On June 22, 2017 Derek Carr was signed a 5-year $125m contract extension

Tussinman

Reaction score
How are you struggling with this very basic concept?
Because reality is your completely downplaying/disrespecting the most valuable and hardest to find position in football.......

Yes it is a basic concept that your struggling to understand. Franchise QB's are incredible rare, we have one whose going to get paid.

Literally the only alternative is draft a young guy, waste the careers of are current HOF players, let him maybe get as good as Dak and then watch him get paid 40 million a year........

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
LOL at still citing Pro Bowls as a big accomplishment when the last Pro Bowl, he was like the 7th choice in the NFC.

Its everything hes accomplished. One pro bowl as the 3r or 4th replacement? Nothing great. But two pro bowls in your first 3 years on top of all the other accomplishments just makes the Trolls like you look foolish.

Kinda like outta the entire list I mentioned you picked out, ONE pro bowl where he was an a 3rd alternate. Petty troll foolery.

Dak Prescott, our franchise QB and ONLY getting better.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Yes, you probably save money signing him today rather than in April 2020. But to me, that's worth it to protect yourself from the downside, which is you give him a Wentz-esque contract now, he goes out and plays inconsistent in 2019.
Yep, just simply wait and let other teams make things more expensive. Brilliant!

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Agree to disagree. The "some of you just don't get it " doesn't make sense. It's all opinions.

With some opinions, you can clearly see it shows a lack of understanding of the dynamics of:

-QB play
-the relation to the QB and the offense
-the relation to the QB and the players around him
-the relation to the QB and the coaching
-the growth of a young QB to that maturation of a QB in his prime.

exciter

Reaction score
Well reports are Dak never asked for 40 million. I've seen this story before. I saw it when Dez's turn to get paid and we are seeing it now with Zeke and even with Lawrence. Lawrence apparently wanted Khalil Mack money and wouldn't budge. That was proven to be false just like this Dak rumor is. The plan is to turn public opinion and fans against Dak to try and get him and his camp to take less. Its a pathetic attempt in negotiation to dog a guy out you consider a franchise qb but it is negotiation nonetheless.

For all we know Dak would've taken the 30 million if it had more guarantees in it. We have no idea what that contract looked like. I think all of those guys are stupid who took those team friendly deals like Kapernick did.

He wants to be paid his worth. And that's the thing. Teams are smart and don't let their good quarterbacks go. Especially one with Dak's resume. So you are praying to find a guy in 2 or 3 years? That makes no sense lol. IF a guy is available in 2 or 3 years he must suck lol.
Daks resume? He's impotent without either a elite rb or a #1 receiver. He's never surpassed 4k yards passing. McCoy or Keenum will be a FA next year. We could get the same production from one of the at a 1/4 of the price. Tag him and let him test the market. Bet no other team offers him anywhere 30million because there's been nothing about his career indicating hes worth that much!

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
You are arguing semantics at this point. How Dak compares to the 2nd string QB in Buffalo is meaningless.

Where does Dak fit in the pecking order of staring QBs? Right now, he's closer to 15th than 5th. So he's closer to being an average starting QB than a great one.

How are you struggling with this very basic concept?

Says who? There are categories where Dak is far from average.

And if Dak is actually 15th in his 3rd year, then where will be be by the end of his 5th year? You show a complete lack of understanding of QB development.

Sydla

Reaction score
Because reality is your completely downplaying/disrespecting the most valuable and hardest to find position in football.......

Yes it is a basic concept that your struggling to understand. Franchise QB's are incredible rare, we have one whose going to get paid.

Literally the only alternative is draft a young guy, waste the careers of are current HOF players, let him maybe get as good as Dak and then watch him get paid 40 million a year........

Let's take each of your points:

1) I am not downplaying it. Having a legit, top level QB is pretty much essential to winning in this league at the highest levels (granted, there are some exceptions - Flacco, Dilfer). It's also hard to find legitimately great QBs. But because I have one that is about the 12-14th best starting QB in the league doesn't mean I have to get stupid and throw oodles of money at him right now either.

2) Define franchise QB. I differentiate between QBs that are good enough to be a QB of a team for a few years and QBs that are great and can lead teams to SBs. People looked at Jameis Winston as a franchise QB. But is he a "great" QB? Do you think Winston can win a SB?

3) Your last paragraph is simply just fear mongering instead of seeing the reality of the situation. One, you don't have to waste their careers because even if you don't sign Dak today, you aren't losing him. He's under contract for another year and you can tag him for a few more. So in this "window" we don't have to necessarily start over at QB if we don't sign Dak before this season starts. The flipside to this is you pay Dak a crap ton of money and he continues to be just that average starting QB ranked in the 12-15 range and likely not good enough to win a SB?

Note, nowhere have I said never sign Dak. I've said make him play out 2019 (or part of it) under his current deal and figure out what kind of QB he's become.

Sydla

Reaction score
Yep, just simply wait and let other teams make things more expensive. Brilliant!

Try to beat the market to the punch and end up signing what turns out to be an average starting QB oodles of money and eat up tons of cap space when you don't have to. Brilliant!

Sydla

Reaction score
Says who? There are categories where Dak is far from average.

And if Dak is actually 15th in his 3rd year, then where will be be by the end of his 5th year? You show a complete lack of understanding of QB development.

Who knows where he will be at the end of his 5th year. You just assume he will get better. He might. He also might flat line and be the same QB we have seen to date which isn't a bad QB by any stretch, but also isn't a great QB.

You realize it's possible he won't right? I mean he won't be the first QB in the history of the NFL that didn't really progress. I mean look at the guy that prompted this thread. Derek Carr. The Raiders paid him using the same premise you are............ oh, he's definitely going to get better.

How'd that work out? You constantly insult people with that "you guys don't understand QB development". Despite the fact that history is littered with guys who came into the league, showed some talent and never actually developed.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Who knows where he will be at the end of his 5th year. You just assume he will get better.

You realize it's possible he won't right? I mean he won't be the first QB in the history of the NFL that didn't really progress. I mean look at the guy that prompted this thread. Derek Carr. The Raiders paid him using the same premise you are............ oh, he's definitely going to get better.

How'd that work out?

Common sense. Which you obviously have little of. Dak is a hard worker with all the intangibles. I also understand what type of QB he was in college.

All those things point to the kid getting much better. Its not Dak fault that a troll like you cant comprehend that.

I mean QB's getting better from when they start their careers? Who knew? LOL

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Why do fans always rant about players salaries.But never question about what the owners make. Jerry Jones purchashed a 250mil yacht. Everyone just said wow. Dak ask for 40mil everyone loses their minds including the team he plays for...smh

People don't like to hear about others having big dollars but they REALLY don't like it when they think the person that has it is beneath them like a "dumb jock." That's what's really going on in some of these posts. That's why as much as people want to call someone like Dez an idiot, they still have call him their financial superior and they hate that to eternity.

Big D

Reaction score
No, I was trying to show that Dak wasn't dealing with slop while Ryan had all the advantages.
I hear you. It does highlight the point that football is the ultimate team game. Comparing teams qbs based on stats really doesn't tell the whole story. We currently have a great team I'd think you'd want to keep it together and improve on instead of hitting the reset button hoping it gets better. Dak as garbage as he is managed to get our offense to score more points against the vaunted Rams defense than anyone in the playoffs including the patriots. We were just a DT and possibly a defensive coordinator away from making the superbowl imo.

Sydla

Reaction score
Common sense. Which you obviously have little of. Dak is a hard worker with all the intangibles. I also understand what type of QB he was in college.

All those things point to the kid getting much better. Its not Dak fault that a troll like you cant comprehend that.

I mean QB's getting better from when they start their careers? Who knew? LOL

LOL. So it's common sense that Dak is definitely going to get much better? So there has never been a hard working QB with good intangibles that simply never really progressed beyond just being a decent starting QB in this league? They all just progress into great QBs?

You might be the worst debater on this site. Well, there's Rockport, so I take that back.

BigD_95

Reaction score
Wentz just signed his contract and he is above Dak as a QB - so whatever Dak gets it should be less than Wentz. Thats not being a troll. Thats being realistic. NFL executives just voted Dak 3rd tier. Way below Wentz. Pretty much every NFL explayer or coach you watch do interviews agrees that Dak should take the top 5 QB money and be happy cause that is over paying him. Call people trolls all you want but Dak isnt a great QB. He is not a top QB and putting that much money into him hurts the team.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
.............Derek Carr was signed a five-year, $125 million contract extension with $70 million in total guarantees which made him the highest paid player in the NFL.

Did Derek Carr's agent come to the table and say his client was the best quarterback in the league and deserved to be the highest paid player in the league? Of course not. But they knew the power of inflation. They knew that the higher the salary cap got the higher the salary of quarterbacks would get.

So where do you think that contract ranks just 2 years later?

1. Seahawks QB Russell Wilson: $35 million
2. Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger: $34 million
3. Packers QB Aaron Rodgers: $33.5 million
4. Eagles QB Carson Wentz: $32 million
5. Falcons QB Matt Ryan: $30 million
6. Vikings QB Kirk Cousins: $28 million
7. 49ers QB Jimmy Garoppolo: $27.5 million
8. Lions QB Matthew Stafford: $27 millio
9. Raiders QB Derek Carr: $25 million

So in just TWO YEARS........Derek Carr went from being the highest paid quarterback in the league to #9. And actually with the Tom Brady extension he may actually be #10 if I'm not mistaken.

So what's my point? I'm sure its obvious to many. Dak may sign a contract that makes him top 3 highest paid but with guys like Goff, Mariota, Winston, Mayfield, Allen, Darnold, etc. coming up in the next couple of years? That deal won't even be top 10 especially if you factor in the veterans who will need new deal coming up.
Thr deal was viewed as bad when he signed it. It hasn't gotten better. And woe Don the ground is that the Raiders are looking closely at the next qb draft class.

Oh and how have the raiders fared paying a not great qb great qb money?

Sydla

Reaction score
Why do fans always rant about players salaries.But never question about what the owners make. Jerry Jones purchashed a 250mil yacht. Everyone just said wow. Dak ask for 40mil everyone loses their minds including the team he plays for...smh

A few reasons.

1) The owners bought the team, they took the financial risk at the time, so they can pay themselves whatever they want.

2) It's not the salaries of the players that is the issue. It's the reality that we operate in a league with a salary cap. Crap, if the Cowboys wanted to pay Dak $50MM in an uncapped league, I (and I guess most fans) wouldn't care one bit. If the NFL were an uncapped league, I bet most fans would be screaming at Jerry to overpay for every great player to build a great team. But when the realities of salary cap are taken into account, it makes sense why fans might have issues paying player A or player B or player C a certain amount of money. What's interesting is that we saw up close the realities of screwing up a cap and how it can handcuff you for a few years.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Try to beat the market to the punch and end up signing what turns out to be an average starting QB oodles of money and eat up tons of cap space when you don't have to. Brilliant!
That's a much better risk than your wait and see attitude. Which is why the team and Prescott are in negotiations.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Thr deal was viewed as bad when he signed it. It hasn't gotten better. And woe Don the ground is that the Raiders are looking closely at the next qb draft class.

Oh and how have the raiders fared paying a not great qb great qb money?
Well it doesn't look good because Carr has regressed. But that's any contract. You sign someone a contract and they could regress. That's a risk just like any other contract. Carson Wentz could be injured for the rest of his career. You think Philly are about the risk? Of course not. You can't sign or not sign guys out of fear.

Well of course the plan is for Dak to be better than average.

But how confident are you that he is or will be?

In other words, what's the downside in letting him play in 2019 under his existing deal and then making a determination on what to pay him?

Well I don't know but for the most part he's had two solid years of his career and one year where he looked decent initially and into a mess by seasons end. All at 26. I personally have never seen a guy go from having arguably the best rookie campaign of all time to never getting better at all. I guess RGIII would be the most recent guy to look at but IMO, his career becoming what it came was more so about the terrible organization and injuries than him.

But it's just not "popular." More than it was 10 years ago, maybe. But the ratings are dreadful. We're talking about the skinniest kid at fat camp here.

It's popular among a teeny tiny group of people.

In 10 years, soccer will be the number 2 sport in this country. In fact, it might number 1 if concussion fears and legal challenges kill the NFL and college football. Youth football is drying up in the DFW area. Some parts of the country are considering eliminating high school football from school systems.
Ok let's say you are right and sober becomes the #2 sport in this country. Its funny that you believe kids will flock to soccer and not basketball if concussion fears and legal challenges kill the NFL. If anything the NBA would become even MORE popular lol. The NFL dying is not happening anytime soon let's don't kid ourselves.

Soccer being popular doesn't mean NBA isn't. NBA and Soccer fans aren't of the same caliber. Two different fanbases. It will not be taking away from the NBA lol.

Nowhere was that ever said. Don't try the Strawman route with me.

Let me know when Dak is throwing 35 TD's to 7 INT's in a season and then we can make comparisons.
Its not a straw man argument its just showing the inconsistencies of this debate lol. What works in favor of Ryan doesn't for Dak for some strange reason.

Give Dak Julio Jones he too can stat pad at the end of games....won't look as good as Matt Ryan doing it but he surely can stat pad to a 7-9 season like Ryan did if you gave home the Falcons offensive playbook and Julio. I'd imagine most could.

Daks resume? He's impotent without either a elite rb or a #1 receiver. He's never surpassed 4k yards passing. McCoy or Keenum will be a FA next year. We could get the same production from one of the at a 1/4 of the price. Tag him and let him test the market. Bet no other team offers him anywhere 30million because there's been nothing about his career indicating hes worth that much!

Oh my goodness...DAk needs a running back and a receiver to succeed in the NFL.....wow. Just like...I don't know EVERY GOOD QB IN THE LEAGUE!!?!!!!!! Wow. Its so foreign that Dak needs good players to succeed. Wow. Who would've thought? Dak doesn't need to throw for 4k to win games. What's the point of throwing for 4k when you still lose like Matt Ryan and Stafford?\\
All true but it's kind of funny saying you don't trust them to evaluate QBs properly but then say, you know what, they've evaluated Dak properly and we should hand him a Top 3 contract...........

I don't recall saying they have evaluated Dak correctly. If I did then my mistake. They very well could be evaluating Dak wrong. I just said I don't trust their evaluation on any quarterback. What I've seen from Dak is where my evaluation of him comes from. But you are correct. They could be evaluating Dak wrong. That's where the risk comes in at.