On June 22, 2017 Derek Carr was signed a 5-year $125m contract extension

Sydla

Reaction score
The average QB doesn't even make it on an NFL roster 3 years let alone be a franchise starter for potentially a decade.

Finding a fringe top 12 starting QB isn't being "an average NFL QB". People like you aren't giving Dak enough credit.

32 starting QBs in the league.

A fringe Top 12 QB is pretty much close to league average. Or just above average if you feel bullish.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
People trust this organization to evaluate quarterbacks lol. ITs easy to find another Dak I have been told. As if top 3 picks don't bust every year lol.
Here's an example closer to home.

Aikman retires. Then we have:

Quincy Carter
Anthony Wright
Ryan Leaf
Clint Stoerner
Chad Hutchinson
Drew Hensen

Before we land another franchise QB. Yep, seems like it's a walk in the park.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
No, he's not overrated.

I think they all do. Save for the lone exception to every rule.
So you don't believe MVP caliber players should at least be able to make a playoff berth?

It would be a risk to take any of them and assume any will be top 3.

Exactly. But people like to use Dak in a argument as if he's any worse than that bunch. Yeah his contract is a risk no doubt but that's the name of the game. Scary not gonna win you many games.

Sydla

Reaction score
It's a point, no doubt. But what else do you do when you land a 4th round pick who hasn't missed a game and you're sold on him as a franchise QB? Let him walk so you can "save money?"
That makes very little sense. Finding another solid QB in ANY round is a difficult to impossible thing to do. That's not a gamble most franchises would take, that what fans who dislikes Prescott consider.

No, you don't let him walk.

But you also don't go stupid and just hand him a massive deal either.

Make him play out more games and see where his progression is. You have him under control for a few more years with the tag. Use it if you have to. There's no need to rush into a bad deal when you don't have to.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
32 starting QBs in the league.

A fringe Top 12 QB is pretty much close to league average. Or just above average if you feel bullish.
You're missing the point. Everyone expects an "elite" QB, but don't understand the definition or that it's rare.
Unless you have an alternative to Prescott?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And in many cases, some of those contracts will likely be a mistake.

I am not sure why the people keep making the basic argument of, "well other teams did it, so no biggie if we do it too" when it comes to signing Dak.

No, I don't want to be that team paying their mediocre QB $35MM AAV or whatever large number people are fine with. I just don't. That doesn't appeal to me and if that turns out to be the case, this team probably isn't going to be winning much either.

I'll reiterate my earlier point.

How many of the quarterbacks on that highest paid list were in the playoffs last year?

Are they the teams you wish to emulate?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
And in many cases, some of those contracts will likely be a mistake.

I am not sure why the people keep making the basic argument of, "well other teams did it, so no biggie if we do it too" when it comes to signing Dak.

No, I don't want to be that team paying their mediocre QB $35MM AAV or whatever large number people are fine with. I just don't. That doesn't appeal to me and if that turns out to be the case, this team probably isn't going to be winning much either.
Its not that "other teams did it". Other teams have tanked and drafted a qb and they became a bust. There's no right way to do it.

You keep using the argument of paying a mediocre qb 35 million. The plan is for Dak to be better than mediocre. That's why you have the Will McClay's to properly evaluate talent.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
No, you don't let him walk.

But you also don't go stupid and just hand him a massive deal either.

Make him play out more games and see where his progression is. You have him under control for a few more years with the tag. Use it if you have to. There's no need to rush into a bad deal when you don't have to.
That's how these silly market value's work. The QB's are the silliest. But that's beside the point. That's not Prescott's fault.

Tussinman

Reaction score
Tough luck. If your good enough to not only be a starting QB in the NFL but also a franchise long term QB your going to get paid.

You can't sit here and say "oh it doesn't appeal to me". Too bad. Cowboys could draft a 1st rounder, he gets slightly better than Dak in 3 or 4 seasons and guess what ? That QB will get 40 million dollars...... (you gonna cry about that as well ?)
A top 12 starting caliber NFL QB is something over half of the NFL roster won't ever see for an entire decade. That's not freaking average (jesus christ dude)

Sydla

Reaction score
People trust this organization to evaluate quarterbacks lol. ITs easy to find another Dak I have been told. As if top 3 picks don't bust every year lol.

You literally just said you don't trust the organization to properly evaluate QBs but then have been arguing in this thread that they should pay Dak top dollar. Maybe the franchise hasn't evaluated Dak properly?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
That's my thinking. No better candidate to use it on than the quarterback. And just because you have it doesn't mean you have to use it. Just that you can.
I agree. I honestly think Dallas would rather have that franchise tag in their hand when they are negotiating then have it used.

Sydla

Reaction score
You're missing the point. Everyone expects an "elite" QB, but don't understand the definition or that it's rare.
Unless you have an alternative to Prescott?

I don't need an alternative to Dak right now. He's under contract for 2019. I can tag him for at least two more years before his tag number becomes really excessive.

I can let him play in 2019 and approach him with a contract if he plays well for half the season or wait until after the season. If he balks, I can tag him and try to work out a deal in 2020. If he shows in 2019 he's more the bus driver than the put the team on your back type QB, then I've saved myself a lot of cap headaches and I can start looking for another long term option.

The flip side to this.............. I go out and sign Dak now and hand him a contract that has a $35MM AAV (or whatever over $32MM contract people want to hand him)........ and he plays like an average QB. I am now staring at the possibility that I am eating up massive cap space for 3-4 years on a QB that isn't really all that good.

Sure, if you sign him for $32MM and he plays well you may have a "bargain" and you might have to pay him $37MM next year if you don't sign him now. But to me, that's just the smart play and paying the premium is worth insuring myself against the downside.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You literally just said you don't trust the organization to properly evaluate QBs but then have been arguing in this thread that they should pay Dak top dollar. Maybe the franchise hasn't evaluated Dak properly?

I don't trust them. Not Stephen or Jerry. Not at all. Jerry wanted Johnny Manziel. Wanted Paxton Lynch over Dak. They low-key settled for Dak. People don't remember but there was a time when Jameil Showers and Dak Prescott were fighting against Kellen Moore for the backup quarterback spot. Kellen Moore who is our OC and Jameil Showers who's converted to safety.

Here's an example closer to home.

Aikman retires. Then we have:

Quincy Carter
Anthony Wright
Ryan Leaf
Clint Stoerner
Chad Hutchinson
Drew Hensen

Before we land another franchise QB. Yep, seems like it's a walk in the park.
I'm 30 years old.......that sadly is around the time when I started playing football and understanding it and damn was that a sad site to see. Fans bring up 20 years of misery but have confidence they can find another Dak even though they lucked into Dak and tried to draft Paxton Lynch and Connor cook lol.

Last I checked, it was a team sport. So that's a no.
So its a team sport when Ryan loses but when he wins its all on him?

Sydla

Reaction score
Its not that "other teams did it". Other teams have tanked and drafted a qb and they became a bust. There's no right way to do it.

You keep using the argument of paying a mediocre qb 35 million. The plan is for Dak to be better than mediocre. That's why you have the Will McClay's to properly evaluate talent.

Well of course the plan is for Dak to be better than average.

But how confident are you that he is or will be?

In other words, what's the downside in letting him play in 2019 under his existing deal and then making a determination on what to pay him?

Sydla

Reaction score
That's how these silly market value's work. The QB's are the silliest. But that's beside the point. That's not Prescott's fault.

It's not his fault. And it is silly.

But nowhere is it written that the Cowboys have to participate in this silliness while they still have some options at their disposal in how they will pay Dak.

You just are basically reiterating the point I made above............ it's apparently OK to hand out what could be a bad contract because, hey, other teams have done it too!

Sydla

Reaction score
Tough luck. If your good enough to not only be a starting QB in the NFL but also a franchise long term QB your going to get paid.

You can't sit here and say "oh it doesn't appeal to me". Too bad. Cowboys could draft a 1st rounder, he gets slightly better than Dak in 3 or 4 seasons and guess what ? That QB will get 40 million dollars...... (you gonna cry about that as well ?)
A top 12 starting caliber NFL QB is something over half of the NFL roster won't ever see for an entire decade. That's not freaking average (jesus christ dude)

LOL.

It's completely average. If there are, at least, 12 quarterbacks better than you, guess what? You are close to league average. Just because a few teams below you might struggle to find any QB worth anything doesn't mean that being 13th or 14th on a list of starting NFL QBs isn't still average.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So its a team sport when Ryan loses but when he wins its all on him?

Nowhere was that ever said. Don't try the Strawman route with me.

Let me know when Dak is throwing 35 TD's to 7 INT's in a season and then we can make comparisons.

Sydla

Reaction score
I don't trust them. Not Stephen or Jerry. Not at all. Jerry wanted Johnny Manziel. Wanted Paxton Lynch over Dak. They low-key settled for Dak. People don't remember but there was a time when Jameil Showers and Dak Prescott were fighting against Kellen Moore for the backup quarterback spot. Kellen Moore who is our OC and Jameil Showers who's converted to safety.

All true but it's kind of funny saying you don't trust them to evaluate QBs properly but then say, you know what, they've evaluated Dak properly and we should hand him a Top 3 contract...........