Olympic Soccer Thread

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Canada180;4655156 said:
Geesh princess, I guess I made a simple mistake and they came back from being 2 down instead of 3 down..

That was what I was talkin about.... pretty hard to figurs that one out

Fact remains, that was a great comeback and the Canucks have been exciting to watch

actually, you were wrong on two points, you said were down 3, came back but lost, that is not just one measly mistake.

Canada180

bannedontherun88
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;4655539 said:
actually, you were wrong on two points, you said were down 3, came back but lost, that is not just one measly mistake.

A sportscaster after the US game mistakenly offered up those stats.

My apologies for rehashing that info.

I'll have him fired.

MC KAos

Reaction score
awesome win by the girls! i just wish i could watch the men's final, should be a really good game as well.

StevenOtero

Reaction score
MC KAos;4655013 said:
My girl Alex with the assist! USA!

DallasCowpoke;4655057 said:
MY girl Hope's two SPECTACULAR leaping saves, trumps one measly assist!

;)

Great action so far. USA!...USA!

Y'all are only limiting yourself to one of em?

Why not a Alex Morgan & Hope Solo sandwich? :laugh2:

Phoenix

Reaction score
Brazil vs Mexico for the Gold Medal, and we're off! And what a start by Mexico!!

Ren

Reaction score
great opening by Mexico but i still think Brazil wins this comfortably

Phoenix

Reaction score
Ren;4658324 said:
great opening by Mexico but i still think Brazil wins this comfortably

Nope....Mexico is all OVER Brazil! 2-0 now, and could easily be 4-0. Brazil has little chance methinks.

Phoenix

Reaction score
Wow! Brazil woke up too late...they looked like a completely different team during the stoppage time, the final three minutes. Hulk scored a great goal just in to stoppage time to bring it to 2-1 Mexico, then Oscar missed a golden opportunity on a header, from a Hulk kick, right at the end. Turned out to be a pretty good match! Congratulations to Mexico on their first ever Olympics soccer medal!

Ren

Reaction score
Congrats to Mexico, did not think even at 2-0 that they would pull this off

baj1dallas

Reaction score
Bizwah;4648391 said:
I'm really not versed in soccer at all.....so, this may seem like a dumb question.

But what is it with the offsides penalty?

I know what it is....but what's the big deal with someone running behind the defense. To me, that's a good play. The defense needs to adjust.

Is there some kind of logic...or is it in place to keep scoring down?

It's to keep people from camping out in front of the other team's goal, just waiting for a long shot down field. It doesn't necessarily keep scoring down, it makes the game flow better.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
Phoenix;4658414 said:
Wow! Brazil woke up too late...they looked like a completely different team during the stoppage time, the final three minutes. Hulk scored a great goal just in to stoppage time to bring it to 2-1 Mexico, then Oscar missed a golden opportunity on a header, from a Hulk kick, right at the end. Turned out to be a pretty good match! Congratulations to Mexico on their first ever Olympics soccer medal!

Mexico was really solid defensively until Brazil just went balls out and put in like 8 goal scorers. What a great game, how about a rematch final in 2 years time?

MC KAos

Reaction score
not entirely surprised mexico won, they have been on a tear recently, this is definitely their golden generation, they are a serious threat to win the world in 2 years. also, the better mexico gets, the better it will be for the US, it will raise the bar and make us match it, its only a good thing. here is a tweet from grant wahl, and i agree wholeheartedly...

Grant Wahl ‏@GrantWahl
I'll put it this way. My top 6 contenders for World Cup '14 right now: Spain, Brazil, Uruguay, Argentina, Germany, Mexico #SIeod

with the world cup being in south america, i think this is 100% true, there wont be a dark horse euro team winning there, like italy, its going to take a great team like spain or germany to win down there. paraguay is a dark horse, with the way they play defense, how good their goalie is, and how great they are at mucking up a game.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
MC KAos;4658816 said:
not entirely surprised mexico won, they have been on a tear recently, this is definitely their golden generation, they are a serious threat to win the world in 2 years. also, the better mexico gets, the better it will be for the US, it will raise the bar and make us match it, its only a good thing. here is a tweet from grant wahl, and i agree wholeheartedly...

Grant Wahl ‏@GrantWahl
I'll put it this way. My top 6 contenders for World Cup '14 right now: Spain, Brazil, Uruguay, Argentina, Germany, Mexico #SIeod

with the world cup being in south america, i think this is 100% true, there wont be a dark horse euro team winning there, like italy, its going to take a great team like spain or germany to win down there. paraguay is a dark horse, with the way they play defense, how good their goalie is, and how great they are at mucking up a game.

couldn't agree more.
i'd pick mexico as early favorites. close to home and far less pressure and media noise than mexico.

i'd remove argentina as an early favorite(wayy too sloppy of late and rely on messi far too much) but the other 5 imho are set for long runs. I'd put in Portugal ahead of Argentina.

i'd put both england and us in that 10-12 range.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Argentina's problem isn't relying on Messi too much. It is a lack of solid defense and goalkeeping. They have plenty of offensive weapons to go along with Messi.

daschoo

Slanje Va
Reaction score
jterrell;4660079 said:
couldn't agree more.
i'd pick mexico as early favorites. close to home and far less pressure and media noise than mexico.

i'd remove argentina as an early favorite(wayy too sloppy of late and rely on messi far too much) but the other 5 imho are set for long runs. I'd put in Portugal ahead of Argentina.

i'd put both england and us in that 10-12 range.

Mexico are not favourites to win the World Cup. Absolutely no chance.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
daschoo;4660668 said:

No but a good dark horse pick. They should have done better last World Cup.

MC KAos

Reaction score
daschoo;4660668 said:

they are not THE favorite, but they are among the favorites, their golden generation will be entering their prime in 2 years, they certainly have a chance to win it.

MC KAos

Reaction score
joseephuss;4660209 said:
Argentina's problem isn't relying on Messi too much. It is a lack of solid defense and goalkeeping. They have plenty of offensive weapons to go along with Messi.

yup, even just fixing their goaltending would make them immensely better! romero sucks! he was responsible for 3 of the 4 goals germany scored on them in the world cup.

daschoo

Slanje Va
Reaction score
Mexico will have to do a lot more than win the Olympics to be worthy of being in the conversation of potential World Cup winners. Hell I'd say the English have a better chance of winning it and we all know how likely they are to do it (yes more likely than us Scots before any of the English members point that out).