On June 22, 2017 Derek Carr was signed a 5-year $125m contract extension

dwreck27

Reaction score
Interesting spin on this...

Either way.. when zeke got suspended Dak and the offense fell apart... we had to mid season panic trade a 1st round pick to acquire a very good WR to help lift up our QB

Everyone on that list essentially lifts up the team and makes them better. I feel like Dak is dependent on having others lift him up to be able to make the plays...

30-35 mill is where he should be... he should not ever *unless he wins 1 or 2 Super Bowls in the next 3 years* have his name tied too “Dak Prescott is highest paid QB currently”

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I don't really get the point of this thread. Is the point that we should pay Dak 35 and then wait for him to become D. Carr?

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Thr deal was viewed as bad when he signed it. It hasn't gotten better. And woe Don the ground is that the Raiders are looking closely at the next qb draft class.

Oh and how have the raiders fared paying a not great qb great qb money?

While I'm not a big fan of Carr's, the Raider's problems are not because of the contract they gave him, they go much deeper than that.

starfan1

Reaction score
Seriously?

Romo went up and down the field with ease in this offense. Scored a bajillion points.

Rodgers would cruise into the Super Bowl with this offense and playbook.
sorry but not even Rodgers would have done much with that dumpster fire that started 3-5 last year. hes a better QB than dak by a long shot but the problems we had last year and the prior year was not all on dak

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Interesting spin on this...

Either way.. when zeke got suspended Dak and the offense fell apart... we had to mid season panic trade a 1st round pick to acquire a very good WR to help lift up our QB

Everyone on that list essentially lifts up the team and makes them better. I feel like Dak is dependent on having others lift him up to be able to make the plays...

30-35 mill is where he should be... he should not ever *unless he wins 1 or 2 Super Bowls in the next 3 years* have his name tied too “Dak Prescott is highest paid QB currently”
Everyone on that list has receivers much better than Dak too. And Dak fell apart but this coaching staff fell apart too when Zeke and Tyron got hurt. Dak deserves his blame for that stretch but a 2nd year pro needed more from his coaching staff and got nothing.

erod

Reaction score
sorry but not even Rodgers would have done much with that dumpster fire that started 3-5 last year. hes a better QB than dak by a long shot but the problems we had last year and the prior year was not all on dak
I'm certainly not ever blaming everything on Dak, but you're crazy if you think last season wouldn't have looked completely different.

If you put Rodgers on this team last year for the full year, and Dak in Green Bay, what would the results have been?

I guarantee you we don't go 1-for-10 on third down against the Rams. We don't have 0 points in the middle of the 4th quarter in Carolina. We don't get shut out in Indianapolis. We don't get waxed by Tennessee at home. We don't lose in Houston. And we don't start 3-5.

Meanwhile, Dak wouldn't have won 3 games in Green Bay. They were awful.

I don't expect Dak to be Rodgers. He's one of a kind.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I'm certainly not ever blaming everything on Dak, but you're crazy if you think last season wouldn't have looked completely different.

If you put Rodgers on this team last year for the full year, and Dak in Green Bay, what would the results have been?

I guarantee you we don't go 1-for-10 on third down against the Rams. We don't have 0 points in the middle of the 4th quarter in Carolina. We don't get shut out in Indianapolis. We don't get waxed by Tennessee at home. We don't lose in Houston. And we don't start 3-5.

Meanwhile, Dak wouldn't have won 3 games in Green Bay. They were awful.

I don't expect Dak to be Rodgers. He's one of a kind.
You know Aaron Rodgers to me is the best quarterback in the league.........but when we discuss last year.....Dak was responsible for 29 touchdowns last season and made the post season. Rodgers was responsible for 27 touchdowns. Proof that even the best quarterback in the league needs help and rightfully so.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I don't really get the point of this thread. Is the point that we should pay Dak 35 and then wait for him to become D. Carr?
I think the point was that people are not putting things in a more proper context, Many fans are arguing that Dak isn't a top 5 or 10 QB and shouldn't be paid like one. Sounds fair, but the issue is that each player's contracts aren't re-negotiated after every year. You can really only compare QB contracts signed in the same year, the QB market is way to volatile to compare deals signed in previous years. That $25 million that sounded outrageous at the time, only 2 seasons later would be viewed as a bargain today. Same as the Cousins and Jimmy G deals only a year ago. In Carr's case, his cap hit is only as high as $25 million for one season and less than that for the life of the contract. They can get out of his contract after year 3 with minimal dead cap money. If they decide to keep him, they will doing so at a substantially smaller salary than other QBs will be signing by then.

Most fans see the yearly average and assume that is the cap hit every year, the real concerns are the guarantee, number of years and how it's structured.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Exactly. They've handed out some terrible contracts. They've drafted some terrible players. That's not on Carr's contract.
Yep several poor/lackluster drafts and having to pay premiums in the FA market, questionable coaching, poor decision making along the entire roster.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The point is the 30-35 million Dak signs for won't make him the highest paid quarterback in the league. You know the stuff you guys keep saying in every post?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yep several poor/lackluster drafts and having to pay premiums in the FA market, questionable coaching, poor decision making along the entire roster.
Yep. And that's how you truly screw your franchise. The NFL has it in place where you must spend money if you are under the cap. So basically you either spend it on your own guys or spend it in free agency on players other teams either didn't want or feel were worth big money. So you get a constant cycle of sucking until you are lucky to start hitting on draft picks and get out of it.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I think the point was that people are not putting things in a more proper context, Many fans are arguing that Dak isn't a top 5 or 10 QB and shouldn't be paid like one. Sounds fair, but the issue is that each player's contracts aren't re-negotiated after every year. You can really only compare QB contracts signed in the same year, the QB market is way to volatile to compare deals signed in previous years. That $25 million that sounded outrageous at the time, only 2 seasons later would be viewed as a bargain today. Same as the Cousins and Jimmy G deals only a year ago. In Carr's case, his cap hit is only as high as $25 million for one season and less than that for the life of the contract. They can get out of his contract after year 3 with minimal dead cap money. If they decide to keep him, they will doing so at a substantially smaller salary than other QBs will be signing by then.

Most fans see the yearly average and assume that is the cap hit every year, the real concerns are the guarantee, number of years and how it's structured.

If, IF, people actually paid attention and actually broke down contracts, that might make sense but they don't. I don't agree with this position at all. As I have maintained throughout, there is no need to continue to pay QBs or any player, based on what the guy just before you got. It's the wrong way to approach it and it's only a matter of time before the owners realize that this is a mistake. This is not going to last IMO. I guess we'll see.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
If, IF, people actually paid attention and actually broke down contracts, that might make sense but they don't. I don't agree with this position at all. As I have maintained throughout, there is no need to continue to pay QBs or any player, based on what the guy just before you got. It's the wrong way to approach it and it's only a matter of time before the owners realize that this is a mistake. This is not going to last IMO. I guess we'll see.
That's not how the world works. Guess what happens when you decide to start paying players less than market value? Or what happens when you decide to change the market and lowball everyone? They will just go to a team that will give them what they want lol. You think Kirk Cousins had anyone wanting to give him 28 million other than the Vikings lol? Even the Commanders didn't think he was worth that.

exciter

Reaction score
Well it doesn't look good because Carr has regressed. But that's any contract. You sign someone a contract and they could regress. That's a risk just like any other contract. Carson Wentz could be injured for the rest of his career. You think Philly are about the risk? Of course not. You can't sign or not sign guys out of fear.

Well I don't know but for the most part he's had two solid years of his career and one year where he looked decent initially and into a mess by seasons end. All at 26. I personally have never seen a guy go from having arguably the best rookie campaign of all time to never getting better at all. I guess RGIII would be the most recent guy to look at but IMO, his career becoming what it came was more so about the terrible organization and injuries than him.

Ok let's say you are right and sober becomes the #2 sport in this country. Its funny that you believe kids will flock to soccer and not basketball if concussion fears and legal challenges kill the NFL. If anything the NBA would become even MORE popular lol. The NFL dying is not happening anytime soon let's don't kid ourselves.

Soccer being popular doesn't mean NBA isn't. NBA and Soccer fans aren't of the same caliber. Two different fanbases. It will not be taking away from the NBA lol.

Its not a straw man argument its just showing the inconsistencies of this debate lol. What works in favor of Ryan doesn't for Dak for some strange reason.

Give Dak Julio Jones he too can stat pad at the end of games....won't look as good as Matt Ryan doing it but he surely can stat pad to a 7-9 season like Ryan did if you gave home the Falcons offensive playbook and Julio. I'd imagine most could.

Oh my goodness...DAk needs a running back and a receiver to succeed in the NFL.....wow. Just like...I don't know EVERY GOOD QB IN THE LEAGUE!!?!!!!!! Wow. Its so foreign that Dak needs good players to succeed. Wow. Who would've thought? Dak doesn't need to throw for 4k to win games. What's the point of throwing for 4k when you still lose like Matt Ryan and Stafford?\\

I don't recall saying they have evaluated Dak correctly. If I did then my mistake. They very well could be evaluating Dak wrong. I just said I don't trust their evaluation on any quarterback. What I've seen from Dak is where my evaluation of him comes from. But you are correct. They could be evaluating Dak wrong. That's where the risk comes in at.
There's players like Roger's, Brees, Brady, hell even Romo who make the players around them better. Dak needs elite players around him and still puts out average results and yet still wants to be paid like them.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score

It wouldn't last or continue if the salary cap remained constant and didn't continue to rise. The players are only making more money because the pool of money they are dividing is going up. It has lasted for almost 100 seasons.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
There's players like Roger's, Brees, Brady, hell even Romo who make the players around them better. Dak needs elite players around him and still puts out average results and yet still wants to be paid like them.

So if Rogers make players around him better than why the hell did he not even make the playoffs last year? Or why did Romo only have 1 playoff win throughout his career? Why did Brees have a string of 8-8 seasons of mediocrity? Brady got hurt and the Pats won 11 games without him. May be coaching has something to do with it? No?