On June 22, 2017 Derek Carr was signed a 5-year $125m contract extension

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by rocyaice, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Northern_Cowboy

Northern_Cowboy Well-Known Member

1,972 Messages
    2,303 Likes Received
    I got your point my point was that the Raiders as an example screwed up making Carr the highest paid QB, so why should we follow that pattern and do the same for Dak

2. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

58,940 Messages
    64,032 Likes Received
    I'm not sure he has what it takes mentally. I still see too many braindead moments for a guy who's been in the league this long.

The physical talent is elite, I'm not sure the mental side will ever get there.

3. baltcowboy

baltcowboy Well-Known Member

2,143 Messages
    2,039 Likes Received
    Who won the game? Dak's clutch plays on the final drive won the game. That game meant everything for both teams. We went on to make the playoffs. They went into the tank.

4. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

45,274 Messages
    45,176 Likes Received
    Everyone fans/media/teams should switch to discussing pay in terms of percent of the salary cap.

Carr's 25M average was 14.97% of the cap when signed.

If the cap increases at the rate that it's been increasing the past 5 years, it will be about 203M for 2020.

15% of 203 is about 31M.

Aaron Rodgers 2013 contract: 17.9%
    Aaron Rodgers 2018 contract: 18.9%

Russell Wilson 2019 contract: 18.6%

18.9% of 203 is 38.7M.

5. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

48,713 Messages
    42,287 Likes Received
    Ask Dak to carry a team with his arm and lets compare. It wouldn't be close.

Dak just plays everything close to the vest and he gets a lot of good looks because of Zeke.

If I can get Derek Carr 20ish million or Dak for mid 30's then this isn't even a conversation.

Carr > Dak

WillieBeamen likes this.
  6. stasheroo

58,940 Messages
    64,032 Likes Received
    It's so they can sleep at night, knowing the quarterback is under contract long term, deserved or not. Just get it signed, and then worry about whether or not he's actually worth it.

But if the demands are as high as some have reported? No problem. Play it out. Play out this year for $2 million and risk an Alex Smith injury, or poor play. And then get tagged for the next two years or let go into free agency if things go south.

You go ahead and take that risk guys.

WillieBeamen likes this.
  7. stasheroo

58,940 Messages
    64,032 Likes Received
    I'll also focus on the decision making, and not just arm talent, thanks. Dak is far better there.

8. Sydla

Sydla Well-Known Member

39,471 Messages
    57,760 Likes Received
    Oh so one game and one season is all that matters? Should we look at 2017 and how they fared head to head and what team made the playoffs and what team didn't?

Or is 2018 the only year that matters?

9. kumizi

kumizi Well-Known Member

2,154 Messages
    2,900 Likes Received
    Lmao are you using Derek Carr as a good example of why Dak should get paid big money? Dak fans aren’t too bright.

Carr was better at the time than Dak is now and that contract has still been a fail for the team.

10. baltcowboy

2,143 Messages
    2,039 Likes Received
    Dak is 26, while Ryan is in his 30s. Dak has the better future. I believe.

11. Sydla

Sydla Well-Known Member

39,471 Messages
    57,760 Likes Received
    Ryan has done it already. Dak hasn't.

Ryan is the better QB. Note, I am not suggesting we acquire Ryan.

But right now, one is a better QB than the other.

CATCH17 likes this.
  12. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

48,713 Messages
    42,287 Likes Received
    Because Dak doesn't have to carry a team.

That's my whole point. WE get a QB with better arm talent and won't be forced to carry the load.

Derek Carr would have time to throw, a RB to rely on, and a really talented group of WR's.

13. Swanny

Swanny Well-Known Member

2,073 Messages
    2,744 Likes Received
    Then we are going to agree to disagree. No point in arguing when we just aren't going to agree. You have your opinion I have mine.

All I can say is that Dak hasn't shown enough to this point to be worth a large chunk of salary cap space. Let the guy play out this season and we should know much more. I hope he proves that he is worth every cent he is asking for.

14. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member

46,564 Messages
    33,470 Likes Received
    I stay out of this contract argument and just want him signed.
    But no
    Other than football or salary cap,
    no, there are not other phanthom reasons

15. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

48,713 Messages
    42,287 Likes Received
    I agree and Matt Ryan is overrated too but at least he can throw for 30+ TD's.

We're going to pay a QB stupid money who has never thrown 30 TD's.. lol

16. stasheroo

58,940 Messages
    64,032 Likes Received
    And
    Undeniably so, but again, I wonder if he'll ever have enough of the mental part of the game to put it all together? I still see a player capable of making some ridiculous, bush-league decisions at times.

The arm talent is undoubtedly there.

17. baltcowboy

2,143 Messages
    2,039 Likes Received
    I hear you. I just think Ryan is like what the talking heads say about Dak. He is product of the talent around him. Best reciever in the game, strong running game and good offensive line. You take the line away. He is average. Like last year.

18. Sydla

Sydla Well-Known Member

39,471 Messages
    57,760 Likes Received
    To some, it's simply a question of do you pay an average QB a big contract under the guise of "oh well, in 5 years it won't be that big a contract".

Pay the QB big money because he's a big time QB. Not because, hey, in a few years, his money won't look that bad. That's a really bad business.

Because in 3 years, if Dak Prescott is an average QB that can't get the team over the hump, it won't matter where he ranks in the pecking order of QB pay. The only thing that will matter is the Cowboys are taking a massive cap hit for a QB that can't get it done.

That's the point.

stasheroo likes this.
  19. Brax

Brax Well-Known Member

1,932 Messages
    1,716 Likes Received
    We get it, it's just his turn to get paid regardless that's he's a middle (15-25) level QB. I know hater, troll, stupid, (insert what ever name you and your buddies like) don't get it because it doesn't fit the narrative you want to project, but paying top money for a lower tier QB just doesn't make sense. Play him out and franchise him ,as for a trade maybe they can get their 4th back because there isn't any team stepping up to pay Dak #1 money and give up any #1 pick. Paying Dak average QB money with incentives for performance is all Dak is worth. Dak will never be a top 10 let alone 5 QB in my opinion and paying him elite money is just plain stupid. In your world and the rest of the Dak devotee's just pay the man because it's his turn not because of his performance. It is just a plain dumb way to view it.

20. Sydla

Sydla Well-Known Member

39,471 Messages
    57,760 Likes Received
    Like last year?

Ryan threw for nearly 5000 yards, completed nearly 70% of his passes, threw 35 TDs against only 7 interceptions with a rating of 108 and a QBR of 70.

Matt Ryan was not "average" last year. Come on dude.

WillieBeamen and stasheroo like this.