was in control, didn't allow one side to intimidate him, hell if anything, if Abner Wambauch had counted out the seconds to him like he did to the Norwegian ref, Collina would have deliberately NOT called a foul just to show he was in control.

It is too bad FIFA had such an incompetent ref do that important a game. The talk should be about the game, not the screw job one team took.

Maybe Solo was right, there is a lot of sex going on over in the olympics, after all, one Norwegian screwed 33 million yesterday.

...attempting to influence a referee to make a call is consider "unsportsman like play" and can be subject to a warning and eventually a card.

Even if any US player is "assisting" in the refereeing the correct way to handle this is to discuss this with the player and ask them to stop.

Give warnings, don't affect the outcome of the game. Let the players do that with their athleticism.

Really what this is all about is a referee taking control of the game and keeping it from coming down to frustration and criticism.

What is sadly lost in this whole affair is a beautiful header by Morgan in the dying minutes.

It was a fabulous set up for a soccer match and if I was the TV broadcaster I couldn't have set up a better ending.

It was a good match with a flawed ref and both teams played their hearts out. We were the beneficiaries of an excellent match.

burmafrd

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;4652408 said:
you can't say that was deliberate though, the video isn't conclusive.

and not kicking a player out is not the same as giving another team what is basically a sure goal

now there is talk FIFA might compound the problem by suspending Sinclair and Tancredi for their comments after the game.

Actually McLeod just said she was NEVER given a formal warning.

I guess no video is ever conclusive to you

ologan

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;4653827 said:
I don't think it was deliberate but if it was, the american must have deserved it :)
:laugh2: Now that's funny! You're too young to be needing glasses, so it must be brain lock!

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
ologan;4653912 said:
:laugh2: Now that's funny! You're too young to be needing glasses, so it must be brain lock!

interesting though it is only getting play in the US, no one up here is mentioning it.

Even if Mel the Innocent should have been cruelly red carded, it does not take away from fact the Norwegian gave the USA a goal that shouldn't have been awarded.

ologan

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;4653944 said:
interesting though it is only getting play in the US, no one up here is mentioning it.

Even if Mel the Innocent should have been cruelly red carded, it does not take away from fact the Norwegian gave the USA a goal that shouldn't have been awarded.

So I guess a goal given by a Norwegian, fair or not, goal or not, is the same as a blatant assault/battery against a defenseless player lying on the ground? If the goal had not been allowed, would you then look at the assault in a different light? I await this answer, because it will speak volumns about your sense of propriety and fairness.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
ologan;4653961 said:
So I guess a goal given by a Norwegian, fair or not, goal or not, is the same as a blatant assault/battery against a defenseless player lying on the ground? If the goal had not been allowed, would you then look at the assault in a different light? I await this answer, because it will speak volumns about your sense of propriety and fairness.

'blatant assault and battery" :lmao2: hyperbole much?

I would still say it is inconclusive as to intent, she never looks down to see where the head is.

It is still not the same as giving a goal to the other team.

I do believe that bloggers and posters here raising this issue is simply a way to deflect from the real issue.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;4653827 said:
I don't think it was deliberate but if it was, the american must have deserved it :)

good luck in your bronze medal match.....we have a date with Japan for the Gold and redemption for the loss in the last World Cup final

burmafrd

Reaction score
does anyone really expect anything different from Canadian?

He will deny that anything happened no matter what.

He still believes OJ is out looking for the real murderers.

Canada180

bannedontherun88
Reaction score
burmafrd;4654310 said:

This thread is fascinating.

And I thought this board was passionate about the NFL.

LOL

Canada just won the bronze against a tough French squad that really deserved to win. They had the better of the play as Canada seemed spent .

For the Canadian team this really was a wild ride. 3 down in one game and came back only to lose. Soccer teams dont usually come back from a 3 goal deficit thats for sure. Then the game agaist the Americans. That was as exxciting as it comes, win or lose for both sides when you forget about poltics and refereeing.

Then this game with a goal in the dying seconds to claim a medal.

Amazing drama.

Heres hoping for more of the same from the final.

The Japanese are very skilled and the US will have their hands full.

The Japanese were very skilled in the close support game in tight quartes. The US will look to try and spread the game out wider.

Canada180-
Peace

Phrozen Phil

Reaction score
Canada180;4654435 said:

LOL

Canada just won the bronze against a tough French squad that really deserved to win. They had the better of the play as Canada seemed spent .

For the Canadian team this really was a wild ride. 3 down in one game and came back only to lose. Soccer teams dont usually come back from a 3 goal deficit thats for sure. Then the game agaist the Americans. That was as exxciting as it comes, win or lose for both sides when you forget about poltics and refereeing.

Amazing drama.

The Japanese were very skilled in the close support game in tight quartes. The US will look to try and spread the game out wider.

Canada180-
Peace

We're # 3! We're # 3!:D

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
burmafrd;4654310 said:

Marine, you are so cute when you're angry.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Canada180;4654435 said:

LOL

Amazing drama.

Canada180-
Peace

we never trailed 3-0 in any game, what are you talking about?

Lost 2-1 to Japan, won 3-0 over South Africa, tied 2-2 with Sweden (were down 2-0), beat UK 2-0, were robbed 4-3 and won 1-0

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
MC KAos;4655013 said:
My girl Alex with the assist! USA!

MY girl Hope's two SPECTACULAR leaping saves, trumps one measly assist!

;)

Great action so far. USA!...USA!

Canada180

bannedontherun88
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;4654763 said:
we never trailed 3-0 in any game, what are you talking about?

Lost 2-1 to Japan, won 3-0 over South Africa, tied 2-2 with Sweden (were down 2-0), beat UK 2-0, were robbed 4-3 and won 1-0

Geesh princess, I guess I made a simple mistake and they came back from being 2 down instead of 3 down..

That was what I was talkin about.... pretty hard to figurs that one out

Fact remains, that was a great comeback and the Canucks have been exciting to watch

erickb

Reaction score
DallasCowpoke;4655057 said:
MY girl Hope's two SPECTACULAR leaping saves, trumps one measly assist!

;)

Great action so far. USA!...USA!

Um thats my girl! My daughter trains with her keeper coach here in the Seattle area so um yea waiting to use my in :laugh2: